Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Do you have any UFO's that you want to finish in 2014?!!!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have any UFO's that you want to finish in 2014?!!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted
Hi – I’ve seen UFO challenges out in blogland and I was wondering if we would want to try one here on HGTV. If there is enough interest, I would host one beginning in January, 2014.
Who doesn’t have a few UFO’s? Wouldn’t it be great to get a few things finished in 2014?!! I think it would be fun to work on these and root for each other on along the way!!!

Here’s what I propose:

We start out with a list of 6 UFO’s which you will post on the sign up thread. *What is a UFO? Any quilty project you have started (must have some cutting or sewing done by you) as of the end of December.
Someone in my house will pick a random number between 1 and 6. Whichever number is selected, that is the UFO you will try and finish during that month.
Everyone that finishes their UFO before the last day of the month will be eligible to have their name entered into a drawing for a small prize. If it’s possible, we’d love it you could post a picture of the finished project. What constitutes done? Done is completely done, not just the top done. So this should mean quilting, binding, and labels on! In other words, completely done and ready to use, or give away. Since I borrowed this statement, I’m going to amend it a little and not make the label mandatory!
I started out small, since I’ve never hosted anything like this before. I'm happy to field any questions or suggestions! Thanks!
So, do we have any takers?!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Will Quilt for Chocolate,

Posts: 5033 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Love the idea. Now to make some UFOs!!! Big Grin

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9588 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
I would love to join in. I don't have any delusions of getting all six done but maybe a little push will help get me going. Now to find some UFOs that aren't king size tops.

Posts: 987 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure that I can come up with 6 UFOs that could be completed in a month! Smile

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I am sew in for this! I hope this will give me the push I need to get them finished...

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5148 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
Does it count if someone else does the quilting?

Posts: 3380 | Location: Soon to be NC | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like this! As DJ & Gonesewin said... it could be the push that makes me get UFOs out of tubs/boxes that have been there too long!
Angela... LOL! 6 in one month??!!
I'm already thinking about which 6 will be on my list!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
Is that question serious???? Do I have any UFO's I want to finish in 2014?? Really??? Maybe I can "scrounge up" 6 (or 12 or 20!!!) !!! Wink

I'm in! I've been trying to "force" myself to finish up a UFO in between each new quilt I start! It's actually helped reduce the number of my UFO's! Plus, it's been handy to have more of them finished so that they're ready as gifts for new babies and weddings!

pat

Posts: 5146 | Location: central ohio | Registered: Apr 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sounds like a great idea. Im sure there are ufos in my life. I will have to do some diging to find them

Posts: 397 | Registered: Nov 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sign me up! I probably have 26 or 36 to choose from lol. And I have only been quilting 5 years!

Jane_Kiwi

Posts: 1812 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! I'm not the only one!!!!! LOL! I think this is going to be fun! I'm excited...I think it's safe for me to shop for prizes! Smile

Missmommy - yes, I think it would still qualify if someone else quilts it. You're still doing the binding, right?

Angela - Yeah...I'm giving you 6 months to finish 6 ufo's! But, if you get all 6 done in the same month, there will be a special prize just for you! Wink You know I love ya!

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
finish n 2014???? I have UFOs I want to finish in 2013.
I might be in for this. Do all those baggies of swap blocks count as UFOs. I'm sure I have six of them.
missmommy: I sure hope someone else doing the quilting counts because I don't quilt (except for mugrugs)

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3644 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in! Since I hand quilt, I would have to give a thought of which UFOs I could finish in a month each though.

Posts: 1971 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
I was hoping 2013 was going to be my year to finish up some UFO's. Some are closer. Some tops are ready to be quilted. I know I can find some more UFO's, but I don't know about getting them done in one month. It would be one UFO per month, right? I'll have to see if I have anymore UFO's that close to being done. Or maybe I need to get some to that point between now and the first of the year.

In order to see the rainbow, first you must endure the rain.

Posts: 2829 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pegsami
posted Hide Post
And I thought I must be the only one !!!Sign me up--I NEED the push to get even one done--that would be wonderful in itself !!
Does this mean I'd have to give up my t shirt I bought at Keepsake Quilting that says "Queen of UFOs" ??

