Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Christmas Dotee Doll Swap - In The Mail - Tacking Numbers Posted
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas Dotee Doll Swap - In The Mail - Tacking Numbers Posted Sign In/Join 
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
and Santa came bearing a gift in his sack...

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25900 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Let's say to send no more than 8 each since there are only 11 signed up.

If you want to send less than 8, that is ok too. Noone has to make any set number.

Just remember the size requirements.. Due date is November 21st. This is TO me.. not mailed by... Please mail by November 16th so they reach me in time. I would really appreciate this from everyone. Smile

Swappers:

Quiltaholic
Gonesewin
lindaj52
JLu
Edna
Mary J
fishingwidow
Shawkl
Kentucky Sunshine
bluesnail
Rockin Bobbin
Ely

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quiltaholic,

Posts: 25900 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
You have quite the collection I love them all. Santa is my fav.

J Lu

Posts: 1145 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yah....I remember her now.
A sweet doll for a special person!

Posts: 2228 | Registered: Apr 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
I haven't had time yet to get mine out for photos, but love seeing yours Q

My mind has been churning and lots of ideas are lurking Smile

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7125 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
how are you going to work postage for the return of the dolls?

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5212 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craftynorma
posted Hide Post
I love seeing the kindness that is here with you all.
Thanks for letting me stop by.

Posts: 824 | Location: calif, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Postage rules are as usual.. Send the same amount of postage as it takes to send to me plus include an extra 2.00.

Some people in the past have wanted to short change what they send as opposed to how much it took to mail to me..

I ask that you send the exact amount it takes to mail to me and then include the extra 2.00 I truly appreciate this.

Any change will come back with your dolls.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quiltaholic,

posted Hide Post
Q. Are we supposed to label these? I have already been bitten by the bug...and have one nearly finished...these are so addictive

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7125 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
You can if you want to but it isn't mandatory. They make a narrow ribbon that is great for signatures using permanent pens but I am not sure how easily accessible it is.

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I have one done and am working on a second

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5212 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Q. just wanted to check before I got too far along Smile

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
I'm just making sure my count is right 8?

J Lu

Posts: 1145 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ELY/SYSSY
posted Hide Post
HI LADIES
Q PUT MY NAME IN THE LIST I WILL LOVE TO DO THIS SWAP. YES LADIES AM BACK.
LOVE ELY

Posts: 1784 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: Dec 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
welcome aboard Ely! Smile

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
We have room for more if you want to play.

posted Hide Post
I was inspired while watching Mr. Poppers Penguins with Caleb, he loves that movie! I tought I was very fitting to, as we have the adorable fairy penguins here Smile

I might tweak him a bit,but he was really fun to make!

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
He is adorable!!

posted Hide Post
Toooo darn cute.

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
I have 7 together just need to bling them up a bit. This was my second go round I hated my first. Now I'm getting the hang of it. Still want to make sure of the right count? Can you help me out.

J Lu

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
up to 8

posted Hide Post
I have 3 completed, and the rest sewn and stuffed, I just need to embellish them...Caleb has such an eye for detail, he reminded me that penguins have "a bit of orange on them" so he got a bit of a makeover...

penguin dotee doll

posted Hide Post
I had to make another Santa Dotee...

posted Hide Post
I have to admit, this lil' candycane Dotee is going to be hard to part with, I just love her and think she turned out adorable...I can see me making another one of these...

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I LOVE her!!!

Ladies... I will be out of pocket until next Monday. I will be in Huntsville, AL vending at a quilt show and will be back on Monday. Butch will be here farming so if you need to send anything go ahead because he will get the mail each day.

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Oh my goodness I love them. You are so lucky to have gotten such a great pair

J Lu

posted Hide Post
July I made these dotees for this swap Smile

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
Is it too late, as if I need one more project. I hadn't seen this until today. They look small enough, I could probly make some.

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3674 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Oh my goodness I didn't read that. I'm hoping I get one of yours. You are quite the artist KS. I hope you like what I'm doing. I might have to go back and rethink mine for the third time.

J Lu

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quiltaholic:
We have room for more if you want to play.

Q. Posted this a few days ago, so I'd say you could still play, you can make and swap as little as one dotee doll or make and swap up to 8 Smile they are very fun and addictive!

Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post
I'm working away on my little dolls in my spare time. I have one more farmers' market day and then I start the fall craft shows, but I think that I should be able to get my 8 dolls done (I hope). I know that I will have at least 3 (that's how many are almost done now). Can't wait to get my package of dolls. I think that they will be the ornies on my tree this year.

