Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Quilts of Valor quilts - PLEASE DON"T FORGET TO BRING THEM!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quilts of Valor quilts - PLEASE DON"T FORGET TO BRING THEM!!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Gonesewin
posted
I would like to begin sign ups for making quilts for the Quilts of Valor project - here's a link if you want to explore it: http://www.qovf.org/index.html.

The mission of the Quilts of Valor Foundation is to cover ALL combat service members and veterans touched by war with comforting and healing Quilts of Valor. This foundation is not about politics; it's about people.

I would like to collect these quilts and give them to the foundation during the COF 2013 Retreat - but you do NOT have to be attending the retreat to contribute!

There are several ways you can help out:

1. Make a top, layer it and quilt it.
2. Make a top, donate batting and backing and send it to a quilter.
3. Be a quilter for donated tops.
4. Donate money to cover the shipping of quilts - or to the organization.
5. Join us on Thursday at retreat and make presentation cases.
6. Donate red, white, blue or patriotic fabrics.

This is a not-for-profit organization so any donations of money or goods are tax deductible.

Go to the website: http://www.qovf.org/content/ba...ov-requirements.html to get the guidelines for making the quilts. There are some restrictions as to size, color and quality so please follow them.

If you are coming to retreat you may bring it with you. If you are not, you may send donations to me or any of the other committee members. You will be paired up with a quilter if you chose to make only a top (or tops).

Please PM me to let me know that you will:

Make a complete quilt - you CAN make more than 1!
Make a top only - you CAN make more than 1!
Quilt the top - you CAN quilt more than 1!
Donate fabric
Donate money

If you are not going to retreat -- All donations MUST be to me NO LATER THAN May 15, 2013 If you have any questions, just ask!

At the bottom of the requirements you will see the part about cases -- that is something we will be doing as a Thursday pre-retreat project. If you want to make a case to co-ordinate with your quilt then, by all means, Please do! But you do not have to...

I plan to be a quilter so the sooner I get any, the better Big Grin

Participants:
Gonesewin
Jane_kiwi
mcpatches
AngelaC
owie
Terrimae
Charmingsister
pvilleou T, B, B & B
Aliquilt
Quiltaholic
Mtn Laurel
royalboomer $
lakequilter F
jayardi
~~Tx~~ Wildflower
Susan-TN
KC1930
DJBrown
quiltedmagnolia
shequilts
chlynn1129
KaribbeanQuilter F
Quiltslots
Elainetoo
alexemmarose
missmommy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gonesewin,

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4904 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to volunteer to get some fabric for the pillowcases, and help put them together at the pre-retreat project.

I can also make 6 blocks by then to help out. Can you pair me up with someone for that, or is that too few to be helpful?

Jane_Kiwi
CoF QovF FuN!

Posts: 1790 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
I will bring a completed quilt and maybe a case (if I have enough fabric left). Does this mean I have a reserved spot at the retreat now? LOL

Posts: 5662 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I'd love to help with this project, but not sure exactly what to committ to till after I finish my Scraps to Treasures. Most likely will be a top or 2 though.

Posts: 4570 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I will donate at least one quilt. I am short on patriotic fabric but am sure I can buy more before the retreat and possibly bring more than one quilt but for now put me down for one quilt.

Posts: 15197 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charmingsister
posted Hide Post
I'd be happy to help too. Should be able to do a completed quilt and presentation case. I hope to be able to deliver mine and see all the others in PA.

Posts: 2564 | Location: now in the sunshine | Registered: Oct 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
There is a local longarm quilter who quilts tops for QOV. She has done several that I have pieced and if she continues I will have her do more. She sends the completed quilts to wherever QOV has the greatest need at the time. If she stops (which is a possibility because of health problems) I will tie the tops I piece, I will try to send at least one completed quilt.

The last one I did, which I tied, was earmarked for QOV. But the son of a friend just returned from Afgh anistan and I decided it would be a great "welcome home and thank you for your service" gift.

Posts: 6470 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Mary Lou, I was just looking at the QOV requirements in the link that Gonesewin included. It says to NOT tie them. They want them quilted.

