Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ●.Eighth.Annual.● Scraps.to.Treasures.Challenge ●.Part II.●
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

●.Eighth.Annual.● Scraps.to.Treasures.Challenge ●.Part II.● Sign In/Join 
posted Hide Post
my plans keep changing now that I see the fabbies...

Posts: 3453 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ktz
posted Hide Post
Cutting? Nah.
Percolating? Definitely!

Posts: 331 | Registered: Dec 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ekbuckeye
posted Hide Post
When I first looked at all the squares, I thought "what the h3II am I going to do with these"! Looked at them again ... and am thinking the same thing. I will, I will, I will come up with some way of using 2 pieces of each, tho.

Ellen

"Wishing you sunshine and blessings"

Posts: 2291 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: May 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
Ellen, I think we only have to use a 2 inch square of each.

Libby

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." ~~~Dalai Lama

Posts: 3959 | Location: Lower Va. | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● That's true Libby, but it still has to measure 36x48".

I had a little free time this morning so I sorted my fabrics. Now I need to test the technique I want to play with. I have to get up early (very) tomorrow. Which means I have to go to bed early. Don't feel like wrestling with the t-shirt quilt tonight. Think I'll play with my squares some more. Big Grin

Life without quilting is not an option! • • • • • MY Photos • • • • • • ENJOY!

Have you met my Circle of Friends? • • • • • • • PJ Party Tutorials

• • • Please! Support OUR Troops: Gratitude Campaign • • •

Posts: 9685 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Was looking at the windy clouds and trees today and thought of how to put a block together. Smile

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8642 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of terrimae
posted Hide Post
I'm in the considering and re-considering group as well...no cutting yet. Perhaps getting close, though...

Posts: 1838 | Location: East Coast | Registered: Dec 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WooHoo...nailed down my design...

Posts: 3453 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Swamped with work, but did manage to pull out 2 of the 3 fabrics I sent last year. Will try to get a picture to you tomorrow.

Finally feeling better... got home from work at 7 last night, ate dinner and slept until 6:30 this morning (normally up at 4:45).

Posts: 1877 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ktz
posted Hide Post
Design chosen. Now to find the extra fabrics to make it work!

Picture of terrimae
posted Hide Post
jayardi..my computer was having serious issues on Saturday when I sent you my photo of last year's fabrics. Could you post here to let me know whether or not you rec'd my email? thanx.

Posts: 1838 | Location: East Coast | Registered: Dec 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
As I vision in my mind and on paper looks like mine will be about 40 x 52. Have made one slice off each of all but 4 squares so far...Thinking on those 4 as to which 1 to exchange.
Jean, I can not recall what your statement was in reguards to if we were able to make all squares work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SC Lady,

Libby

Posts: 3959 | Location: Lower Va. | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Terrimae, I sent you an e-mail, or are you still having problems?

Libby, we love hearing of everyone's progress, but you have to be careful about how specific you get in your descriptions. Although, it would be nice if someone could give Lisa a run for her money one of these years in the Quilt Maker Contest.

As for the exchange square: you can exchange one. When you send your square back to me next year, and it is not one of the "problem childs" you will get an extra set of BONUS SQUARES. This also applies to those who do not exchange any squares. If you end up using all the squares, then you will also get an extra pair of BONUS SQUARES next year. Big Grin

Posts: 9685 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
I love all the fabrics this year. I see no problem children in my batch they are going to all fit perfect in my design.

J Lu

Posts: 996 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ktz
posted Hide Post
Sorting, shuffling, re-sorting. I haven't had time to dig through my stash yet, but I think I finally know what I need. I'm enjoying the fabric this year!

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I am trying to figure out how to make my idea work. Unfortunately I am not having much success. I may have to fall back on someone else's pattern...

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5046 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
May have to slice some more off each block ( will maintain at least 2 x 2 inch square) of a few blocks Roll Eyes Big Grin Guess I'm with all you slice, think more and slice some more. lol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SC Lady,

Libby

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Oh Libby, when we're testing, we use other fabric before cutting into the squares. Sure hope you haven't wasted too much.

posted Hide Post
I have two ideas I'm thinking of and keep arranging and re-arranging my fabrics. Did a test of one idea with some scraps but still haven't made a final decision. One of these days I'll make my first cut.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Mar 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
Did a little more testing this morning - cut some scraps and laid them out. I think I have a plan....now to find "TIME", I think it is lost along with my mind.

Posts: 2706 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just went back and looked at all of the quilts in all of the STT challenges...GORGEOUS!!! What a lot of creativity!

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
..... I am just biding my time - have a couple of things to get done and then my time is mine - but I have my plan already and every square looks like I special ordered it ... is this suupposed to be this easy? Perhaps I have done something wrong and will have to PAY for it later!!!!

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9098 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I forgot abt the use last yr's, is it too late. I'm sure I have a pic somewhere.
Also, (as a repeat offender) I should know this, but can we combine the FQs for 1 pc or do they need to be separate. Seems I've read both ways.
Off to find pic of last yr's fabs

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3614 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Motqltr, that chat about the FQs was on page 1 of this thread. Here's a copy and paste of Jean's response to Libby's question.

