Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Can we do a revisit on string quilts please?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can we do a revisit on string quilts please? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Kim - Strut526
posted
elsie123 is planning on adding to one to make it bigger, doing stitch and flip or QAYG. I showed her my favorite that i did, (this orange one).
I have to find our dear Talia's pink/white one with hearts for her to see.
So, if ya have a favorite to share..post it here! Smile

Posts: 11812 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ithinkisew AKA Talia
This was done in 2007 i believe.
"Angel Kisses" was the pattern..

Posts: 11812 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this Kim! I'd love to see several string quilts and get some inspiration. Right now I'm thinking of 12" finished blocks in a 4x5 setting, QAYG, and borders. Not sure what layout to use. May have to go bigger.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: elsie123,

Posts: 1410 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
your welcome!

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Goodie, goodie! I do love these shows. Here's the one I finished this month. I love them all!

Posts: 7287 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
Love em!! strings and rags are my favorites!! I have a couple started Smile

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8925 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
this is one I made in a swap with some of you ladies. this is one of my favorite quilts.

patsy

Posts: 3480 | Registered: Sep 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shey..
posted Hide Post
this is one of my favorites... my batik ocean string quilt.. done with blocks from a CYOC string block swap and many many more of my own..

shey..

my blog.. http://sheysstitchinmagic.blogspot.com/

"come hell .. come high water... you push on me.. i'm gonna push back harder... i got a whole lot more than a little bit left...

Posts: 3475 | Location: FL | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nice show! native Texan did one she called "odd orange" i love the black and orange together..hopefully she will see this

Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
I did this one from a kit...remember the nudge you gave me to get it done, Kim?!!

Posts: 4985 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Aqua would look awesome in my DD's home. My scrapbuster group is woking on spiderweb string quilts next month. This inspires me to get more strings cut. Scrappy is best!

posted Hide Post
I did this one from a CYOC string swap.

posted Hide Post
ok thease are amazing. Question do you plan the quilt out or is it ramdon sewing

Posts: 392 | Registered: Nov 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Here's the only one I've made.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6515 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is one of mine from a CYOC swap - the only one I have the top finished. Still needs quilting.

Posts: 280 | Location: Texas | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I think the joy of these quilts is playing with the layout after squaring up the blocks. The pink and brown one is awesome with that bright square in the center. I wanted mine to have rounds of lights and darks but after I finished it I realized I should have done more purples because I really love them and they barely show in my wallhanging.

Anyone have a spiderweb string quilt to show? There's one in a current magazine done is black and oranges for Halloween. Cute idea for a holiday wallhanging.

posted Hide Post
I am currently renewing my interest in strings, My two favorite quilts I have made are my shabby strings and my ocean batik strings. I have so many blocks in my sewingroom, and seem to have to urge to piece more!

Love the pictures! They are all very pretty. This is one I made from a bright string swap.

Brandy
~There are pawprints on my heart.~
www.prairiepawsrescue.com

Posts: 5095 | Location: North Dakota! | Registered: Jul 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my ocean string batiks, one of my very favorite. Nobody is allowed to take off the banister, yet. Inspired, or stolen from, Shey.Wink

Brandy

Posts: 5095 | Location: North Dakota! | Registered: Jul 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Brandy! Love them both! Aqua & purple is awesome!
Evelyn

Picture of SDgranny
posted Hide Post
Beautiful quilts. Thanks for the show.

sdgranny
www.picturetrail.com/sdgranny
So much fabric-so little time

Posts: 826 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: Apr 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a little one for my nephews Kitty.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 10058 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Here is one Sue and I made a few years ago. It is called the Fabric Fling. Way colorful. We had a blast making this.

Posts: 8032 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
They all look terrific. I like how they can be planned to give a design, or totally scrappy, or scrappy with a plan. All are great. I've decided I need to make mine to be 4x6 squares instead of 4x5 to get the look I want. I've got 7 more to make. At least my scrap bag should go down a bit. Smile

Posts: 1410 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love that fabric fling! And the kitty quilt too, I think my kitties might need quilts! Wink

Brandy

Picture of Cr8tve1
posted Hide Post
here is one I got from a crafty BOM last year. I still haven't sewn them together yet.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA USA | Registered: Apr 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cr8tve1
posted Hide Post
Here are twin baby quilts I am currently doing for my nephew and his wife twins.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA USA | Registered: Apr 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tinbren - I'm not sure if anyone answered your question, but I would say yes...and no! Some strings are just scrappy and random. They look great!