Variety & Contrast means BUY EVERYTHING

Posts: 1047 | Location: oregon | Registered: Jun 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I am in - I tried counting my UFO's and stopped at 80! They are not all quilting, some are other sewing or other crafts. I am really, really good at getting started, just need to figure out the finishing part. LOL

Posts: 2902 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
UFO's, I have those lol! Can I find six? Oh, yes and many more Smile. This is a great idea and hopefully enough of a push to get them out of the UFO category. I too sent my large quilts out for longarm quilting, but there is usually a wait to get them done. By the time I finish the piecing and then send it out, it is very unlikely I would have it back with in a month. Any suggestions?

Posts: 770 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
I'm in. I am so good at starting project, so bad at finishing them. I really want to declutter around my house, which includes my project room. This is a great way to get some things done (hopefully).

Posts: 768 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Musiclady
posted Hide Post
what a wonderful idea - count me in too.

I was just in my sewing room a few weeks ago looking at all my UFO's and promising myself that I would get busy and finish them. This just might be the incentive I need.

Thanks for the great idea and for being willing to host this.
Musiclady

Posts: 1119 | Registered: Aug 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
I'm in. I have more than enough UFO's and feel like I'm running out of life time in order to get them all done.

Posts: 5798 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjeannes
posted Hide Post
I would like to join in here.....I also have too many to count. Do you want pictures of the before and afters?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Posts: 1803 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Feb 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jill- what a neat plan. Are you doing one per month for 6 months or one every two months? I might talk Patty j into joining. She has a lot more UFO's than I do. LOL. Sue

Posts: 1594 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shey..
posted Hide Post
i'm with Fleur.. i send mine out to be long-armed too.. and depending on her backlog.. it's rare to get them back within a month...

but.. maybe this will at least force me to get them to.. a completed top stage.. with the month.. i realize that won't qualify for the "prize".. but for me.. getting that ufo/top done will be the prize.. Smile

shey..

my blog.. http://sheysstitchinmagic.blogspot.com/

"come hell .. come high water... you push on me.. i'm gonna push back harder... i got a whole lot more than a little bit left...

Posts: 3487 | Location: FL | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
I really only have 2 ufos. the first is the first quilt I made in quilt class, a 4 square quilt. When I find it, I will take it apart. No longer have the color wave anywhere in my house, tho it woulod be perfect for Jayardi, so not sure what I will do with it once I get it taken apart.

The second is a kaleidoscope type class I took and while I LOVED the fabric, there seemed to be a flaw in the printing of the red, so never was quite sure what to do about that. When the shop checked with the salesman, he said no, that is the way it should be, but I think that was the "company line" and it was incorrect.

So, no way I could join tho it would be a good way to get those done... Chris

Posts: 6230 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, I've finished over 20 UFO quilts (and more just waiting for binding!) in the last month to replace those lost in the house fire, but still have plenty of projects from swaps in boxes--count me in!

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

For donated quilts for the kids, check out the photos at
http://kc1930.blogspot.com/201...-pictures-below.html

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so excited by the response! I've been gone all day, shopping with a friend. I'll try and answer the questions that I can!

My original thought was that we would finish one UFO per month. I thought we would go 6 months and see how it goes. I quilt my own quilts and never gave a thought about how long it takes to send the quilt out to get it long armed.

I spent some time on Google looking at what other people have done. I'm not sure what to do about the issue but I'm wondering if 6 weeks instead of 4 would be enough time? I really didn't want to push it to one every 2 months. Still thinking about this...

A note to Chris (cksvett) - if you only have two, you could list them and do them along with us. At least you could get your name in the drawing a few times!

bjeannes - we don't need pictures of the before but I would love to see a picture of the completed project!

Since there is plenty of interest, I will start a thread in mid December. Everyone who would like to play along will post their list. I'll copy them and keep that in a word file.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Will Quilt for Chocolate,

Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
I have not jumped in on this one till now because I didn't think I could come up with 6. I always thought I finished a project before I started my next one. I totally forgot about all those things I start & lose interest in or can't find time to do. I tend to poke those things away & forget about them. Then this great challenge got me thinking & omg I can't believe the UFOs I have & never realized.

