Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  SunShine Quilters - Jan 2013
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SunShine Quilters - Jan 2013 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Elainetoo
posted
Welcome to the Sunshine Quilters - our Website is listed at the bottom of this note. Our mission is to bring SunShine into the life of our receivers.

Each member is asked to make one or more blocks for the assigned hostess each month. The hostess then assembles and donates quilts to the charity of their choice.
(Anyone on the forum can make blocks for a monthly hostess. If you're not on the member list and don't have the hostess' address, PM her and let her know you'd like to help by sending blocks.)

Blocks are to be sent to the hostess around the 1st of their month. If late, please post here with your intentions to send later. If you can't make a block that month, that's ok, sometimes life is too busy. Post on the monthly thread and perhaps someone can send extra blocks to the hostess that month.

The required monthly blocks are listed in the blog below. Elainetoo is the hostess for January.

Happy New Year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

Posts: 7981 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Remember that there's still time to make blocks for any of the hostess' this year.

Posts: 7981 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MTfarmer
posted Hide Post
We're pretty quiet. Burning the midnight oil for Christmas gifts? Please post if you still need blocks. Inspiration could strike. Thanks, Cindy

Posts: 290 | Location: Bloomfield, MT | Registered: Aug 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Thanks MT.. for moving this to the top recently. I've been away with limited internet access.

Hoping that QuilterChris is getting some blocks for her Dec hostess month... although I know myself at a couple others sent double blocks earlier in the year to her cause of the holiday crush.

I'll get my mail today, so maybe I've got some blocks awaiting me for Jan also.

The holidays are so busy, and I'm way behind, but hope to start soon on blocks for next year.

Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Mailing these to QuilterChris this week!

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

For donated quilts for the kids, check out the photos at
http://kc1930.blogspot.com/201...-pictures-below.html

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Elaine, can you post the 2013 requirements on the blog? Many thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KC1930,

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KC1930:
Wlaine, can you post the 2013 requirements on the blog? Many thanks!

Hi.. they're there. You should see a tab for 2013 at the top of the page???? And all the requirements are there.

Let me know if you can't see it.. maybe I'm seeing it cause I created it and didn't publish it right. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
I'm making a trip to the post office in the morning. KC, have 4 coming to you, 2 Christmas theme are going to QuilterChris...and in looking at this picture I think one of my blocks is "spinning" the opposite way!! Looking over the themes, couple questions or comments come to mind: June//jmauk...you want stray blocks, just double checking any size, kid type fabric theme? and in reading Oct/WarmBuns, if someone wants to do those for my Sept that would be fine, I like that block!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Aliquilt, I've updated your Sept requirements to indicate the October block could be done.

Thanks for getting some blocks done during this busy time of year.

Picture of sewlove2quilt
posted Hide Post
I just printed off the block patterns for Jan & feb...hope to get some made after I get all my Christmas gifts finished...

I'm new to this swap & wondering if the blocks are suppose to be mailed 'b4' each month or during the month??

https://www.etsy.com/people/sewlove2quilt2

Take time for kindness & for giving. Take time for friends & happy living!

Posts: 6780 | Registered: Feb 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sewlove2quilt:
I'm new to this swap & wondering if the blocks are suppose to be mailed 'b4' each month or during the month??

Glad you've joined us. The instructions use to say by the first of the month... but that didn't very often happen. So I changed the wording to say around the 1st of the month. But each hostess is more then glad to get blocks whenever you can do them during her month. And a few people ask even months later, when they have some time, if any of the previous hostesses would like some more blocks. Long, but hope that answers your question.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
ttt.. with a very Merry Christmas to all (or Happy Holiday) however you celebrate the season.

Enjoy your holidays and hope we all get some quality time in quilting.

Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Aliquilt, thank you for the lovely blocks! Big Grin

If that is the last of them, I will start working on putting them together after the holidays.

Thank you all for your kindness and support!

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
I have four blocks for February done and 2 for March, with 2 cut out.

Skipped January for the time being to see what kind of blocks are sent - then I can do a little better with going along the same lines with fabric.

Plans are to make a Quilt of Valor for the Retreat in June.

Happy New Year ladies.

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
I've also been working on blocks for February. I already had January done and mailed. There are several UFOs I could be working on but they all take a lot of thinking and concentration. With the cold I have I wanted something easy to do - and the February blocks are quite simple so are perfect for that! I have 4 done and 2 more cut. They aren't quite as large as we usually make so I decided to make more than I normally do.

Posts: 6472 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Great Lou. Your January blocks are sitting here waiting for some companions.

Don't remember if they were posted when received, so here they are.

Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Chris, did you get my blocks?

Picture of Quilter Chris
posted Hide Post
Yes KC I did I have been under the weather and off the boards. I am sorry. Quilter Chris

Posts: 174 | Location: Saint Anne, Illinois | Registered: Jul 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
I'm having a big family get-together this weekend, so as soon as it is over I will be able to pull out my sewing stuff and get going. Sunshine blocks are at the top of my list. I haven't sewn anything in what seems like months! I'm going through withdrawal.
Joan

Posts: 377 | Location: Middle of the Mitten | Registered: Apr 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Thanks for checking in, Chris. With the Christmas rush, I wondered if they would arrive safely.

