Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Monochromatic CQ RR~share in our pictures of these blocks and stitches with us!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monochromatic CQ RR~share in our pictures of these blocks and stitches with us! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Ambher
posted Hide Post
My DH is helping me post my block . . . it goes from ecru to brown . . .

Posts: 212 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
Ambher, I hope we're in the same group. You picked one of my favorite colors to work with, And I have a ton of stuff I could add to your block. And looking through my CQing stuff, I guess I have lots and lots of whatever color blocks arrive at my house. LOL

Going to try to add a photo of my own block here.
Well, how about that! It worked!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bluesnail,

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2223 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
ok i'm in. i will post my block tomorrow as i'm not home right now.

patsy

Posts: 3477 | Registered: Sep 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Ladies,

I have kind of been in overload here and not online much the past couple weeks. Getting my head above water now though.

So got most of my fabrics pulled and will get the tush in gear and get it sewed so will do that and post. Going upstairs to sew as soon as I get off of here.

And I WILL be able to be ready by May 1, also.

Mary

Posts: 3985 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjeannes
posted Hide Post
May 1 will be fine for me. I should be home by the end of this week (new grandson) and should only need a day to get a block together.

The ones done already look great!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Posts: 1800 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Feb 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Hi again,

Put my block together. Had some blue/green fabrics that I liked and put them together.

So here is my block.

Mary

PS - That one fabric looks a little grey to me but it is a greeny blue. Also found that beaded lace with blue green beads so I sewed it on.

Congrats on that new grandbaby, bjeans.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fishingwidow,

Posts: 3985 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
i'm in and here is my block. i know it's not a true monochromatic block because it has a piece of green in it. but i love this block. Nicklee made it for me last year and i think this is the perfect time to use it. i love lavenders. so i hope you ladies who get my block don't mind that i'm using it.

Patsy

Picture of holee
posted Hide Post
I'm in. Here's my bad photo of my block. It goes from whites to tan's to gold. The pink is only a ribbon holding it together.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Great block Bea...

I love working in neutrals and browns. My block is also neutrals...with the range for thread white to dark brown.

Looks like we'll be working in lot's of green and purple by the other photos as well!

Can hardly wait to start! I'm anxious to see what group I'll be in and whose block I get to work on!

Posts: 4633 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
I'm getting excited to share. Here is my block, Blue tones.
I laid a scrapbook template over a pieced quilt top and then stitched the inside of the boxes. I then traced the same template on front and back of cardstock and that pattern will travel with the block. The paper squares will be where each stitcher can leave her notes. My block is just alittle bigger than 8 x 10 and I am thinking of having it framed when we are all finished.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 458 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holee
posted Hide Post
This is my 13 yr. old GD block she & I put together for me to work on for her "Wedding gift" someday. I thought she'd pick a nice quilt pattern but instead she picked all my antique stuff..pearls, cameo's,gloves, shoe hooks,and an old window I made into a wall box.

I printed your Victorian letters out (Romance) onto fabric to add and boy are they hard to work on but so beautiful. So you all are going to help me make her someday Wedding gift. She's a keeper. She likes old pretty stuff like her grandma.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
Okay holee.

Does your GD like you because you are old pretty stuff?
OR does she like the same things in life, such as old pretty stuff which her grandma also likes. Very cute.

Have you taken her to a antique flea market yet? You could be creating a monster shopper.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

Posts: 458 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holee
posted Hide Post
She likes old stuff so I hope I'm in that pot. I had no idea she was eyeing up my window frame..ha! I bought her a sewing machine for Christmas but she likes working with embroidery and beads best. She also likes going to auctions with me so now I'm wondering what else she has her eye on that I have..kids are funny. She will enjoy seeing everyone's work and trying to copy it!

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
for u ladies that make the ribbon flowers (roses) do u use 2mm or 4mm ribbon?

patsy

Picture of holee
posted Hide Post
Sent you an email 2 days ago..guess you didn't get it. I just sent a PM...hope I did it right and you get it.

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
pm sent with info

posted Hide Post

Posts: 3449 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
As I prep my block for mailing, could I ask if we could all put our block inside a ziploc before putting it in the mailing envelope?

We are having flooding here in Chicagoland, rain expected through all of next week. My mailman is good, but he just leaves pkgs between two front doors. I won't worry if the outer pkg gets damp, everything inside will be fine inside a ziploc.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
Great idea, thanks for the suggestion

Kayla

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 754 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
Finished my block will mail it next week

Kayla

-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 754 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
kayla that is a very pretty block

patsy

Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
Patsy, I love your block my go to color is always purple but I'm trying choose colors I normally would never use it is difficult but that is how we grow our talent. Maybe one of these days we will be swap buddies Smile

Kayla

-Edgar Allan Poe-

posted Hide Post

Posts: 3449 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
yes one day we will be swap buddies. love that idea.

patsy

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
Kayla Quilts - I'd bet money I have the fabric you used in the middle of that block in one of my favorite wall quilts made from a Pizzaz book... the lighting isn't good as it was hanging UP on my wall when I took the pic while standing on my bed ....
I love your block Smile

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9089 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
How funny that is exactly the fabric I have had it a long time (probably 3 or 4 yards) just waiting for the perfect project but in the mean time thought it wouldn't hurt to cut off 1 flower

Kayla

Kayla

-Edgar Allan Poe-

Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
Finally got a picture of my block. Funny how the color reacted to the different areas of the room. This was the closes to the true color.
it is in greens the lighter greens look yellow and the darker greens looked brown, but they are not.

