Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  2014 ANYTHING GOES CQ Challenge Contest
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2014 ANYTHING GOES CQ Challenge Contest Sign In/Join 
Picture of Nickilee
posted
ANYTHING GOES CQ (Crazy Quilt)
2014 CHALLENGE CONTEST

Due Date: March 1, 2014
Who: Everyone – Beginner & Experienced CQer

This is a No swapping, No mailing… keep it for yourself Challenge

As promised, I think I’ve come up with another fun way for you to challenge yourself in the art of Crazy Quilting. This Challenge is open to any and all of you who would like to jump in and be a part of our 2014 ANYTHING GOES CQ Project (basically, do your own thing - birds, butterflies, gardens, nature, fairies, etc etc). If you have always wanted to try CQing, now is the time to get your feet wet. Experience & Beginners welcome.

Unlike past years Challenges where we all had a Teacup as our focal, this year we are going to switch it up – the focal will be a couple lace motif which can be used in many ways (your choice). In the kit will be a couple other pretties that must be incorporated into your block.
Color choice and theme of the block will be left up to you…. ANYTHING GOES. Please do not put your block together until your CQ kit is received as there will be a couple fabrics included in the kit that must be used.

The Lace motif for the focal is so pretty and can be used in a variety of ways. Embellish it and use it as is, cut it up into various other motifs (all portions HAVE to be used) or make a frame out of it and frame up a pretty little silkie. The sky is the limit… beaded, embellished with silk ribbon or dressed up with more laces.

Remember, this is NOT a swap – this is a Challenge Contest so you will be keeping the block that you make for yourself. Think SSBG present, Christmas present or just something special you make for yourself.

THE CHALLENGE:

The challenge is to use the Lace Motif(s) as your focal point (DOES NOT MEAN IT HAS TO BE POSITIONED IN THE CENTER OF YOUR BLOCK) Each person who signs up will receive a kit of CQ embellishments. ALL of the items in the kit MUST be used in your block and we MUST be able to identify all items should you have the winning block. Please no machine embroidery stitches - hand stitching only.

Block size will be 12.5” unfinished. Only a picture of the finished block is to be sent in for judging. (a full size and a close up)

THE CHALLENGE CONTEST:

Every person who signs up will need to send me $15.00 to cover the cost of the kit, envelopes and postage to mail to you. Out of each $15 I hope to have at least $8.00 to be put into a Contest Kitty. (Please PM or email me at Bnickilee at aol dot com if you don’t already have my address). I will accept checks or you can pay me via Paypal – please send it as a family gift and mark it CHALLENGE 2014. (Paypal account is the same as my above email address)
All money put into the CONTEST KITTY will be used as the prize(s). Depending on how many people sign up, I hope to be able to divide up the money into a couple different prizes in a couple different categories. Please note that no refunds will be given should decide you don’t want to participate as all money will be accounted for in the cost of the kit and prize money. Say 20 sign up, that will give me a kitty of $160.00 ($8x20). I would then divide the $ up into different prizes – knowing everyone would love to have a little extra money to buy more CQ goodies or fabric. Also, When you sign up please indicate if you are a Beginner to CQ or an Experienced CQer as prizes will be given to the best in each category.

I will be putting together a couple CQ related prizes to go along with the $ prize. If there is anyone who would like to contribute to the “CQ prize” please let me know.

DETERMINING THE WINNERS:

YOU will determine who the winner(s) are. All entries MUST be done and pictures sent to me in jpg format prior to March1, 2014. I will maintain an Album in my Flicker account (like the Teacup Challenge) with everyone’s pictures in it. As each picture arrives I will number it – no names will be used. Once they are all accounted for, I will then post a link where everybody can go in and vote. Even though everyone on the board will be able to go in and see the pictures NO one but me will know whose block belongs to whom as I will be the one posting the pictures. To be fair, I will have one other person collecting your votes along with myself – you may vote only 1 time for the categories that will be listed.

NOTE:

During the days leading up to the Challenge please ask questions and share ideas. There are quite a few ladies here that will be more than happy to share with you how to make a certain stitch, or show you samples of beautiful CQ and even lead you to lots of pretty CQ vendors where you can find the prettiest of pretties to add to your CQ stash…. Fair warning – CQ is Extremely addictive.

