Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ●.Eighth.Annual.● Scraps.to.Treasures.Challenge ●.Part II.●
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

●.Eighth.Annual.● Scraps.to.Treasures.Challenge ●.Part II.● Sign In/Join 
Picture of jayardi
posted
● ● ● Now that the squares are arriving, lets get a fresh start so you don't have to wade through all the other pages. If you have a question, please post it here.

The following should answer some of your most recent questions:

First, the 42 sets you sent in were for everyone else which did not include your set. If you only cut 42 sets, then you should have 12" of each fabric left to play with in your quilt. If you did get your set back, then it is because we had a boo boo. And in City/Sandie's case, that is exactly what happened. One of her sets was put into the wrong pile. (first time ever happened)

The spreadsheet has everything listed, unless I made a mistake. If you think I missed something, please let me know.

Any of the fabric you add in, does not have to start as a six inch square. You can use equivalent strips. Or, you can use the whole FQ as one piece. Same goes for the remainder of your initial fabrics.

● Peeks ● Send me photos of your work in progress. I will post peeks as we go along to help inspire everyone.

I do exactly like Lisa does. Spread them all out, then decide which categories I need to make my design work.

Life without quilting is not an option! • • • • • MY Photos • • • • • • ENJOY!

Have you met my Circle of Friends? • • • • • • • PJ Party Tutorials

• • • Please! Support OUR Troops: Gratitude Campaign • • •

Posts: 9792 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● FINAL SURPRISE

You may add another pair of 6" squares from your fabrics from last year, but you have to e-mail me a photo of them just to be sure you have the right fabrics.

For those of you who did not participate last year, Frown boo hoo, too bad.

Razz psych - just to be fair you may also add one more pair. Anything goes.

Posts: 9792 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The party has started! ( Not for me though...no package.)

Everyone have fun!

Rondi

Posts: 1577 | Location: winchester,ky | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
.... I have to ask - what is that scent in the baggie?
I will not make my 'cuts' until Thursday when I can lay them all out and admire and enjoy ..
I love all the neat fabrics sent .. wow - this is a regular treasure trove.

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9144 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● It's called "On the Beach". Do you like?

Picture of SavedSinnr
posted Hide Post
I can wait for my squares ... I'm buried in pin cushions right now, so I'm glad I didn't have the temptation to dig in and get them all out Eek DHoney has enough to put up with all over the house right now Big Grin

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 8008 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
..yes ... sounds sort of on the beachish...

Wounded Warrior Project

Posts: 9144 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Got mine today also...just as I was leaving for work. I think most will work well with what I hope to do, but there are also a few that may be a challenge. Smile

Posts: 4719 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
I wish you had posted that message last year Jean because I did send in mine this time and last also with the others. I guess it's confusing when your new. Anywho no big deal, I did however find some of one fabric I sent I'll send you an email as soon as I find it again. I'm hoping I get the new stuff today.

J Lu

Posts: 1143 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the scent goodie, it smells good.

I sent in 43 sets but mine didn't come back either. Oh well... sa la vie!

This is going to be a definite "challenge"!

Posts: 530 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Jean, hopefully you remember I am allergic to scents and didn't include anything in my package.

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

For donated quilts for the kids, check out the photos at
http://kc1930.blogspot.com/201...-pictures-below.html

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
Frown They weren't in today's mail maybe tomorrow. Can't wait to see them.

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 741 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
dh says he heard the mailman grumbling the other day about all the packages he's been delivering lately. Maybe I should think about a tip this Christmas???

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5202 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
Rearranged all the blocks x2, still having serious thoughts about how made several work for me. Roll Eyes

Libby

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." ~~~Dalai Lama

Posts: 3960 | Location: Lower Va. | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ktz
posted Hide Post
My little girls had lots of suggestions for using the eyeballs!

Posts: 331 | Registered: Dec 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3575 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today's mail maybe Smile But my formal observation is next week so everything sewing wise is on hold until that is done. With state testing also coming up, probably won't get to really play with my squares besides looking at them until mid-May Frown

Posts: 1977 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Mine are here, mine are here! Haven't spread them out yet, but will later today.

Posts: 5799 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charmingsister
posted Hide Post
Mine arrived yesterday. Hooray. Now what to do, what to do.

Posts: 2598 | Location: now in the sunshine | Registered: Oct 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
Nothing here Frown

Posts: 4347 | Location: N.Y., USA | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Nothing here. I have no idea what I sent in last year, so I won't even think about the final surprise bonus squares. I really don't think I will need them for this design (famous last words!)

Still searching for the perfect fabrics for the rest of my fq choices.

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6678 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Received my blocks! Didnt get a chance to look at them. They arrived safely at the new apartment but I was supervising delivery of 400lb of kitchen tiles, a whole kitchen load of cabinets and two hours worth of unloading of 5 inch hardwood floor boards - three different delivery companies lol.

So I got to see the components of our new home, but not my squares. Will check em out Sunday Smile

We FINALLY got approval for installation of all this stuff, hope the contractor can get most of it in place before moving date April 24th. The management company made us wait so long for approval, they had the final plans for 3 weeks before they said yes!!

Looking to unpack all my quilt supplies on the 28h, will be so nice to have scissors, seam ripper, and all my notions back out. Everything is still packed from September lol and I have been sewing with a borowed rotory cutter, 2 rulers, and a pair of household scissors >.<

Jane_Kiwi

Posts: 1815 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
Mine arrived yesterday. We can eliminate one, right?

Posts: 428 | Location: Shapleigh, Maine | Registered: Jul 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No squares yesterday. I know which fabrics I used last year, just a matter if I stil lhave them laying around (I tend to donate larger scraps to my students at work). I have a dreadful cold so hoping to push back my formal observation, so if the squares come today I might be able to start designing this weekend.

