Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Quilts of Valor quilts - PLEASE DON"T FORGET TO BRING THEM!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quilts of Valor quilts - PLEASE DON"T FORGET TO BRING THEM!!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
asimplelife, someone is going to LOVE that quilt!

Nicki

Posts: 7932 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
And she's sending it to me! I'm getting that beauty and I love it!

Now, how to quilt it, how to quilt it. Maybe if I stare at the computer long enough, it will speak to me. LOL!

Posts: 5670 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of asimplelife
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your compliments! Most of the fabrics came from swaps on this board a few years back.

Construction is simple: I used a 5" square in the middle and bordered it twice with 2.5" strips for half of the 12" finished blocks. I had the stars on tan fabric in my stash, so bordered that with more 2.5" strips for the alternating blocks.

I had totally forgotten about it... I hang my flimsies on hangers in the closet and it was hiding under another top.

I'm thrilled that McPatches is going to quilt it! If you could see my flimsy collection you would correctly guess that I love to piece. I've been working on doing simple machine quilting and finished two smaller UFOs this week. I'll get there!

Posts: 1141 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: Apr 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I won a prize from YLI in Branson last month and one of the colors I could choose was a verigated red, white & blue so I am waiting for that to come before I quilt yours Mary Lou.

I received some blue fabric with yellow stars from lakequilter if anyone needs it for their quilt!

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4913 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Lori, do you have one of the QOV labels or requirements for the label? If so, could you share? Want to make sure any of the quilts I long arm get the label on them!

Posts: 5670 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
McPatches - here's the link for labels, I have none.
www.qovf.org/content/labels.html

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

Posts: 4913 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Lori, add my name to the list...I will be making a finished quilt to bring to the retreat.

Posts: 3407 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of terrimae
posted Hide Post
Gonesewin...you're going to add me to the list when you have a chance, right??

Posts: 1823 | Location: East Coast | Registered: Dec 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
yes, ma'am! Like RIGHT NOW...

Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
Lori - If no one has a need for that blue fabric I sent, it might be good for the cases we make on the Thursday before... or I could make a few cases anytime. Whatever you would like. I just loved it because it was so soft as well as nice looking and blendable.

Char

Posts: 704 | Location: upstate New York | Registered: Jun 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
I'll have a top done by this weekend. Are there any long arm volunteers in the northeast - other then Lori?

If so, please PM me with what you require being sent and your address and date you would accept it. I have other questions also THANKS.

A feminine - 61 x 74 Arkansas Crossroads; crowded area to take a picture - but you get the idea.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

Posts: 7987 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Please hang onto it until the ne gets back to normal. I know ther are quilters but I don't have easy access to them to know if they are able to do any right now.

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Today was my volunteer day at Quilt Outreach. Now, they do quilts for homeless and abused women and children shelters. They do not do the local veteran's home so they don't have a big need for patriotic quilt tops. But someone donated one and they don't turn donations away. It came home with me today for this project!

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7987 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
yay!

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
How are we doing? I am still waiting on the thread I ordered...

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
I have 3 to quilt, but my Juki is in the hospital and expected to be cured and able to come home next week.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
I have one top done and delivered it yesterday to a local LAer that has volunteered to quilt it for free (HOW WONDERFUL).

Through Sunshine Quilters I'm the hostess for January and have asked for r/w/b blocks so I can make another top.

Picture of quiltslots
posted Hide Post
Elainetoo, if you send me a pm I would be happy to quilt a top for you for the project. Jackie

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quiltslots:
Elainetoo, if you send me a pm I would be happy to quilt a top for you for the project. Jackie

Thank you Jackie.

Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
I plan to make at least a top right after the holidays.

Posts: 3287 | Location: NY | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charmingsister
posted Hide Post
I have pulled fabrics from my stash. Needed one more which I was able to get yesterday at the LQS. Should be sewing soon.

Posts: 2569 | Location: now in the sunshine | Registered: Oct 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
For those who are quilting their own, or ones who are quilting for others, I have some (22) QOV labels for the back of the quilt. Just PM me with your address and what you need. I already have 3 quilts so there are 19 left. This is what they look like.

http://equilter.com/cgi-bin/we...8v1on-07111094747.39

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcpatches,

Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
I know I'm behind the thimes for signing up but can I still get in on this? I have at least 2 or 3 tops I could donate. Is anyone able to quilt them?

