Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  SunShine Quilters - July - August 2014
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SunShine Quilters - July - August 2014 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Elainetoo
posted
Susan-TN is our Aug Hostess..

pvillelou is our July Hostess.. still time to get some strips to her.

Aug - 12" finished - Jacobs Ladder ( http://www.quilterscache.com/J/JacobsLadderBlock.html ) . Scrappy
I would appreciate it if one of the colors were kept light- like white or cream! As for the other color- I've always loved anything scrappy, so dig into your scrap bins & have some fun! But if you want to only use 2 colors in the block, please feel free to do so!
(When I make my blocks, I'm going to go with both royal & navy blue fabrics- blue was my mother's favorite color.)

July - Send two strips (6 1/2 x WOF) of the same kid-friendly fabric. The strips for July can be either the same or different. Like to make the quilts symmetrical so two alike works great. However, I also make some that have all the strips different. They do not have to be prints; like to use at least a few tone on tone or small geometric or flowered designs between prints. I do quilt-as-you-go kids donation quilts.

Welcome to the Sunshine Quilters - our information Blog is listed at the bottom of this note. Our mission is to bring SunShine into the life of our receivers.

Anyone on the forum can make blocks for a monthly hostess and can 'join' the list of block makers at any time, just send me a PM to sign-up and get the paperwork.

Each member is asked to make one or more blocks for the assigned hostess each month. The hostess then assembles and donates quilts to the charity of their choice. Maybe you can't make a block(s), but have some supplies or fabric the hostess can use. Contact the hostess here on this thread, or in a PM to see if she can put your items to good use for her charity quilt(s).

Having trouble finding time to sew a block.? Remember those leaders and enders .. that's how I've started mine for the year.

Blocks are to be sent to the hostess around the 1st of their month. If late, please post here with your intentions to send later. If you can't make a block that month, that's ok, sometimes life is too busy. Post on the monthly thread and perhaps someone can send extra blocks to the hostess that month.

It would be nice if you post a picture of your blocks so we can all see the variety provided. And I'll upload those to our photo album.

The hostesses will post pictures of their completed quilts for our photo album and I'd like to keep track of count for our blog.

The requested monthly blocks are listed in the blog below.

SunShine Quilters:
http://quilterssunshine.blogspot.com

SunShine Photos:
http://s1282.photobucket.com/u...ineQuilters/library/

My Quilts: http://s184.beta.photobucket.c...r/elainetoo/library/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

Posts: 8138 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Posting a little early - can you believe though that it's only 2 weeks till July 4th! When winter finally broke - the time has gone so fast.

This is what I've seen posted so far for pvillelou. Know there were more sent. Nice easy month for summer.

Posts: 8138 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is my August block that should get there soon (mailed Thursday)

Posts: 1971 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And September:

Posts: 1971 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
I need to cut new ones and my fabric for that is at our other home. Going there next weekend so my July will go out probably on the first.

Posts: 967 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
I hope to mail my strips out to Pvillelou next week.

Posts: 2052 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Jen - that is so pretty Smile

Posts: 6655 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Quilter Jen's block arrived today. Thank you so very much. Love the dark blue print Smile

Posts: 6655 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
so, we just cut and send strips, right? We don't sew them together to make the block?

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5147 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gonesewin:
so, we just cut and send strips, right? We don't sew them together to make the block?

Correct. Nice easy month.

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Nicki, your package arrived on Friday, a day earlier than you expected it to. Sorry I didn't post sooner about it but I've been extremely busy. After today, things will be calmer in my life and I hope to start on some Sunshine quilts next week. Your strips will be great. Thanks. I'll try to post a picture later this week.

Posts: 6613 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
pvillelou, I'm glad you got the July strips. I kept finding more & more to cut & added them in for your Sunshine quilts. Thanks for making quilts for the children.

Nicki

Posts: 8355 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
July strips going out today.

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Well June is almost over & we will be a 1/2 year into our Sunshine Quilters blocks/strips. I'm really glad I looked into this & participated this year. Making a block or two each month to help make Sunshine Quilts is so very, very easy & keeps my sewing machine humming when I'm between projects.

Thanks Elaine for heading this up this year & keeping us all on track & posting all the pics, etc. Wave

Nicki

Posts: 8355 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
so, last week (I think) I received a package from KarribeanQuilter that contained several pieces of fabrics to be sent to Germany along with my quilt in October for QOV. Thanks!

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

Posts: 5147 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fayejean
posted Hide Post
Lisa, just curious did you receive my blocks for June?

Posts: 522 | Location: MI | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
July strips were mailed yesterday Smile

Posts: 4697 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Fayejean - Yes I did. Sorry I didn't post sooner. Timing just isn't my friend lately. I also have two other packs that I have not let the senders know they arrived. I am at work, so can't tell you who they are right now. I will try really hard to get those names posted this evening.

Posts: 2902 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be busy with Sunshine Quilters quilts! Another package of strips arrived today, these were from AngelaC. Here are all of the ones I got from her and nlk. There are two of most of the fabrics so even though I will probably not use all of these in the same quilt, it is almost enough for a whole quilt.

