Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ties Anyone? Sign In/Join 
Picture of mcpatches
posted
I'm doing a cleaning and destashing in my sewing room. I've got 3 medium flat rate boxes of men's ties up for grabs. Each box has about 40 ties in it and one, two or three boxes are yours for the postage of $12.35 a box. First come, first served. PM me with you name and address. I'll take check, cash, money order or paypal and will send out your ties when postage is received! Thanks!

Posts: 5675 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
What a hoot it would be to send these to my SIL. He has been whining all week on facebook about having to wear a tie at work as part of the winter uniform.

Hope you get a new home for them.

Madelyn

Posts: 6047 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
Hey MC sent you a PM

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 708 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
My sister has been collecting ties for years. I don't know what she ever plans to do with them because she doesn't sew anymore. Were you saving them to make a Dresden plate quilt?

Devonne

Posts: 14932 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
No Devonne, no dresden plate quilt. I had two different patterns to make tie purses - one using one novelty tie and making a mini purse and one other one making a pouch like bag. And I wanted to make a bow tie quilt from old ties, too. Never got around to any of those projects and not likely to now. Need the space. Hurt my feeling to just throw them away so offered them to quilty friends.

Kayla, answering your PM.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcpatches,

Posts: 5675 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I have all I need. But this is a good buy! I bought some for $1 each at Good Will to make purses...which hasn't happened yet.

Posts: 16599 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I have oodles of my dad's ties and some of my grandfather's too. Just curious about the purses you mentioned. where did you find the patterns? I'm guessing they need to be stabilized first because of the bias cut?

piney

Posts: 3127 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cuilteanna
posted Hide Post
I made these a few years ago to hold the nieces' Christmas cash. I know I still have the pattern somewhere!

Now that dh is unemployed I've looked at a few more of his ties... especially the one with the state of NH / Old Man of the Mountain printed on it!

Posts: 986 | Location: Baile Átha Cliath | Registered: May 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
cuilteanna, I think that's one of the patterns I was going to make. Here's one link to a tutorial

http://www.craftster.org/forum...5985.0#axzz2iwCFLVXd

same purse, differnt link

http://craftbits.com/project/neck-tie-school-bag/

I can't find the other one, which was just a little evening type bag right now, but there are a LOT of patterns on the internet.

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post

Picture of cuilteanna
posted Hide Post
Mine were small and used only one tie, I've found something close but not exactly right:
http://craftymathea.blogspot.c...-purse-from-tie.html

I'm fairly sure I got it from here, but it was a couple of years ago!

Posts: 986 | Location: Baile Átha Cliath | Registered: May 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
All boxes are spoken for. I went and opened a couple of the bags packed in the boxes and played with the pretty bright ties a little this morning and wished I had more time for sewing so I could do have the things I plan!

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I sorted my acquired ties this evening. DH swore one was his so he brought his out. He was wrong because I knew better than to get into his ties. But he did donate one to the cause.

I sorted and matched and have two purses to make now. LOL I'll just be using 3 ties on each side of the purse...no more than 4...I think the majority of these are from the 1970s. WIDE ties.

Posts: 16599 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
Mcpatches if there are any still available I will take them and you can ship to my sisters house please, I use them for Christmas stockings, CQ ...and have been collecting certain colors for a quilt, and have been making beautiful bags. Oh do you have paypal?
Trish

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7023 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the links. I have printed the one out from craftymathea. I tried the craftster and craftbits link but they take too long on dial-up. I'll give it a try later, right now I'm still settling Dad's estate and getting the house ready to go on the market in the spring.

For those looking for a certain color, some of us might have extras we would share.

cuilteanna, I'm intrigued with the state of NH/Old Man of the Mountain one. Do you remember where he got it?

DH has one that looks like a fish. Remember those from the 1980's?

piney

Posts: 3127 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cuilteanna
posted Hide Post
Piney, it was from George's in Manchester. I may have to buy one for myself because he isn't giving it up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cuilteanna,

Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I can see why he won't give up his tie. Very nice. I haven't been to George's in quite some time.......before we moved up north.

piney