Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Sylvia Bridal Sampler Sew Along - Thread #12
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sylvia Bridal Sampler Sew Along - Thread #12 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Wrenegade - Is it possible to do one in shabby chic fabrics?
... Sure. Whatever fabric appeals to you.

Anael7621 – won the Elm Creek Quilts Pin!
... CONGRATS! I stopped sending in pictures to that forum last year. Just got so far behind in sending them in.

Char and Pegsami - glad you're both still working on this project. It is a long one!

Posts: 8137 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
I got the pin, it's a beauty!
Finally made one block! I told myself not to start another project till I finished all Sylvia blocks!

Posts: 1105 | Location: Europe (The Netherlands) | Registered: Jan 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Anael, nice colors in the block.

Mine is still sitting pinned waiting for cooler weather to start quilting it.

HELP! Can someone scan J4 (Maple Leaf) pp pattern and send to me. I lent a friend my book and she can't find it! I have a project that I want to make that leaf for. Appreciate it. Let me know and I'll pm you my email. THANKS.

Posts: 8137 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
ttt

Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
If you're still needing this, I can help.

~karen Wave

Posts: 3264 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer, but I worked around it.

Took a picture of my block, scanned, re-sized, printed and traced off a couple pp patterns to use. How's that for getting what you want when you want it .. not something I like taking time to do - but the job is done.

Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
Good, sorry I didn't catch this earlier...if your book stays missing, I have a folder with the files saved already. Not positive they'll work perfectly for paper piecing, but should be good as any scan would be.

~karen Wave

Posts: 3264 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
Wow! I'm blown away!! The blocks are knock down gorgeous!!

I like Chars suggestion of making up kits. Then you don't have everything spread out everywhere like I tend to do!

I'm planning on starting my blocks this winter. Probably machine. To hand piece is beyond me! I really don't know if I'm capable of making these complicted blocks, although I can needle turn applique and rather like it.

You ladies have really outdone yourselves. I had planned on making mine with reproduction prints. But after seeing all the beautiful colors-I like scrappy too!

PamSmile

Posts: 5869 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charmingsister
posted Hide Post
It is nice to see this thread surface again. Some of those blocks are crazy, crazy to do. I look back and say, whew, did I do that? Some I also chose not to do. Mine is an abbreviated version as I was pretty selective about the blocks I did. Never the less, it was a challenge and I'm glad that I did what I did, and was equally glad to be done with it. Smile

Posts: 2592 | Location: now in the sunshine | Registered: Oct 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Elaine, I didn't see your post. I'm glad you managed to work around it. If you need anything else, just PM me.

Posts: 1105 | Location: Europe (The Netherlands) | Registered: Jan 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
It has been so long since I worked on this, I don't even know what I have done. Will have to check to see what I have done.

Mary

Posts: 4040 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
I finally made a block! Here it is.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
That's beautiful, love the colors. How many do you have left - can't be many..

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Thanks Elaine! I don't know how many I've left, I have to count them. Will do that later today, I would love to know myself too Big Grin

Picture of char77
posted Hide Post
Anael~ you make such GORGEOUS blocks!!!

Char

Posts: 3653 | Location: michigan | Registered: Sep 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Thank you Char Big Grin

Picture of luvthosequilts
posted Hide Post
So fun to watch everyone's progress on this! I love the pictures beautiful work! I have the book and have a wonderful FQ selection for the blocks I just don't have the b/g...
I just found a sale on what I have been looking for...can someone please post the yardage for the B/G fabric? thank you in advance....

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

Posts: 4510 | Registered: Feb 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of char77
posted Hide Post
The book says 10 yards - including 2-1/2 yards for sashing and the inner border

Char

Posts: 3653 | Location: michigan | Registered: Sep 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
I made two blocks today but I'm having problems with Paint so I have to post them in 2 separate posts!

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
and here;s the second block. It looks a bit weird but once in the quilt it will be ok!

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
I made two more today. Just counted, 20 to go. So the end is near Big Grin
Here's the first

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
and the second

Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
Anael, your blocks are very pretty. Your quilt is going to be beautiful. I have a quilt top I'm putting together and then I hope I can get back to some of these blocks. I think I'm a little over half finished and I have some cut and ready to sew.

