HGTV Message Boards
What color would you choose?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5894011632/m/4583995967

Apr 10, 2013, 04:32 PM
Inpiecesagain
What color would you choose?
This is my Bunny Hill Henrietta Whiskers quilt. Blocks have been sewn together, just having a problem deciding what color border. Any ideas?

Bunny Hill Quilt

Apr 10, 2013, 04:33 PM
Inpiecesagain
Wow! that's really big! Not sure how to size it down....sorry everyone!
Apr 10, 2013, 04:39 PM
Catwmn27
That is absolutely gorgeous. I love it. I personally would border it in black to really make it pop.
Apr 10, 2013, 04:46 PM
stm1804
I really don't have any useful advice on a border, but did want to say I really like your quilt top! Hope you will post a picture when you decide on borders and then again when the quilt is finished.
Susan
Also like your screen name!!
Apr 10, 2013, 04:55 PM
quilting wifey
Do you have some choices of fabrics available already? Try to lay them next to the edges in the size you want your borders. Some will scream to get out of the running but you might find the right one just walking by and seeing it.

Madelyn
Apr 10, 2013, 04:59 PM
Inpiecesagain
Great advice to lay several samples out, I usually just go with red, but I like the idea of black too! That would make it pop! Smile
I'll keep you all posted!
Apr 10, 2013, 05:49 PM
wildcatmom
I tried to help you out by re-sizing and enhancing the photo a bit...not sure what's happening with the yellow cast in the center, but think it might be a little easier to give suggestions if the photo isn't too far off now.
They look like thimbleberries or kansas troubles shading. I'd pick a narrow dark, then a favorite print. Audition whatever you have left.
Love it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wildcatmom,

whiskers

~karen Wave
Apr 10, 2013, 08:20 PM
Florida Farm Girl
My thought would be a green small border and then a larger one using the reddish color or even the print from that middle house on the bottom.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
Apr 10, 2013, 08:55 PM
patty j
Looks like a beautiful fall quilt. Nice colors and construction. TFS
I agree with a skinny first border and a little wider outside border with a print.

http://www.passion4sewing.com
Apr 10, 2013, 09:30 PM
KaylaQuilts
Here's another vote for black

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-
Apr 10, 2013, 10:58 PM
Shirlwin
Wow you have completed Henrietta Whiskers! I have saved all the blocks ... but ??
I like the idea of black, but would go for a narrow black border,and if I could find a nice 'autumn' print for the outer border. Please post a photo when you have finished it.
Apr 10, 2013, 11:31 PM
paus4quilts
It is such an active top, I'd go for a simple, dark, narrow border around the top. You could call it quits there but if you wanted to add a larger border around that, I'd go for a subtle fall (soft brown/tan) design.

Nice quilt!!!!

Sorry picture came out too large.

Just saw Shirlwin and I had the same idea....another GMTA!!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: paus4quilts,

Apr 10, 2013, 11:34 PM
paus4quilts
With second border

Apr 10, 2013, 11:35 PM
paus4quilts
Thanx, wildcatmom, for the smaller,clearer picture.
Apr 10, 2013, 11:36 PM
Marion2
My first thought was a dark green color, but depending on where it will be used, maybe a burgandy color??
Apr 11, 2013, 12:08 AM
Inpiecesagain
I just love this board!! All of you have been so helpful!! Wildcat mom, please teach me how to downsize my picture.....Smile
Shirlwin..You know Henrietta?! I actually one "scrap fabrics" from Bunny Hill last year and that was enough to do 3 quilts! My quilting friends and I have been working on these since I won the scraps! Such nice fabrics too!!
I like the idea of a skinny black, do you think a bit wider border of red would look good with it? I just don"t want it too dark. I like the idea of a wide tan border too, but I am so partial to red.
This will be hanging in my living room.
Thanks again everyone! As always...YOU ARE AWESOME!
Apr 11, 2013, 12:54 AM
wildcatmom
If you're partial to red, then that's what you should use...it's your quilt. Smile

I find my camera very helpful when trying to make choice for my projects. There's something about viewing a photo that makes it all clearer what I'll like best on my quilt. Try laying your quilt out where you can get a good photo, and lay strips of the fabric possibilities alongside, as if they were borders. Take photos of all the possibilities you come up with & you will be amazed at what you see in the photo, that you don't see just looking at the project.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wildcatmom,

Christmas twister

~karen Wave
Apr 11, 2013, 12:56 AM
paus4quilts
Depends on the red.

My thought is that you don't want the border to be shouting "look at me".

You could use a dark red as that smaller inner border, also. As always, the possibilities are endless.

Apr 11, 2013, 03:16 AM
Shirlwin
InpiecesagainSmile I saved all of the Henrietta blocks when 'published' but sorry to say have not yet made a start. It could be true to say I have lots of projects I must start ... the days are not long enough!!! [Only an excuse]
Apr 11, 2013, 03:35 AM
Kentucky_Sunshine
I like the idea of a narrow black border and either a autumn tonal print border or a deep cranberry red border...love the quilt to cute

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "
Apr 11, 2013, 07:21 AM
Shogun
Really cute quilt!
Apr 11, 2013, 07:37 PM
Inpiecesagain
The red I have is similar to the red background on the house block, not as much pattern on it though.
Wildcat mom Thank you for sharing with me how to crop the pictures so they look nicer, I took that photo with my phone so hopefully it will be easier to size with my camera.
Shirlwin....I know what you mean about having too many projects and not enough time! I went through a box of projects that I wanted to do,and most have the fabrics with them that I want to use too. So I put each project with the fabric in a large ziplock bag and have them sitting in a basket that is very visible. I'm hoping that it will help me to not buy more but finish what I have. My goal is to have an empty basket...SOMEDAY! haha We'll see how that works...
Apr 11, 2013, 09:56 PM
littlemama
I like the shade of blue...it is not navy but a brighter blue. Also like the idea of 2 borders. Great job!!!
Apr 12, 2013, 08:06 PM
cksvett
Would use a thin black border to stop the eye and then whatever you like for the other border if you need it larger. If not I would go with a black binding or dark brown or another dark color not in the quilt.

Great quilt so far... Chris