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Lori, am I correct in assuming that this donation will be instead of the Ronald McDonald House donation this time around?

posted Hide Post
I'll donate at least one quilt and some pillow cases. I just completed a red/white/blue swap and had planned on at least one top for QOV from the blocks. What a good/generous idea!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
AngelaC - you are correct, this is instead of the RMH for the retreat.

you are also correct in that QOV asks the quilts NOT to be tied. But like many charities, they accept most anything.

pvilleou - if you want, send me the quilt and I will quilt it on MY longarm. Then I'll just take it with me to Harrisburg and give it to QOV there.

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

Posts: 4904 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Lori.. I already have a retreat planned with some other ladies on the 2013 COF weekend so I won't be able to make PA but you can put me down for a quilt. I will get it to you before the retreat next year..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quiltaholic,

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25637 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
Lori, you can put me down for two but I will try to get some more done. This is for a great cause.

Carolyn

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2297 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Angela, thanks for pointing out that they don't want them tied.

Gonesewin, a special thanks to you for offering to quilt mine. I'll be in touch about that later.

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I sent you a PM - I'll also check my stash and see what I have in RWB fabrics that can be sent.

Posts: 6441 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
Lori - When I finish moving in from camp and come up for air and can find everything I will search for fabric and would love to help make presentation cases. How's that for a run on sentence?

Posts: 704 | Location: upstate New York | Registered: Jun 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
You gals are all so GREAT!! and KIND hearted! and WONDERFUL! and.......

Thanks so much Big Grin

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Pvillelou -
I will be happy to quilt your top for this challenge! I'm not so hot on free motion, but can do an edge to edge pantograph like crazy! Just PM me and let me know!

Mary Ann

Posts: 5662 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
• • • You can count on me for at least one quilt.

I only have one question. Do they have to be red, white and blue? The website indicates other colors are acceptable. Will you accept different colors for this drive?

Life without quilting is not an option! • • • • • MY Photos • • • • • • ENJOY!

Have you met my Circle of Friends? • • • • • • • PJ Party Tutorials

• • • Please! Support OUR Troops: Gratitude Campaign • • •

Posts: 9611 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Jean (and everyone else) I will absoulutely accept anything QOV accepts! Here is what I copied from their website:

The most popular colors are Red, White and Blue. Patriotic themes are loved and most often requested. Although 10% of our military are women, when given a choice, most of them choose patriotic colors or designs as well. BUT...be advised that not all recipients want Red, White, Blue, patriotic.

What NONE of the recipients want are fabrics which are inappropriate...such as juvenile fabrics intended for children. What will happen if you choose to go this way is that your quilt may sit on a shelf gathering dust.

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pvillelou -
I will be happy to quilt your top for this challenge! I'm not so hot on free motion, but can do an edge to edge pantograph like crazy! Just PM me and let me know!

Wow, another offer! Thanks! I'll try to piece two tops so I can take advantage of both offers. I certainly have enough red/white/blue fabrics on hand to make two. I'm in the middle of a project with my guild of making kids quilts but as soon as we finish them, I'll start on this.

Picture of ~~Tx~~  Wildflower
posted Hide Post
Lori, I would love to help out with this project. I have lots and lots of patriotic fabric. I know I will make blocks for sure. Maybe even a quilt top or two. Who knows might end up being a whole quilt/s. Just depends because I am not a seasoned quilter. Can I let you know as I go along?

I used to make a lot of blocks for QWL and some tops. Also made tops out of donated blocks from other QWL contributors. Carol (needlecrazy quilted donated block tops and made several QWL quilts from scratch too). That's the reason I have so many patriotic prints on hand.

Susan

Posts: 17159 | Location: Zone 9a | Registered: Sep 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
• • • Thanks Lori, I was just double checking. I have plenty of reds and white, but my blue stash is almost non-existent. Personally, I think they would have a hard time keeping the white clean while serving their tour.

Life without quilting is not an option! • • • • • MY Photos • • • • • • ENJOY!

