Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Sew & Tell 11-29-13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sew & Tell 11-29-13 Sign In/Join 
posted
Sew & Tell is our weekly sharing thread. Tell us what you've finished, what you're working on- we'll cheer you on!

I think I'm in a turkey coma here, and I was so good at dinner! I had a small portion of everything, and "only" one dessert! I had the second cataract removed Tuesday, and I can't believe how good my night vision is! I'm hoping to do some sewing this weekend!

So who's sewing?
Holly

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Holly in South Jersey,

Posts: 3016 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought that I would get a small second helping of stuffing and ham and then have no dessert, well my oldest daughter came by with pumpkin pie and that was that thought was shot to heck.

I will be sewing the next 2 days making some memory bears. I need to get these done so that I can do some holiday sewing. I got the kit for the wall hanging with the large tree and you put lights on it, I want it for my front door.

Wanda

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shogun
posted Hide Post
Are the memory bears made of the clothing from someone who passed away?

I am English paper piecing hexagons, not too much time for sewing right now. Finished what I needed for the stocking swap.

Posts: 3766 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Holly, you must be in a turkey coma. I couldn't figure out why 11-19-13's post only had 2 replies on it then I realised tomorrow is the 29th and I knew what happened!

No sewing this week. I hope I get to sew tomorrow, but I have my 3 y/o DGD here with me so I'm not to hopeful!

Right now I'm full, fat and to sleepy to be s***y.

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9602 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
LOL I knew I couldn't write 's a s s y'so I wrote 's @ s s y' and I still got *'d!

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9602 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rainbow, for pointing out the wrong date. I just fixed it.

Posts: 3016 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shogun, yes the bears are made out clothing from a man who passed away, sweatshirts, sweaters,these will look great when they are finished.

Wanda

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
Roolen had posted a gnome ornament tutorial on her blog, and these are the first two I've completed of seven. These were finished first so I could take to 2 of my GK's yesterday...and they loved them!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: elsie123,

Posts: 1439 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Joyce
posted Hide Post
Oh my, those gnomes are so cute. I'll have to check out her blog.

Glad your catatarac surgery went well Holly. My DSIL had hers done and was so excited that she could do her hardanger again.

This was Dh and my first Thanksgiving in 43 yrs with absolutely no family around. It was quiet, but kind of nice too.

Posts: 930 | Location: Washington | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
I've quilted a wallhanging, ready for binding now. But I've spent more time in the woodshop this week. Here are two ornaments for my son and his fiance.

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/PattyannC/

Posts: 1776 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
Patty~ your work just blows me away! Gorgeous!!

Posts: 10680 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
I finished this baby quilt for my step granddaughter, her baby shower is on the 8th. I hope she likes it. It was fun to work on because it is so colorful.

Posts: 8219 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
No sewing here. I have had a houseful of family since Wednesday afternoon.

I hope to finish my Christmas row robin from the COF Branson retreat finished this week to use for the Holidays.

I have also finished cross stitching two more Shepherds Bush stockings "Jeffrey" and "Sadie" and I hope to get them sewn into stockings this week.

My DM has finished appliqueing another doll quilt so I will carry her to Ragman's tomorrow to find her a sashing and backing fabric.

I have lots of plans for sewing this coming week so we shall see if it pans out.

Love the baby quilt. You are correct it is very colorful and I am sure it will spend many hours looking at all the bright colors.

Posts: 3634 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patty

Could I ask what size the blocks are in your baby quilt? I do love it!

debbie

Posts: 1126 | Registered: Jan 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Debbie, the pattern came from a book called "Snowball Quilts" by tammy Kelly. The nine patches are made with 2 1/2 inch strips cut into 2 1/2 inch wide rectangles. The focus squares were 6 1/2 inch squares with 2 1/2 inch squares diagonally sewn in each of the corners. Really easy to do. Finished size was 38x47 inches or so. Thanks for asking. Pat

Posts: 8219 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the beautiful wood work!
What a fun quilt, Pat (patty j)
I made these after your PJ party, patty j. So glad you did that and so glad for all the inspiration from this board!
Susan

Posts: 746 | Location: West Central Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Susan, they turned out so cute, glad you were inspired from the class.