It is going to be fun to figure out how to combine all the wonderful strips I'm getting. Someone else had sent some Easter egg prints so I'll use that with the bunnies and possibly the chicks. The top strips in the pic will be great with the dinosauer print on the bottom and some other primary color prints I already got. The strawberry shortcake will go with some other girly prints and I know I'll also have something to use the Winnie the Pooh print with - oh, come to think of it, I believe someone else sent another Pooh print!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pvillelou,

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Mailed Oct, Nov & Dec yesterday. Was realloy worried about the december block, but it was so very easy. Have a major project upcoming that I need to work on, so wanted to get these done so I don't need to worry about them later. Will post pictures when my "photographer" gets them to me... Chris

Posts: 6230 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Elainetoo's strips came today. They will be great between some of the novelty prints that others have sent. Such pretty, bright colors (that bottom one is much more blue than it looks). Thanks!

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
My July strips went out today. Sent them priority so they should get there soon. I love my post office inside the Hallmark store. They convinced me to put it in a smaller envelope to save 55 cents. (There is no cent sign on my IPad - what is the world coming to?)

Posts: 967 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
I mailed out my July strips today. They are coming from Ohio so they should get to you pretty fast. Smile

Posts: 2052 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
SueStitches, your package arrived today. WOW! What a lot (2 of each) of cute strips! I've been very busy the last 2-3 months so haven't yet started on these quilts. I certainly am getting a great variety of strips to use.

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Mary Lou, you sure have gotten some cute kid prints!

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Those hedgehogs are precious. I think I'm in love with hedgehogs...I have one as my desktop picture on my computer at work. Big Grin

Nicki

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Nicki I love hedgehogs too. I have a couple of 6 inch strips left. PM me your address and I will send them on to you. I would love to see them used by a fellow hedgehog lover. Smile

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
More cute kid fabric came today! These are from chlynn. I should have shown a larger area of the middle one so you could see that it is giraffes.

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
received blocks from cksvett. Thanks so much. Will post picture later this evening.

Posts: 4448 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
July strips are looking good. Can't wait to see the bright kids quilts.

Been away camping, so just catching up on downloading pictures. Maybe in the next week I can get some stuff uploaded to the photo album.

Any quilts done from our previous month hostesses? We'd love to see them.

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I need to get started on the August blocks so I can have them ready to go for Susan-TN. I'm loving helping out the Sunshine Quilters group this year.

Nicki

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
It is fun to get a chance to do different blocks and help at the same time.

I need to do my August blocks too. I will be going to Oregon at the end of the week, staying for 10 days and then returning August 12th for a few days. If it weren't for DH and the dog and cats I would just stay there.

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
My strips will go out by the end of this week. I will let you know when I actually mail.

Funny thing happened Friday - I donated a bunch of fabric to a local kids dance group and the gentleman I coordinated the donation with is married to the woman who runs Project Linus for our area. Guess it was meant to be that the blocks I received for June will be going into Project Linus quilts.

Posts: 2902 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Lori - I just got back from the PO - sent you a few FQ's to include in your package. If I'm too late, just keep them Smile My fault for not doing this earlier Smile Should be to your house by Thursday according to what was on my receipt. Have a great week.

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Yay! More strips have arrived. These are from Fayejean.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by headielamar:
...... Guess it was meant to be that the blocks I received for June will be going into Project Linus quilts.

How neat!

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
August block going out tomorrow! Hope you wanted white and scrappy.

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I made my first August block & now that I see it "in person" I think I know how to make my next one scrappy. I'm such a visual person. Smile

Nicki

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
I lied. Did not go out and now won't go out till the 22nd. Too rushed getting ready for my trip. I want to run it by the PO before mailing it.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Sorry for not letting you know earlier (what with mail on hold and then a busy week).. I received your blocks for December cksvett. Thank you.

Sorry it's so blurry.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
LInda - I haven't received anything yet; I'll let you know when it does get here though. Thank you!

Chris - I received your blocks the other day - I'm very behind. Sorry. and Thank you Smile

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
I still haven't started making Sunshine Quilts this month but will certainly have lots to strips to work with. These came yesterday from headielamar. She apologized for not having more kids prints but these will work great. If every strip is novelty print, the quilt is too busy. Some other strips between help the novelty prints look better. Thanks, headie.

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Nice fabric for strips.

Nicki

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
The last hour or so has been fun! I was sorting strips, deciding how to combine them for quilts. I use a simple quilt-as-you-go method that uses 9 strips on each side. You generous friends sent enough strips for SIX quilts! When I get those done, I'll look through my stash to find some fabrics to go with the few strips that are left over. This picture shows one I made a few years ago with only two fabrics on each side.

Picture of Quiltnanny
posted Hide Post
sent my strips over a week ago... did you receive???????

Posts: 4447 | Location: Fabricologist Resource Center, NH | Registered: Mar 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Quilt nanny, I came to let you know that they arrived today! In fact, I have already figured out which other strips to use them with and they look great. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
I was working with my squares today-it is funny how all the blocks from all parts of the United States work together so well. I picked 12 blocks today to put together and one would think the same person made the blocks as a sampler. No pictures yet but it was fun this morning.

Karen

Posts: 675 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: Feb 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
i just got mine mailed yesterday...enjoy! I hope they work well for you Smile

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
On page 2. I'm busy traveling, hope to work on August blocks this week.