My seceret stocking sister made me these awesome green (my favorite color!) blocks for me. Aren't they something? Hugs to PattyJ for being so thoughtful! Group Hug

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Chris, sorry you have been under the weather. Hope you're feeling better soon.

KC, love the greens. How nice of your SSS.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Happy New Year - to a great year of quilting and giving.

Here's another top completed from September blocks - only had to do 4 additional ones to go with the more 'feminine' blocks supplied by this great group.

Looking forward to receiving some blocks for January for a QOV.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Terimae, thank you for the blocks received today.

Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a bolt of cotton batting with my gift cards, but once it arrives I need to get "down & dirty" with my quilting!

Elaine, I will be making the January blocks next week and will let your know once they ship.

Picture of Charmingsister
posted Hide Post
I have January blocks made and will try to get them mailed out on Monday.

February blocks are done too. That is such a cute block. One that I was never aware of but may be making more of them some day.

I need to come up with a block for March but should decide on one soon.

Posts: 2565 | Location: now in the sunshine | Registered: Oct 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Here are the blocks I'll be mailing for February. This is a great choice of block - cute but very easy! I made two blocks of each fabric - very little extra work using strip piecing.

posted Hide Post
January blocks will be mailed beginning of the week.

Colors are a little off. My ironing board is not really browny/orangey

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charmingsister,

Posts: 2565 | Location: now in the sunshine | Registered: Oct 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
February blocks will go out a little later in the month, but they are done.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Good to see blocks being made. Thank you ladies.

Here's my Feb contribution for FayeJean. Will mail next week along with a few other packages.

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Elaine, do you need any more blocks for January? I hope to get back to doing these this year!

Posts: 4570 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AngelaC:
Elaine, do you need any more blocks for January? I hope to get back to doing these this year!

Oh yes, please. Haven't figured it out yet, but being 9" blocks, I'm going to need a supply to make a QOV. Whatever is received helps reduce the number I have to make also.

Thanks.

Picture of sewlove2quilt
posted Hide Post
Made these 4 blocks for ya today...sorry I'm soooo late!! My machine was put away for the holidays and just got it back out! I'll try & do better from now on!! I hope to get these sent off to you tomorrow!!

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Charmingsister, your blocks arrived today - thank you.

sewlov2quilt - thank you. They'll be a nice addition to the quilt.

posted Hide Post
You are welcome. I'm glad they got there safely.

Picture of Fayejean
posted Hide Post
Pvillelou, your beautiful blocks arrived today. Thank you

Posts: 505 | Location: MI | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
You are welcome, Fayejean. Glad to know they arrived.

Picture of sewlove2quilt
posted Hide Post
I made a few blocks for feb today and will mail them in a few days!

Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
I finished January'sblocks last night and have Feb's cut out. Will mail both of them on Monday. I finally feel as if I am making headway. Good way to start the New Year.
Joan

Posts: 377 | Location: Middle of the Mitten | Registered: Apr 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Quiltinana2, thank you. Will post when received. Later this month I'll start on the quilt.

FayeJean - these Feb blocks are going to make a really pretty quilt. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

I have March done and working on April blocks in between the quilts and binding that have to be done. This is my productive time, once the good weather comes, I don't have that much sewing time.

I do have several pictures that have to be posted in our Album. Hope to get some of that work done in the next week.

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I worked on blocks for Jan, Feb & Mar today. 2 for each month. I plan to mail this week.

here's January:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AngelaC,

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
and February:

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
and March:

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Thank you AngelaC..

I'm mailing a few packages today - one of them being the Feb blocks for FayeJean.

Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
Wow, those are some pretty blocks.

I had forgotten how much fun it is to "sample" a new or different block this way. Get's you out of your rut without being committed to a whole quilt - plus a good cause benefits. When I was a frequent contributor (intend to be again) I used to make an extra block for me and pretty soon I'd have enough for a sampler quilt.

posted Hide Post
Jan. blocks in the mail.

Posts: 109 | Registered: Sep 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These blocks are just beautiful. You ladies are doing wonderful and I love the patterns chosen. Your charities are going to love your quilts. Maggie

Keeping them warm~~~Keeping us safe

Posts: 2483 | Location: QWL CENTER | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
ajne and Sewlove2quilt.. received your blocks yesterday. Thank you. Here's ajnes; Sewlove2quilt posted pictures earlier.

Picture of sewlove2quilt
posted Hide Post
I had to make a PO run so mailed off my feb blocks to Faye today! I can't wait to see this top done...love the colors!!!

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
KC - your blocks came today. Thank you.

Now I have to start counting blocks and see how many I have to make to fill a QoV quilt top.

Picture of Fayejean
posted Hide Post
I will be mailing four January blocks tomorrow.

Posts: 505 | Location: MI | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post