Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Using sewing machine on quilt frame
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using sewing machine on quilt frame Sign In/Join 
Picture of CQwannabe
posted
Does anyone use their sewing machine on a quilt frame? (Not sure if this is the correct way to ask the question).

I have a Juki 2010Q and my understanding is that it can be used on a frame to quilt. But I can't find details on how to do this and what I need to purchase.

Any suggestions? I do not have a "Good" local store that I can go to for information.

Thank you
Jody

Posts: 2728 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of emb115724
posted Hide Post
I have a Brother 1500 on a Gracy Queen frame,order mine on internet. Very happy with it, The 1500 is a quilting sewing machine but not a long arm.

" Prayer is for the soul what nourishments is for the body."

Posts: 877 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I have a Juki on my Lil Gracie frame. Never used it so I can't say how well it works but the friend who had the frame and machine first had used it without any issues.

Posts: 6653 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use my regular Singer on my Hinterberg frame. It is not a long arm, but I can deal with that. It works great for baby quilts.
Jslady

Posts: 522 | Location: NW. Ohio | Registered: Sep 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Ok now you have my attention. I have a Gracie frame that I stuck up on a shelf in my storage room. If I can use it with my machine to quilt I will be so happy. Can someone put a picture up? Please I can't imagine what your doing.

J Lu

Posts: 1089 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use my Bernina 750QE on a grace frame. My machine has an 11" throat/harp area, so I get a little more space to quilt. I've done some fairly good sized quilts on it. 64X76 & 58X83. The last one was the OBW I posted on the UFO thread in March. I think I have a picture of a quilt on it I could show, but my BFF is out to dinner and she's the one who can post it for me. I'll check with her, when she gets home.

Oh, btw, those two quilts were loaded sideways. Otherwise there would've been too much quilt rolled up in the harp.

Posts: 144 | Location: Texas | Registered: Oct 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have my attention as well. In the future, I wonder if my new Janome 6500 would work on a frame?

Posts: 1966 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
Here's the picture of Cookie's set up!

Posts: 5030 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
I used to have my machine on a grace frame and I loved quilting with it so much that I bought my Tin Lizzie. It was an inexpensive way to try out frame quilting. Go for it!!

Posts: 3642 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
That looks like a long arm machine not a domestic.

J Lu

Posts: 1089 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of emb115724
posted Hide Post
try to put picture on

Posts: 877 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of emb115724
posted Hide Post
another view

Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
Quilter Jen, it will work with the 6500. I have one too and I used it on a Hinterberg frame. The vibration tends to loosen the needle, so I checked and tightened it after each row.

I really didn't like standing to quilt and am thinking of selling the frame. If anyone is near Dayton Ohio and interested,let me know!

I bought a Tin Lizzie sit down machine, and that works better for me.

Posts: 3627 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
Annon- check your PMs. I have questions!

Gardenpat

Posts: 5146 | Location: central ohio | Registered: Apr 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
Pat, answered! Smile

Posts: 3627 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
Got your PM, Annon! Keep me posted!

pat

Posts: 5146 | Location: central ohio | Registered: Apr 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not close enough geographically.

Posts: 1966 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
J Lu - Cookie's machine is a Bernina. As far as I know, that's considered a domestic machine and not a long arm. The opening of her machine is a little larger than normal machines, but it's not even close to a long arm.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the definition of 'domestic' machine?

Posts: 5030 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for the information. I am still not sure how this all works...do you purchase separate pieces? ie: frame, handles, base for your machine? Or is everything included when you buy a frame?

Posts: 2728 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested in the answer to CQ's question, too.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6739 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my set up used, but I knew the gal selling. The Grace frame I purchased came with the base the machine sits on, which includes handles on both front and back, also a laser pointer which I recently used for a scallop pantograph. Most pantographs don't work with a mid-arm because you have limited design space for your patterns. I usually do a stipple/meander pattern, without the panto. I'm ready to move up to a longarm machine, but I need to find the right USED LA.....

Posts: 144 | Location: Texas | Registered: Oct 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of divechime
posted Hide Post
You can get them as packages or buy each part (the frame, the machine, the cruise control, quilt robot, etc.) separately. The issue I had with the separate pieces was finger pointing as to any issue. The machine maker said it was the frame, the frame maker said it was the cruise controller, you get the idea.

My new set up is provided by one company, so they support everything. I bought it used and they transferred the remaining warranty and still provide help if something isn't working. My set up is made by Handiquilter and I cannot say enough about their customer support and service.

Chris

Posts: 357 | Location: So. Calif | Registered: Jul 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post