Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Scrappy (crazy) string block swap, updates, have you mailed?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scrappy (crazy) string block swap, updates, have you mailed? Sign In/Join 
Picture of tisme
posted
Ok, here is the official sign up
We are swapping scrappy string blocks, the center string must be centered and a solid color, 2 and1/2 inch, all other strings can be anything, but no smaller then 1 inch and no bigger then 2 and 1/2. We are to stitch on a muslin or white foundation, use a 1/4 inch seam. Any and all strings can be used, but must be good quality cotton, no threadbare fabrics. We will swap out
block for block. They will be made up in sets of6, we will see for sure how many sign up and then put a maximum number on the sets. They will be dueApril 15th.
Pm me your name, screen and real name, address, and phone. I will not give out any of this info, just have it if for any reason I would need to contact you.

1. Tammy, tisme, 2 sets
2. EvelynB 2 sets
3. Owie. 2 sets. Rec. Smile
4. Nancyc20 2sets rec Smile
5. Emb115742 2 sets
6. Iquiltalot 5 sets rec Smile
7. Bluesnail 3 sets rec. Smile
8. Sue stitches 2 sets rec Smile
9. RN 55 4 sets
10. Terrimae 2 sets recSmile
11. Patch 4 sets rec Smile
12 nicunurse 2 sets
13. Bettyb 2 sets
14. Djbrown 2 sets rec Smile
15. Llcp48. 6 sets
16. a sneaky secret sister?
17. Ljptexas 2 sets rec Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tisme,

Posts: 4586 | Location: It is truly summer!! | Registered: Dec 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
Oops the finished size will be 10.5 inches, so make sure you start bigger, then trim or not, will see what everyone wants on that question

Posts: 4586 | Location: It is truly summer!! | Registered: Dec 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I'll do two sets also. It's disappointing to get only a small number of blocks. I love variety!

Posts: 7039 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
Gotcha Evelyn, I agree, want lots so variety for this quilt in my mind. Lol

Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I will play for 2 sets since it is only 6 per set. I will send you a pm.

Posts: 15217 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
Added you Owie

Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Sent you my info.

Posts: 15217 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
At least 2 sets, maybe more if I get on a roll. Sending PM

So we cut these at 11". so they will be 10 1/2" finished? Finished meaning the size we send you so when we sew them, they will be 10" set in blocks?

Slightly addled...nancy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nancyc20,

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8451 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of emb115724
posted Hide Post
Im in for two sets, or more

" Prayer is for the soul what nourishments is for the body."

Posts: 866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of emb115724
posted Hide Post
? Do we make this block like a crazy quilt block starting in center or a trational block ? My under standing is start in center and work out like making a crazy block,2 1/2 in center.

Posts: 866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to do 5 sets if that is ok. I will PM you my info.

Posts: 300 | Location: usa | Registered: Sep 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of emb115724
posted Hide Post
ok Tisme I think I know what you mean now anwered my own question , I hope

Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
Nancy, I will cut my foundation at 11.5, that gives me an inch to cut down.

Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
OK I'm in for at least 2 sets.

Now is that center string to finish at 2 1/2" or 2"?

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2191 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
My husband encouraged me to sign up for this. I'm going to have to get him quilting. I can do at least two sets. Will send a PM when I figure it out again. Thanks!

"Inside every Girl Gone Wild is a quilt loving grandma waiting to come out" - Gabriel Rutledge

Posts: 556 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
Ok bluesnail and sue stitches, I will get you added. The center piece will cut at 2 and 1/2 inches. Sue will answer you in the Pm, glad you decided to play, it is very easy and much fun!

Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
Tisme i sent you a private message

Posts: 415 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
Got it RN55, will get you added! Thanks!

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Not at home but I'm planning this.
1) Cut 11+" squares of muslin (think I gave 12" square ruler)
2) Lay my 2 1/2" long ruler diagonally with 1 1/4" on corners.
3) Draw on each side of ruler lightly for placement lines of middle strip
4) Cut 2 1/2" x 17" strips of solid color fabrics
5) Glue or pin solid strip face up aligned to pencil marks with printed fabric face down. Stitch, press open. Do the same on other side.

Right???

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EvelynB,

Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
Sounds perfect to me!

Picture of terrimae
posted Hide Post
Sending you my info. I'll commit to 2 sets.

Posts: 1826 | Location: East Coast | Registered: Dec 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
I'm signing up. Will send you my info!

Pam

Posts: 5712 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
Gotcha's lol

Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Will be starting this coming week. My grandbabies are here now and they go home tomorrow. Just curious--what colors are you ladies doing for the middle stripe. I have a red, blue and sage green that I am looking at. Want to mix it up some and make it interesting.

