Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Quilts of Valor quilts - PLEASE DON"T FORGET TO BRING THEM!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quilts of Valor quilts - PLEASE DON"T FORGET TO BRING THEM!!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Wow! Have to show this - picked up my quilt from the LA'er yesterday. She did a marvelous job - love the panto she picked out!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

Posts: 7981 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
oooooooooo, I love that panto, too! And the quilt isn't so bad either! In fact, its pretty neat. Well done Elaine!

Posts: 5666 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Worked all weekend on my QOV and happy to say I am close to finishing! Happy to make these for such a worthy cause...hardly seems enough thanks...but would love it if they were not needed any longer...no more wounded...

McP...will PM for particulars on sending my quilt top to you. Thank you!

Posts: 3405 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of michelle1538
posted Hide Post
TTT FOR ANOTHER LOOK LATER TODAY.

Posts: 1728 | Location: livin in the mitten | Registered: Mar 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Nice quilts. I have my top finished and Needlecrazy is going to quilt it for me.

Here is the top. It is 62 x 84 I believe.

Posts: 1994 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
I did not get the corners in the first picture. I did do Friendship stars in the corners.

Posts: 1994 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Such nice quilts!

The threads finally got here so now I will be able to quilt pvillelou's and show it to you all.

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4907 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
You guys are so awesome!!!! What pretty quilts.Just watched Fons and Porter program on these quilts yesterday,they had a neat pattern too.Can't committ right now but hope to have some thing to send by retreat!!!!! You guys are rocking!!!

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8875 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Cheryl, that is one nice quilt! Making a sampler with pieced sashings is so much work but it turned out beautifully!

Posts: 5666 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WooHoo! Here is my pieced QOV top. The center medallion is the September 2012 BOM. It did not fit with my other blocks for the year so I based my QOV around it. The rest of the quilt is scrappy log cabins.

Sweet McP is going to quilt it for me!

Posts: 3405 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Pvilleou - I have finally gotten your quilt on my frame and I just gotta tell everyone What a joy it is to quilt one of your tops! It is squared, you sent backing larger than the top, and it's pretty too! Thank you Smile

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

Posts: 4907 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Gonesewin, gee thanks for those very kind words about my work. Also, thanks a bunch for quilting my top. Piecing is my favorite part of quiltmaking so I really appreciate you quilting it. I have some quilting friends who are very, very particular about their work and it is beginning to rub off on me I think. Also, I hand quilt some of my tops so know by experience how important it is for the top to be squared up to make it easier to get in the frame.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pvillelou,

Posts: 6472 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got my top mailed off to McP for quilting. Thank you so much dear McP!

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Although I wasn't using strictly patriotic colors in my HGTV BOM, I decided to use them for QOV anyway. They already had some red and blue in them so I thought adding red borders would make it work just fine. Also, I only had 10 of the blocks done and was having trouble getting motivated to to the last two. So I used an idea that someone else said and decided to stop there, use what I had. I was using leftover units from previous quilts and still had some blocks and a few smaller units. Here's what I did with 6 of the BOM blocks.

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
And here's what I came up with for the last 4 plus some leftovers.

What I can't understand is - why do I still have as many leftover bits and pieces???

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
alexemmarose - beautiful!

pvillelou - that turned out great! Really loved the BOM last year.

Posts: 7981 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
It's beautiful! I just took your first one off the frame, if you want to send me that one I can quilt it Smile

posted Hide Post
Mary Lou, that is really a gorgeous quilt and will be lovely as a QOV. Good way to use up scraps.

Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
Elainetoo, your quilt is a great. The LAer did an nice job.
These QOVs are so nice. Mine top should be done by the end of the week and then off to the quilter.

Posts: 3283 | Location: NY | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just took your first one off the frame, if you want to send me that one I can quilt it Smile

Thanks for the offer but McPatches is going to quilt both of them for me. If by some chance I get another one done, I'll see if you have time to quilt it. I have lots of red/white/blue fabrics that I've collected for QOV quilts but don't know how soon I'll get one pieced.

Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I have eight 1 yard peices of fabric for the top. I had ordered nine peices and one was out of stock. I was going to do the disappearing 9 patch but that pattern is out. Can anyone suggest a pattern for eight 1 yard peices? Oh, I just forgot I do have some white downstairs I could use but go ahead and suggest something I can do with 8 peices. Something easy, please. I'll then decide what to use for the backing. Wa hoping Connecting Threads would place their solids on sale soon so I could get a solid navy blue peice to back it with.