Posts: 5324 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I'm in the 30-40 category, many more, if you count needlework,dolls and other projects. My problem will be getting pictures on here...am using a borrowed computer at the moment...need a new car, TV AND computer. At least I have 2 machines to sew on!!! Thank goodness!!! Don't think I'll be sending any out to be quilted this year! I want to string along, but will know for sure when I get my own computer. I can keep checking in to see what's up. I've GOT to get some of these things finished!!! I'm turning some of them into charity quilts, so I've gotten 15 or so out this summer (see? when I don't have a car, TV or computer, I get stuff done!!!)

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8923 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
I have been making a diligent effort to get UFO's out and worked on. I have been reading Deb at Simple Life Quilts blog (she's on here as Simplelifequilts I think) and she started her blog a year ago with 101 UFO's and she is now down below 50. I will hopefully be joining in in December.

Posts: 377 | Location: Middle of the Mitten | Registered: Apr 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
At the moment I only have 2 UFO's that need to be completed. One is a Sunbonnet Sue quilt that belonged to my mother-in-law that now belongs to my DD. Almost all of the dresses on the blocks had completely fallen to pieces along with sashings. So a few years ago DD & I cut out the blocks that we could save & re-sewed them to make a smaller quilt. We are still working on that & I would love to get it completed in 2014. I have a King quilt that I'm making for myself but have lost interest as it's taking such a long time. I really need to get back to that & finish it. Other than those 2 I generally try to finish something before starting on another project.

Nicki

Posts: 8363 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
I might join in on this. Give me a push to get something finished. It would be a good New Year's resolution to make too.

Mary

Posts: 4040 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
This sounds really good to me. I have a bunch of UFO's waiting their turn to become a beautiful finished item.

Posts: 4450 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
I like the challenges that let you get things done or make without needing to send to others. Yes, I have a number of tops that need to be finished- All just need to be quilted, so this would be good for me.

Madelyn

Posts: 6193 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
I am in, i have many big, medium and small ones i get bored and move on to something else this will give me a push. I like that. Im sure i can find 6.

Posts: 438 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm excited by the interest in this idea! I am definitely going to order prizes!

I have done some research and thought about the issue with tops being sent out to the quilter. There are so many ways of doing a challenge like this. For the 6 months that I have planned, I'd like to stick with 'done-done completely done' definition.

At the end of the 6 months we could revisit the rules and maybe change it up. Those that may have tops ready could send them to the quilter now possibly too.

Around the middle of December, I'll post the sign up thread. I will post my list at that time. I will consider you signed up when you post your list with your six UFO's listed!

Picture of asimplelife
posted Hide Post
Yes I have UFOs, yes I'd love to finish them in 2014 and YES I'll join the challenge!

Thankfully as Quiltinana2 noted above I have less than I used to! I've averaged one UFO finish a week for the last year and it feels amazing to finally call myself a Finisher!

Posts: 1141 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: Apr 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Most of the UFOs I have are queen size quilt tops that I plan to eventually hand quilt. There is no way I could do one in a month. It will be fun to watch everyone's progress but I won't be officially participating. However, I do hope to get at least one of my tops quilted during your challenge.

Posts: 6613 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
I have my hand raised. I hope you plan on doing this for the next ten years. I believe if we finish one per month for that long, I might be close to finishing.

Does it have to be quilting? Can it be cross stitching or some other crafty project?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: warm buns,

Posts: 3632 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...just a thought ... not trying to butt in - but if we can get to the point it goes to the quilter in the given month - can we post a picture then, and then when we get it back (honesty here) post again to show it's done and bound .. that would still keep us in the 1 a month effort, working on something and still have the extra 2 weeks to get back the one we reported. Also I'm thinking of the cost of long arm quilters, no way I can do one of those every month!!!

My quilter works hard at doing quick turn arounds .. but he is fairly new on the market and doesn't have a huge clientel yet - but when he does, then the waits will get longer i'm sure, he is really a particular person, and does praiseworthy work.
I do quilt some of my stuff ..but not the bigger projects !!
Looking forward to your challenge .. thank you Smile

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9134 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sandie - as I mentioned before, I'm going to stick with my original definition of what will be considered done.