Have you met my Circle of Friends? • • • • • • • PJ Party Tutorials

• • • Please! Support OUR Troops: Gratitude Campaign • • •

Posts: 9611 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
I'm honored to give back to those who do so much for our freedom! Sign me up for a quilt.

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

For donated quilts for the kids, check out the photos at
http://kc1930.blogspot.com/201...-pictures-below.html

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Susan-TN
posted Hide Post
I've got a number of red, white, & blue pillowcases all cut out & just waiting to be put together. I'd love to donate them to be used for presentation cases.

Susan

Posts: 633 | Location: East TN | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
thanks ladies Big Grin

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
ttt

Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Frown I don't see my name on the list!

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
I will put together a top, and donate $ for batting and backing. I'm sure I will never get it hand quilted in time with the other three that are in line ahead of this one.

Posts: 975 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
ttt

Picture of quiltedmagnolia
posted Hide Post
I will make a quilt top. I'm not sure about quilting it, but will decide later. If I do quilt it, it would not be fancy quilting, just "in the ditch", or diagonals Smile I don't trust myselof to try anything else!

Pat

Posts: 429 | Location: Paradise | Registered: Apr 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think they would have a hard time keeping the white clean while serving their tour.

I'm sure you are right. The "white" I used in my latest top is actually a white background with lots of small red and blue stars in it. I often use cream or tan for the background. It still results in a patriotic look.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pvillelou:
quote:
I think they would have a hard time keeping the white clean while serving their tour.

I'm sure you are right. The "white" I used in my latest top is actually a white background with lots of small red and blue stars in it. I often use cream or tan for the background. It still results in a patriotic look.

Thanks for the hint Smile I bought my fabric today, looking forward to getting started on Tuesday.

Check out the following link for QoV mystery quilts!
http://www.persimmonquilts.com/QOVMysteryHomePg.html

Jane_Kiwi
CoF CovF JunE 2013!

Posts: 1790 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Pat - in the ditch is just FINE, so is a grid or practice your FMQ or did you take the quilt as you go class? that might be a good one to do here...Just be sure it's good and quilted and won't be baggy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gonesewin,

Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
Hey Lori,
Mom calling!!!!! You can put me down to make a Quilt of Valor. I will bring it to the retreat unless you say different. You are doing a fantastic job. Take some time for yourself to my dear.

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 704 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That list is getting longer Big Grin

Jane_Kiwi

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
I will do a top. I am on the waiting list for the retreat, but if I don't get in, I will get it to you. Not sure about the quilting yet, but if I don't do it, I will get the batting, backing and binding.

Posts: 1992 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
great! thanks mom and chlynn1129 Smile

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
janet - why would you ask on this thread if Jane got your PM?

Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
...because it was a direct reply to her request above for someone to help out with the 6 blocks that offered to make....but since it seems to be an issue I've deleted it. Sorry

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Missmommy,

Posts: 3281 | Location: NY | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
ohhhhhh, no issue, just didn't understand. Sorry for butting in...

Picture of quiltslots
posted Hide Post
I will make a quilt. I will also quilt a few tops if they can be to me by 2/1/2013. Jackie

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
I'll make one quilt and bring to the retreat.

Posts: 7979 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
thanks Smile I'll put you down for that.

Picture of KaribbeanQuilter
posted Hide Post
Just heard from SheQuilts that she received the r/w/b "nickels" I sent her. Thank you, Sheila, for turning them into something wonderful, for a great cause!

Posts: 498 | Registered: Jul 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Do we have any volunteer LA quilters here on the East coast?

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
me Wave

Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Oh sure, of course, YOU! Smile Anyone in Maine, MA or NH?

Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
Thank you Karibbean Quilter. I just looked through all of them. They will be perfect. I'm looking forward to getting started. Right now I'm trying to figure out a pattern or design that I want to make. I'll send you pictures of my progress.
Thanks again,
Sheila

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 704 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of asimplelife
posted Hide Post
Gonesewin - just sent you a PM with some pics of a patriotic quilt top I have in my UFO collection that was hanging under another top in my closet.

Edited to a add a pic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: asimplelife,

Posts: 1141 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: Apr 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post