Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  My little corner of the world
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My little corner of the world Sign In/Join 
Picture of Happy Erme
posted
I know my Facebook friends have seen the pictures but I thought maybe some of my board buddy's may not have seen the pictures. As you can tell I am thrilled over it. I have wanted a room just for sewing for a long time.

The fabric storage wall and a cutting/crafting table.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Happy Erme,

Erma

Smile Craft Happens! Smile

Posts: 3192 | Location: TX | Registered: Mar 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
next a place for my antique toy sewing machine, and more storage for tools for beading, sewing and crafting.

Erma

Posts: 3192 | Location: TX | Registered: Mar 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
A place for my Granny's Treadle and traveling machine ready to go. Waiting for a retreat.

Erma

Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
I think this will do just fine.

Erma

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
You have an awesome sewing space. Looks like everythin you will ever need is in there. I love all your shelving. It keeps everything so organized.

Nicki

Posts: 8514 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary J
posted Hide Post
Nice!! Great space. Smile

Posts: 5234 | Location: Cornfields of Indiana | Registered: Sep 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I love having a dedicated woman cave. Obviously you don't live in the heat of Texas. My garage has a wall of shelves with bins of fabric but it's so hot out there it's hard to breath.

Posts: 7586 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Love your space. Everything is handy and organized.

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9604 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
I love your sewing space. I could see myself being very happy working away in there. I would also like to give you a pat on the back for being so neat & organized. WTG!

Posts: 5328 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Neat and organized come to mind when I look at your pictures. I'm loving your space. Your "little Corner of the world" is functional. Great space, thanks for sharing with us.
Pat

Posts: 8269 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
very nice. as for garage use. I have seen screens for garage doors for those that use that space to let a little air in yet still be closed in .

Posts: 3066 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
Great space, Erme! Big Grin I just love seeing where you like to work.
I thought you did live in Texas, but I must be mistaken, or your space has to be air conditioned!

~karen Wave

Posts: 3305 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
Love it, Erma! I know you'll enjoy it. Smile

Posts: 1441 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Enjoy! Chris

Posts: 6326 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaribbeanQuilter
posted Hide Post
What a GREAT space! I bet your board name suits you especially well now!

Posts: 623 | Registered: Jul 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice space...but I don't see near enough fabric in there Smile

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 10187 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcatmom:
Great space, Erme! Big Grin I just love seeing where you like to work.
I thought you did live in Texas, but I must be mistaken, or your space has to be air conditioned!

Karen if you look at the first picture you will see a dark spot on the ceiling. That is the central heat and air. Cool So I am all set for the hot summers and cold winters. Thank goodness the builders of this place were thinking some 50 years ago. If only they had put in some walk in closets. We did have a new garage door with insulation installed. After that and a new paint job. DH got in the spirit of things and decided I needed carpet. Which can be removed if we ever sell the house.

Erma

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Very nice! It's great to have an organized space.

Posts: 1157 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of native Texan
posted Hide Post
That's a great "room". Hey, space is space, right? last night I watched t.v. and House Hunters were looking at a garage area. It had crown molding and popcorn ceiling! I think someone used it as a "room" once too.
I wish i were as organized as you are.

CC

Posts: 4705 | Location: 1,000 miles from home | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
You are ORGANIZED! Congratulations. That's great. Is there a cutting table there? I mighta missed it. OH yes. I see it with the Ott light.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Auntie Reba,

Posts: 9631 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
I love your space! Lots of room to do whatever you decide to do. I have a space like that, only our SUV and truck are in the way.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewnso
posted Hide Post
Looks like you got things very organized and a great woman's cave. Love it.

If life hands you scraps make quilts

Posts: 3082 | Location: Southern BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Oh sweet! I'd love to do that but I'd have to find alternate homes for the tools, the lawnmower, the bikes, the birdseed, the paint cans, etc. etc. etc. Emphasis on etc.!!

Our garage was also "finished" when we bought the house - ceiling & walls drywalled, heat & a/c ducts, and even vinyl flooring. I don't think a car was ever parked in there. The former owner was a minister with 4 kids, so we think he used it as his office.

And yes -- want me to come show you how to squeeze about 5000 pieces of fabric into less space than that??? Razz Big Grin

Posts: 6144 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
Congrats! What a terrific little corner of the world. Smile Enjoy it.

Posts: 3672 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Very inviting!! Enjoy your new space.

Posts: 6697 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigsky
posted Hide Post
WOW how neat is that I am envious so you are
one lucky quilter. ENJOY
eunice

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Mt USA | Registered: Jun 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
It's nice to have your own space. Looks great!

Posts: 2915 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Such a great sewing room. Can be really creative in there. My garage is too full of other stuff to do that.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a get-Away!

Posts: 2228 | Registered: Apr 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
Starry and Elaine, Our garage was a hoarders paradise before the clean up. DH had a tool shed in the back yard that housed old or broken tools. It now has the good tools. He cleaned out his small workshop in the backyard got industrial shelves for it and moved all the car tools in there. We still have a lot of house type tools in the garage, I mean sewing room, but I covered the area with a curtain. My first project is to make a new curtain from a sewing themed fabric.
Elaine,I bet my DH never says when all heck freezes over again. Big Grin
Thanks to all for the wonderful comments. Group Hug I thought as we were putting up shelves it would look like a warehouse but things do organize well that way. I found so much stuff that I had forgotten about, too. Like 7 seam rippers and about 30 little cases of assorted machine needles unopened and the hand needles to numerous to count. Best of all I found all my yoyo makers. Oh and the fabric i had forgotten about. I still have more fabric at a rental storage but I hope to whittle down some of this stuff before I go get those boxes. Cool

Erma

posted Hide Post
Wow, what am amazing, beautiful space! I just love the way you have the beads and everything together and so organized. I would have never guessed that was a garage if you had not said so. And I really love all of the personal touches that you added with items that had been in your family for many years. And hearing how much work you did to make it Into sewing room gives me hope that one day I will get it together and have a little craft area in my bedroom. Thank you so much for sharing it!

Nicole R.

Posts: 272 | Registered: Jan 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gemsq
posted Hide Post
Wonderful organized space and a lot of work to get it so nice. I especially like how it attaches to the main part of the home, and has comfort built in. Enjoy.

Posts: 757 | Location: illinois | Registered: Sep 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
Really, really nice space!!!! Makes it easy to create wonderful quilts with that kind of wonderful space and things looking so well organized!!!

Posts: 5149 | Location: central ohio | Registered: Apr 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L.L.
posted Hide Post
Really makes me want to go clean up (out!! Roll Eyes ) my sewing room!! Wink

Love this idea - but at -40* would not work for me in the winter!!! Big Grin Although, my idea of having the roof lifted and my room being put up on top of the garage, would!!!! And I have thought of this many, many times!!! Smile But, saying that, I also do not have the collection of 'stuff' you do, so I should be able to use my 'space' better and make it work for me...... Yup, got to get sewing and make my room my own!!

Thanks for showing us all what is possible when you see a new area in a different light!! LOVE your new room - now to make that machine sing and have you two create beautiful quilts/projects together!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 2418 | Location: Alberta, Canada!!  | Registered: Mar 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post