Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Christmas Dotee Doll Swap - In The Mail - Tacking Numbers Posted
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas Dotee Doll Swap - In The Mail - Tacking Numbers Posted Sign In/Join 
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted
Christmas Dotee Doll Swap

These will be Christmas themed and would need to be embellished accordingly. Doll bodies can be no larger than 4 1/2 inches long.. beads may hang longer than this from the bottom... but the main body is to be 4 1/2 inches or shorter.

Due date to me: November 21 (this gives 10 weeks to make your dolls)

I will then have time to sort and get them back to you by the first of December in time for them to be displayed for Christmas.

Number of dolls you can send will be up to 8.

Postage rules are as usual.. Send the same amount of postage as it takes to send to me plus include an extra 2.00.

Some people in the past have wanted to short change what they send as opposed to how much it took to mail to me..

I ask that you send the exact amount it takes to mail to me and then include the extra 2.00 I truly appreciate this.

Any change will come back with your dolls.

You definitely will not be making a doll for every person in the swap so don't stress about that. You can make up to 8 and as few as one. it is all up to you.

Anyone else interested? You can still sign up even though we are busy making Dotee's already.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quiltaholic,

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25668 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
example

Posts: 25668 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post

Picture of Mary J
posted Hide Post
Thinking about it. Smile

Posts: 5174 | Location: Cornfields of Indiana | Registered: Sep 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I would LOVE to participate in this swap!

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4914 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
Maybe.

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2189 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Bluesnail.. My witch needs a Santa hunk to keep her company. lol

Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
I would probably do this as long as I didn't have to make 12 of them. And Bluesnail gave me some stuff to make them when we were in SC (I think).

Mary

Posts: 3935 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
How about that, Mary. The memory has not gone! I taught a class in those dolls at the NC retreat. So if you were in the class, you should have some stuff to get started.

I hear you, Q. Just not sure what a Dotee Santa would look like! LOL And I'm still a "maybe".

Posts: 2189 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I have one Santa that Kentucky Sunshine made me but he is about 4 inches... He is cute cute. Smile

Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post
Oooh, I loved doing these the last time. Count me in. I have a large collection of Chr*stmas fabrics and some ideas. Maybe an elf or two and Mrs. Santa, and, of course, the big guy himself. Thanks for doing this, Thearica.

LindaJ52

Posts: 2387 | Location: Clifton, IL, USA | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
awesome!

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Question...

Say we make twelve dolls...can they be the same? Or would they need to each be different?

Just trying to clarify...

Still on the fence...

Hugs

Posts: 4610 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Just in case our numbers are low, I would ask that each of your dolls be different so no-one winds up with 2 identical dolls.

Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post
I cut out a bunch of face pieces and have started drawing on prelim faces. I'll either embroider or paint them. Then on to the bodies and trims. Can you tell that I'm excited about this swap? Hope we get enough folks signed up to make a good variety.

LindaJ52

Posts: 2387 | Location: Clifton, IL, USA | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Oh my goodness Q, you know I can't stand not getting involved in one more swap. Question is there a pattern somewhere or do I just make it up as I go along? I want in. I'm going to be watching my grand babies next week and this would probably be a great craft idea to keep them busy.

J Lu

Posts: 934 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of emb115724
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in this swap love the ones I have from the other swap. count me in
Edna

" Prayer is for the soul what nourishments is for the body."

Posts: 866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Jan... You just make them up as you go... See the rules for size though.. these are supposed to be on the small side so we don't want large overstuffed ones. They are prissy and petite. Smile

Our numbers are going up... Smile

Swappers:

Quiltaholic
Gonesewin
lindaj52
JLu
Edna
Mary J
fishingwidow

Possible Swappers -

bluesnail
Shawkl

Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post
And, Jan - they are addictive. The last time we did this swap, I not only made the ones for the swap (I think 6), but I made one for each of my sisters, nieces and great nieces. I'll probably do the same thing again this year, since they'll be Chr*stmas ones.

LindaJ52

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Right, I know I was thinking about that Linda. My DH said what are you going to do with theses. I said hang them on my tree. He says you ain't got no more room on that tree. I said I need another tree. LOL! I agree making them as gifts is a great idea. I'm excited about this challenge already.

J Lu

Posts: 934 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary J
posted Hide Post
Switch me from the Possible Swappers list to the Swappers list!! Big Grin

Posts: 5174 | Location: Cornfields of Indiana | Registered: Sep 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
awesome!

Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
Can anyone tell me what is a Dotee Doll? I see the pictures and can get an idea of how to make. But just wondering what they are supposed to be?

Posts: 722 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
A Dotee doll is a simple little small doll created for the pure joy of creating a little gift for a friend...and they are intendeed for swapping.

The first Dotee doll was created by a lady named Dot living in Russia. I have not seen hers, and the weblinks are no longer good. I have read that the original ones were made of felt.

Over the past few years they have transitioned in size to measure from 1-7 inches, some include legs/arms/hair and others do not.

If you go to flickr.com and search for dottee doll you will indeed see hundreds of variations. They are pretty quick to do if the swap guidelines don't get too complicated.

Edited to add: The doll requires a hanger (loop of ribbon, etc) at the top...and some beads or legs at the bottom. Other than that, most anything goes!

Here's my dotties completed for our last swap...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shawkl,

Posts: 4610 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
This is a baby dottee...

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
They are to cute. I just spent two days looking at thousands of those little guys. I'm really excited to see what I get back.

J Lu

Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

Haven't been on line much lately. But you can move me to the swappers list. I have some ideas for the dolls.

Mary

Posts: 3935 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
YAY!!

Swappers:

Quiltaholic
Gonesewin
lindaj52
JLu
Edna
Mary J
fishingwidow

Possible Swappers -

bluesnail
Shawkl

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'm getting off the fence...

Sign me up! I can manage one per person...up to twelve maximum.

Hugs,

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Yay come on Snail you can do this. One crawl at a time. I have so many ideas for this.

J Lu

Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
Thinking...posting has been a disaster for me lately...but I have been asking when the next swap was for ages...lol

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7023 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
yep.. so come on and add yourself to the swappers side of the fence. Smile

Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post

Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
Q. my health as been all over te map this year, and I've spent nearly as much time in the hospital as out...but I've had a good few weeks and have dusted off my machine...and if I gather upmy goods and get the bodies sewn and suffed I can embellish them in or out of the hospital ...so please sign me up Smile as I remember saying more than once that I wanted to do another Christmas swap...I love these on my tree, not sure which makes me smile the most, the fact that they are each unique or the thought that my quilty friends get to celebrate in a small way at my house...lol

Hugs Trish

oh just a thought...I'll get mine out later and take pics...but lets have a little eye candy and show of our previous dotees please Smile A bit of inspiration for the new swappers

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7023 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
OK.. Lois... We are waiting for you. Smile

Swappers:

Quiltaholic
Gonesewin
lindaj52
JLu
Edna
Mary J
fishingwidow
Shawkl
Kentucky Sunshine

Possible Swappers -

bluesnail

Picture of Mary J
posted Hide Post
Sorry your health has not been the best Trish, hope you get better. Glad you will be able to join in on the swap!

Here is a pic of the Christmas dotee dolls I got a couple years ago.

Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
OK. Consider my arm twisted. Sign me up.

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
YAY!! It's a full house!

Let's say to send no more than 8 each since there are only 10 signed up.

If you want to send less than 8, that is ok too., Noone has to make any set number. Smile

Just remember the size requirements..

Swappers:

Quiltaholic
Gonesewin
lindaj52
JLu
Edna
Mary J
fishingwidow
Shawkl
Kentucky Sunshine
bluesnail
Rockin Bobbin

posted Hide Post
I will play - I love Dotees.

Posts: 2162 | Registered: Apr 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard Tonya! I was making photos of mine this week and do you remember that you sent me my very first Dotee Doll!

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
My Dotee collection..

I have gifted a few to a little girl from the Netherlands. Her mommy and I became friends via my blog. She was sick and in the hospital so I sent her a quilt and some Dotees.

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
My babies were made by Roolen and another board member... I hope they see this and remind me of who they are...

The pink gingham pig was made by everythingquilts. Smile

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
My little red head was made by kentucky Sunshine. She also has on little red glass shoes.

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Edited to say that Bluesnail actually made this blonde beauty for me. Smile

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Roolen also made the little girl...

Kentucky Sunshine made my Santa. Smile

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Tonya (Rockin Bobbin) made my very first Dotee... I love the little flower on her belly.

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Ely made my other blonde baby

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
DecPainter made my pig mermaid

Nicki made the little girl with the hat on

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Roolen sent me this Santa one year for Christmas...