Ready to sign up? Please PM me with your name, address, telephone # and whether you are Experienced or Beginner. (If you have been in a past CQ Challenge, I consider you Experienced).

So all you Crazy ladies – up for a Crazy fun Challenge?

Samples of past Challenges:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/c...s/72157629319303645/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/c...s/72157627671642431/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/c...s/72157624809763236/

Participants:
Big Grin indicates paid
SmileSmile indicated Kit received
SmileSmileSmile indicates Pictures sent in

1 NickiLeeBig GrinBig Grin
2 FishingWidowBig GrinBig Grin
3 AlexemmaroseBig GrinBig Grin
4 ShawklBig GrinBig Grin
5 QuiltaholicBig Grin
6 JLu Big GrinBig Grin
7 Fluer55Big GrinBig Grin
8 SCLadyBig GrinBig Grin
9 Sue StitchesBig GrinBig Grin
10 BjeannesBig GrinBig Grin
11 KMouseBig GrinBig Grin
12 CrazyforcqBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
13 CalifgalBig GrinBig Grin
14 TeaSeaBig Grin
15 Happy ErmeBig GrinBig Grin
16 Irish62Big GrinBig Grin
17 LindaJ52Big GrinBig Grin
18 Cr8tve1Big GrinBig Grin
19 Ely
20 CQWannabeBig GrinBig Grin
21 NICUnurseBig Grin
22 HeadilamarBig GrinBig Grin
23 LuvsthosequiltsBig Grin
24 Maureen GreesonBig GrinBig Grin
25 Lisa AlffBig Grin

Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nickilee,

"She said she usually cried at least one each day, not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short"

www.CQnickilee.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyladie/sets/
www.RavioleeDreams.Etsy.com - Holidays laces and more! are ready! 11/2013

Posts: 10242 | Location: In the Crazy land of Crazy Quilting, MA | Registered: Dec 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Sending you my info Nickilee and will have my cx in the mail in the a.m.

I already have an idea. Which sometimes is almost half the battle.

Mary

Posts: 3932 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3405 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
I'm in!

Posts: 4609 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Me three! hehe Smile

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25644 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Ok Nicki, I'm in.

J Lu

Posts: 934 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Kahty & Jan - got your PayPal $ - Thank you.

Ladies, when you send your $ in please be sure to write in the Message area your Board name. Jan, if you hadn't written me that little note I would never have figured it out LOL!

"She said she usually cried at least one each day, not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short"

Posts: 10242 | Location: In the Crazy land of Crazy Quilting, MA | Registered: Dec 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
I fell off the fence, sure hope this won't be painful, lol.

PM on the way

Posts: 630 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
Not taken part in anything recently...so need to start getting involved again..so will send you my info
sent PP **

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SC Lady,

Libby

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." ~~~Dalai Lama

Posts: 3953 | Location: Lower Va. | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
I am a beginner CQ. So I have a couple of questions:
Could I combine hand stitches, machine stitches and machine embroidery?
This sounds like something I really need to do to help me improve.
Thanks

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 416 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
PatV82 - To be fair to everyone in the Challenge, I would rather everyone did hand stitching only. There are many YouTube videos that you can sit in front of a learn a variety of stitches. Also, Mary Corbet has a library of wonderful videos showing how to created a plethora of stitches. As for a machine embroidery patch, I have no problem with you using a small one but if it is done by Machine I would like it mentioned when submitting your block.

Once Sign Ups are closed I will try and post a "Stitch of the Day" to give everyone ideas on stitches that can be used. Also, Kathy Shaw has a fabulous book out which details tons of stitches and stitch combinations. This Challenge is to push you all into learning and creating something new.

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Fleur... we will all help you endure any pain. lol

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25644 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Sent a PM. I have a real problem avoiding new projects. CQs sound like a lot of fun though I don't know where to begin. Will check out the lace and go from there. Can I add in antique fabric? I have lots of bits and pieces that may work and the button jar and the earrings where one of the pair is lost and the beads I collect and do nothing with and...This is only 12 inches?!!

