Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Do you have any UFO's that you want to finish in 2014?!!!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have any UFO's that you want to finish in 2014?!!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
Love how you put that...I excel at creating quilting UFO's!!! Sounds like you might be both gifted and talented at it!!! LOL!

Posts: 5013 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shey..
posted Hide Post
thank you Jill for coming up with this.. Smile

i'm going to join you on this quilting UFO challenge and i've decided to do the same thing with a bunch of my cross stitching friends for a cross stitch UFO challenge..

so hopefully.. 2014 will be a year of ... "get it done" ... for me..

shey..

my blog.. http://sheysstitchinmagic.blogspot.com/

"come hell .. come high water... you push on me.. i'm gonna push back harder... i got a whole lot more than a little bit left...

Posts: 3484 | Location: FL | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SavedSinnr
posted Hide Post
thanks for not asking HOW MANY Roll Eyes

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 8005 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shey - I'm hoping it's the same for me too!

Lindsay - no way I was going to ask a number...isn't there a saying that goes something like "don't throw stones in glass houses?" LOL!

Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
Working on a current UFO & I hope it will be finished before this challenge begins. Going to get that out of the way so I can start rooting through boxes & bins & hauling out those other UFOs that are tucked away. You know....out of sight...out of mind....then again no one here can relate to that habit, can they?

Posts: 5307 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
Ruby has been housecleaning & organizing her sewing supplies. She is getting her UFOs out, putting everything she needs together with the project & bagging them & labeling them so they are ready to go. She is looking forward to this too. She says it is a great incentive to get them done.

Posts: 5307 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
ooooooooohhh no.. Lens.... none of US.......

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9126 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
So there is no limit to the size as long as it's quilt related? Could be table runner, etc?

I have a lot of projects, but some of them aren't "quilt" related. If I find enough, I would love to do this as I need to be inspired! I can still work on the ones that aren't quilt related, but are sewing projects.

I'm in the middle of reorganizing my fabric stash so will get back to you!

Devonne

Posts: 14986 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I have three of my projects picked out, just need to figure out the other three. I am loosing my sewing room and really trying to get both my stash and my ufo's down to a reasonable amount. Of course, I am not about to define 'reasonable' LOL.

Posts: 2883 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
This is getting ridiculous. I just found another box of UFO'S. Didn't recognize a couple of items, there must be at least 8 items just in that box. That's not counting the things I have hanging in a closet.Red Face:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wiley,

Posts: 4438 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Devonne - I've got two runners that need to be quilted and bound. Since they're small, I combined them for one month. But, I won't be too picky about that!

I do have a sample list on page 1. It's near the bottom of the page. Thought that might help if I gave an example.

For those of you who don't even have six... (I want to slap you! LOL! Just kidding!) anyway, if you don't have 6 UFo's, you could make a list with the number that you do have and just work on them when the number comes up.

And Wiley - your post made me laugh out loud!

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
For the ones who don't have six, I won't slap if I can send 10 or 12 for them to finish and send back to me. That's not counting all the others I have.Big Grin:

posted Hide Post
I'd like to join in on the slapping of those that don't have 6 UFOs, if I may??!! LOL!!
wiley, I also found a box and was unsure what was in it... besides other things... two baby quilts that need to be finished!
My list is growing!

Posts: 2311 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wiley - i had the same thought about 'spreading the wealth' so to speak! Maybe that should be a different challenge...we send our UFO to someone else and see what they do with it!

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
WQFC, now that's an idea. I'll supply the Ufo's until mine are cleared up then someone else can take a turn. Better than a SLAP!

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Wow! Three of my best friends want to slap me!Frown

l think I'll take my toys and go home!Smile

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9551 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
I cross stitch with a group of ladies. We used to meet every Monday night at the cross stitch shop at closing time. The owner would lock the door and we would sit and stitch until 9-10 pm. we would order food delivered and we had a ball.

We had one lady who worked on one thing until it was finished. She never had more than one project going at a time. It took us three months to turn her into a UFO Queen!!!!!!!

Posts: 3629 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL!!! Linda - somehow, I can picture that!!! That poor lady probably tried to hard to resist it!

Rainbow - I could never slap you!!! Especially if you bring some of Mr. Rainbow's fudge to the party!!! Wink

Wiley - maybe YOU should organize that one! Might be interesting!

Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
UFO's you ask? Bwaaaahaaaahaaa, I've got so many I can swim in them, but I have been ticking them off one by one the past few weeks, my stays in and out of hospital this year gave me lots of time to wish and hope I were sewing, and now I'm a woman on a mission! With all the UFO's hanging out here it feels like a space mission to Mars Smilep

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7036 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by warm buns:
I have my hand raised. I hope you plan on doing this for the next ten years. I believe if we finish one per month for that long, I might be close to finishing.

Does it have to be quilting? Can it be cross stitching or some other crafty project?

The next 10 years would be a good start for me...the things that come to my mind are blocks I made for a quilt, lost the pattern, now I have found the pattern and the blocks have decided to hide...then I have a oriental which is close to being done, but I lost interest and now it just sits there with the geishas, koi fish and cranes glaring at me...a table runner that was never quilted or bound...and the 3rd top from animal fabric, members of the board sent to me several years ago...ohhhh and my nephews naval quilt (take 2) one was completed and gifted, but his cousin my adoptive nephew has hassled me that he would really like to wrap up in a handmade quilt from his favourite aunt (black mail) lol, I'm certain on the search to gather these up, more will surface...butterfly blocks, and floral blocks which I have been wondering if they were the same size and if I could merge them into a quilt...I suppose I need to quit thinking out loud here and go find me some UFO's ...I'm in!

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7036 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kentucky_Sunshine - I had noticed you weren't on the board so much lately. So sorry to hear you've been in the hospital so much! Glad you are ready to do this with us...sounds like you are in the same boat as the rest of us!!!

Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
quote:
. I just found another box of UFO'S. Didn't recognize a couple of items

Ha! That happened to me, too. Opened a box, found several tops but one.... well, it's definitely my fabric... but i have absolutely NO memory of ever sewing such a top together. I guess the quilting elves snuck in one day and whipped it up for me. LOL

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2242 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
When this challenge first came about the very first UFO I thought about was my NOEL wall hanging. At the time I thought it was the only UFO I had poked away. Well I have found a dozen UFOs in various noncomplete stages & guess what....I still have not found that NOEL wall hanging. I did find the book with the page marked but can't figure out where I put the project.

Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
I am interested in joining with all of you to finish up some I have. Hopefully the work of the income job will give me time to do some. If not, I can continue to challenge myself.

Thanks, Jill. And no, I won't tell you how many I have, I don't like to get slapped!

Madelyn

Posts: 6167 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
I am going to join in on this. I have lots of UFO's so will put them into one container so they will be easy to find when the project is selected.

Mary

Posts: 4011 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
... Oh crumedee dum dum ... I just found another WIP .. it's not even so far as to be a real UFO .. started a few blocks, and all the fabrics I'd selected are in a large zippered bag .. I may be sorry I said I'd do this!!! Or maybe I better quit digging around!

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9126 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
One of my contenders won't take long at all to finish, fact is, I don't know why I haven't finished it already. But I'm not going to double up on it, because I want to (at least once) experience that wonderful warm feeling of a project well done. Actually just done would be a rare feeling.

sing with me: feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelings, nothing more than feeeeeeeeeelings...

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8800 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post
Just saw this thread this morning. What a great idea! I am trying to get my life/apartment/workroom/etc. organized and this would be a big help. Oh, and I do have at least 6 UFOs to get finished. I would love to get them all done in 2014. Thanks for coming up with this idea!

LindaJ52

Posts: 2394 | Location: Clifton, IL, USA | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Linda - glad it's going to work out for you!!! Start thinking about your list!!! I'll look for it when I post the sign up in December!

Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
I've been reading this and enjoying everyone's comments.

I thought I'd just play along but not let anyone else know, but today I picked out 6 projects and am ready to make them known to everyone! Eek

Because of limited time and ambition after work a lot of mine I still don't think could be completed in a month. But I figure if I should finish what I have on the list I could work on someting else and be ready to list that in the next 6 months of this, if it continues!!!!

Let's face it, I'll never get everything done that I have purchased fabric for. But the good thing is now I don't have to purchase much and still have lots to work on.

OK, enough rambling for me. Thanks for listening! Smile

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/PattyannC/

Posts: 1760 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
I am definitely going to join in on this. And read the comments about the the one month time limit and getting the quilt project completely done in that amount of time. Just tossing out an idea that maybe you could consider having a longer time for only ONE of the projects.

Anyway which ever way it goes, I will be joining in. It will be my of my New Year resolutions

Mary

Posts: 4011 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to find 6 UFOs that I could finish within a month time frame-- hand quilting takes a lot longer than a month!

Posts: 1958 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to see a few more people are interested! I'm sticking to the original rules for the 6 month period. Having a longer period of time available for just one project won't really work for this type of challenge. You won't know which month you will be working on that particular project.