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Susan, your little trees turned our great!! Patty, you must have been a great teacher.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6818 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
Didn't do any sewing this week, had company start coming in Wed evening and more on Thurs. We had our dinner on Fri, so it's been non-stop all week with cleaning and cooking. DH and I are enjoying a little quiet time while DD and family have gone to eat with SIL's family, and DS and wife have gone on a little sight-seeing jaunt in Atlanta since she hasn't been here but a few times.

I did give the girls the crochet scarves I made and they loved them. Other DD will be here tomorrow and will give hers to her then. I will post a picture next week when I uncover the laptop.

It's been crazy with 10 people and 4 dogs and 2 cats in one house at the same time. The cats have been hiding most of the time, but one of the dogs is into everything and has too be watched constantly.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Neat things this weekend.

No sewing, it is full mode Christmas here till tonight. Cards with Christmas letter are mailed, boxes to all the girls are mailed, delivered the last of the tree items to c*h*u*r*c*h tonight. Gift wrapped for 4 hours yesterday. Just a gift bag to deliver to the senior citizens center and I am done with all the required things I must do for Christmas. Now just the volunteer things I want to do are left. May actually get into the sewing room this upcoming week before I forget where it is... Chris

Posts: 6306 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
All done with Christmas? When I worked I tried to be done before Thanksgiving but now I'm a lazy procrastinator. Got one to mail to Italy and one is deployed so I need to kick myself in gear!

Posts: 7561 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
I made this for the Holiday Mug Rug swap, but couldn't post it until my partner received it. It was so much fun to make!

Front

Posts: 796 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
Have had a few busy sewing days. Made three trees from Patty's PJ party, plus some cushions.

Posts: 456 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
cushions

Posts: 456 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
and another

Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
one for Mr almost 3

Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
and a pin cushion

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
So many wonderful projects! Love the pincushion and the mugrug. I'm excited to try those tree blocks when I get back home. I love the variety of colors in them.

Posts: 7561 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holee
posted Hide Post
This is another cute ornie like Roolen's but it's a Santa.
http://cucitocreativo.xs4.it/i...bo-natale-log-cabin/

Posts: 4780 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caseyqc
posted Hide Post
Pattyj, I love your quilt design, and the colors of the quilt. The quilt is just so pretty and bright.
I want to make one for my grandson. Could you tell me how big the blue triangles are? I found a video on you tube to find out how to do a snowball quilt, boy it seems to easy. I can't wait to get started on one. Do you just measure the space between the blocks? Thanks for all your help.

Posts: 392 | Location: northern pa | Registered: Jul 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I got the binding sewed on my GD'S quilt. I didn't get enough binding strips cut. I had to go into my scrap bag and hunt for enough scraps to make more binding. I found just enough big scraps to finish off the binding. Than about 5 inches from the end I ran out of top thread. I had loaded 2 extra bobbins of thread for my LA to do her quilt with I used one of the bobbins to put the binding on with so I have now an extra bobbin for my other GD'S quilt. Now all I have left to do is the hand work.
Holee, Roolen's Santa would make a nice pot holder for Chris tmas.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Handie Ann,

Handie Ann

Posts: 3602 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I want to add that Roolen's dolls would make nice pin cusions

Handie Ann

Posts: 3602 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Casey, thanks for the compliment, I know there is some kind of math. formula to give the dimensions but I don't know it. Cut 4 squares 9 3/4 inches cut twice on the diagonal = 16 side setting triangles. you will have 2 triangles left over. Cut 2 squares 5 1/8 inches then cut both squares on the diagonal 1 time= 4 corner triangles. Treat these triangles gently so they don't stretch.

Picture of caseyqc
posted Hide Post
Thank you PattyJ. I can't wait to give it a try. The triangles sound the hardest to figure out. Hope I can do it as I am sure my grandson would love it.

Posts: 392 | Location: northern pa | Registered: Jul 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finished DH's quilt a week or so ago. Although he likes it, I'm not happy with it at all. It was the first time I've used flannel for backing, first time for invisible thread and I machine stitched the binding.

I don't normally have problems with the edges being wavy, cause I square them up pretty good. This one is a bit wavy though. Think it could be the combination of the flannel and the machin stitching the binding? I used a walking food the whole time. I've decided that I won't be using the invisible thread any more.

Poor guy. The first quilt I've made just for him and I'm not happy.

Posts: 6818 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgive the picture. The shadows and sun made it kinda difficult. Yeah, that's the back side so it looks a bit crooked.

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Oh that is pretty. I can see why DH likes it.
Pat