Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  SunShine Quilters - July - August 2014
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SunShine Quilters - July - August 2014 Sign In/Join 
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Gonesewin, your strips arrived yesterday. Thanks, they will be just great! It may be a while before I use them since I already have six quilts planned using Sunshine strips.

Posts: 6613 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
EDITED: September blocks...blog and mailing list for hostesses Updated and mailed. If you don't receive the updated hostess list via email today or tomorrow (check your spam) let me know.

Karribbean Quilter has offered to put together the top for the September blocks and then send to Royalboomer for quilting and binding.

So we'll change the mailing destination for the blocks directly to her instead of Royal.. If You're way ahead of the game and have already sent to Royal.. that's OK. She'll gather them and send them on to Karribean.. in early October)

This is a great solution of friends helping friends. Thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

Posts: 8138 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Here's the August blocks posted so far. Let me know if I missed a block.

Posts: 8138 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I'm glad they made it Smile Keep 'em long enough and maybe they'll double as a stashbuster!

Got it Elainetoo! Mail to Karribean quilter not royalboomer

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5138 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
dtigger and fayejean.. I got undeliverable messages back on the hostess list sent.

If you got it, please let me know (I've gotten these undelivered messages erroneously before). If you didn't get it, please PM me with your email address so I can verify against what I have and try to resend. Thank You.

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Pretty block for August so far. I have mine made but can't send them out this week.

Elainetoo, I received the Hostess update in my email. Thanks! I love how friends help friends.

Nicki

Posts: 8334 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Mine is going out today!

Posts: 953 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
August done. Hopefully will be mailed within a couple days.

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Here are the blocks that I will be sending out for August. I love this block! Everyone was so generous when sending strips to me that I thought I should be generous too.

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Here are the last of my blocks for the year. Here is the December that Elainetoo posted... Chris

Posts: 6227 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Here is another month... Chris

Posts: 6227 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaribbeanQuilter
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Elaine Too, for getting out the email with my address. If anyone else needs my info, please PM me. Looking forward to seeing all these beautiful blocks made my such talented and thoughtful ladies!

Posts: 586 | Registered: Jul 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Let me add my thanks to Elainetoo as well in addition to my continued appreciation for KQ. This board has been such a blessing to me - I hope to pay it forward many times over as time goes on.

My son came and brought the Lil Gracie frame + all sorts of additional goodies and the Juki machine to a friend here - she agreed to do the quilting (after she found out she was getting the setup) and now has a pile of quilts that continues to grow for our service members. I am so pleased that the setup will finally be put to good use even if couldn't be me doing it.

Posts: 6653 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is top #1 of probably 4 from the Sunshine Quilters blocks. It will go to Project Linus when finished. Thanks to everyone who contribute to this quilt.

Karen

Posts: 675 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: Feb 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
That quilt is so pretty & going to be loved by a sweet, sweet child. Thank you for making these quilts for Project Linus.

Nicki

Posts: 8334 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Quilting is my therapy-love how this one turned out-the blocks go so well together.

Karen

Posts: 675 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: Feb 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great quilt, May Baby! Very nicely done!!

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
This morning, I put the binding on the 3rd Sunshine Quilt from the strips you have sent. Here's the first. The 3rd and 4th strips from the top should have been reversed but I don't think a little girl will care.

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Here is number 2. It will be great for boy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pvillelou,

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
It was amazing that the strips you sent could be sorted so easily. My first quilt has girly strips, the second one has boy stuff, and this one will be great for a younger child.

P.S. I have enough for 3 or 4 more!

posted Hide Post
Put a few December blocks in the mail today. Thanks so much for hosting!!

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Mary Lou those quilts are precious. You did a fantastic job & they will be loved by each child who gets one. Thanks for making these & showing us your labor of love.

Nicki

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I mailed these 2 blocks to Susan-TN today for August.

Posts: 4692 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
I finished quilt #4 this morning. I'm almost out of batting so it will be a while before I do the last 2 or 3.

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
You ladies have done great work! I have my tops done and got batting last weekend. I hope to have all the quilts from the June blocks done by the end of August. Right now I need to get to work on my August blocks so I can get them mailed off.

Posts: 2900 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Here are my three August blocks. I hope to get them mailed tomorrow; if not then Monday.

