Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  2014 ANYTHING GOES CQ Challenge Contest
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2014 ANYTHING GOES CQ Challenge Contest Sign In/Join 
Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post
I've gotten as far as pulling all of the fabrics for the block. They're all sitting, with the little CQ package from Nickilee, on the chair in front of the sewing machine. I'm working out what it should look like in my head and the first thing I have to decide is what it will be used for after (can't see letting something that takes so much work just sit around). I've also started playing with positioning the lace motifs, again in my head. I hope to actually start working on it next week. Got rid of my cold and now just trying to shake off these mid-winter blues. I know that once I start, it will go fast (I really get into the beading and decorative stitching).

Hope all is well with Nickilee and her family. Ts&Ps to any who need them.

LindaJ52

Posts: 2394 | Location: Clifton, IL, USA | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Hey girls, want to let you know I'm headed to VA first thing in the morning... gong to be a rough road... thank you all for your prayers.

Before I take off I realized I never posted the Prizes for the Contest...so:

There will be 4 prizes in all:

2 - $90.00 Prizes
1 - $30 Gift Certificate from Raviolee Dreams (NickiLee)
1 - $30 Gift Certificate from Crazy Quilting Supplies (Quiltaholic)

Hopefully I will be able to work on my block while I'm gone.

Happy Stitching!

"She said she usually cried at least one each day, not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short"

www.CQnickilee.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyladie/sets/
www.RavioleeDreams.Etsy.com - LOTS OF PRETTIES - 4/2014

Posts: 10291 | Location: In the Crazy land of Crazy Quilting, MA | Registered: Dec 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Take care Nicki and I hope your dad will do better once he is home and has you as his caregiver.

I have not felt like climbing the stairs to my sewing room with this bronchitis so my challenge packet still lays on the kitchen table. It will be next week before I will start mine now... Just wanna get well. ugh

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25900 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Hope things get better and better Nicki. Sorry about your bronchitis Q. I had that last week - no fun

Posts: 1143 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure thinking of you Nick...

Q...so sorry to hear about your bronchitis...wears a person out! Hope you are feeling better soon!

I have still not begun my CQ challenge project either...anxious to get to it!

Posts: 3582 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Good luck Nicki I'm praying for you and your family.
Thanks for the heads up.

J Lu

Posts: 1145 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvthosequilts
posted Hide Post
Q I am so sorry about the baby...and now the bronchitis...
Nicki I know with your care and love your dad will feel a lot better. Ts & Ps going for you both...

Nicki I received my package on Monday...I'm sorry I realized I transposed the numbers in my zip code... when the package came they had rewritten the zip so I checked my pm to you and sure enough
color me red!

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

Posts: 4510 | Registered: Feb 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow I have the whole day free except for lunch and a little LQS shopping with my quilting and dog walking buddy. I am going to spend part of the time at least doodling up a plan.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Sue...have had too many distractions and have not gotten past just picking out a few embellishments. Hope to get my block constructed this weekend if possible.

Posts: 4644 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Moving up...

Have been a slow starter and will get in gear this week end.

Sending my T&P to you/family Nickilee.

Mary

Posts: 4071 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
We are snowed in today... I have to inventory some purse frames for my shop and after that, I may play in my CQ stash and start my block. Smile

Posts: 25900 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
When one is sewing on glass roses and such that stand out a bit do you add a bunch of stuff around them to help them stand up better?

J Lu

Posts: 1145 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Whether or not I add anything around them depends on where I want to put them.

I always sew them down really well, passing the beading needle/thread through them a dozen times even...especially if they are standing alone on a seam for instance.

I also like to add them to button clusters, they add a bit more interest I think.

Posts: 4644 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Ok thanks Kathy.

J Lu

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Just an update, Nickilee is still not able to be online. She will be home in 2 weeks and fill everyone in on the CQ Challenge. As of this morning she is still caring for both her mom and dad by herself. There will be a family member coming tomorrow for about a week to give her some help. Your T's & P's are greatly appreciated.

Dianne

Posts: 799 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up Ms.Di we will send our prayers right up.

