Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  2014 Stashbusters -- January winner named...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2014 Stashbusters -- January winner named... Sign In/Join 
Picture of Gonesewin
posted
Happy New Year and Welcome to the first month of the 2014 Stashbusting Thread.

I am Gonesewin and I will be starting a new thread for each month for everyone to post pictures (If at all possible) or tell us about your stashbusting efforts.

Everyone is welcome! Just as long as what you make is mostly from stash and it is finished during the month you post it as finished - please don't post things you made otherwise - sew & tell would be a more appropriate thread to share those projects. There are no signups, or swapping or... Just this thread.

As an incentive - or as a reward - cksvett has graciously agreed to give a prize to someone who completes a stashbuster each month if her name is drawn. Let's all be sure to thank her! Any kind of Quilting & Needlework will get your name into the drawing. Projects that have their own category on the HGTV boards will not - but please feel free to share them!

Stashbusters for January:

Jayardi
Gardenpat
motqltr
Will Quilt for Chocolate
Rainbow
Angela C
Gonesewin
SeeingStars
Elainetoo
Savedsinnr
cksvett
Marion2
F/quarter
debbieWI
Mary J
City/Sandie
Malou
nlk
Twostep
Sue Stitches
alexemmarose
knot me
Cookie Quilts
Handie Ann

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gonesewin,

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5138 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I completed, laundered and frayed the 4 baby quilts I had wanted to complete before the end of December. These are still warm from the dryer, so literally "hot off the presses".
This is for Tiffany in Spokane, her baby is almost 1 year old.

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3643 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
for someone who works w/ my husband

~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3643 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
for my friend's 1st grandson; baby Will

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
last one; for a fball friend. She just announced and not sure when she's due, or if b/g; so I added flowers and fball ppl.

Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
Here is a stashbusting project from Malou. I was supposed to post it yesterday but I forgot! So sorry Malou!!! She's got a story about it too!

Posts: 5029 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Malou, nice looking project, is it a bag?? Now what is the story??

Posts: 8152 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
motqltr, you've been busy! Those quilts like comfy!

Here's the baby quilt l quilted today. This one is for a baby due in April. l finished early!!! l don't think l've ever done that before. LOL lt is all from stash. Most of the fabric is leftover from a baby quilt l made in 2012. l just let it form it's own pattern.

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9581 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
And here's the block l made for Sandra's aunt. l also crocheted the angels for her aunt, too. All from stash including the angels although l do know that doesn't count!Smile

Helps to add the pic!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rainbow,

======================

Posts: 9581 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
motqtr, love all your rag baby quilts! Nice and colorful and I bet they are warm and cuddly too!

Rainbow, I love that baby quilt! And the block and angels are so special and I know Sandie appreciates you making them.

Thanks WQFC for posting my journal cover!
No, it's not a purse patty!
And the story is .... last year I made many journal covers for family. A sister asked if I could make a bigger one for her friend. She needed a little bigger than 8.5"x11".
I did, and mailed it to her along with some Christmas presents.

She threw the journal cover away along with the packaging!!! She didn't look through everything and her trash had been picked up before she discovered she had done that!
I was not pleased!! But made her another one for her friend and will mail it alone in a padded envelope!!
That's the story!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Oh how sad that is Malou. I guess it does happen though. My DIL received a set of pots and pans from me and unpacked it, tossed out the box. When DS moved the box in the garage he thought it was still pretty heavy, checked and found the rest of the set. I was surprised that they didn't check the whole box, I always do. Especially when they saw the picture of the contents and didn't end up with all the parts.

Posts: 8152 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
Malou, sad story.
The raggy quilts were actually made over a few weeks. Then clipping took some time. I finally laundered them on the 1st. They are fun to make. I try to have a "stash" of squares with the "X" sewn, so they are finished pretty quickly.

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I got some blocks made for the January Sunshine Quilters

Posts: 4691 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
And a couple of blocks for ilovemy4kids auntie's quilt.

Not much, but at least I used some stash! Smile

Posts: 4691 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Saved Sinner, your package should be there on Tuesday. Mailed it this morning... Chris

Posts: 6227 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
malou, l thought it looked like a journal cover. You really whip those out! Too bad one was thrown away, though!

Angela, blocks made for other is a great way to use up stash!

l finished this UFO for Jill's Challenge. lt is all from stash.

======================

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
At Joanns cutting station I was talking to one of the workers who recognizes me. She asked what I was making and I told her I was working on doll quilts and she said she uses her stash (mostly not quilting fabrics) to make simple dresses for Clothes to Kids. Another great idea for using the stash I hadn't thought about. CTK is a local group that supplies clothes for children up to 3 times a year. Everything from shoes to shirts or tops. I find gently worn pants and jeans for them when I do my garage saleing as they are always needing pants, especially for boys.

Washing a load of childrens prints for the Sunshine blocks that need. Have to change my thinking from QWL to other things. Quite a switch to children's quilts but want to have some made so I am ready when another disaster happens... Chris

Posts: 6227 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Here's a quilt that my daughter and I made. She shopped my stash, I cut the pieces, she sewed them together, I quilted it and sewed on the binding then she hand finished it. She purchased the fleece backing and the binding. The batting was some I'd gotten from Branson COF.

by the way, did I mention that we did it in less than 2 weeks?

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

Posts: 5138 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I got these made - all stash - for the 2014 Sunshine Quilters, January edition.

