Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  your old VCR tapes to computer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

your old VCR tapes to computer Sign In/Join 
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted
This is an old video, just found on Pinterest. I did not know this could be done at home but still have a lot of VCR video's .. for some reason.. lol Hope it helps someone to be able to transfer their treasures.
http://themamasgirls.com/how-t...s-onto-the-computer/

Posts: 3060 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I've been sending my old tapes to DS, as time allows & as I feel like filling a box & paying for postage. He bought a used player (some high quality video production thingy?) & is transferring the tapes to digital via...magic?

I have some cool movies & TV shows & news footage on tape. It's been fun to have DS pick out the really interesting parts of the tapes to share. Even the old commercials are funny.

Posts: 6042 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I had my dad's old home movies transferred to VHS tapes some years ago then had those transferred to DVD's with copies made for the rest of the family. It was fun watching them 50+ years after they were taken Smile Better not go to yet another medium. Going from the tapes to the DVD wasn't very expensive - it cost more to transfer the home movies to the tape initially.

Posts: 6655 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
My biggest expense is postage. It's averaging about a dollar a tape to mail. I have hundreds of tapes...you do the math. DS is contributing his time. He's the one who wanted to do this, before stuff turned to dust (like my old 8-track tapes!).

Posts: 6042 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
You might be able to find someone to transfer from the VHS tapes to a DVD for far less overall than it would cost you to mail them individually - the DVD's can hold multiple VHS records + it will be cheaper to mail a DVD rather than a tape in any event. I don't remember how much I paid to have my VHS records transferred tot he DVD but I seem to remember being pleasantly surprised that it wasn't much higher. I found the guy here from the phone book. Doesn't hurt to ask - maybe it would work for you.

Posts: 6655 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
you transfer the tapes yourself on the info i posted. But I am sure there are people that can do it for you. Actually, some computer literate people, not like myself, probably already can do it. These young people find everything so easy to do on the computer.

Posts: 3060 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
Boomer, I'm glad to hear it isn't very expensive to go from VHS to DVDs. My dad had many home movies from the 1940's put on VHS, now I might try them on DVD. There is a boat load more that didn't get on to VHS. *sigh*

piney

Posts: 3221 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just started doing this two weeks ago. We bought one thing that was a total flop (Roxio easy VHS to DVD at Sam's Club) and then another one Dazzle DVD Recorder HD that includes Pinnacle Studio (bought at Best Buy) that works just fine. It does take time and there is more that we an do with it than we are. I just want them transferred now to be preserved--perhaps a second run through we will edit them more. My husband is doing this now--he will have to teach me as I am not nearly as good at learning new computer stuff as he is!

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had just started thinking that I need to finalize some of the DVDs that I have recorded some shows and movies on to so that they can be played on another DVD if this one goes.

I should have started transferring the VHS tapes to DVD years ago. Have lots and lots of them. Right now we have a comb DVD and VHS, but when it is gone I will be out of luck.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6344 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
I didn't know you could do this via the computer. How interesting! Once you get them on the computer, you could then copy them to DVD and mail them to anyone you wish. Seems like it would use a lot of computer space so you couldn't want to leave them on the computer. There is Dropbox you could use for storage, but I even got Dropbox full, lol. Big Grin I'm cheap and not paying for extra storage, but there may be other programs out there that don't charge.

DH bought a cheap VHS Recorder with DVD player on Ebay several years ago and transferred all of our old VHS tapes to DVD's. I had some old Simply Quilt shows he moved from the old tapes to DVD.

I remember we went to Walgreens to see about getting the tapes transferred to DVD. It was around $30 a tape!