My brown and teal was a kit. My brown and pink was from a Choose Your Own Color string block swap, so the color was planned. Everyone states the colors they want in their string blocks. One of then people in my swap got the preferences switched, but it ended up being a blessing. I love the bright pink in the middle of the quilt. I put that one on point, but I don't do them all that way.

Picture of ekbuckeye
posted Hide Post
As lotto block chairman for my guild, I chose string blocks and gave everyone either a black or white center strip. Some of them actually used scrap strings while others had to have symmetrical and matchy. After all the grumbling, they loved them in the end, especially after I pinned several on the wall.

I'm making a bunch of RWB string blocks for QoV. Quick question, how's the best way to quilt string blocks - in the ditch, all over, tied?

Just want to add that no matter the colors, these are fabulous quilts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ekbuckeye,

Ellen

"Wishing you sunshine and blessings"

Posts: 2291 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: May 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaribbeanQuilter
posted Hide Post
EvelynB. Yours takes my breath away!
This is from one of CBQ's wonderful swaps, done in winter holiday colors.
Now working on my Shabby Chevron from last swap's blocks

Posts: 541 | Registered: Jul 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love all these! Beautiful! I have never made one. I printed out a photo of a denim/blue jean one I saw on a blog that I want to replicate some time. I have a stack of jeans in all shades of blue to make one.
Thanks for everyone for posting these inspiring photos.

Rondi

Posts: 1552 | Location: winchester,ky | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ok Lace Angel, how did you make this one? with the wavy edges?
Loving all these pictures! makes me want to dig my noodles/strings out and make one!

Will Quilt for Chocolate Smile big thumbs up!

tiny one for the kitty May?! lol awesome!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kim - Strut526,

posted Hide Post
i have to show you native Texans "odd orange" .

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I'm a native Texan but you won't see orange and white here. We're strictly black and red for Texas Tech. However black with lots of oranges would be fun for Halloween.

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
wow they are all so pretty. like an explosion in a skiddle factory. thanks for sharing ladies.

patsy

Posts: 3480 | Registered: Sep 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
Love em.Jill your color combo and layout WOW but I have to say my favorite of all time is the one Royalboomer did in YWB,it's on my leaky bucket list Smile

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8925 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I had to dig for this...love all the quilts

Posts: 9526 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Reba, that's so clever! Don't have to make many either. Glad you dug it up.

posted Hide Post
Jacky - I do remember that quilt and have always liked it too!

Evelyn - at least the orange in that quilt is bright orange and not burnt orange! Wink

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
EvelynB: that is all Laurel Burch with just a few exceptions. It went to my friend's new adopted Guatama*lan daughter who loved all the bright colors. It was the right choice.

Posts: 9526 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Laurel Burch is a great choice! Nice job. It's amazing that small strips can have such an impact.

I'd like to make one with lots of navy and brown adding some teal. My DD has a lot of those colors in her bedroom suite.

Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
Lovely quilts! All of them are beautiful. This is my strings quilt I did out of 30s fabric. I used a higher loft batting that I had on hand and it gave it the wrinkled look but I like it. I wish I had made it bigger but it fits on the top of my bed just fine. Nice for the summer months as it is easy to kick off when too warm.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2312 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
This is a Christmas string quilt that i did from a swap a few years ago. I have since put on a red border but it isn't quilted yet.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2312 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twostep
posted Hide Post
Made for Fr. Casey when he moved to another Parish.

Posts: 6786 | Location: Bubbleland | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twostep
posted Hide Post
See the aqua heart for ovarian cancer

Posts: 6786 | Location: Bubbleland | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twostep
posted Hide Post

Picture of Twostep
posted Hide Post
I didn't make this one ... I only quilted it for Wounded Warriors

Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
Here's a shabby chic one that I made for my aunt. Thanks for sharing all of these, especially Talia's hearts.

Posts: 3584 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I can't even pick a favorite. I like them all. I hope in November when our CYOC swap is done, I can find this to look at the options.

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
I must be getting old, 'cause I don't remember seeing many of these string quilts. They are all unique and beautiful. Even the shabby chic one is cute and that is not my color pallet.
Thanks to all for sharing. Has anyone done a black and white one?? Wonder what that would look like??
Elsie123... Nope your stash isn't going to go down, I think those strings multiply in the dark. LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patty j,

Posts: 8032 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Great show - I'll add some of mine from the swaps here

This is the one I'm working on now. I do have it sandwiched but the quilting is not done yet. The picture is just the top....from the last swap.

Posts: 6566 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post