I might suggest putting items on your list that you can finish in a one month period. For example, I have a pineapple quilt that I walked away from. I know I could never get it done, so it's not going on the list! (Originally I thought that would be a quick quilt!!! LOL!)

If you are interested in this challenge I would encourage you to give it a try ! Everyone will be with you and cheer you on as you get finished or close to it! The worst thing that will happen if it doesn't get done is that your name won't go into the prize drawing. I hope people aren't overestimating the prizes!!! Smile

If there's still interest, we can continue for another 6 months and mix things up a bit. It's my first time hosting a challenge and I just want to see how it goes!

posted Hide Post
It's going to go fine, WQFC! There sure is a lot of interest in it and I for one are doing what you suggested.

I have many more than 6 UFOs! (I will not share what that total is!) As I'm sorting through them I'm keeping in mind the 4wk/month time period I'll have to finish them and choosing accordingly.

My list might have two smaller projects listed for one month too. I'm bad about starting something (like a runner or place mats) and then going on to something else before they're finished!
I'm looking forward to having a few gifts done ahead of time for 2014!

Posts: 2311 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
Malou, gifts???? not a chance, mine are going to be the ones for me that I haven't had a chance to finish! Others can buy their own gifts. LOL

Madelyn

Posts: 6167 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
This sounds like fun Jill! My studio has been moved upstairs this past week and everything's a disaster. But I will get it straightened out eventually.

Nothing like moving to find stuff you didn't even remember you had!Frown I found fabric I don't remember buying! Remember the Kaffe Fassett fabric I bought when you and I went to the quilt shop-just found it! And the other fabric I bought also-just found that. How long ago was that?? LOL!!

Geez, I have kits I made up and then forgot about them. What is WRONG with us??? Usually by the time I finish a large quilt-I'm so sick of looking at it and working on it I want to scream.

I totally empathize with everyone-guess we're all in the same boat!

Now you have me thinking about Mr. Rainbow's fudge and Malou's to die for toffee!!!!Smile

Pam

Posts: 5832 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pam - I DO remember that fabric. It's gorgeous!!! Sorry to say it, but I know it's probably been at least 3 years since we traveled San Antonio and I washed my hands with lotion! LOL! I had my old car and I've had my new one for over 2 years now!

I have (and use) Onstar now for all my navigation needs! LOL! That was a fun day! Smile

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
You have to come to my house in the month of Dec if you want fudge! Smile

Jill, l might have started an UFO last night. l didn't work on it tonight. Frown lt was suppose to be a quick lap quilt then l was going to start the "Oh, the places you will go" quilt.
Now, the rest of this week's plans have changed and next week l have to get started on that baby quilt! So, who knows when l'll be able to get back to it! :`(

======================

Posts: 9551 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rainbow...I'm sorry your plans changed. Maybe the UFO is the silver lining! I'll be there for fudge on Dec 1!!!

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Mike will have the fudge ready! Smile

======================

Picture of L.L.
posted Hide Post
okay - count me in..........

Posts: 2347 | Location: Alberta, Canada!!  | Registered: Mar 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Have mine almost all rounded up. Just need to put finishing parts with each. Can't wait. I'll probably jump the gun and finish 1 or 2! HA! The whole point. Smile

Have searched out 5 (of unnamed many) so far that will be easy to finish in a month. Just 1 more and I'm ready!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nancyc20,

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8800 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
I'll join too. It will be nice to have more storage in my stash closet. Smile

Posts: 3610 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Do you want us to send you a list so that it will keep us honest? (or to put it out in public so we have to do it, lol!) Smile

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

For donated quilts for the kids, check out the photos at
http://kc1930.blogspot.com/201...-pictures-below.html

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the thread I do spell it out. I will post an official thread in December. You will be signed up when you post your list of your projects. They should be numbered, one through six, with a short description of what needs to be done. No pictures are required for the sign up, but I'd like to see pictures of the finished project.

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I've gotten 5 together...Not sure what I want to do about the 6th...

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5114 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lori - I'd say join in with 5 if that's all you have. You might have to sit out the month that we do #6, but that's OK! You'll get 5 done!!!

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Lori, maybe someone could send you a UFO. Don't want you to be left out. LOL!

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I have figured out all six of mine and have a list attached to my work computer. I am having a craft day with my family in a few weeks and will be working on other UFO's there.

Posts: 2883 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't been on board much but this topic jumped out at me. Like so many others, I have bunches and I'll sort out 6 soon. I need the motivation and have many places the finished can go!

Posts: 837 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post