Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Pirate Grandparents
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pirate Grandparents Sign In/Join 
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted
The theme for DGDs third birthday was pirate and her favorite color (of the day) was yellow. Costumes were encouraged. DH surprised me by asking if I'd make him a big shirt (yes - out of an old bed sheet). I dug around in the dark recesses of my closet and put together an outfit for me...bought a corset (was so glad when that thing came off!)...and away we went.

DH was fully dressed...earring and all...stopped at a station to fuel up the pickup. Don't you wish you'd been in the vehicle that pulled up behind us?! Sam said that the man looked at him, then ducked his head.

So, here's Sam shirt complete with lace at the cuffs!

(Be sure to look at our weapons...and yes, I had a pocket full of "ammo.")

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17383 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
You make a great set of pirates. Congrats. Hope the GD enjoyed the party.

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2279 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
ahhhh, very nice! You are adorable pirate grandparents!

Posts: 794 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of suewho
posted Hide Post
Aargh! To err is human, but to aargh is pirate. Great pic!

Posts: 115 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a cool idea. Nice to put pics with names here. tfs

Carlene

Posts: 1814 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Too cool! from police detective to pirate - you sure live an exciting life!

Posts: 5799 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL I met someone at the door with a loaded and c0cked weapon Big Grin and said, "Arggghhh! And what be the colors ye are a-flyin'?" He answered "Yellow."

Drats...couldn't shoot him. Frown

Posts: 17383 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Great pirates!!! You pulled that together so quickly besides. Hats off to you matey, arghhhh

Posts: 6695 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She was so sweet opening her presents. She got to pick each package in order of her preference. She oohed and ahhed each one. Took a minute or two to examine them, then her DM asked, Which one do you want to open next? She immediately popped up and DM grabbed the opened gift and passed it over to be placed on the table with the packaging tossed in the corner.

She did this with just about every gift she got and sometimes would run off to thank the person if they weren't in the room with us.

After thinking about what to get her, I finally had a brain storm and asked DH if he had time to make a jewelry box size treasure chest. Nope. Frown I found several sizes of unfinished chests at Hobby Lobby...bought one of the Made in China things Frown for DH to stain. Then I bought trinkets only a little girl would like and we filled it to the brim. She did - like it that is. She dug her fingers in, sorted through, hung a couple of bracelets on her arm and beads around her neck. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
How fun? Aren't we lucky to have sewing skills to make costumes? My parents dressed us all up as pirates for my 5th grade school's Halloween carnival. Such wonderful memories of Dad sword fighting with Mom.

When my youngest grandson turned six he wanted a clown party. My son phoned asking me to make the family costumes. He's 6'4" and DIL is 5'1" and the kids were short.i. Had him mail me measurements since they were based overseas. So happy they got there on time and fit. I was the best Grandma! LOL

Posts: 7571 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have got to be the most-est fun-est GP's ever. I delight in hearing about the kids and your antic's.Never a dull moment.You make great Pirate's and G-Parents.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 10187 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the last three days, I've broken two fingernails and have had two to split. So yesterday I cut them - the rest of the anyway - off. I was complaining to DH. He said "That sea water is rough on hands and nails."

It took me a moment to "catch" what he was saying. Then I ROFLMBO

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Well don't y'all just beat all! You make great pirates. I would gladly welcome you aboard my square rigger if you ever decided to try to plunder my ship's gold! hehehehe

Nicki

Posts: 8509 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
What a sweet little girl to thank everyone. That isn't very common but is just wonderful. You are super grandparents.

Posts: 1144 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Heartmania
posted Hide Post
What great grandparents and pirates. I loved the idea of the chest trinkets. You are so clever.

Posts: 499 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How great that you were able to dress up in her theme and to come up with the chest gift idea. It's great to be a grandparent.

Posts: 179 | Location: Lombard, IL USA | Registered: Sep 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of britgal
posted Hide Post
What a lucky grand daughter! Just think of the memories you're making for her!

my etsy shop
cutiegirlie.etsy.com

Posts: 2147 | Registered: Jan 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Looked great. Is the pirate invasion tomorrow here in Tamps. Happens every year at this time, Jose Gaspar's crewe... Chris

Posts: 6312 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
What a great story...and super photo. Way to go!

Posts: 4644 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
Sherry Wonderful Picture !!
thanks for sharing your story Smile

Posts: 4351 | Location: N.Y., USA | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post