Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  OFFICIAL COF 2013 Retreat thread - 1 in - 1 out...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OFFICIAL COF 2013 Retreat thread - 1 in - 1 out... Sign In/Join 
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Go to the BLOG --> http://cof2013.blogspot.com/
to see the AGENDA Smile

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4915 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of islandtime
posted Hide Post
OK - now I'm really confused. It was my understanding the retreat was from 6/21-23. I won't even get there until around 3:00 PM, but according to the agenda, registration will be closed by then. What's up?

Elle~~

Posts: 814 | Location: Norfolk, VA & FL Keys | Registered: Feb 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I saw that the next day it continues again.

Posts: 9470 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of islandtime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Reba:

That's the day I'm talking about - Friday - registration closes at 9:45 AM. I won't arrive until at least 3:00.

Elle~~

Posts: 814 | Location: Norfolk, VA & FL Keys | Registered: Feb 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by islandtime:
quote:

That's the day I'm talking about - Friday - registration closes at 9:45 AM. I won't arrive until at least 3:00.

Yes you are right Islandtime, the quilt retreat is Friday, Saturday and Sunday - the 21st to the 23rd. We do have a full schedule for the 21st, however we will make arrangements to register you and any other late arrivals Smile

If you arrive before 3:30 we'll be in the Main room for the welcome, etc. The second class is 4pm-6pm so if you have signed up for that then we can make sure your welcome bag is waiting at that class for you.

If you are participating in the 1/4 yard challenge you might want to mail it to someone who is getting there earlier - you can PM me for my address if you wish Smile

Jane_Kiwi

Posts: 1800 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charmingsister
posted Hide Post
I just checked out the agenda. It looks like a really nice schedule and mix of classes, speakers, etc.

Thanks to the Committee for all the hard work.

Posts: 2569 | Location: now in the sunshine | Registered: Oct 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of islandtime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jane_Kiwi:
quote:
Originally posted by islandtime:
quote:

Yes you are right Islandtime, the quilt retreat is Friday, Saturday and Sunday - the 21st to the 23rd. We do have a full schedule for the 21st, however we will make arrangements to register you and any other late arrivals Smile

If you arrive before 3:30 we'll be in the Main room for the welcome, etc. The second class is 4pm-6pm so if you have signed up for that then we can make sure your welcome bag is waiting at that class for you.

If you are participating in the 1/4 yard challenge you might want to mail it to someone who is getting there earlier - you can PM me for my address if you wish Smile

Jane_Kiwi

Guess I'll just take my chances. I'm not signed up for any classes, because I never saw a schedule posted, and there really isn't enough time. After driving 5-6 hours, I'm sure I'll just want to get into my room and recoup for awhile. C'est la vie.

Elle~~

Picture of sewlove2quilt
posted Hide Post
AARRRRRGGGH!!! I can't get the 'blog' to open...every time I click on it and 'error' box pops up....it's gotta be this {pain in the patootie} pc... :/

https://www.etsy.com/people/sewlove2quilt2

Take time for kindness & for giving. Take time for friends & happy living!

Posts: 6785 | Registered: Feb 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Lynn- check your email. Did I tell you I got your box?

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

Posts: 4915 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I noticed that there's a Show and Tell scheduled. Is this one per person or can you show several? Should they be completed quilts or can you show some tops too?
Are QOV and soda tabs always collected at COF retreats?

Posts: 182 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
My flight gets in at 10:30 on Friday, so I won't be there before registration closes. Imagine I will be there no earlier than 11:30.

At some point can you post which bingo games are for what fabric as I will miss several of the games and space in my one carryon bag will be limited, so would like to leave those home.

Thanks... Chris

Posts: 5874 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aka Teddylady:
I noticed that there's a Show and Tell scheduled. Is this one per person or can you show several? Should they be completed quilts or can you show some tops too?
Are QOV and soda tabs always collected at COF retreats?

ONE per person...finished, unfinished, your choice.
QOV are being collected. I don't know about soda tabs.

Posts: 3288 | Location: NY | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I know of no one or group collecting soda tabs. If someone wants to take this on start to finish, then go for it! Just let us know.

FQ bingo will go as posted:
1 - blenders
2 - reproduction
3 - fall
4 - batiks
5 - black & whites
6 - neutral
7 - Christmas
8 - uglies

Pillow squares are provided to each attendee and as a tradition is signed by each person. You might want to bring a permanent, fine tipped pen.

