Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Where in the world can I find Mary Ellen's Best Press?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where in the world can I find Mary Ellen's Best Press? Sign In/Join 
posted
Looked at Hobby Lobby and Jo-Ann's but no luck. Do have to order online?

Thanks.
You guys are the best!

Gina

Posts: 350 | Location: in the land of quilting | Registered: Jan 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I have seen it on Amazon. I also was looking at Joanns and they did not have it.

Posts: 15212 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
That's where I've gotten it - Amazon and Joanns online.

Happy is a choice.

GO RAVENS!!!

Posts: 4004 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
Most quilt shops carry it.
We do, but shipping is a deal breaker.

Posts: 6627 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
I've only gotten it at my local quilt store, but I just went to Amazon and saw that they have gallon refill bottles.

Posts: 4371 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I bought the big bottle to refill the squirt bottle from Nancy's Notions. Always great service.

Posts: 9462 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know it is at my quilt shop, but you might try WalMart. Sue

Posts: 1494 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Hancocks has it too.

Posts: 7034 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
My Walmart doesn't carry it, but the local LQS does. I bought a gallon of it with a half off coupon, so it was reasonable. I also dilute it some with water, as well. Works just fine.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6231 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 523 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hancock fabrics!! Forgot about them. And I have a coupon!!!!

Thanks!
See, I told you you guys are the best!

Gina

Posts: 350 | Location: in the land of quilting | Registered: Jan 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
It has be on line somewhere, because I got it for Christmas from DH and he ONLY shops on line.LOL Amazon is his go-to place to shop. LOL

Posts: 7846 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quilts"R"Fun
posted Hide Post
Hancock Fabrics...take a competitor coupon that says off any regular priced item. Hancock's does not have a coupon that will cover the best press. I know this because I work there.

Posts: 7902 | Location: In a big heaping pile of awesome fabrics! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kim - Strut526
posted Hide Post
I got mine from Joanns on line, used a coupon for free shipping. bought the largest they had.

Posts: 11810 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of divechime
posted Hide Post
Here is an inexpensive solution to use similar to Ellen’s Best Press, but way cheaper.

1 gallon of water – remove 1/4 cup
1/4 cup cheapest vodka
Optional: 9-12 drips of essence oil
Plastic spray bottle

Remove 1/4 cup of water, and replace with 1/4 cup vodka. Pour into a plastic spray bottle.

Easy, fast, and cheap, PLUS you know all of the ingredients are safe. No inhalants.

When making these up as gifts, I watch for sales on gallons of water (10 for $10) and pick up spray bottles at the dollar store. I also include a label on the bottle so they may make up their own as they wish once they have used
up my gift.

Chris

Posts: 350 | Location: So. Calif | Registered: Jul 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew & Sew
posted Hide Post
Where does one purchase essence oil?

Posts: 22 | Registered: Sep 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewnso
posted Hide Post
Essence oil may be purchased in some pharmacy's.

If life hands you scraps make quilts

Posts: 2935 | Location: Southern BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew & Sew
posted Hide Post
Is it safe to put the home made pressing spray in the steam iron?

Posts: 22 | Registered: Sep 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
My homemade recipe is slightly different amounts of same ingredients...and I have put it in the iron...but with all the problems that others have posted with steam irons, I decided not to risk problems with my older steam irons. I just used the spray bottle now, but had no problem when I did use in the iron.

Be sure to use distilled water....my grocer has it all the time for .89. My drug store carries some oils, others can be found @ health food stores. Michaels has some in the candle &/or soap making supplies. Different areas of my Michael's.

2 c h2o, 2 oz v., 20 drops jasmine or lavender essential oil. Mark Lipinski gave the recipe during Simply Quilts appearance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wildcatmom,

~karen Wave

Posts: 3150 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kim - Strut526
posted Hide Post
health food stores also carry them..i use them all the time.

Posts: 11810 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L.L.
posted Hide Post
I have this stuff, but rarely use it..... Why is it so wonderful and why do people like it so much because I did not see any real reason to use it....Confused But my friend LOVES this stuff!! hmmmm, maybe I should use it more to see why then.......

Posts: 2254 | Location: Alberta, Canada!!  | Registered: Mar 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
I love it, especially if I'm working with a bias. It kind of 'sets' the fabric, gives it a little body and makes it easier to manipulate it without distorting it.

Try it, you'll like it.

Happy is a choice.

GO RAVENS!!!

Posts: 4004 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
Ms. skeptic here.

The Mary Ellen web site describes their Best Press products as ..."clear, crisp spray starch with a lovely scent".. To me that says there is some sort of starch or sizing in it. I don't see that in the home made recipes.

I can see how the little bit of vodka might make the few drops of oil disperse better. Any starch in the grain or potatoes from which the vodka is made is long gone.

I don't see why that combination dispensed from a spray bottle (I use a plant mister) would produce a better pressing result than just plain water. Guess I could get a small bottle of Best Press and do a side by side comparison. Hubby wouldn't appreciate the fragrance part (not too crazy about it myself) so I'd skip that part at least for initial tests. Smile

Martha

Posts: 6998 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
There are several fragrances of Best Press. I get the clean linen or something like that and it's very nice. Does not linger very long anyway. I think it makes the fabric "relax" a bit better than just plain water. I have bottles of both handy to the ironing board at all times, so I use whatever I think is needed. For pressing fabric before cutting, I use water. Once a block is done and it needs pressing, then I'll use the Best Press to get it as flat as possible.

As I said before, I dilute the Best Press some, as well, and it continues to work just fine.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6231 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
I just checked and my bottle says "Mary Ellen's Linen Water". I would say the the recipe I gave is more like that, and FFG's description is right on...it helps the fabric relax more than plain water does. It doesn't stiffen the fabric at all. I've also used liquid potpourri from the dollar store for the recipe instead of essential oil. There's a "linen" scent I like.

When Mark Lipinski appeared on Simply Quilts, he gave 2 recipes, and the other did have liquid starch in it. I've never used the Best Press, but would guess the starch recipe is similar.

http://www.hgtv.com/handmade/8...ting-tips/index.html (link to text summary of show w/Mark's recipes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wildcatmom,

~karen Wave

Posts: 3150 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OUMom
posted Hide Post
The recipe I use does have liquid starch and I get the potpourri oils from Wal-Mart. My husband doesn't like the "foo foo" smells as he calls it so I get a "manly" smell for his things....I think I use Sandalwood or something like that. I love this stuff and it is sooooo much cheaper than the Best Press.

Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I use Best Press on my cotton shirts...makes even an old shirt look beautiful. I LOVE Best Press!

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8431 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post