Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ●.Eighth.Annual.● Scraps.to.Treasures.Challenge ●.Part II.●
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

●.Eighth.Annual.● Scraps.to.Treasures.Challenge ●.Part II.● Sign In/Join 
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Oops, missed Lisa ~ TX's guess. She too has earned a pair of BONUS SQUARES. Sorry Lisa.

Life without quilting is not an option! • • • • • MY Photos • • • • • • ENJOY!

Have you met my Circle of Friends? • • • • • • • PJ Party Tutorials

• • • Please! Support OUR Troops: Gratitude Campaign • • •

Posts: 9703 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
So, we can guess again? Or is that just for the ones that went over? Do we earn another pair of squares for a follow-up guess? Smile

Posts: 4663 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IrishQuiltLass
posted Hide Post
Thanks ladies for your support and virtual offers of helping with my unsewing. I also am sew glad you all gave Jean extra time to finish as I got mine finished today.

Now to clean up my studio to start my next project.

Lee

Go raibh grá, ádh, muinín agus dóchas agat i gcónaí
May you always have hope, faith, love, and luck

Posts: 1612 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Aug 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Yes Angela, when I say please try again, everyone is eligible to send in another guess. And yes, you will receive another pair of BONUS SQUARES. Big Grin

I planned on clarifying this tonight because not everyone is taking advantage of this great opportunity to earn those BONUS SQUARES. Every time you send in a guess you will get a pair of BONUS SQUARES. Once you send in your guess, you will have to wait until I say "please try again" for the next guess though. Wink This will go on until someone gets it right or I finish the quilt. I sure hope it doesn't mean those who aren't playing don't plan on joining next year. Frown That would make me very very sad. Frown

I have started a spread sheet just for this, so it is no longer necessary to number your guesses.

NOW, send in your guesses!

I have to work tonight, but I may be back later with an update.

Posts: 9703 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
oooooooooooooooh ... we can vote again .... can do ...

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9117 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
OMg! That's the same way I put my eyeballs next to that red checked fabric!!! What are the odds of that!!!??? My quilt isn't finished yet, either. My guest is here now, so I'm WAAAY less sure of getting it done...

sigh...

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8711 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Yay! I sent my second guess Smile Can always use more BONUS SQUARES Big Grin

Nancy, that's funny that you put the same 2 fabrics next to each other. I wonder how many others did too...they do look "right" together (kind of extends that bloodshot look Razz)

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● This is hilarious, watching the guesses come in. Since I did not say who was high, some people thought I meant them. Big Grin So, they lowered their guess. Then the next time they raised it just a bit. Big Grin I'm having a blast with this, even though I don't get any BONUS SQUARES. Hmmm, maybe I should get a pair for every time you get to guess. That would be fair, don't you think? I like that idea, and just to be fair I won't start counting until this one, okay?

This round Angela C, Carolander, City/Sandie, CQwannabe, J Lu, Motqltr, NancyC20, Quilter Jen, QuilthappyMaryWI and Terrimae have earned another pair of BONUS SQUARES.

Only problem is, we still have one person over, and all the rest are low. Please try again. Wink

posted Hide Post
I like your idea of you getting bonus squares as well!

Posts: 1924 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Ok, I guessed again Smile

Enjoy your BONUS SQUARES Big Grin

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...QUESTION: are we required to use ALL the bonus squares next year .. can we use them to replace something we think doesn't w ork in the batch we receive?
Uuuh,,, I'm talking like I plan to do this again ... heeellllooooo Sandra ....

Wounded Warrior Project

Posts: 9117 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of QuilthappyMaryWI
posted Hide Post
I made another guess.

Posts: 67 | Location: Southern Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Now you got me laughing.

J Lu

Posts: 1031 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Thanks Jen, sometimes I need a few extras too. Wink

Sandie, you already committed, so no backing out now. Razz No, you do not have to use ALL your BONUS SQUARES. They are there if you need them. As for replacing something, you are only allowed to replace ONE square and that would be in addition to your BONUS SQUARES.

Have received a couple more entries. Big Grin Big Grin

Hope this peek isn't too small. This is what happens when the photo you send me is less than 300kb. At least I didn't have to resize it for posting here.

Oops, forgot to mention I have to work all day tomorrow. No idea how late either. Hopefully I will get to sew on Sunday.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jayardi,

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...sent a photo ... Smile

Wounded Warrior Project

posted Hide Post
Yea! Glad to see some more finishers.

Posts: 1924 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
I'm sending in a new guess. Thanks Jean

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 731 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ktz
posted Hide Post
Wow! That was a detailed peek!

Posts: 331 | Registered: Dec 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Sent a new guess Smile .

Posts: 5039 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
I love seeing all the different quilts we make with the same fabric plus our own inspiration! I went and looked at all the old Scraps Challenges today....so awesome!

Posts: 410 | Location: Shapleigh, Maine | Registered: Jul 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● I'm waiting on two more quilts, with a little luck we will have a show next weekend. Big Grin

In the mean time, I have a New Idea. There are three dominate colors in my quilt. Can you tell me which three. Send me an e-mail with your choices. This time you only get one chance, so you better be sure. You can earn up to FIVE pairs of BONUS SQUARES.