Show and Tell doesn't HAVE to be a quilt - we are a QUILTING & NEEDLEWORK message board. But it does have to be one item as Missmommy has stated.

posted Hide Post
I was looking at the photos of the retreat in Branson and saw they were collecting soda tabs. I think I got it mixed up with this retreat and was wondering if I had missed something.

Posts: 182 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gemsq
posted Hide Post
***The agenda sure looks like fun, and full. Need help tho to print the Agenda out in a full size; and only the agenda. Suggestions? Guidance? Thanks so much.

Posts: 731 | Location: illinois | Registered: Sep 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Barb, I replied to your email...

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
After a less than great day at my second day of serger class it is nice to come home to see the updates on the retreat Smile Thank you!! I'm so looking forward to this.

Visually challenged persons should think twice about a serger is all I can say Smile Tomorrow will be better.

Posts: 6459 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the bingo games, Guess I won't be able to get rid of my ugly fat quarters. Guess they will need to go back to the stash. That really helps a lot.

Royalboomer, how many days is your serger class? Someday I need to take one as there is so much I don't know how to do... Chris

Posts: 5874 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
FQ Bingo #7&8 (Christmas and Uglies) are scheduled for Sunday afternoon.

I love my Babylok serger. It's self threading and easy to use.

Posts: 3288 | Location: NY | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the Babylock/ I have pulled mine out (one is a Janome Coverhem) as I am doing some alterations for myself. Threading is such a snap on the newer ones. Enjoy that class Royal and glad to see the list of Bingo babies as I just have not had time to think about that yet.

Posts: 9470 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I just finished my 1/4yd challenge project! I am so glad to be done with that. I HATE quilting - I love the pattern selecting, the fabric finding, the cutting and the piecing parts though.

cksvett - you can bring uglies and leave them with someone else to play for you - but beware, if you win any you may have to pay postage to get them all - or lose the friend you dump them on!

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
I would give them to someone to play, but the last retreat I went to I won that game so some of what I had, may have come from that! Just my luck I would win again and be stuck with those and a bunch of new ones!!!!! Chris

Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Chris, didn't you and I win the ugly stacks together in Portland? I don't do bingo either, but my door prize was some "interesting" fq's, so Lena and Ole told me to put them in the bingo. Then I won! Story of my life. I'll play them for you if you just have to do that again.

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6537 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
who's ready? Only 18 days until COF 2013 oficially begins! I'm getting excited - I sure hope you all are Big Grin

Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone and all of the retreat fun!!! I still have a bunch of stuff to do, but I always work well under pressure.

Posts: 724 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Ready? Hmmm, I bought new shoes today. Yesterday I threw away my first attempt at my challenge project (I had not cut into the official fabric yet). So, now it's on to Plan X or whatever. Two classes: one I'm nearly ready for, the other I haven't thought about. Oh, and my Show and Tell is sorta on the way to being done.

Clothes? Whatever falls out of my closet is what goes. But yeah, I'm almost ready, LOL!

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6537 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I worked on two class supplies/homework today. And I'm not done. I DID finish the challenge project. Yes! I gave up a massage appointment to DH and will take one NEXT week and in theg meantime I'll just keep overdoing.
!

Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Okay, one set of classwork is done. Challenge project is now on Plan X which is actually better than Plans A and B. Show and Tell is getting closer too — I've been busy today!

Picture of chanlady22
posted Hide Post
Eighteen days and I'm NOT ready so need to get into gear. The challenge project is almost done, bingo FQ's are pressed, show and tell almost done, Tshirts from previous years need to be found and then get Ole and Lena organized. Yeesh!!! How many days????

See you all soon.

Happy Stitching...Lois

Posts: 2185 | Location: Chanhassen, MN | Registered: Aug 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
needlecrazy, i think there may have been 3 winners on the uglies in Portland, so you could very well have won that game too!

I have done nothing to get ready, other than make my reservations! Trying to get a couple of packages finished and mailed out before I leave. Keep adding to them. Had a simple 9 patch top done and ended up removing one finished row and sashing, so now I will do another rest of the top to use that... Chris

Picture of chanlady22
posted Hide Post
I won the uglies last year in Branson so...look out!!!!! They are coming back with me.