I think you can use any timetable that works for you. I know every participant will be happy to encourage you as you make progress on your UFO's! You might not make the drawing for the prize, but you'll have another UFO done! Smile

Warm Buns - Yup...gotta be a quilting project! You made me laugh though! Never thought of OTHER types of UFO's!

Picture of shey..
posted Hide Post
you know.. i was thinking.. warm buns.. i have plenty of cross stitch ufo's too.. maybe we can just pick out 6 and # them like we are with the quilting ufo's and what ever # she pulls for the quilting one.. we ALSO work on our cross stitch ones too during that time period.. no prize for those.. but that might force us to work on them.. (and as for finish on the cross stitch ones.. i just mean getting the cross stitch done.. and name and year.. not framing.. {no way i could afford 6 to be framed}.. ).. might be a thought for anyone else that has other UFO's to work on along with the quilting ones..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shey..,

shey..

"come hell .. come high water... you push on me.. i'm gonna push back harder... i got a whole lot more than a little bit left...

Posts: 3487 | Location: FL | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Susan-TN
posted Hide Post
I'd like to join in on this as well. I don't even want to think about how many UFO's I have, but I'm quite sure that I've got more than 6! LOL

Happy Stitching All!
Susan

Posts: 663 | Location: East TN | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I'm getting excited thinking about all the UFOs I'll "have" to do! (Oh yeah, I have cross-stitch, dolls and clothing to finish!!!)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nancyc20,

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8923 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see the progress that you guys make on your cross stitch! I'm sure everyone will cheer you along with it!

Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
Actually, I have 1 less UFO as of this afternoon! Had an unexpected wedding of a couple who had been together for 5 years and so I wanted to make them a quilt! Went into my UFO tote and found one to add borders to and quilt and bind! You can see it on the stashbuster's thread!

Don't worry, though- I'll still have plenty to finish for this monthly challenge!!

pat

Posts: 5146 | Location: central ohio | Registered: Apr 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's the name of the game! Good for you! I had a wedding pop up too! I don't have a top ready, but it will push a few more down the priority list!

Picture of shey..
posted Hide Post
jill... you gonna leave it at 1 a month then for the first 6 months anyway??..

if that's the case.. for those of you considering adding your cross stitch ufo's to this challenge too... i think if you figure on at least 1 hour to 1.5 hours a day (or a minimum of 7 hours a week).. that's almost 30-40 hours a week of dedicated cross stitching.. i think that's doable.. and think how much further along you'll be on your project with that much time in it.. i'm already picking out a few that i haven't worked on in forever for this challenge..

next is going thru all the quilting ones and figuring out which ones to work on...

??.. will it still count if i have the top done.. but i finally get it to the long arm quilter have it quilted and then i get it bound in time??..

shey..

posted Hide Post
Shey - yeah, for the first 6 months we'll do one project per month.

To answer your question, I would say, yes, that would count. In December you will post your list of 1-6. Lets say that the first number that gets chosen is #4. If you get #4 finished...bound and ready to go by the end of the month, then it will qualify for the drawing. If the quilter doesn't happen to get it done in time, we'll still be rooting for you, but the project just won't qualify for the drawing. we'd still love to see it!

posted Hide Post
This might be helpful...I thought I'd post an example of what might be my list. I stress might!

1. pink batik…add borders, quilt and bind
2 HGTV BOM…sew blocks together, quilt and bind
3. batik runners 1 and 2…quilt and bind both
4. Lease quilt…sew blocks together, quilt and bind
5. Country Threads BOM…sew blocks together, quilt and bind
6. baby donation quilt …sew blocks together, quilt and bind

Picture of asimplelife
posted Hide Post
I have UFOs from every craft I've ever tried... but I excel at creating quilting UFOs above all. I do plan to tackle the others once the quilting pile is tamed... in fact I'm thinking I'd like to finish some of my cross stitch UFOs into quilted items instead of paying the framing cost.

One thought for those of you with long arm projects... start getting them done NOW and off to your LAQ. Then you can put them on your list and all you'll have to is bind them!

I have participated in several online finish it up/UFO challenges this year and it is so much fun so I'm excited about having one on this board.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: Apr 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post