Devonne

Posts: 14994 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
DS is popping in a tape before he leaves for work & letting it run, so it's done when he gets home. (Reminds me of putting dinner in the slow cooker before work!) Then he can sit & edit at his leisure.

posted Hide Post
It does take up lots of computer space, but what we plan to do is (and have transferred some to disc already) transfer from VHS player through Dazzle/pinnacle to computer then export to burn a disc copy plus store a copy on a desktop external hard drive. When we have a copy on the external drive, we will delete it from the computer. Doing it this way will give us additional ways to play the recorded movies. Pinnacle even has a way to "freeze" a screen and make a picture from a movie as well as import pictures into your movie. The Dazzle/pinnacle program recognizes some type of code that the Roxio did not (we were not having luck playing burned discs back on our CD/DVD player when we tried Roxio--Dazzle worked for us). Compatibility between computer and players is very important! One home movie we still can't get to copy to disc--hubby will have to spend more time on that one to see why not! With Dazzle/pinnacle you can edit things out and add script in (we are not doing all of this just yet but hope to go back and do some of this on a second time through!). This Dazzle/pinnacle that we bought was under $70.

You can use a Desktop external hard drive to back-up important things on your computer. It plugs into the computer then you unplug it and store it elsewhere. Plug it back in to access your stuff (put more on it, edit, delete etc.). It is not like the cloud. These are sold separately and the price depends on how much memory it will hold. Toshiba makes one. We plan to use one to back-up home movies and pictures so that we can delete them from the computer, but still have a copy! Computer stores or places that sell computers would have these (office max is one place).

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
I need an external hard drive, just have never bought one. I was saving important things to Dropbox, but when I put my embroidery software on it, it was all of a sudden full. Big Grin

The Dazzle sounds like great software. I like that you can edit with it. We had a bookcase full of old VHS tapes. I don't think we have any now. DH transferred all the old movies he had saved to tapes, but we've only watched two of them since he did this. Good to know it's all there.

Does anyone know if you can transfer 8mm tape? (ok, I'm telling my age, lol). Our oldest son is 45 years old and these old tapes we have are his baby pictures and when we bought our first house in 1970. These are tapes that are in a little blue container. Anyone remember them? I need an 8mm tape to DVD converter. I'm sure there is one out there somewhere.

Devonne

Posts: 14994 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
There are services @ many photo processing that can transfer 8mm & probably most media. We have a tape type camcorder, c-something I think, that has a jack that hooks up to the inputs on our vhs/dvd recorder and it will copy home video. If player for 8mm has those jacks , it should do the job.

Costco, WalMart, Walgreens, etc might be the place to check, if you've got a few cherished video you want dubbed.

We have the Dazzle, but have never used it as it . Also have a player/recorder that's hooked up to our tv and it's just simpler to use it, so far.

~karen Wave

Posts: 3269 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Devonne, my husband transferred some 8mm films (they are actual films that are played on a projector and shown on a screen) to a VHS tape simply by showing the film on a screen while simultaneously taping it on a camcorder placed on a tripod. As you are doing it, you can have appropriate music playing and even narrate who is who. The trick is to find a projector that works! We probably have a few of those type left to do too. Some day, I will have to dig all of that out and see if it still works or take it somewhere to be done. The ones that I have were my parents tapes of their early married years until I was about 5. They are a treasure. I wished they would have used it longer because it is fun watch. We had put some of the best ones on VHS and are now going from VHS to disc and external hard drive.

We had a "c" type camcorder years ago. It was a small version camcorder that we really liked because of its size (the first camcorders were really big and it was hard to hold them steady so we graduated from the bigger one to the smaller C type which had the tapes) and then digital camera with movie ability came next for us (the camera was even smaller and downloaded directly to the computer so all the rest of the stuff we owned prior to this just sat from that point on!). Now we are backtracking to get all of the stuff that just sat onto disc and external hard drive.

It is hard to keep up with all the changes! We figure that by putting it on an external hard drive, we would be able to keep up with changes easier. There are programs that help convert old program stuff to new programs. Hopefully, if we convert old to today--tomorrow conversions will work on the "today" stuff! We will have to keep up!

