Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  PAJAMA PARTY - Woven Snowflake - This Friday - 8:30 PM EST
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PAJAMA PARTY - Woven Snowflake - This Friday - 8:30 PM EST Sign In/Join 
Picture of Gonesewin
posted
Hi all! So sorry to be a day late. Actually we might be a little later than that because there is some homework to be done before Friday to make these woven snowflakes...

You need to fuse a piece of Christmas fabric 7"x7" to both sides of a piece of Timtex or Peltex - a VERY stiff interfacing. Each side should have a different or coordinating fabric. You can buy 2 sided fusible stiffner or you can use a fusible web to the fabric then adhere it to the stiffner.

Try to get this done and I'll see you at 8:30 EST for the rest of the instructions!

You'll also need:
an ornament hanger - ribbon or embroidery thread work well

hot glue & gun (preferred), super glue - or white glue will work

rotary cutter, ruler and mat

iron and board or mat

8 paper clips or small binder clips

Scissors

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gonesewin,

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5170 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
Hi Lori , I'm hoping to make the class, the only thing I can think of that I have on hand is a piece of the stuff to make the postcards out of? It may be one you mentioned, but I can't find any markings to identify it, will that work? It is stiff...

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7076 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I use Pel- &/or Tim- tex for my postcards too. So without seeing it I'm going to say it will work. I've used posterboard fairly successfully but the Tim or Pel tex is best.

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

Posts: 5170 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
The stiffest thing I have right now is a piece of card stock. Will that work? Mine might wind up being a "flimsy" snowflake. Wink

Nicki

Posts: 8441 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
A little embarrassed here...but what is the project going to be? Any pictures?

Posts: 5035 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
nlk - if you could glue 2 or 3 papers together then it should work ok.

Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
I will not be able to join in on Friday. On vacation, and will check out the instructions when I get back

Enjoy!

Mary

Posts: 4048 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted to make one of these! Should it have the same fabric on both sides?

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
You can have one fabric on both sides or two different fabrics can be used if you wish.

posted Hide Post
I have sew-in stiff interfacing-- could I just fuse Christmas fabric to both sides?

Posts: 1976 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Quilter Jen, you can try but I think that will be too flimsy.

posted Hide Post
Thought so. Might try to have my dad pick up some fusible stiff interfacing before Friday... hurt my hamstring so trying not to go out or walk a lot this week.

Posts: 1976 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Looks like fun Lori, Just might have to try this. I think I have the right kind of timtex and for sure I have holiday fabric, lots of it.LOL I'll try to make class on time. Pat

Posts: 8190 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
A project that doesn't require a ripper....YAY!!!! Big Grin Will I be able to mentally accept a project without a ripper?

Nicki

Posts: 8441 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
The ornament looks lovely & I am thinking I might be able to try this one. looking forward to Friday.

Posts: 5326 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chanlady22
posted Hide Post
Now,that looks confusing. This might be a PJ party where we leave the wine glass in the cupboard and PAY ATTENTION! Should be fun.

Happy Stitching...Lois

Posts: 2247 | Location: Chanhassen, MN | Registered: Aug 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
ttt

Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
It looks like a very cool project, Lori. Not sure if I can join in at the start, but hope to jump in when I can. I have all of the supplies on hand already Smile.

Posts: 5069 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
I'm having my GS stay overnite Fri. so parents can celebrate Anniversary. He is 7, could he do this too? I have my fabric fused, paperclips and other supplies at the ready. Maybe GS will be watching. Don't know about him and super glue.LOL

Posts: 8190 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about a 7 yo boy and superglue either! With help from Grandma it should be doable though Smile

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I still don't have supplies I need so I may just be watching Friday night.

Nicki

posted Hide Post
I'm ready for tonight!!!

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Me too! Ready for tonightSmile

Posts: 782 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to this, but didn't do my homework...I've been bad teach...

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7076 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shauna's crafty quilter
posted Hide Post
oh man I wish I would have check this out sooner. I have all the stuff I need at work. I'll be doing this tomorrow! I have to work Saturday and will bring everything I need home to do. Thanks Lori for doing this!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars!!"

Posts: 3437 | Location: hopefully at my sewing machine | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I just got home from work...Give me 2 mins!!!

posted Hide Post
No supplies since I can't drive very easily... but will watch from th sidelines.

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Go to the new thread Everyone ---> http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...4011632/m/1063936477