One just for trying. One for each correct color, total of three. And one BONUS if you get all three colors. They are basic colors, so no turquoise or chartreuse, okay? You will have until the quilt is finished to send in your guesses.

Tomorrow, we will revisit the piece count.

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
sending you a guess ...

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Sent my guess too Smile

posted Hide Post
Sent you my guess about colors!

Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
just sent in my guess.

Posts: 731 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
I sent a new guess on the number of pieces and will send a guess on colors shortly.

Wish I could get mine finished Frown. I'll probably get bonus squares deducted for not finishing--don't get any ideas, girl!

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● I had a very productive Sunday, but it wasn't all in the sewing room. Frown

I have an update on the piece count. We had 12 guessers this round. From the looks of these numbers, this could go on for a while. Wink The following have earned another pair of BONUS SQUARES: Angela C, Bluesnail, Charmingsister, City/Sandie, J Lu, Ktz, Lisa - TX, NancyC20, Quilter Jen, QuilthappyMaryWI, Shequilts, and Stillsuzzz. Congratulations ladies! You all are still LOW. Please try again.

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
LOW??? Good grief, girl! You must be working your fingers to the bone!!!! Do you have enough thread???????

Posts: 8711 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
Jean,
did you see my guess, I emailed it yesterday morning.

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3620 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Motqltr, I replied to it last night.

Received another entry today. Big Grin

I have 14 guesses on the colors. A few have gotten two out of three, but no one has gotten them ALL yet.

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I sent another guess on the count. Every number I've sent seems so high to me! It's no wonder this quilt is taking you so long to finish Big Grin

ooh...I wonder if that last peek is english paper piecing?

Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
More entries, excellent! Sometimes, we all need just a little more time....lol

What is the difference between English paper piecing and paper piecing?

Posts: 410 | Location: Shapleigh, Maine | Registered: Jul 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Stillsuzz English paper piecing is usually hexies,sewn together by hand. Where as paper piecing is where something is printed on one side and sewn on the other to make a quilt with perfectly points and even edges. I think anyway.

J Lu

Posts: 1031 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
I see now, J Lu. Just watched a video on Youtube......diamonds too.....might have to try it sometime! Now that my Scraps Challenge quilt is done anyhow.....

Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Remember, we will be having our seventh hexagon swap sign ups posted on the boards this weekend...hint,hint...

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

For donated quilts for the kids, check out the photos at
http://kc1930.blogspot.com/201...-pictures-below.html

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Sending another guess on the count. Third time is a charm, right?Smile?

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
..ok. I'm guessing again .. cannot believe hhow hight his is going ..
...2 emails sent to you ... oooops .. just looke d back and saw we can only guess once on this onc about the colors ... sorry ..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: City/Sandie,

Wounded Warrior Project

posted Hide Post
Looking forward to seeing all the quilts. I have mine hanging in the living room and I smile every time I see it.

Lee

Posts: 1612 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Aug 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
We did have a wide variety of happy colors to use this year. I have to say that I stressed over a few pieces and how to use them, but I found a way. I will even go so far as to say the difficult pieces are LOVELY now that they are in their place.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone's quilts and saying to myself "That was brilliant the way she did that!" Isn't it amazing that we start with the same scraps, add in our own FQ's and more scraps and the quilts are all so different?

Lee, maybe you should send yours to my house so I can smile when I walk by it?

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● So far only nine of you have sent in a new guess. Just to keep it fair, and so you don't think I'm just trying to rack up extra BONUS SQUARES for myself, I will give you a few more days to send in your guesses. It would be nice if we could get more to participate.

I finally figured out what the GRAND PRIZE will be. Big Grin If someone guesses the actual number, they will be able to DOUBLE their BONUS SQUARES from this contest only. If we do not get an exact match, then the person with the closest guess will get an additional FIVE BONUS SQUARES.

A couple of you are getting closer. Wink

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
............. I see there was no hint this time .... high or low ..... hmmmm...

Wounded Warrior Project

posted Hide Post
Haven't been on the computer much this week- sent a guess

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ●
quote:
............. I see there was no hint this time .... high or low ..... hmmmm...
That's because I'm waiting for a few more guesses. Just hold your pants on lady. Razz

Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2712 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh nice peak? Embroidery?

Stillsuzz I would sent it to you but Jean would kill me for showing someone.

Lee

Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
If you show me yours, I will show you mine!

Just kidding.....

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Are we guessing again on numbers???

Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
OOOOOH! Great peeks1 I can't wait to see the whole quilts. It is getting very exciting!!

another guess sent in.

Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
Hm...that last peek looks like beading to me....I could be wrong, I am often wrong......and I am thinking someone could have their top done and that could be phase 2.....just a guess! That would take a LONG time! Big Grin

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jayardi:
● ● ● I'm waiting on two more quilts, with a little luck we will have a show next weekend. Big Grin [QUOTE]

So....the the other 2 quilts come in? Did any others? Did you finish your million piece quilt? Wink Will there be a show this weekend? I'm dying to see the quilts that created these peeks! Big Grin