Erma

Smile Craft Happens! Smile

Posts: 3141 | Location: TX | Registered: Mar 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
Now that is CRAZY

Kayla

-Edgar Allan Poe-

Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
Ok as I prepare to mail my CQ block tomorrow, can I clarify what is and isn't allowed. (Thank you for patience with this newbie.) Are machine embroidery stitches allowed? How many embellishments is too many? Should all stitches be inside of the outer stitched line? If I use ribbon, should I include additional ribbon as I mail the block onward? And just for laughs, how many "pinned" CQ ideas from Pinterest are too many??

www.pinterest.com/patv82

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are machine embroidery stitches allowed? How many embellishments is too many? Should all stitches be inside of the outer stitched line? If I use ribbon, should I include additional ribbon as I mail the block onward? And just for laughs, how many "pinned" CQ ideas from Pinterest are too many??

The real answer is "what ever your specific group agrees to".

However, as a general rule:

Machine stitching is not what is usually expected. Hand embroidery is the standard unless the group specifically states otherwise.

There is no specific number of embellishments required...but sometimes things are "ruled out". Such as, "no more lace please, no plastic things, no red, etc." by the person who made the starting block. These guidelines are included in that person's booklet/instruction that travels with her block.

If you use ribbon, there is no requirement to include any of it. However, if you want the other ladies in your group to use a specific ribbon, thread, bead, etc...it can be included for them.

Stitch to the outside line. Bead up to 1/4 or 1/2 inch inside the line...attach/include extra beads for the owner to continue them once the block is sewn to an adjacent block with making a quilt.

Too many pins? If you crash the site...you've got too many.

Hugs,

Posts: 4633 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Shawkl for helping with such good answers here. Pat...check your PMs.

Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
MY block will be in the mail tomorrow. Got my booklet almost ready and just did a clic n ship label. I am usually waiting till the last minute, so feel good that I will be a little ahead of the deadline.

Mary

posted Hide Post
All participants should post here or to your group PM when you have mailed your block. You should also post when you receive a block.

Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the clarification and the PM. Does anyone have a block they received in a swap - basically a block with several people adding in their stitches. I compared the photos with my swap list so I've got a few things already in my head. So if someone could post a photo of the block they mailed off and received back finished.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
Mailed my block today to Ambher and got a block from Califgal.

I'm all ready to start stitching and beading!

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2223 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holee
posted Hide Post
Pat, go to kathy "Shawkl" blog...is listed at the bottom on her posts. On the right side you will see listed CQ round robins (35)....lots of photo's to look at.

posted Hide Post
holee...great referral to Shawkl's blog...that girl is a stitching whiz and has lots of great eye candy on her blog!

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
i told my group to do what ever they wanted to do to my block because i want to learn all techniques and the only way i'm gonna learn is to see what they do. so plastic, beads, ribbon flowers, whatever, have at it ladies. Run amuck with my block Smile

patsy

Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
got kathy's block today.

Erma

Smile Craft Happens! Smile

Posts: 3141 | Location: TX | Registered: Mar 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holee
posted Hide Post
Since there are new people to CQing I'm going along with califgal...have fun with my block and enjoy learning.

Picture of holee
posted Hide Post
Do we know what color block bjeannes is making? I want to put an order in for supplies but need to know the colors of those in my group. bjeannes is the only one I don't have so far.

Picture of bjeannes
posted Hide Post
Sorry it has taken so long, but I have decided to do a pink block for my DIL. I will be posting a pic in a few days.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Posts: 1800 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Feb 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holee
posted Hide Post
Pink...how fun! Thanks for letting me know.

posted Hide Post
Yea Barb! Thanks for checking in and letting us know. Pink will be darling!

Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post
If I didn't have so many deadlines looming, I would have done this swap. Loving what I am seeing here!

Posts: 2527 | Location: batavia ny | Registered: Sep 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holee
posted Hide Post
Mailed my block to Jackie today.

Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
Mailed my block to holee yesterday

www.pinterest.com/patv82

Picture of holee
posted Hide Post
Thank you Pat...hope you are safe from all the flooding.

posted Hide Post
Mailed my block to Pat today.

Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
I have a question now that most everyone is mailing their blocks. I put mine in a stiff Priority Envelope (10x12 size). But I had to fold my block and ziploc. I'm thinking when I mail again, with embroidery on the block, that I will put it inside a Priority Shipping Box. I would appreciate hearing what everyone does with an embellished block to get it mailed.

www.pinterest.com/patv82