Posts: 2052 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Those are really fun quilts ladies! Mary Lou, did you say that your quilts are a quilt as you go type? How does that work?

Posts: 2052 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your nice words about my quilts. I can complete one, including binding, in an afternoon if I have everything cut.

The method I use is like a Project Linus pattern, google flannel strip quilt directions project Linus. I use cotton fabric and add strips of low loft cotton batting.

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I've got my August blocks made & will get them in the mail on Monday. I'll post a picture later. Chlynn1129, your blocks turned out really pretty.

Nicki

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
A couple more strips arrived here yesterday. Thanks to the person from Libertyville who sent them. The screen name was not on the envelope and a quick look at my address list did not solve the mystery of who sent them.

Oops! I have forgotten to mail the August blocks that I made - will do that this week.

posted Hide Post
Same Illinois person also sent a block for September. Thank you, Mystery Quilter!

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Hi ladies - I've been out camping and riding my horse, so no sewing here. So good to see that you've been busy getting blocks and quilts done. There's a lot of pictures to be prepared and uploaded to our site. Will certainly try to get busy on that.

The person from Libertyville is CQwannabe.

Thank you for the comments. I enjoy hosting this group as it is a small way to help with different charitable projects.

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Here are two August blocks that I will be sending to SusanTN tomorrow.

I'm so glad I'm a part of this group this year.

Nicki

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mary Lou, I will google it. I want to make some for the local NICU.

Maybaby, that quilt is just too cute! It turned out great.

posted Hide Post
I have not done my August blocks but it is on radar for this week.

Thanks Chylnn. The blocks seemed to work together well.

Karen

Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
Ugh, I thought I had included my screen name. I am the mystery person from Libertyville. I am a terrible "snail mailer", knew I was late sending July, cutting it close with Aug., but ahead for Sept.

Happy to hear all blocks arrived.

Thank you to the quilters that are finishing these beautiful charity quilts.

Jody - CQwannabe

Posts: 2728 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
CQ, no problem! I just wanted to be sure to thank whoever sent them. And I am still working on the strips so timing is OK. So, thank you!

I looked on a map to see if we are neighbors. Gee, you are almost in Wisconsin and I am only 100 miles from Ky so we are pretty far apart.

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Susan did you get my August block? I mailed it last week.

Posts: 953 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltnanny
posted Hide Post
have you received my blocks for August??

Posts: 4447 | Location: Fabricologist Resource Center, NH | Registered: Mar 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Karribean... so sorry I didn't post sooner. Your pretty Dec blocks came while I was away. Thank you.

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
working on my August block.

Posts: 4448 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I'm pulling colors for September. I can't believe this year is going by so fast.

Nicki

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
It's a rainy day here today so I decided to create my own sunshine by making blocks for Sunshine Quilters. I mailed blocks for August yesterday so was ready for Sept. I chose three combinations of light blue/dark blue along with some WOW to make three blocks. The first one gave me some problems, probably because I wasn't careful with seam allowances. It is so bad that I'm not sending it. But the other two turned out just fine.

P.S. It is my picture taking that is crooked, the blocks are perfectly square.

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
When I got those finished, it was too early to start fixing dinner. So I rummaged through my box of red/white/blue fabrics to choose some for the Oct blocks. Making quilts for veterans is one of my favorite ways to help others so I had stocked up when JoAnns had them on sale right after the 4th. An hour and 15 minutes later, I had ELEVEN of these done. Nine patches are so easy to strip piece!

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Way to go Mary Lou. Love the Sept blocks.

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Here's how I spent my Saturday morning. First I chose some kid prints and cut some strips. Next I made a variety of 3 1/2" units. Here is a sampling.

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Now the fun really began! I played around with the arrangements of the units to get these blocks that I will be sending for November.

Next week I hope to make some blocks for December. I recently found out that I will be getting a great grandchild in March so I need to get some commitments finished and be ready to start on a baby quilt as soon as I know whether to make it for a girl or a boy.

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Your quilts turned out great, pvillelou! Love the bright crayon and puzzle blocks too.

The rwb ribbons is one of my favorites.

Lots of neat blocks everyone... Chris

Picture of Fayejean
posted Hide Post
I will be working on my August and September blocks next week.

Posts: 521 | Location: MI | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
My September blocks are ready to be mailed this week...

Posts: 4692 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post