I want to add just one more tidbit. When we were deciding what to do a few weeks back, the salesperson also suggested a VHS to DVD player that would be found in the TV section of the store rather than the computer section where Dazzle was. This player was more expensive than Dazzle. Besides cost and more importantly we decided against it because we wanted to be sure we could use transfers on the computer as well as a DVD player connected to a TV. When you are deciding, be sure to consider how and where you will use your stuff. Ask questions! When you do your first transfer, be sure to try it as you want to use it. Not all equipment is compatible with each other even the computer ones (the Roxio computer generated disc we made would not play on the DVD TV player). Hubby could transfer VHS tapes to the computer using Roxio, but the discs he made would not play on the TV DVD player.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ImaQuilter,

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
It was the home movies taken in the late 50's after early 60's that I had converted to VHS tapes some years ago and then onto DVD's a few years ago. I have no idea "how" the person I hired did it - my eyes would glaze over just thinking about it Smile - they sure brought back lots of memories - I had a final set of the DVD's made for my baby sister (6 years younger) - she was too young to remember most of the things Dad had taken movies of.

None of the films were labeled - one we had transferred turned out to be a trip my father had taken to watch the Indianapolis 500 with my uncle one year. An entire DVD of cars driving around in circles..... Smile

Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
Gosh I have may VHS tapes I would like to turn into DVD's. I also have a lot of slides you use a projector with. Is there a way to copy slides to a DVD?

PamSmile

Posts: 5878 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Yes on the slides to the computer - DS has a piece of equipment that does that, too. I think it's a Canon brand? I've never seen it, only heard about it.

He also salvaged some really old negatives that were on glass. Others in our family thought those were worthless & that there was nothing useful on them. (The negatives almost got thrown out!) DS was able to scan them somehow & come up with images 100 years old. He found baby pictures & other pics we didn't know existed. I don't know what sort of equipment he used for that. He's a gadget geek, thank goodness! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StarrySky,

Picture of sewnso
posted Hide Post
The site you posted Cathy has now been taken down. Does anyone know where there is another place to see this?

If life hands you scraps make quilts

Posts: 3068 | Location: Southern BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Pam - I'd suggest checking the phone book and getting the name of a person who does this for a living - full or part-time - give them a call and get an estimate and answers to any questions you may have and go from there. What I had done was not very expensive (didn't have any slides though) but it was several years ago. It would be wonderful to salvage the slides as well, how cool!

Along those lines - kudos on whoever has the 100 year old memories Smile I'd have loved to have taken pictures from my grandparents when they passed; however, being just a "granddaughter" they went to the children and my dad didn't get any of them for some reason Frown

posted Hide Post
This has been an interesting thread. We are in the process of going through pictures (family history ones) too. We will be sure to put all those negatives together to sort too. Some of the negatives might be in better shape than the actual pictures. Sorting through everything is a huge job, but someone has to do it to preserve the history in a way that can be passed through future generations easily. The polaroid pictures from the 60's seem very vulnerable to fading.

Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
We have an HP printer/scanner/copier that has a fitting for scanning negatives and slides. The software that came with it will do some of the color correction and remove slight dust and scratches, if you want. Did hundreds of old slides and negatives my Mom had. Those can be made into a slideshow and put onto dvd. Our family(sibs and their families) as well as Mom and Dad have gotten a kick out of viewing these old photos.
According to some of the sites for "digital conversion" any media you have can be converted. Do a search for "video transfer services".
Several years ago, weren't there business that converted childhood collections into a tape or disc for graduation gifts? Current social media might help you find a local person can perform this service and not have to mail those treasures away.

It's more work than you would imagine, cleaning up those old negative and slides. Much like quilting. Wink Prices vary quite a bit, and it could very well be a case of "you get what you pay for". Someone with a lot of experience, but will enhance the photo, edit tapes (or let you edit) You won't love exact copy of poor quality media.

ETA: I wanted to share a favorite photo of Mom and her brother we uncovered before her 80th birthday. Having it is worth a lot to me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wildcatmom,

~karen Wave

M & C

Posts: 3269 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
I think you can save them on a sb card. that may be the wrong word. But the little card you click in to your computer like they do for alot of music. When done take it out. it frees up your computer space. I think. lol sorry I am not a computer person.