Libby, your answer is easier. NO, but you can use 4 similar fabrics to look like one, but you must use four different fabrics.

All of our add ins, whether FQs or squares, are to be different fabrics.

more variety = more fun Smile

I really wanted to start sewing this week, but just wasn't able to pull it off. Other things have to be done, but it won't be long.

Posts: 5037 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of terrimae
posted Hide Post
jayardi, yes, rec'd your email. thanks for confirming mine went through. My browser had been hijacked...(grrr. face). should be cleaned up now.

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Mine won't be too original - I seem to have a creative block, but I think it will be pretty neat.

Posts: 5767 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
McP //// those blocks are there for a reason ... as you work around the ideas ... they block the boring and waste of time and push you to the more exciting thoughts - quilt thoughts - Smile

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9098 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charmingsister
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, not much progress here but I have taken the blocks out of the package. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charmingsister,

Posts: 2580 | Location: now in the sunshine | Registered: Oct 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Way to go Joni! I have to put mine away for now. Didn't have much luck with my tests, so they are going back on the shelf for a while. I have to get the t-shirt quilt finished.

Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
Got mine sorted by color value. Now trying to come up with a plan to go with my quilt name.

Posts: 519 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
I was just perusing the previous winners to figure out a couple of rules. My goodness, what a variety of quilts,so much talent!

Isn't it amazing how many different scrap quilts can be made from the same fabric? And although we have a few interesting fabrics this year, some of the other years were far more challenging!

Posts: 407 | Location: Shapleigh, Maine | Registered: Jul 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I think I have a plan... I call it "Plan J" - at least, I think that's what I am up to...

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

Posts: 5046 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
With my bonus and beginning fabric, mine looking like it bigger than I first thought. My Oh! My! What to do.

Libby

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Looking at Plan "r" now...

Picture of Charmingsister
posted Hide Post
LOL, seems as if you have a plethora of plans. I actually started on this project this morning. Yipeeeeeeee

Posts: 2580 | Location: now in the sunshine | Registered: Oct 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of terrimae
posted Hide Post
My project is in process, too. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Managed to sew some of mine last weekend... won't get back to it until at least Saturday.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Wow! Jen and I thought I was fast. The only thing I've done is sort, and something else but, I can't tell you or I'd have to kill myself. Or Jean would. Still waiting for my darn camera to come in. I stopped today to see if was close but, they couldn't give me an answer. Arg! Anyway it's nice to see everyone is moving right along. Leaving next week for Alabama, so it looks like maybe May or June before I get started. At least I have a plan even if it doesn't work the first time.

J Lu

Posts: 996 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Lori, plan 'r'? That's amazing. Can you share what went wrong on the others so we won't duplicate your efforts? Wink

I've made good progress with my quilting, but I have a bunch of other things to get done before retreat also. I won't be able to play with this until July. Please keep the chatter going and don't forget to send me your peeks.

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Not all of them "went wrong" or won't work. Some are just ones I like better than the last.

Picture of SavedSinnr
posted Hide Post
Just sent in my first sneek peak Big Grin

I'd like to thank everyone for the cool fabrics ... and especially all those who sent in the lights Smile

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 8005 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I have abt 1/2 of the bonuses and 1/2 of the FQs; only 3 projects going on at the same time. I have to finish this one by mid-May because I'm having shoulder surgery in July and won't be able to sew

~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3614 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Karen B.
posted Hide Post
Scratch plan A. However, plan B works! Just a few things to finish up first then let the "fun" begin. Thanks Jayardi

Posts: 31 | Location: Wisconsin/Mississippi | Registered: Feb 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
can you say "plan U"? I don't find these fabrics to be particularly interesting~they are quite dull. I have all these great ideas but then I go and try them with the fabrics and come up with a big, loud NO, NOT GONNA HAPPEN...Good thing I have lots of bonuses. Maybe I should get some out and see if we can liven up the bunch???

Picture of QuilthappyMaryWI
posted Hide Post
I had a plan before I saw the fabrics. Then decided NO. Then looked at more patterns, thought I had one that would work, then said NO. Now I am back to my original idea with a few changes. Started cutting so cna't change my mind anymore. Need to get working on it. We are moving later this year, so....
Happy planning, cutting and sewing everyone!

Posts: 67 | Location: Southern Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
Did a mock up of my plan, it works. Now to create it with the required fabrics...time to cut.

Posts: 2706 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...Plan U??? Gonesewin' I'll bet you are just trying to throw us off and you have your quilt all pieced already!!!

I have begun cutting...yippee!

Picture of terrimae
posted Hide Post
We must be busy planning/cutting/sewing..not much chatter here Big Grin

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I'm off work tomorrow and hope to work on this and the facebook quilt-a-long.
Also need to make a baby quilt (maybe 2 or 3) and baby stuff for church nursery. Hope I can have a productive afternoon tomorrow. My sewing machine misses me.

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● I'm back to quilting the t-shirt. Hoping to finish it this weekend {knock on wood}.

Would you believe the peeks have already started coming in? Here is the very first one. Wink