Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Made 2 Jeans bags .. that's work
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Made 2 Jeans bags .. that's work Sign In/Join 
Picture of City/Sandie
posted
...friend wanted a purse made from a pair of sixe 5 little girls Levi shorts ... sure says I ..
no pttern, nothing to copy .. just guts and bravado !
Well tht was Wed .. she needed one as a gift too - so did that one today .. same guts and bravado but at least i had s ome idea of the mistakes that pop up without warning
...everything is stash I suppose I dhould p ost them there too, huh?
this is the first one,,, it does have a long strap .. but we need to shorten it a bit .. later .. myfintertips are nearlyblistered from all the hand work of sewing the linings in ..

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 8987 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
..and this is the 2nd one .. this one is more girlie - the gal getting it drives a bright tred corvette, carries big purses and bags .. this is on ly a sixe 14 gilrs jeans .. but bigger than that first one .. I cut the crotch out and curved the middle, then did some gathering on the bottom edges to make them the match up for width ... the straps were difficult to turn, but I knew how I wanted them to look! wider might have been smarter when it comes to turning htat stuff.. the inside is just a puch, no fance pocket.

Wounded Warrior Project

Posts: 8987 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...I guess this one you can see thata fabric better inside ,,lots of fun, lots of work, and told the neighbor when she asked what I'd sell them for if someone wanted one made - I said $100.

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Those are cute as can be Nancy. I bought one of those several years ago on a whim and used it for a while but got tired of it.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6210 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
You did a fantastic job on those & they are so cute. I know what you mean about working with jeans. I made a couple of bags for walkers out of jeans once & they were really hard to make & turned out very heavy. I didn't have to do any hand sewing on them so I can just imagine how you felt by the time you were finished with these. People who don't sew have no clue as to how hard some projects are. I have a co-worker who is always hinting for things for her family but so far I've gotten by with telling her that I don't make things to sell (but she's really hinting for "free"). That's kept her at bay for now. Wink

Nicki

Posts: 7921 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
City Sandie, Those sure are cute bags and I wouldn't sell them for less than 100 either.Smile
You did a great job. Glad to hear how hard they were or that might just be on my to do list. Smile

Posts: 7831 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muggomuggo
posted Hide Post
Those are adorable!! And do not look like something just 'whipped up'. They should not be cheap!

my philosophy: there are no real mistakes in quilting, just design opportunities!!

Posts: 4558 | Location: maybe Texas someday | Registered: Jul 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How cute! And very clever with recycling those jeans. I know the girls love them!

Posts: 2236 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
Good job on those purses, really pretty. I saw someone at DGS's sic or game several years ago with one made from larger pair of jeans. She let me look at hers and I decided I wanted to make me one. She said she would have liked to have some pockets inside if she had a choice next time. I got my DD to give me some old jeans, but I never did make a purse. I still have several pairs of jeans and now I'm thinking of iPad pouches or smaller cross body type small purses.

Posts: 1678 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. You did a wonderful job.

Posts: 15205 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
You did a terrific job on those! I know how hard it can be to work with denim let alone seams on a recycled pair of jeans!!!

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7384 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
How cute! Years ago, I made bags and skirts for my nieces out of jeans my mother and I found at resale shops. Oh...and aprons from adult jeans.

Posts: 16479 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
KYIS, do you have a trick for sewing on the denim? What needle do you use?

Posts: 7831 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
so cute you did a fantastic job

Posts: 2943 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...i don't know what others use ,,, but I just put in a Jeans needle - bought a packet ages ago and finally used one! Worked good, I think they must be harder/stronger steel.

Wounded Warrior Project

posted Hide Post
What darling little bags!!! I can see how they would be a lot of work but so cute!

Posts: 3405 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...thank you for your nice comments .. they were fun to do - you know how it was when you learn and do something new. Back to the Micreowave cozies ... they are so much easier Smile

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
Those look great, love them both!

Posts: 978 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of native Texan
posted Hide Post
Those are so cute!!! I actually bought a smaller purse made from childs pants and sent it to my youngest granddtr. Not sure if she liked it, but I did. I just made a denim rag quilt for my cats and kept two of the jean tops and made shorts from them for me.

CC

Posts: 4591 | Location: 1,000 miles from home | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
They both turned out really nice. Great job. Have a stack of old jeans that will go on free cycle again. Too heavy to do anything else with them... Chris

Posts: 5860 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Those are both too cute!! I tried years ago to make some old jeans into something else and learned it wasn't happening in my lifetime Smile

Posts: 6442 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bin of old jeans; thought about doing the jean purse; really love the liner fabric with pockets.

Posts: 155 | Location: Lombard, IL USA | Registered: Sep 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post