"Inside every Girl Gone Wild is a quilt loving grandma waiting to come out" - Gabriel Rutledge

Posts: 516 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kmouse
posted Hide Post
I'm in

"It is not our Abilities that show what we truly are but our choices."

"Live Well , Laugh Often , Love Much "

Posts: 1078 | Location: Beautiful Pacific NW | Registered: Dec 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to join the challenge, Nickilee but I don't know how to do the PM thing. Can you please let me know how.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Sep 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
How to send a Private Message (PM):

At the top of the string are these buttons:
quote:
Go,New,Find,Notify,Tools,Reply

When you click on the "New" one it lets you do several things...one of these is to send a Private Message.

That screen will have a MY Contacts area...and you need to type in "Nickilee". Then click add and you'll have moved her into the "TO Receive" and click enter. Then type what you need to say in the larger box.

It's pretty easy to understand...and she'll get your note.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shawkl,

Posts: 4609 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kathy! You beat me to itBig Grin
CrazyforCQ - you can either PM me or send me an email at : bnickilee @ aol dot com (spelled out) Would love to have you join us!

Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
KMouse!!! I'm so happy to see you sign up!!! :

Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Crazyforcq - If you look up at the top of your HGTV threads you should see the little Blue box blinking... (Click on it as I just sent you a PM

Picture of bjeannes
posted Hide Post
Just checking in as I don't see my name on the list yet......

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Posts: 1790 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Feb 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me again Nickilee. I accepted through the email and then nothing else worked through there - I'd go to the message and then be directed somewhere else. I don't see any blue box blinking at the top of my message board. So maybe you can try again and I won't answer through my email program

Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Crazyforcq - Up top, right next to the "REPLY" you should see a little box - it should be blinking as I left a PM for you. If you see no box try logging out and sign back into HGTV again. Can you send me your email address and I'll contact you that way. I'm at bnickilee@aol.com

Barbara - got you!

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
ok nicki i'm in u have my info already or do I need to pm u?

Posts: 3408 | Registered: Sep 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Ladies, I know some of you would love to get started on making your foundation block to work on for this Challenge but please note that in the CQ Challenge kit there will be a couple pieces of fabric that must be used. You don't necessarily have to have the fabric as a part of the overall block construction but you will need to use it in your block in some form. Once Sign Ups close and I have an exact number of kits to be made up I will mail them out. Hopefully they will be in your hands within the following week. Please note I have changed the Sign Up Due date to December 7th.

Picture of timecard24
posted Hide Post
Nicki, I am going to pass on this one. I have too many projects going on right now.

Posts: 1444 | Location: East Weymouth, MA | Registered: Apr 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickilee:
Ladies, I know some of you would love to get started on making your foundation block to work on for this Challenge but please note that in the CQ Challenge kit there will be a couple pieces of fabric that must be used. You don't necessarily have to have the fabric as a part of the overall block construction but you will need to use it in your block in some form. Once Sign Ups close and I have an exact number of kits to be made up I will mail them out. Hopefully they will be in your hands within the following week. Please note I have changed the Sign Up Due date to December 7th.

I like the earlier closing date because stuff can take 3 - 4 weeks to get to me, especially with the busy mails at Christmas

Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Timecard24 - I'll miss you not playing with us -you do such pretty CQing!

Oops - totally zoned out - I DO need your addresses (to mail out kits) so please be sure to send it to me when PMing me.

Nice to see newbies to CQ signing up - should be lots of fun to see all the creativeness that everyone comes up with.

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
nicki FYI the links you posted for past challenges is not working. when I click on them it say "oops bad link" just so u know.

patsy

Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
I am in.

Erma

Smile Craft Happens! Smile

Posts: 3117 | Location: TX | Registered: Mar 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check is in the mail...lol! Seriously! Smile

Posts: 3405 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Patsy - not sure why that is happening - you can always link onto my Flicker by hitting the link at the bottom of one of my posts. I'll try again later to see if I can fix it later.

All payments received have been updated with a Big Grin Ladies, when sending payment via Paypal, please be sure to click on "family or friend" so I don't get zinged with fees.

Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Big GrinBig Grin The links to the previous CQ Challenges have been fixed (listed here and in very first post). If you very gently scan over the bottom of each picture it will tell you who made which block.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/c...s/72157629319303645/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/c...s/72157627671642431/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/c...s/72157624809763236/

Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2521 | Location: batavia ny | Registered: Sep 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flying back home for Christmas keeps adding up financially (rental cars, etc.), that I will have to sit this one out-- but look eagerly for all the wonderful talent on the board.

Posts: 1635 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
I was so unaware of crazy quilting. I thought Quiltaholic was an insane quiter when I read her by-line Smile. So far I have learned that more is better and spiders and webs are in order. I rescue them regularly and just happened to buy some web fabric last week.

"Inside every Girl Gone Wild is a quilt loving grandma waiting to come out" - Gabriel Rutledge

Posts: 516 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
KMouse & Irish - got your $. It is so awesome to see so many of my old CQ buddies coming out to play again!Big GrinBig Grin

Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post
I just spotted this today, and I think that I'll give CQ another try, so sign me up. PM will be coming forthwith.

BTW, the first CQ block (the teacup one) that I did for your challenge, I used to decorate the front of a purple velvet tote bag that was line in pink sateen. I put it into my craft show stock and sold it to a lady who kept petting it (the velvet was exquisite) as she was looking at it. So, I'm sure that I'll find something interesting to do with the new block, too.

Thanks for hosting this.

LindaJ52

Posts: 2387 | Location: Clifton, IL, USA | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cr8tve1
posted Hide Post
Okay, three for three today with signups! The redwork snowman, the ugly fabric challenge and now the CQ challenge. Please sign me up. I will forward you a payment with paypal.

Posts: 3230 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA USA | Registered: Apr 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cr8tve1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cr8tve1:
Okay, three for three today with signups! The redwork snowman, the ugly fabric challenge and now the CQ challenge. Please sign me up. I will forward you a payment with paypal.

Updated to say I sent $ via paypal as gift.

Posts: 3230 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA USA | Registered: Apr 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Hi girls, Hope everyone had a beautiful Thanksgiving yesterday.Big Grin

Fishingwidow & Axel... just received your checks today - thank you!

Picture of wrenegade
posted Hide Post
Hi Girls. . . I am sooooo tempted to join this, especially seeing so many familiar names but I don't dare. I start student teaching next semester, and I am so far behind on everything. I haven't ever finished the one I started for my sister 2 years ago...

I'll watch from the sidelines and hope to be onboard next time.

wren

Posts: 370 | Location: SW Florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Sue Stitches - received your check today - Cr8tve1 - received your Paypal $ - thank you ladies!

Ladies only 1 more week to sign up and get your $ in so if you are sitting on the fence about this - hop off and come have some fun!

Wren - I saw you on FB and was going to mention to you that you needed to get over here and sign up but know you have been flat out with school. Wishing you well and hope to see you come play with us again in the future.

Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
I really want to do this but I haven't done any CQing in about 4 or 5 years. I don't even know if I still can! I sure do have a lot of supplies though. Hmmm thinking here~~~~

Pam

Posts: 5698 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Pam - listen my sweet little SS, get off your butt and hop on in - you know you want to do it cause in the end if you don't...you'll wish you had!Big Grin

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
come on Pam, Nicki talked me into joining and i'm glad she did. I need the practice. I said no and Nicki said YES LOL

Patsy

Picture of ELY/SYSSY
posted Hide Post
HI LADIES
NICKI I ALLMOST MIST THIS ONE I WANT IN IT IS SO GOOD TO SEE SOMENY IN THIS CHANLEN
LOVE ELY

Posts: 1776 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: Dec 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Gotcha Ely! OOPS - Remember when we were talking the other day and I said I had something to ask you and couldn't remember? Duh..... it was about this Challenge - I knew you'd want to play with us! Yea!!!!!!!

Picture of kmouse
posted Hide Post
WoooWhoo

Look at all the OG's of CQ coming out !!

Gonna Be FUN !!!

"It is not our Abilities that show what we truly are but our choices."

"Live Well , Laugh Often , Love Much "

Posts: 1078 | Location: Beautiful Pacific NW | Registered: Dec 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2673 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Jody!!! OMG! I was seeing so many of the old CQ gang signing up I was going to drop you a note and tell you I was going to sign you up with or without your permission LOL! So happy to have you join in the fun!