Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  does anyone know were I can find a big table?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

does anyone know were I can find a big table? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Musiclady
posted
Hi Everyone,
I just finished a quilt I had been put away for awhile and realized this was only the second bed size quilt I had ever made. All my other projects had been wall hangings.

I realized to my dismay that my cutting table, sewing table and ironing board are too small to accomodate a bed size quilt. I would love to find a bigger table etc.

Does anyone know where I can find these things? I was thinking of getting a large piece of wood to place on top of my current cutting table. I have been looking online but haven't been able to find anything.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Musiclady

Posts: 1113 | Registered: Aug 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of islandtime
posted Hide Post
How big is your current cutting table?

I recently purchased the Sullivan hobby table (36"x59.5") and have found it quite useful for large quilts.
Other than that, building your own with plywood might be your only option.

Elle~~

Posts: 813 | Location: Norfolk, VA & FL Keys | Registered: Feb 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Target usually has folding plastic-top banquet tables in 4' and 6' lengths. Price I've seen (pre-Thanksgiving ads) is in the mid to upper $30's. The tables fold away as skinny as possible and have a handle. I've borrowed one from a neighbor and was impressed with how well it worked out. I would imagine that Wal-Mart might have a similar offering.

Do you have access to a church or civic group that might have folding tables you can use or borrow?

For yard sale tables, I've had DH set up his saw horses & drag out whatever large piece of plywood or lengths of wood he might have on hand between projects.

Posts: 5438 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
My post disappeared, so I'm trying again. Another option would be your LQS classroom. 2 long tables put together are helpful. If you need 3 put together, you'll have trouble reaching the middle one. Or a conference room at work.

A longarm quilter can baste your quilt for you on his/her frame for a small fee.

When I'm adding borders to a large quilt, I put all the dining room leaves in the table and have a 4 by 8-ish surface. It helps to pin the borders when everything is spread out and smooth.

Good luck!

Posts: 3530 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I went to our local senior citizens center & borrowed some of their very large folding tables that they use for different activities at the center. She let me come in after hours & she stayed about 2 hours after all the seniors have left & I got to use her big room & tables. She didn't charge me a single penny for their use. You might also try a library or even a church with tables that they may use for Sunday School classes or covered dish dinners.

Nicki

Posts: 7930 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
DH made me a "big board" like top to put on my regular ironing board. It is handy as I can now iron lengths of fabric. I have seen hollow core doors used as tables with legs put on them. I'm not sure of cost but the legs just scr ew in so it could be stored under a bed.

piney

Posts: 3110 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
I don't know if DIY appeals to you or not, but this YouTube video is one of my favorites.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM

There are lots of other videos there if you just put "cheap quilting table" in the search box.

Another hint is if you put your table in a corner, the walls keep the quilt from sliding off the table. You can 'fluff & stuff' a pretty large quilt on a table that isn't huge.

~karen Wave

Posts: 3147 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I found a wooden dining table (with 4 chairs) on Craig's list for $75. Gave the chairs to my friend. Had another friend make the cutout for my machine to fit down into the table so that I have a large flat sewing surface. It sure helps. I'd still like something to flip up on my left side to help support the weight of the quilt, but I get by.

I've made several twin sized quilts on it. I've made tops for queen plus and a king size. The secret with those is to put them together in sections so that you're handling the whole bulk as little as possible.

One of these days I'll get the larger top made for my ironing board.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6229 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I bought 6' banquet tables from Lowes when they were on sale. Then I got PVC pipes cut to put on the bottom of the legs. Raised them higher and no back aches now. In the past I used tables at my school and at the LQS. This is so much nicer. I love having three to set together.

Posts: 7025 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
I just reread your initial post. How large are your cutting, sewing and ironing areas? I made a ironing surface out of MDF, double layer of batting, canvas and a staple gun. Originally, it was 5.5 ft long by 2 ft. I thought I'd love it super long b/c I could press quilt backs. Even though I'm pretty strong, I began to realize I'd avoid lifting the ironing surface b/c it was so heavy. So I cut it down to 4 ft by 2 ft and left the remnant at 18 in by 2 ft. The remnant is perfect for pressing when I'm piecing and the larger piece is still good for yardage. If you have a permanent place to set up your pressing, it wouldn't matter if it's heavy. But for me, I need to move mine around.

Old sewing cabinets flip open with lots of space to the left of the machine. I've seen them on Craigs List and thrift stores. I keep a folding table (2 by 4 ft) to the left of my vintage cabinet to form an L shaped workspace.

Posts: 3530 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Musiclady
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for you responses - I really appreciate you all getting back to me.
My cutting table is about 60" by 36".

My sewing table is an old dining room table - not sure of the size, but not too big. I would love to have the cut out area where the sewing maching could fit into so I could have a flat sewing surface, but those tables are really expensive.
Seeing Stars - you mentioned making an ironing surface out of MDF. What is MDF? My sewing room is a spare bedroom - maybe about 12'by 16' - not sure exactly.
Thanks again for all you responses. I am going to look into all of them.

regular dining room table - not too big.

Picture of Musiclady
posted Hide Post
oops - ignore the extraneous words at the end of my last post!!

Picture of quiltbea
posted Hide Post
I bought 3 folding banquet tables some years ago from Staples Office Products on sale. They had free delivery since the order was over $75. I paid $30 something for each one on sale. They can be put up for layering and pinning to prep a quilt anytime. You can put them up in your garage for a day.
I keep 2 up at all times in my basement for pinning, and one up in my sewing room as a cutting table.
I put bricks under the feet to raise them to a comfy level for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: quiltbea,

Posts: 13275 | Location: Southwestern Maine Zone 5 U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two of the Joanns cutting tables,bought for 50% off with coupons,approx. $60.00 each.I use those tables when I am doing anything bigger than a twin. I use clamps to clamp them together.I do use clamps and binder clips to to clamp all my quilt layers together,pin what I can then move the quilt sandwich to pin the rest of the quilt.It works great.I slid my cutting mat's underneath when I need to trim the sandwich for binding and squaring up. The beauty of these tables are they are on wheels for moving and when folded down they take up 19-1/8''W X 36''D X 35''H.
Here is a picture link.

http://www.joann.com/home-hobby-table/xprd830869/

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9916 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Sue and I use DH sawhorses and a large piece of plywood set up in the garage for when we need to have a bigger table. I also have bought a large banquet sized table from Sams club a couple of years ago and can't believe how often it has come in handy.

Posts: 7836 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
MDF = medium density fiberboard
It's very smooth with precise edges and no knots like wood. However, since it's made with so much glue, it's very dense.

Picture of Kim - Strut526
posted Hide Post
I go to my local community center.we do,every wednesday with a bunch of quilters..the tables are awesome to use!

Also, think of "Freecycle.org" dang near every city has one, or close by. all on line posting. I moderated a local recycle board, just about everything you could think of is posted!

Posts: 11810 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I have a large (seats 10-12) dining table. Sometimes an edge of the quilt will hang over, but I just make do.

If I wanted to spread it all out flat, in my area I would have several options:
church
school cafeteria after lunch cleanup
local community center
fire department has tables for their steak dinners

Posts: 16537 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post