J Lu

Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Still need to get started. Sending T&P for Nickilee and family.

Mary

Posts: 4071 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Ok I'm just full of questions? When do you know when your finished and if you are feeling done do you make a pillow, put it in a frame and hang it on the wall,or add a backing make it a purse or a sewing machine cover and to this what do you do? I'm feeling like to much is not enough.

J Lu

posted Hide Post
JLu. I'm not sure there is a definite finished. The block is finished when you feel it is finished or there is not more room to put anything else (grin). I have made tote bag pockets, tops for sewing boxes, wall art, a hat, and here is a picture of my sewing machine cover (complete with extra junk on the desk)

Posts: 46 | Registered: Sep 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oops, here's a bigger picture

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
How pretty is that. I appreciate the heads up.

J Lu

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
oohhh that is so pretty. Love that lace at the top edge.

Your stitching is gorgeous. Do you have a blog or photo album of your other work?

posted Hide Post
Quiltaholic - no, I don't have anything that shows my work. I do have a website but never did get any of my cq up on it. My eyes got really bad just when I started redoing the website and I had to stop.

Picture of kmouse
posted Hide Post
Hi Ladies,
I need some help !
Over the past week or so I have been pulling fabrics for my block -Well I have a nice sized pile but now I can't remember which ones were part of the kit !
Can someone please remind me which Fabrics we needed to use ???TIA

"It is not our Abilities that show what we truly are but our choices."

"Live Well , Laugh Often , Love Much "

Posts: 1155 | Location: Beautiful Pacific NW | Registered: Dec 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
Hey Kmouse-it's the satin white,
mossy green and pink I think. Hang on let me go look- yep that's correct.

I haven't started mine yet but have a great idea and have been gathering supplies. It may not come out as the vision I have.

Still having a lot of issues with gout. Not walking a lot. Sick of taking pills!

BTW-on using a hoop-I do when I'm using silk ribbon to do roses or whatever caz I have a hard time if I don't. Otherwise I don't. Geez-did that make any sense?

Hope Nicki is fairing well. Prayers continue for her family and her.

amSmile

Posts: 5905 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post
I am working steadily on my block. I am not sure I have a real focus though.
Pam....sorry to hear you are not feeling well. A friend of mine is also dealing with gout. Take care my friend.

Posts: 2529 | Location: batavia ny | Registered: Sep 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
This is all new to me so spent too much time figuring out how I want to piece it - plan and paper piece or... Saw a tutorial by Debbie S. (Spinocowiz maybe?) and am finally getting the piecing done. Getting a tooth pulled at 7AM and hoping I can get the rest pieced after.

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Do you have a link to that tutorial? I googled that name but it turned up nothing.

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I haven't started yet and I don't see it happening any time soon. Don't think I will even be close to done by the deadline. Just too much going on at home with house projects - new water heater, new shed, bathroom being redone - everything is a jumble right now!!

Posts: 2909 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Hi - here is the link. It's old and I forgot how I got there for awhileSmile. Had a tooth pulled at 7AM and am under orders to just relax today so I am going to work work work on this in a relaxed fashion!
http://www.debraspincic.com/20...zy-quilt-blocks.html

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Thank you! Smile

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
There really isn't too much to that post. I was just trying to get started and did get it pieced. Now to add my seam treatments with the help of Shawki's great book.

posted Hide Post
Haven't checked in on this site for YEARS! Amazing to see some of the old names still here. I miss all the fun we had with fabric swaps, block swaps, etc… still have them all. I rarely watch HGTV, now that DH is retired we're busy doing different things, traveling, fishing, etc..
I belonged to the California Dreamers group, part of the on-line quilt guild…is that still running?
Marie

Posts: 627 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post
OMG! I cannot believe it. On Sunday, I started playing around with my fabrics and last night, I finished by base block! It just all seemed to come together in a flash. I even have the lace pieces placed and am now ready to start the embellishment. It's unreal! I'm at least 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Yea!

