Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS, 2013 --- SIGN UPS ARE ENDED -- TECHNICALLY
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS, 2013 --- SIGN UPS ARE ENDED -- TECHNICALLY Sign In/Join 
Picture of Quilter Chris
posted
October 1st is here. It's time to start getting ready for the 2013 12 Days of Christmas Swap. Below are the details:

DETAILS:

Each participant makes 12 handmade gift items (may all be the same or 12 different). They are to be gift wrapped with a "From" tag showing your board name on them and mailed to the hostess. In order to keep things somewhat organized, please ship all packages to me and send me a PM that they are coming. I will send you my address when you send me the initial PM that you wish to participate. When all have arrived, I will swap them with the help of my spouse and send each player back 12 Wrapped Gifts. We will all open them together, one per day, starting on December 12, 2013. We will be opening our last gift on Christmas Eve.

SIGNUPS begin now and close on November 1st. To sign up, send Me a PM stating that you want to play and giving your Board Name, Real Name, mailing address, a phone # contact, and email addy. I will send you my snail mail info. Participants will not be added to the list until their info PMM is received. Remember, the more the merrier, so let your friends know about the sign-ups, too.

You can mail your packages any time you are ready. (Please put 12 Days Swap on the outside of the box.) The gifts, however, must be mailed to me so that I have them by November 22nd. That will give me about a week and a half to get them swapped and mailed back to you by December 9th. This is about the same amount of time as last year and it worked out well. I am sure that most of you already have started working on your presents (I have). PLEASE USE DELIVERY CONFIRMATION ON YOUR PACKAGE. This is part of the fee for the box and it makes things a lot easier for me if there is a problem. Send a PM to me with your confirmation number once your package is on its way.

I will be mailing the packages back to you using USPS Priority Mail boxes so you must include $17 for return postage (the large USPS PM box costs $16.85 which includes tracking. The medium USPS PM box costs $12.35 which includes tracking). I will use the medium box if I can depending on the size of the gifts. If so, any change that you have coming will be returned with your packages. I tried something else last year at the suggestion of a few participants and a few people got upset about not receiving their overages -- made a donation of what was left to a food pantry. If this idea still sounds good to you let me know specifically in your PM and I will act accordingly.

The only hard and fast rules are:

Nothing fragile
Nothing Perishable
Nothing with odor (perfumes, smoke, animal dander, etc.)

Please don't try to skimp by and send something too cheesy (like a yoyo with a pin on the back or a piece of recycled wrapping paper torn into the shape of a tree with a piece of ribbon through the top) and call it a gift. Make something nice that you would like to receive.
Test your creative skills. The gifts can be any items you personally make and you don't have to spend a lot of money on them. They don't have to be a Christmas theme; don't have to be sewn or quilted items. In past swaps I have had everything: jewelry, knitted items, tatted items, crochet items, pot holders, Christmas stockings, small wall hangings, oven dresses, hand made greeting card sets, numerous craft items, etc. Also, try to vary what you're sending as a lot of the same people are in this swap from year to year and will already have an item from previous years.

Keep your gift item a secret so we can be surprised. Hints and ticklers, though, are welcomed and help generate excitement!

DATES:

Signups begin now and end on November 1st. The packages must be in my hands by November 22nd. I will swap the packages and mail back so that you all have them by December 9th-10th. Opening begins on December 12th and proceeds thru December 24th. OK I am person #1 who is next?

PLAYERS:

1. Quilter Chris
2. KaylaQuilts
3. Quilter Jen
4. LanaR
5. justaquiltin'
6. nylirose
7. PatV82
8. angelinamor
9. motqltr
10. elsie123
11. Lilac Sue
12. lynnsews
13. Fishingwidow
14. AngelaC
15. Karrie Lynn
16. Patricia Anne
17. thimble lady
18. DJillM
19. Shawkl
20. gemsq
21. joyfulsewer

P.S. JUST TO CLARIFY -- I WILL BE HOSTING THE SWAP THIS YEAR BY MYSELF. LINDAJ52 HAS OTHER COMMITMENTS AND WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO HELP.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quilter Chris,

Posts: 176 | Location: Saint Anne, Illinois | Registered: Jul 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thinking about it... leaving on the 24th to go back home to visit family.