Posts: 483 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
PatriciaAnne -
I am able to quilt them, then take them to the retreat in June where Gonesewin will collect them all and send them in. PM me for my address when you have the top and backing ready!

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
McP - you are such a dear!

To All -- This is an ongoing project and you can join in any time...Thanks to all who are participating in this Big Grin

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcpatches:
For those who are quilting their own, or ones who are quilting for others, I have some (22) QOV labels for the back of the quilt. Just PM me with your address and what you need. I already have 3 quilts so there are 19 left. ....

How nice of you to do that. I could use 2 - have 2 different people quilting them for me. I'll send a PM. Thank you - I was going to print off a couple on Printed Treasures.

Picture of Charmingsister
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2569 | Location: now in the sunshine | Registered: Oct 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Got the PM's Elaine and Joan. Hopefully, if I can remember, I'll take them to the post office tomorrow.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Received the labels today. Thank you McPatches.

posted Hide Post
Wow, McP...what a nice offer to quilt these quilts! I would love to be able to send mine to you when it is ready if you still have time to do it. I have just pulled my fabbies and should be able to send it to you by early January.

Thanks again.

axel

Posts: 3407 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Certainly Axel! Getting it in January will still leave plenty of time till June!

Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
I'll join McPatches on the quilting boat. I can quilt a few after the New Year (three planned for holiday gifts will not leave me any time until then).

Please respond here or PM me for details.

Carol

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6532 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
Carol, I didn't start it yet, but could you quilt mine?

Posts: 3287 | Location: NY | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
I haven't started yet but as soon as I finish Chris shopping, decorating and getting ready for family to come in I will start. I do have my squares thanks to Karibbean Kari!!!

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 707 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Of course, Missmommy, I could quilt yours. You are the first one to ask me! I know you do beautiful work, so it would be a privilege to work on your top.

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6532 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Needlecrazy or Mcpatches,
Would either of you please add me to your list? Smile
MaryAnn is closer to me in location, but I will happily pay for all shipping costs. I see Mc is already quilting several.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chlynn1129,

Posts: 1994 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
I can take yours too, Cheryl, if Mary Ann is booked up.

Carol

Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Carol, and thanks for the compliment. I plan to get started on it soon.

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Thank you Carol! I do appreciate it. I can meander or stitch in the ditch...Smile I like piecing but not the actual quilting.

Posts: 1994 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
I am so thrilled we are doing this! I would like to make a quilt or two. I will check my fabrics and I might have some blocks already done.

I will send cases with mine also. I'll holler when completed and see who's available to LA.

Pam

Posts: 5700 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Well, here's the first QOV quilt quilted up, I guess - I'll keep posting as long as I have quilts I've finished. Should make some nice eye candy when we are done and finished!

Deb, asimplelife, made this top and sent it to me with the backing fabric. I used some of the excess backing fabric for the binding. Actually, this quilt is much, much prettier in real life when you can see all the different patriotic fabrics used.

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
I used a pantograph called "the Patriot" which was stars and little banner like things between the stars. This probably isn't the best section to show you - one of my little star points is off - but needed a dark background to show it off.

posted Hide Post
Very nice McP! What a generous thing you are doing with the quilting! I have now brought my sewing machine into my dining room for the winter...my QOV is top on my list. I have pulled all fabbies and will be working on it this week. Should be able to get it to you in a couple of weeks. Thank you soooo much!

Picture of asimplelife
posted Hide Post
mcpatches - the quilt looks great! I love the panto you used and can only dream of being able to quilt like that myself someday... thanks again!

Posts: 1141 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: Apr 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
asimplelife,
What a pretty collection of fabrics for your quilt top. Nice pattern for these busy prints. It shows them off well. This one is a winner. Smile

Posts: 3533 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
asimplelife - nice variety of fabrics; mcpatches - great panto - just perfect.

Will be interesting to see the final pile of quilts at the retreat.

posted Hide Post
WooHoo! Cutting fabbies today for my QOV.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Got a call today from the LA, she's finished the quilting, so I get to pick it up Friday. Can't wait to see it. So by the end of the month (hopefully sooner) I'll have the label and binding on.

Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
Just noticed my name is not on the list of participants?