LindaJ52

Posts: 2394 | Location: Clifton, IL, USA | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
That tutorial was great-thanks so much!! It really helped me see what I've been missing!

PamSmile

Posts: 5905 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carmellady
posted Hide Post
NICKIE PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU and I understand what your going through!!! Ladies You allllllll Make wish I was sewing with you!!!

carmellady

Posts: 2443 | Location: Somewhere Over The Rainbow | Registered: Jun 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Slowly bead by bead, stitch by stitch this CQ newbie is moving along Smile It may not be a museum piece, but I am sure enjoying what I am doing.

Posts: 799 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Have been working on mine over the weekend. So hopefully I will get it done by the deadline. I can stitch and watch olympics at the same time.

Wishing you well Nickilee and sending T&P.

Keep warm!

Mary

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Can someone tell me Nickilee's email address I'm not sure where to send my block?

J Lu

Picture of kmouse
posted Hide Post
Hi JLu
just sent you a private message...
I don't think she will be home until after the 15th.

"It is not our Abilities that show what we truly are but our choices."

"Live Well , Laugh Often , Love Much "

Posts: 1155 | Location: Beautiful Pacific NW | Registered: Dec 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Thank you Kmouse I just spoke to Fluer55. I misunderstood what we were doing with them. I'm back on track now.

J Lu

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
So I have pieced it and think I have too many pieces. I actually repieced it because two pieces seemed too big. Want to dye the lace. Not sure I will get this done in time.

posted Hide Post
Sue Stitches. If you have a piece that is too large you can just embroidery a "faux" seam in it. And if you have too many pieces, you could do an overlay of lace to blend them or just embroider some vines/flowers or another motif over 2 or 3 patches and ignore the seams in between

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice crazyforcq. I am on vacation next week and hope to really tackle it.

Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Hi ladies,

I have been working on my blook the past week. I find I can stitch/embellish/etc. while watching the olympics. So will keep at it.

Mary

Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Hi Ladies,

So very sorry that I've been MIA for so long. This past month has been one of the most difficult and emotional times I've ever experienced and sad to say... it's only just beginning. Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and support.

Unfortunately, I will not be entering the contest. I am home only for a short while to catch my breath and then I am headed back to VA for an indefinite period of time. The whole month I was with my mom and dad I never got the chance to even pick up a needle and just don't have the time to do anything for myself right now. The Challenge Contest will go on - I am in the middle of making arrangements for a couple ladies to help take over this Challenge Contest for me. All prize money will be turned over before I head back to VA. To be honest, I don't have the heart to CQ as life has taken a dramatic turn.

Please continue working on your blocks and as soon as I have things lined up I will let you know who to send your pictures to and how the voting will take place. I'm looking forward to seeing some pretty eye candy!

Remember, cherish every day you have and always tell those you love how much they mean to you - life isn't forever.

"She said she usually cried at least one each day, not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short"

www.CQnickilee.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyladie/sets/
www.RavioleeDreams.Etsy.com - LOTS OF PRETTIES - 4/2014

Posts: 10291 | Location: In the Crazy land of Crazy Quilting, MA | Registered: Dec 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Nickilee, I'm so sorry to hear things are so bad back home. My prayers are with you and your family. What a blessing it is that you are going to be able to be there for them in their last days. I know life can really be hard on us sometimes, but if we try to focus on the positive things it makes it a little easier. This is what I have experienced anyway. Talking about the joy they brought into our world and the things you've learned from them always helps me through a bad day. I don't think there is a place or person or things for that matter that happen everyday that doesnt makes me think about at least one of those I've lost. Even in my quilts. Remember G O D does not give us anything he can't handle. Again my prayers are with you sweetie. We will miss you in the challenge.

Hugs

J Lu

Picture of Quiltnanny
posted Hide Post
Sorry Nickilee. I will keep you and yours in my prayers. Keep yourself well. ox

Posts: 4450 | Location: Fabricologist Resource Center, NH | Registered: Mar 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry Nickilee. I understand how hard it is. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

posted Hide Post
Thinking of you at this stressful time, Nick Nick.

Posts: 3582 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post