Posts: 15205 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Mary Lou, your tops came out wonderful. I like the neutral colors with the red, whites and blues!

Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
Owie- how about Friendship star? That's what i'm doing in 12"blocks.
Who was it that offered labels for these? McPatches was it you?

Posts: 3283 | Location: NY | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Presentation / pillow case done.

Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
Very nice case. I'm using the same fabric in my QOV quilt.
Wondering who you used as your long arm quilter?

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Missmommy:
Very nice case. I'm using the same fabric in my QOV quilt.
Wondering who you used as your long arm quilter?

Estie's Quilting in Owego, NY.

Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Wow, there are going to be some beauties heading my way soon for quilting. I will get at least one done to take to Pennsylvania with me. More than that.........

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6528 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Pvillelou's QOV is in the washing machine. I will take and show pics when it is finished. McPatches - do you have a couple labels you could send me?

Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
I have my top finished and sandwiched together. I don't have a longarm so don't know how I'm going to quilt it. I know they don't like stitch in the ditch.Any ideas?

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 704 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gonesewin:
me Wave

Sending you a PM...

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

For donated quilts for the kids, check out the photos at
http://kc1930.blogspot.com/201...-pictures-below.html

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
This is a quilt pvillelou made that I quilted - isn't it pretty!?

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Oh Lori, Lori. Yes it is pretty, but the ones she sent me are AWESOME! Have one on the frame now, but will start looking at her's to see if it speaks to me about how to quilt it. Hope I can do them up right!

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I just did an allover star pattern - it seemed to fit! Doesn't she do marvelous work? I've never quilted such a nicely done top Smile

Labels???

Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Must we have it labeled before we bring it to the retreat? If so I will need to get a label.

Posts: 15205 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Yes, Please- if at all possible -label the quilts before you come to retreat. There's a good possibility of not having time to put it on there.

Here's the link to the QOV label page http://www.qovf.org/content/labels.html

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Aw, mcpatches and Gonesewin, you are making me blush with those nice words about my work.

Gonesewin, I think stars for the quilting pattern is an excellent choice. I can't really see the quilting in the picture but I'm sure it looks great. Thanks again for quilting this for me to donate.

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I tried to take a picture of the quilting but it blurred and looked like I double quilted everything so I didn't post it

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Second QoV project sent to and received by Quiltslots. Can't wait to see what she does with it. Will probably have presentation case done before it gets back to me for binding and labeling.

First one, completely done, washed and stored in it's presentation case. (Really glad I used a color catcher on that one - lot of red bleeding.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Almost finished quilting the top donated by Cincinnati Quilt Outreach to me for this project. Its mostly a string block alternating with a plain block. The string block is sewn on a heavy, tightly woven polished cotton (also in the border). My thread keeps breaking on the string blocks, which is why this one is taking some time. Stay tuned for pictures next week.

Anyone have any spare patriotic pillow cases to use with these quilts?

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
I am so easily distracted! I had a list of things I wanted to get done before going to my retreat tomorrow. One thing was to do some fabric organizing. While working on that, I found some blocks in Mom's stuff that I thought would be good for a QOV quilt. There was also some solid fabrics in the same box and here's what I came up with.

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Closeup of one corner.

PS. That is navy, not black.

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Very nice Mary Lou!

posted Hide Post
All the quilts so far are fabulous! McP, I'll get with you soon, I have a top almost finished for you to quilt, I have to finagle the borders as I ran out of a fabric, then piece the back. I'd be happy to make some pillow cases to go with them. I have a couple done already, just let me know how many you would like!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The quilts are all beautiful and I am sure they will all be appreciated by all who receive them. Keep up the good work. Sue

Posts: 1487 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Here's a quilt just off the frame. The top was given to me by a group I volunteer for, Cincinnati Quilt Outreach. They really don't have the need for very patriotic quilts. Its just quilted in a meandering, but I outlined the center and tried to outline quilt the eagles.

posted Hide Post
What a striking quilt! Nice quilting McP...

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful quilt. I never know what to do with panels.

posted Hide Post
Mcpatches- Love the way they put the quilt together and your quilting is great. Thanks for sharing. Sue

Posts: 1487 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
I will save that picture for inspiration for those panels I have packed away!

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

For donated quilts for the kids, check out the photos at
http://kc1930.blogspot.com/201...-pictures-below.html

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
ttt