In order to see the rainbow, first you must endure the rain.

Posts: 2829 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Thank you Meme! I do have lots of other projects too and tempted to start new ones. But today I made the decision to finish the Sylvia blocks first before I can start a new project. I do have some of the more difficult blocks left and I found out I hate needle turn applique so I think I'm going to use fusable stuff and machine applique. It's a sampler, isn't it? So I can use several techniques Big Grin

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Anael, those are beautiful blocks.

Meme quilts, half done is pretty good. Don't forgot to post your blocks for our enjoyment.

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
This is the latest block. Even with foundation piecing it was hard to match all the seams, I didn't succeed Frown But I'm ok with it.

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Oh well this one needs a lot of adjusting but I'm ok with it.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Anael - wow - those blocks are beautiful. Can't wait to see this quilt top.

So you're down to 18 to go! Getting there.

Picture of Charmingsister
posted Hide Post
Anael,

Wow, very pretty blocks. You sure have been busy on these.

Posts: 2592 | Location: now in the sunshine | Registered: Oct 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Today I made the Dresden Plate. I never did that block before and I was a bit scared but I think it turned out ok.
I'm hoping to finish my Sylvia blocks soon, I'm working on it Big Grin

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
And the next one: Jack in the Pulpit. 14 to go Big Grin
Some of them I don't like, some of them are applique which I don't like either!

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
And the next one. I could have done a better job on this one but I'm not doing it again. Once in the quilt no one will notice Big Grin
This is Spinning Hourglass

Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
just beautiful, Anael!!! You are definately on the home stretch.Big Grin
Took the handpiecing class at COF, that should help me with mine....which is barely begun.

~karen Wave

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Thanks Karen! Good luck with your blocks, please show us what you've done! I love to see pictures Big Grin

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Your blocks are just beautiful. Waiting to see all those beautiful colors in the final quilt.

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Thanks Elaine! I'm waiting too Big Grin Big Grin
Still don't know what colour sashing/borders!

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Did I tell you my DDIL is pregnant again? Last Monday they found out they're going to have triplets!!!! So I'm busy Big Grin
These are 2 sheets I made yesterday.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Adorable! You might want to post them separately from this thread so others will see them. Don't know how many look into this topic.

How's Sylvia doing? Still haven't picked up mine to start quilting. So many other items in the 'to do' line first.

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Thanks Elaine!

Sylvia is doing fine, no blocks added though. I didn't have time to make some. I will try next week to work on the blocks!

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Finally I made a block! Here it is.

Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
Nice block!!! One of these days I will get back to working on this. If I ever get it all put together, that would be one more mess cleaned up in my quilt studio.

In order to see the rainbow, first you must endure the rain.

Posts: 2829 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Anael another beautiful block. Glad to see you are plugging away at it. It's quite an undertaking.

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Thanks Elaine and yes, it is! I'm down to 13 to go but they're the ones with lots of work. The applique ones and I don't like needle turn so I think I might fuse them, still not sure. And a few with lots of parts Frown and no foundation piecing. Oh well, let's just say it's good for practicing my piecing skills Big Grin

Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
Just happened to see this thread. Beautiful work all of you. I have this book, I bought it because I liked the picture on front. Now seeing all your pictures makes me want to do it.

Posts: 537 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
It's a lot of work PatriciaAnne but it's really worth it. I learned a lot making these blocks. If you decide to start, please share your pictures with us, we love to see them!

I joined an online BOW group of Lynda DeTray but we're almost finished. I don't know if she's starting another group.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Anael7621,

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Yes, I made a block Big Grin

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Great fabric and block.

I've thought of pulling out the quilt to start doing the SID by hand - but it's just been a thought so far.

Anyone else find time to work on their project?

Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
I love seeing these blocks. Maybe I need motivation....lol

And it is winter, time to quilt!

Posts: 416 | Location: Shapleigh, Maine | Registered: Jul 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
Another one, this will be it for now!
I had a hard time matching all the seams and points and it doesn't always match but I'm very happy this one is done!

Picture of char77
posted Hide Post
more beauties Anael!!

Char