Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Pre-cutting an FQ
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-cutting an FQ Sign In/Join 
Picture of paus4quilts
posted
Serendipity at work???

Several years ago, I purchased a book, "Fast Quilts from Fat Quarters". In there was a diagram of a way to pre-cut an FQ for later use; part of a stash storage plan. I've looked for it many times but definitely put it somewhere where I wouldn't lose it.

Moving forward, I've been organizing my scrap stash and trying to figure out what were the best cuts to make and keep. Well, I have lots of usable cuts and I'm overwhelmed. Enter Bonnie Hunter and there is hope for corralling my stash but her method looks very similar to mine. Enter Anne Wiens, "The Thrifty Quilter", finally the light comes on.

And I found the book while cleaning out my magazines. Right where I should have looked. *sigh*

Using the methods of all three ladies, I have come up with a way to cut my scrap stash and reduce the number of FQs in my fabric baskets. The scraps will be cut into 2 1/2", 3 1/2", 5", 6 1/2" and 7" squares. There will be rectangles of 4 1/2", 5, 6 1/2" and 7". Triangles will be cut to the size of the squares (or add 7/8" to the desired square size).

Here's how I drew the cutting of a FQ for the 2 1/2" sizes.

Posts: 6029 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Next the 3 1/2 sizes.

Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
If I'm not sure about the sizes I'll be using, the FQ can be cut with mixed sizes.

Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
If I want to cut more quickly, I can fold the FQ and make my cuts. This is for the 2 1/2" sizes.

Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Of course there are many variables using these methods. Perhaps I don't want a cut with the 7/8 measurement for a triangle. Maybe I just need a 5 or 5 1/2" square, I'll have to adjust my cutting diagram.

Maybe my fabric will be 22" instead of 20". I'll wind up with some strings then.

It's a place to start, again, and maybe get going on some actual sewing projects.

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...You are remarkable ... thanks for the guidelines. The only thing Id do different - and ti's because I'm a klutz, is make those pieces on the top template the full " and not the 7/8" part. Most FQS are usually closer to 22" so I'd take advantage of that. Love the helps .. thank you ..

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9117 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
What a great idea!! When I first started quilting I'd buy fat quarters but soon learned to get yardage. But, there's a good number of fat quarters hanging around. Now, something to make them readily usable.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6606 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I hope these ideas will help someone else.

Under my re-organizing I found there were a lot of FQs and many 1/4 yd pieces, they were taking up a lot of space and card stock making those mini bolts. There had to be another answer, nice as all those mini bolts looked stacked in my baskets and on my shelves.

Using this system, the other day I whipped through about 5 pounds of fabric very quickly. It's all cut and stored, ready for use. And I feel I'm ahead of the game for a change.

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Way too complicated for me! Will just cut what I need when I need it... Chris

Posts: 6116 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post