Happy Stitching...Lois

Posts: 2185 | Location: Chanhassen, MN | Registered: Aug 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I don't have all my "stuff" ready, but I'm ready! Big Grin

Posts: 4578 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I was just thinking how much I love dots and even those little calico florals. Someday THOSE should be a category. Don't you think it would be fun?

Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
Lois - I remember those uglies... watch out.
Cheryl - we did have a dots category one year and there were some magnificent ones.
We are getting closer and closer... I keep packing and repacking all of my supplies.

Char

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lakequilter,

Posts: 704 | Location: upstate New York | Registered: Jun 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chanlady22
posted Hide Post
I loved the dots!!!!

Happy Stitching...Lois

Picture of chanlady22
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for the time for the early bird dinner. I have printed off the location etc but looking for the time.

Has anyone taken the tour at the chocolate factory? I'm thinking about doing that on
Sunday afternoon after the retreat. The web site says it is free...any suggestions?

COF is getting close.

Happy Stitching...Lois

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Do you mean at Hershey Park? I did, in fact the day Princess Di died...I'll never forget it. It was just a mockup and IMHO, could be missed. You finish up in a store but there are no bargains there...just retail chocolate candy prices.

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I have more recently than that and it hasn't changed any. But it IS free and cute. Well, the parking isn't free but the ride is.

Picture of gemsq
posted Hide Post
Chanlady; I would love to see the chocolate factory site. That is one place I don't want to miss. However I don't have a car. How can I be so close and not see Hershey? Hope you decide to go Sun. aft. and can take a passenger or more.
See you all soon.

Posts: 731 | Location: illinois | Registered: Sep 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chanlady22
posted Hide Post
How crazy is the price for the parking...for a "free" ride??? Maybe I can miss this site and just drive by and take a picture.

Happy Stitching...Lois

posted Hide Post
We received some sad news yesterday. My mum's younger brother passed away early in the morning NZ time. It was fairly unexpected and mum (Kiwi_Sue)is not going to be able to come to retreat.

Jane_Kiwi

Posts: 1800 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
so sorry for you and for her and the rest of your family, Jane.

Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry Jane. We will miss your mother

Char

Posts: 704 | Location: upstate New York | Registered: Jun 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charmingsister
posted Hide Post
Jane, sending condolences to you all. Sending hugs too for this difficult time.

Posts: 2569 | Location: now in the sunshine | Registered: Oct 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Jane, we sure are going to miss your Mum. So sorry to hear about your uncle.

Ladies, I need a favor. Wink I finally figured out what to bring for show and tell, but it still needs a binding. My least favorite part. Anybody willing to help me out? I may even be able to pay you, but I just had an idea. I'm remembering back in NC a couple of you helping to finish up the charity quilts. Stitching and talking just like an old fashion sewing bee, except it was binding not quilting. Could be a fun time (if you enjoy stitching by hand). But, if someone is willing to do the whole thing by machine, I would not object.

Looks like we'll have 2.5 hours Thursday night to sit and sew. It's a twin size, so plenty of room for lot's of stitchers.

Life without quilting is not an option! • • • • • MY Photos • • • • • • ENJOY!

Have you met my Circle of Friends? • • • • • • • PJ Party Tutorials

• • • Please! Support OUR Troops: Gratitude Campaign • • •

Posts: 9631 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I like hand sewing. If I'm feeling okay, I will help.

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I enjoy doing binding and if I am able to help I will.

Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
Ok, so I'm back from my cruise and now can concentrate on my upcoming Judy Neimeyer class on The Tuesday before COF. Then I can pack my sewing stuff. My class homework is done for my classes. I have to put the binding on my show and tell and I still haven't started my challenge. I guess I'm ready....haha.

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I wrote a label out for my sew and tell and have to take it down off my wall to sew it on! Eyes popping! A little more 1 1/2" pieces to cut out for a class and then label and assemble all. My machine of choice is getting tuned up so it's not even here..but should be!!

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Most class items put together, need to prepare some handwork to do in case there's time(HA!). Need to do the challenge project! Won't have a show and tell nor any handmade trinkets to give out - feel bad about that part, but that's the way it is.

Really excited about attending my very first retreat and meeting everyone.

Posts: 7994 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post