Does anyone have pictures of what they made last year to get an idea of how involved the gift should be?

Posts: 1977 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
This sounds like fun since this will be my first holiday with the board please sign me up I will send you a PM with the requested info. Wave

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 767 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in! This swap is so fun and the items you get are great. Sending you a pm

Posts: 671 | Location: Ashley, IL | Registered: Feb 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never mind- you gave ideas in the post-- sign me up as well!

Posts: 1977 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nylirose
posted Hide Post
Hi
I would like to join. This is my favorite swap. Thanks for doing this. I sent you a pm. Nylirose

Posts: 25 | Location: Maple Park/Illinois/usa | Registered: Oct 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
This sounds so fun. I loved the Secret Pals my old guilt guild used to do.

Sign me up. Sending you a PM

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 491 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PM sent with my info

Picture of Quilter Chris
posted Hide Post
Good morning ladies,

With the host I have seven sign ups on the first day. Wow, I truly hope it continues. We are all going to have so much fun. I am well into my gifts. How about all of you. Quilter Chris

Posts: 176 | Location: Saint Anne, Illinois | Registered: Jul 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My items I pretty well finished up last night.

Posts: 671 | Location: Ashley, IL | Registered: Feb 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of justaquiltin'
posted Hide Post
Finished mine last month, just waiting to wrap and ship.

Posts: 281 | Location: , | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of angelinamor
posted Hide Post
Oooh oooh oooh!

I LOVE this swap! I've participated every year.

Please sign me up. My gifties are done but still gotta wrap them up and ship!

I can't wait until the 12 days before Christmas!!! ;-)

Posts: 671 | Location: colorado | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quilter Chris
posted Hide Post
Hi ladies,

I have 8 so far and I guess about 1/2 are either done or almost done. Wow. You guys are really into the 12 days. I am so glad. But we can not proceed until we have at least 12 people. Pass along the suggestions of joining us to your other quilt board members. Quilter Chris

posted Hide Post
I just started mine last night- no where near done! But if there are 12 swappers, I will meet the mailing deadline got 80% of the cutting ton and some of the sewing.

Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
I just sent you a PM. Sign me up please!

Posts: 1441 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
me, me!!
will send PM

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3687 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
Can you give me some ideas of what would be acceptable gifts? I didn't follow this one last year...

Posts: 10723 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
CBQ, last year I made these luggage tags. I'll look to see if I still have a picture of what I received.

Posts: 1441 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find pictures in my file from last year, but you can look here and see them in my blog. There was a wall hanging, book markers, pin cushions, pot holders, mug rugs, notepaper, a covered notebook, and thread holder. I don't think any of us spent a lot of money. Shop from your stash, and if you need a pattern or instructions there's a lot available when you do an internet search. Hope you join us!

Try this link, I think it will take you there.

http://elsielogsherblogs.blogs...hristmas-to-all.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: elsie123,

Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
Thanks Elsie for sharing last year's goodies. I enjoyed your blog very much.

I've got half of mine cut out so that's good progress for me this early. And seeing your different fabrics reassured me that I don't have to have 12 identical items - just same pattern.

Smiles & Stitches

www.pinterest.com/patv82

Posts: 491 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
Ohhhh! The luggage tags are so pretty AND useful.. They are inspiring me.

Posts: 3699 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: Jul 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quilter Chris
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help elsie123. Well we have 11 anyone for number 12 which makes this a go for this year. Actually I think we need 12 without me. So that means we need 2 move -- 12 and 13 LOL. I hope this really goes over big. It really is such fun and I have made such a great choice for my gifts this year. OOOOhhhh I think you will love them. Quilter Chris

P.S. Is that a YES thimble lady. Let me know.

Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
I have a question. Can we mix up our 12 items, and they're not the same type of thing? Say 6 luggage tags, and 6 pot holders? Or do they need to be all the same thing, but okay for different colors?

posted Hide Post
Thanks Elsie! I loved your blog and the photo's are very nice.

