Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pot scrubbers Sign In/Join 
Picture of jacky
posted
Someone made them at the Branson COF retreat,I missed them. I'm looking for a pattern and what is the best netting for them TX

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8989 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
wildcatmom made those - she'll probably come on later but if not, you can PM her...

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5212 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Oh my yes! I use it all the time. It's even good to use on a cast iron skillet.

Posts: 17383 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chanlady22
posted Hide Post
I sure could use a new one!

Happy Stitching...Lois

Posts: 2256 | Location: Chanhassen, MN | Registered: Aug 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
Yep, it was me, jacky.
I will send you some different strips of net that you can try out. Seems everyone likes different net for these. I like scratchy, but it's rough on the crocheter's hands. The soft-easy-on-the-hands scrubbies don't perform as well for me in the kitchen, but might do great at any one of the other 100s of tasks seen on lists for scrubbies.

Some directions you find use narrow net, make them double layered, fancy designs. I just cut the strips 4.5-5" wide, grab a K hook and start making about a 3" disc(depends on the net).

Start w/chain 4, c in beginning loop, then crochet round and round until approz 3". First 2 or 3 rows, 2 dc in each, then 2 in every other, finally last row I can usually do one crochet in each stitch of previous round and it'll still lay flat. If you crochet already, you know sometimes we have to change the way we do it because we crochet tight, loose, whatever.

I tell you all this, & everything might change with a different net. Stiffer requires narrower strips. Sometimes, I use 2 narrower(slightly) strips together if I find that a net that doesn't work as well, or I get bored making them all the same, and the 2 pieces are for interesting look or maybe to use up small random scraps.

Does any of this make sense? Don't give up on me. I'll get something sent your way very soon, and if you have more questions, I'll try to answer for you.

~karen Wave

Posts: 3298 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Makes great sense to me. Thanks for the info. I've never tried the wide strips. Much faster!

Posts: 7572 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info. sounds great!!I want the stiffer ones too.I don't know a lot of crochet but I can do these stitches Smile I'm more a knitter.Like the idea of the two strips together!! Will let you know when sample gets here.Thank you all!!

Posts: 8989 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
l'm with Lois, l need a new one!!!
Mike loves using the one we got in Branson. And, if it'll keep him doing dishes......!

Thanks wildcatmom! Those were great gifts!

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9604 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
Can't believe you don't make these RB!!

Picture of kmouse
posted Hide Post
Wildcatmom , can you describe or post a pic of the stiffer net you use ? I have made these in the past but wasn't to thrilled with them - not really scratchy enough . TIA

"It is not our Abilities that show what we truly are but our choices."

"Live Well , Laugh Often , Love Much "

Posts: 1155 | Location: Beautiful Pacific NW | Registered: Dec 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
Sorry, it's taken me a while to get several different samples of net I have on hand together for their "portrait". Wink
1,3,5,6,7, all purchased @ Joann's
2-?, think Joann's, not certain.
4 & 8, known Non-chain store.

In earlier posts I referred to the "stiffer" & stiffer is probably the wrong word to use. Scratchier, maybe but until they are cut, and crocheted, I've not found a foolproof way to decide if it'll produce the desired results. That's particularly scary since I purchased about 100 yards last weekend. Red Face

Back to the photo.
1,2, & 3 have mesh size that's very similiar. 3 is the "scratchiest" net I've EVER worked with and had to cut narrower strips to work with it, and would avoid making 2 of these in a row, to give my hands a rest. Amazingly, scrubbies from this net have been disappointing to me after using a while. Maybe there's a finish that has washed off?
1 & 2 have almost a vinyl feel, and not scratchy at all. (These are usable for some purposes, just not scrubbing tough pots). I've found myself cutting these into 1-1/2" strips to add a color accent, or normal width strip as an outside rim of color just to use the net up. This net will also work for lint, and scrubbies with a lower "scratchy" requirement. Might even work to scrub Trish's new potatoes. http://scrubbies101uses.blogsp...or-scrubbies_27.html

Mesh size for remaining strips, seems to be pretty much the same. #5 & 6 were purchased at the same time, assuming they'd would perform alike. The lighter lavender is much softer after working up.

I really wish I had a no-fail way of telling everyone how to get the results they want. 20 years ago I thought I knew, but the longer I do them, the less I seem to know. Wink Those of you who make them, and want the sturdier, scratchier scrubbie, have you had any luck with purchasing online? Tell us, please, about your shopping experience.
Wish me luck with the miles of net I purchased @ both Joann's and WalMart this past weekend. Bazaar in November, and the lady who's always made 100+scrubbies didn't make any last year, so I may be the only one making them this year! (she's in her mid 90's tho, and is who I learned from. I think she's done enough.)

I hope this helps.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wildcatmom,

~karen Wave

net scrubbies.

Posts: 3298 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
If I can interject here on the type of fabric you want to use. It's 'netting'.

Not tulle, not bridal, crinoline or millinery tulle or tulle fabric. It's not in a roll, it comes on a bolt and is purchased as you would fabric, by the yard. And you can tell by the feel whether it is netting or a tulle. It is much stiffer and the mesh is generally larger. When checking it out at the store, put your hand between the layers to check the stiffness and mesh. It's folded, I think about four times; you want a single layer.

There are some that use the tulle on a roll but that doesn't last long nor, as far as I'm concerned, work as well. It becomes soft when wet.

Just my experience.

Posts: 6072 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
You are right about the tulle/netting. I use the tulle in place of ribbon for wrapping gifts, and sometimes will wrap the net scrubbies in bundles using the tulle sold on rolls. I've found there to be a huge variety of netting as well, too, without adding tulle. It's mesh is way smaller than the netting. I'll see if I can get a photo that shows a good comparison.
"Netting" is the only material I've found to make the scrubbies I use...and the crisper seems to work best.

BTW, the netting I purchased from Joanns was called "matte". Working it up, some is "crisper" than others.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wildcatmom,

~karen Wave

Picture of sewlove2quilt
posted Hide Post
I don't know how to crochet & a while ago someone posted a link for making various shapes & sizes of scrubbies, & there was a pattern for knitted ones. Netting is knitted along/together w/ sugar & cream cotton yarn. So that's how I make mine. They work great. They are sq not round, though.

Take time for kindness & for giving. Take time for friends & happy living!

Posts: 6819 | Registered: Feb 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kmouse
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wildcatmom , Paus4quilts and sewlove2quilt !
I have to get to making some - It's been so Hot here , I have not been out of the house to buy netting.

"It is not our Abilities that show what we truly are but our choices."

"Live Well , Laugh Often , Love Much "

Posts: 1155 | Location: Beautiful Pacific NW | Registered: Dec 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BonnieN
posted Hide Post
http://www.yoderdepartmentstor...t.aspx?CategoryID=17

Saw this on FBook, Yoders big store in Shipshewanna,is making pot scrubbers,or you can buy them there!

Posts: 2803 | Location:  | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
You rock wildcatmom I got my pkg. Smile and this will help me sooooo much TX to all for the help.Love this place!!!!!

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Mine is getting mighty ragged Smile I use it quite often. DH just looks at it with a weird look on his face....he's good at making a mess in the kitchen - not so good at cleaning up Smile

Posts: 6695 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it made it, jacky.

~karen Wave