Posts: 1977 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
My squares arrived today Smile.

In the spirit of starting (and finishing) earlier than ever before, I have already made cuts on some of the fabrics from the package. Eek Don't faint, Jean!

Looking forward to an early finish this year!

Posts: 5090 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Got mine! Some challenges in there!!! SmileBeautiful ones, too.

eta: All of mine that I got today are sorted as tocolor and value. Next my extras! Whoohoo!

Thanks Jean Smile

Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nancyc20,

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 9036 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
Mine got here, will look at them later working outside today. thanks

SUE B

The smallest Cross in the corner is the one you put in the room.

I hope all our daily ups and downs are with needle and thread.

COF 2007 http://www2.snapfish.com/snapf...BRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Posts: 1536 | Location: North of the Gulf of Mexico | Registered: Apr 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine came today. Brought the bag to work with me tonight. If it is quiet I might have time to go through them. Now to see if my design will work or not.
Thank you Jean for all your hard work and everyone else for playing along.

Quick question Jean, I can't remember if I dreamed this up or not? Can we convert our F/Q's into yardage? Or not? I am confused on that and may not be thinking correctly.

Rondi

Posts: 1577 | Location: winchester,ky | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SavedSinnr
posted Hide Post
I received mine today Jean, and will pull them out this weekend and pet them ... I think they will play nice Smile

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 8008 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Quick question Jean, I can't remember if I dreamed this up or not? Can we convert our F/Q's into yardage? Or not? I am confused on that and may not be thinking correctly.

Also I would like to know if yes..can I add like 4 FQs together be a yard ??? of one fabric???

Libby

Posts: 3960 | Location: Lower Va. | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● KC, of course I remember.

Rondi, I'm not sure I understand your question. If you mean can you cut strips from WOF to equal a FQ, then yes you can.

Libby, your answer is easier. NO, but you can use 4 similar fabrics to look like one, but you must use four different fabrics.

Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Yes, Rondi, you can use an equivalent amount (a regular 9" x 44" cut instead of a fq). I know this because I asked earlier.

No, Libby, the fqs all have to be different. I lucked out one year and found a whole set of fqs in the same colors but different patterns and made my twister quilt that year. Several people complained that I didn't follow the rules, but when I took it to the NC retreat, I proved that yes, I really did use all different fqs.

Now, onto the important news! My squares arrived today, I've unpacked them, looked at all of them, and then carefully placed them with my fabric pieces in a tote bag. I will not, will not, will NOT look at this until two other projects are finished.

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6678 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you ladies, my question was answered. You were both typing and sending at same time. Funny.

Thank you for the clarification.

Rondi

Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
Jean, as I hide my head in shame, I just knew that would be your answer, but I had to try. Roll Eyes

Libby

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
I got a present today. Thank You Jean! I love my ribbon it's beautiful and thank you for the book and the card and lastly the fabric. I am going to have a ball with this.

J Lu

Posts: 1143 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I got mine today Smile

Not sure what I think of them yet. Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet either...Pretty sure which one is going to get tossed though :-/

Is it just me or are they particularly dark this year?

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5202 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
Lori, I agree, when Jean makes her picture of all the blocks, I'm sure it will appear more than 2/3 dark.

Libby

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● I couldn't wait any longer. Had to see them all spread out. Unfortunately, there were so many on my design wall that I couldn't get a photo of everything. Had to move them to the photo studio (spare room). The t-shirt quilt top is still hanging there, so I had to improvise. Grabbed my new batting and hung it in front of the quilt. Who knew polyester batting clings so well? I think better than the cotton. I barely had to touch it to the batting and they stayed exactly where I put them. Big Grin

I haven't had a chance to convert it to black and white yet, but I will soon.

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
I love them all - and even have a few favorites already .. Smile

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
Thank you Jean, my last pair of fabric and spreadsheet arrived yesterday. Sorting day was great fun, seeing you and Mary again and Meeting Maren and Marilyn. Unfortunately I have been so busy with work I haven't had time to practice the free motion quilting or any sewing.

Looking forward to playing with these fabrics, probably in June! Happy Stitching.

Posts: 2736 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
I got mine today. I like most of them. I thought they looked dark too, but in Jean's picture it seems that there are lots of lights. Time to look again. It's always so much fun to play with them. I think they all will work great in my design!!!
Thanks, Jean for the treat. It smells so good.

I really appreciate all your hard work.

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 741 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Taking a small break from basting. Never did care for this part, especially on BIG quilts.

Anyway, I was able to convert the fabrics to black & white. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
WooHoo! My fabbies and sweet card arrived today from Miss J...thank you! I am trying something new this year (new technique to me anyway!) and am anxious to see how it works out!

Posts: 3575 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine came last night. Darn cold so I can't sleep or breathe or concentrate on work stuff, but I played with squares.

Thanks also for the prizes-- PERFECT fit (the Aussie fabric, the cut loose book, the bag pattern, etc!)

posted Hide Post
Ideas are swirling in my head...now to focus...

posted Hide Post
Since I still am feeling under the weather I played with my squares all day. Still haven't made a cut into the fabric but have an idea that will work now since my original idea wont

Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
My package arrived...thanks for remembering, J!

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

For donated quilts for the kids, check out the photos at
http://kc1930.blogspot.com/201...-pictures-below.html

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
my package arrived Fri. I am rethinking my pattern.

Posts: 4347 | Location: N.Y., USA | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
I did more cutting yesterday and might be ready to do some sewing this week Eek.

Posts: 5090 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't cut into any of my fabrics yet but did get some scraps out and did a mock up block of something I might try... Going to have to stew on it for a few days and see if it will work?

Rondi