Picture of SavedSinnr
posted Hide Post
What a GREAT start to 2014!!! LOVE the quilts and projects done so far!! I'm in for a MAJOR stash busting year this year Smile

Here's a quilted cover I made for my front door window... it's made with leftovers from Steve's quilt I made last year ... just a quick start to kick off the new year! Not the best of pics, but will have to do this morning Smile

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 8008 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of the projects here are fantastic. You all are an inspiration for getting things done and using stash. I am not a quilter but I do a lot of crocheting so my items would not be eligble for the prizes but I do get a lot more crocheting done after looking at your great projects.

Posts: 580 | Location: Brookings, SD | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
We would still love to see you work!

Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
I tried a little exercise in transparency - hoping to blend the blue/greens and the orange at their intersections. It didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but it was a good learning exercise.

BTW, I really hope to make more journal quilts this year and post here more often. (And finish my UFO challenge each month, and .....)

Posts: 3641 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kay53
posted Hide Post
what's a journal quilt?

Posts: 30 | Location: mo | Registered: Sep 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
A journal quilt is basically a small (8.5 by 11-ish) art quilt. Think of a sketch book / journal but translated to fabric. I'm hoping to try a few new techniques and I like working with a size where it doesn't take a huge time commitment. If you google Journal Quilts, you'll find lots of photos.

Posts: 3641 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Great projects.

Here's a lap quilt finished today. All stash, combined, mine, a friend's inheritance and some donated to Caring Quilters. Finally getting to use up some of these piles.

Posts: 8137 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
here's 1/2 the 2013 Forum BOM oh yeah, I did have to buy the background - forgot that .. but everything else is stash.

Posts: 8137 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kay53
posted Hide Post
thanks for explaining the journal quilt.that will be another project for this year.

Posts: 30 | Location: mo | Registered: Sep 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
no pics; but I sewed tonite. Almost finished Jan mugrug; worked on 2 blocks for Sandra's aunt; selected fabs for a mystery quilt with a fb group. I'm going to use the fab from Chris that I "won" from stashbusting.

Picture of Marion2
posted Hide Post
I made 3 potholders. They all have the same backing--stash left from my last years January wallhanging. This pattern takes 5 8 1/2" squares so I found some more fabric I can use for more potholders.

Posts: 5730 | Location: OK | Registered: Jun 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Everyone's work is so nice this month. SeeingStars, I'm intrigued by that transparency look. Gosh you must have a great eye for color. Nice work.

Nicki

Posts: 8331 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Here's a 3rd completed. A cheater panel outlined. Lap-sized quilt.

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
A bunch of neat things again this month.

Love the way you framed the fish block. Still a lot of panels left from doing the QWL tops, so this helps in the idea way.

Just realized that I need to post theSunshine blocks I am doing as they use a little of my stash. March blocks... Chris

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
February's blocks... Chris

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Here's January... Chris

Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
You've all been so busy! I feel like a slacker! but here is a quilt I just finished to donate to Children's Hospital. a sweet friend gave me this panel, but it had no side borders and so it was a bit too narrow. I added the solid blue on the sides and then again on the top and bottom to even it out. Machine quilted it and backed and bound it with a remnant in my stash that has been needing a purpose!

pat

Posts: 5146 | Location: central ohio | Registered: Apr 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
I posted this on the UFO thread a few days ago, but realized that it is a stashbuster as well and to finish it, I used the cut off remainder of a past quilt backing to back it! Yay!! That backing fabric is no longer in my stash in any size!!!

pat

Posts: 5146 | Location: central ohio | Registered: Apr 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I love everyone's work!

Picture of SavedSinnr
posted Hide Post
Sounds like there's been some busy quilters here! Gardenpat, I LOVE that majestic mountains (is that what it's called?)

CKSVETT~ THANK YOU for the awesome prize package for last months Stashbusters winning! You have such great taste, and I LOVE it all Smile

I've done another log cabin cross ... this one is for my Mom's BD on Friday... it will be in the mail tomorrow ... I hope she likes it, and you can't see it very well, but the quilting thread on the center part of the cross is gold ... I'm getting more and more confy doing these Smile

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 8008 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of F/quarter
posted Hide Post
One of many I'm working on.Cord Keepers

Connie Chamberlain

Cord Keerers

Posts: 1706 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SavedSinner

Love your log cabin cross quilt! Do you use a pattern?

Gina

Posts: 350 | Location: in the land of quilting | Registered: Jan 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TerryOH
posted Hide Post
Steph, this is a Quilting and Needlework board so I think knitting and crocheting qualifies as stash busting

TerryOH

Posts: 2422 | Location: OH | Registered: Nov 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of F/quarter
posted Hide Post
I had a few of hand towels for years.I found a use for them.I only have one picture,it's a burp towel.

Connie Chamberlain

Posts: 1706 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
what kind of embroidery machine do you have?

Picture of F/quarter
posted Hide Post
I have a Babylock Ellageo Plus.

Connie Chamberlain

Picture of EBGQ
posted Hide Post
what is a cord keeper?

Posts: 2167 | Registered: Sep 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
Posting this Stashbuster finish for Malou. I think she's visiting a friend this morning, but she'll be along later to talk about it! I like it!

Posts: 5029 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Great projects ladies. You have all been so productive!!

I need to get in gear, too.

Mary

Posts: 4040 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
these are a few of the Kleenex box cover that I finished this month. I made 20 from stash and 1 from purchased material. Easy pattern

Posts: 1111 | Registered: Jan 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Added the 2 borders to this top on Monday. All stash. It is Sister's Choice from Bonnie Hunter's site.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: debbieWI,

Posts: 1111 | Registered: Jan 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post