LindaJ52

Posts: 2394 | Location: Clifton, IL, USA | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
motqltr... please join us. Smile

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
I'm not happy with mine. I'm going to rethink this

J Lu

posted Hide Post
J Lu, I googled christmas coloring pages for basic shapes and just shrank them down to the right size, I also free handed a few body styles a few years ago and use them in most swaps because they are really good basic shapes, the fun thing about these little dolls is their faces which is what gives them their personalities, I use a combination of pigma pens and prisma colored pencils which have soft leads in them that can be heat set with an iron, and I usually draw my faces on with a disappearing ink (the purple pen) then color them in, leave them overnight for the ink to vanish then heat set and continue on with the doll.....I always look at the dollar stores for interesting pony tail holders that can be turned into hair, and use yarn, eyelash fringe, fake fur what ever is handy for hair. I hope this will help you, please don't stress, and have fun making your pretties...

Trish

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kentucky_Sunshine,

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Jan... You are very creative... I am sure you are being your own worst critic... Wanna give us a peek..

Kentucky Sunshine has given you some great info above..

Just don't stress... have fun...

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Thank you ladies for the vote of confidence I needed it. I'm going downstairs and getting back on that horse.

J Lu

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Trish,

Your little dotties are so cute! The little candy cane girl is so clever!

Posts: 4644 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
OK, trying to work on these; I have several ready to sew, but I must have difficulty w/ directions (my mugrugs are always bigger too), they are abt 6" long. Is that acceptable or not? I will try to finish them today and mail tomorrow, they should make it to NC by Monday.

~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3674 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
If the body is 6 inches long, they are too long as the rules state to not have them longer than 4 1/2 inches... if the 6 inches includes the drop of beads from the body, that is ok.

if your body is 6 inches, just take in a bigger seam around the bottom of the doll to make it shorter.

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
OK, I trimmed and stuffed, need to sew the opening down. Still hope to mail tomorrow

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Wow, y'all are moving right along. I have not even gotten started yet!

I'm on side three of binding my brother's kingsize quilt...and when it's done...the Dotties are next. Gosh I'm so tired of this quilt...I'd work on dolls sooner if one of y'all would come visit and finish this binding!!

Hugs,

Posts: 4644 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awww Kathy, you have no idea how much I'd enjoy sitting and sewing that binding just to have a chat with you, I so enjoy your company! I'm still working away on mine, not as much work this week as there were so many appointments and just so busy, but I did have a play with them this morning at my sit and sew, and 3 more are very close to being finished Smile

posted Hide Post
I have 3 finished and a 4th face all dolled-up and ready for a body. I think 4 is the most I'll get around to.
Can't wait to see all these little gals (or guys, or whatever).
JLu, how are you coming along? I bet you'll do great with these...they're so much fun. Sometimes less is more, and sometimes they need to be all decked out! IT's up to you - have fun.

Picture of emb115724
posted Hide Post
I have four finished , and would like to help
you Kathy with your binding, I have a quilt in my Gracey thats needs me to finish too and still have two pot holder to make for a swap. Git er done soon ♥

This message has been edited. Last edited by: emb115724,

" Prayer is for the soul what nourishments is for the body."

Posts: 877 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Well I have to say plan B did work. I'm on my 4th now and yes after you start blinking them up they really come to life. I want to thank you again Kentucky Sunshine for the tips. I am so obsessive with everything I do. I hate that I am like that. I hope you'll like what I did. Your right they are addicting. I've decided to go back to my A plan and rethink them. I'm going on my guild retreat next week so I'm hoping to be finished with these little guys before I leave. Rockin I know yours are going to be awesome. I just love your work. FYI! I'm almost done my RR quilt.

J Lu

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
Oh and I panicked for nothing, I thought Thearica needed them by October 21st. Well, I have 6 done and that's it for me, they are going in today's mail.
These are my 1st attempt and I hope everyone likes them.

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Ok I'm up to 7 and still running.

J Lu

Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
well, now. Won't that just teach me to read the rules a little bit more carefully. i whipped up several snowmen today...but it looks like they'll end up being a 2-ball snowman instead of the 3-ball ones sitting on my sewing table. Oh, well. Live and learn.

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2279 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Finally...the binding is finished on this huge quilt...and my fingers are sore.

Today is Dottee Day! My head is full of ideas...let's hope that a few of them actually come together!

Loving the photos being shown...hope to see more!

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
I just packed up my kids. I had to put them away where I could not obsess anymore. Leaving them out gave me to much time to look for something else to add. They will be in he mail on Monday. They are wrapped individually but, that is just to keep them safe. You can leave them or look at them T. There is 8 of them I'm hoping they all pass with flying colors, it's my first time also Motqltr. If not you can send them back home to mama.

J Lu