I'm thinking... thinking.... Wink

Posts: 10723 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking about this...

Posts: 4733 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sign me up. I have my gift idea, just need to start sewing.

Posts: 179 | Location: Lombard, IL USA | Registered: Sep 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
Elsie's question jogged my thoughts - Do we need to let the swap hostess know what we are making so we don't duplicate?

www.pinterest.com/patv82

Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
Quilter, that is "Im thinking about it". Ill make it clear when I decide. Thanks for asking.

Posts: 3699 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: Jul 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mandylifeboats
posted Hide Post
no PatV82, we don't have to let hostess know what we are making.

Posts: 5079 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quilter Chris
posted Hide Post
Well Ladies,

It is October 10 and we are official. With me included we have 13 participants. That allows us to go ahead with the swap. I am sure you all would love more participants. Any other takers????

Quilter Chris

Picture of Quilter Chris
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the assist mandylifeboats. Since I am a participant also I want to be surprised when I open. No telling please. LOL Quilter Chris

posted Hide Post
I have another week to decide, right? Smile I am hoping to have a very good sewing weekend to get myself caught up, then I'll be able to better judge my time. Wink

Picture of Quilter Chris
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone,

It looks like we are stalled a little bit. A few of you are still deciding, I hope it's a yes decision, we would love to have you all. Have a good holiday and I will check in with everyone next week. Quilter Chris

Picture of Quilter Chris
posted Hide Post
I am still waiting for the fence sitters to say yes. We would love to have you all as part of the 12 days swap. Quilter Chris

Picture of angelinamor
posted Hide Post
My mom, Fishingwidow, is visiting me. She said she would like to sign up for this swap, so please add her to the list. She'll PM her info as soon as I let her back onto the computer! Wink

Posts: 671 | Location: colorado | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slowly working on my gifts-- doing some hand work since I pulled or tweaked my hamstring doing yard work, so trying to stay seated today.

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I think I might be up for this this year...Since I have a couple of days left to think about it I'll see if I can come up with something I'd like to make...

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5243 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lynnsews
posted Hide Post
Please sign me up! I sent you a PM (I think it went through) hope so. I think this will be fun!

Posts: 8 | Location: Church Hill, TN | Registered: Oct 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Worked on mine (or at least the hand work for mine) today.

posted Hide Post
Sorry but I'm going to pass this time. I looked at my calendar and yikes! I think I need a free month to get caught up. Wink

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I've decided to join you this year! I was able to do the prep work this weekend & get a few of them made, so I'm in Smile

Posts: 4733 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quilter Chris
posted Hide Post
Hi Ladies,

We are slowly gathering speed. I am hoping we top last year with more than 20 participants. We still have a week to decide and then a month to create. The items do not have to be elaborate just made with love LOL. Quilter Chris

P.S. Mine are coming along nicely!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quilter Chris,

posted Hide Post
Just clarifying- they can be 12 different things, or do you prefer all the same things? I have 12 different things almost done (lots of hand cutting, etc. sitting on the couch), just clarifying.

Picture of Quilter Chris
posted Hide Post
Quilter Jen it is your choice as long as the items meet the requirements stated in the beginning. Quilter Chris

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
last year I made wine (stem) glass coasters the base of the glass fits in it...similar to the wine charms.

~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3687 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
here's a pic of what I rec'd.
the mugrugs I rec'd are what got me interested in joining this year mugrug swaps

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I'm abt 1/2 way done with what I'm doing for this year. Took a break to make dottee dolls for the swap. I also had to make a baby blankie, 2 more baby blankies to make.
I have Tuesdays off work and need to go sew b4 my 2 pm class.

Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
Alright I have my prep work done. Barring any diasters this week or next I should be able to get done. Sign me up!

Posts: 545 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
Im want in on the fun so sign me up also. You probably have my info but if not Im unable to send out a pm. But if you send me one I can reply. Its one of HGTVs little tricks, I guess. Go figure.

posted Hide Post
Chris: just sent you a PM

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post