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Made two blocks for approval. I had lots (hundreds) of 8" length strips so had to cut some longer. The center strip is 2" wide. Correct?

Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
Awesome, of course orange is my fav color

Posts: 415 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
[\QUOTE]Just curious--what colors are you ladies doing for the middle stripe. I have a red, blue and sage green that I am looking at. Want to mix it up some and make it interesting.[/QUOTE]

I'll be using black or white since that is what I have. Maybe gray - my new favorite color.

"Inside every Girl Gone Wild is a quilt loving grandma waiting to come out" - Gabriel Rutledge

Posts: 556 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Evelyn, beautiful. Sue sounds good. I have some black also. Can't wait to get started on these.

Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
Evelyn, 2 inches after sewn is right. Those look perfect.
I am going to use some different colors, I have re, black, green, blue, and a rose I think.
I bought a 9 hole cubby today, going to clean up the sewing area tomorrow, then will be ready to start. I am so glad so many of you wanted to play, we will get some great variety!

Picture of bettyb
posted Hide Post
Think I could manage to do 2 sets by April so sign me up. Will send information by pm. Thanks for organizing this swap.

Posts: 518 | Registered: Nov 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
Ok, will sign you up!

Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I thought one of the requirements was no holiday fabrics? I don't see that any more. So we can use holiday fabric? I hope so. Of course it would not be used profusely. Just a piece here and there.

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Bought half yard of red to use as the center string too as I have some very bright prints. Should I make some in one color and some in another? Does it matter? I will probably use white and red. Should I use white muslin for the white strips? I've used up my question allowance so will shut up now. Smile

Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
You can use any color you want, all red will be fine as we have a lot of players. Please don't use muslin in the front though.
And you are allotted 3 questions per day, so you are good again! Lol

Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Holiday fabrics can be used?

Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
Oh. I can handle 2 sets, I think.... 12 block right. Thanks!

Posts: 979 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I was talking to DH about this over breakfast. He said he thought you were not going to do any more swaps. I had to tell him I was missing swaps and love string blocks.lol

Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
Let's not do holiday fabrics. The blocks are to be finished at 10.5 square when you are done.
Owie, I know, I was not doing swaps for at least 6 months! Lol

Picture of ljptexas
posted Hide Post
Is the center strip to be 2.5" before sewing on either side, etc?

Posts: 112 | Location: NE of Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
Yes, cut at 2.5 inches.

Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Cut my blocks and sewed 6 of the middle strips. Just wanted to get started.

Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
Good for you Owie, I went sewing table shopping today with DH. I am getting the local Amish furniture store to custom make one for my machine. DH is getting it for me for my birthday and because I quit smoking.

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a birthday and quitting smoking - as my Aussie friends say - "Good on you!"

Picture of llcp48
posted Hide Post
If it isn't too late to sign up I would like to do this swap. I would like to sign up for 6 sets. That would be 36 blocks, right..

Hugs,
Linda

Posts: 531 | Registered: Aug 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
This swap just threw me into a crying fit. I was down in my stash looking for more scraps and ran across a big box of scraps my daughter gave me. That was all it took. I am the one who has to clean out her sewing room and that will probably land me in the hospital again. Her husband wants me to take the fabric and use it. Just had to share, sorry.

posted Hide Post
Owie- Maybe you will keep remembering more of the good times as you play with her fabrics. Go slowly, cry as you need to, and know you are never alone.

Posts: 417 | Registered: Jan 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I have 20 almost finished. Then I need to pick out the 12 that are really pretty to go into the swap. Mine are kind of dull compared to what EvelynB posted. I need to go look in my stash for more colorful strings.
Thank you longjohn.

Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
Llcp48 you can join us.

Owie, I hope you have good memories while you go through the fabrics, and good cries as you remember.
We are going to have some great blocks, I can't wait to make my sons quilt!

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Owie, It is very hard to look through belongings left behind by a loved one. I hope you can save some fabric for making things with your granddaughter. It would be a sweet way to keep your daughter's memory alive. You need time to get there though. Be as easy as you can on yourself.

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Owie,
I hope you're feeling better. It's generous of your son-in-law to share fabrics. I'm sure he'll love having a quilt using some of it too. Plus saving some for their daughter.
I chose orange for the center strip because I wanted something unique. Since we're doing a variety of colors and there's so many of us, it would be sad to have 9 reds and 3 blacks. I'd rather have many colors or only one. I'm going back to the store to get another solid fabric. I want to make more than two sets. These are fast and easy.