Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Sylvia Bridal Sampler Sew Along - Thread #12
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sylvia Bridal Sampler Sew Along - Thread #12 Sign In/Join 
Picture of San
posted Hide Post
great job.. they are all pretty..

Hugs, Waves, Smiles, & Prayers

God bless you all and may sunshine always be in your lives to brighten your days..

San

Posts: 4227 | Location: OR | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Oh, beautiful - love the fabrics/colors.

Posts: 8198 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
I replaced F2 Fools Puzzle. I didn't get the curved pieces right so I decided to go an easier way. I know the center points don't match but it's ok with me Big Grin

Posts: 1105 | Location: Europe (The Netherlands) | Registered: Jan 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Neat block. So does this mean you have all the blocks done now?

Posts: 8198 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Nooooooo I wish! Still have 9 to go. I decided to do machine applique instead of needle turn. Might be a problem with the smaller pieces but I really don't like needle turn so that's why those blocks still are waiting to be done.

Posts: 1105 | Location: Europe (The Netherlands) | Registered: Jan 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
I made Queen Charlotte's Crown but I'm not very satisfied with the block. The points don't match and at one point the block is almost 6 3/4 ". I will see what I'm going to do with it. Here it is.

Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
Hi from the cheerleading section!!!

Beautiful blocks ladies! Elaine yours is drop dead gorgeous-what a woman you are!!!

Someday I will get back to mine-don't know when. So little time and too much to do!

PamSmile

Posts: 5901 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anael- I have been following your Sylvia blocks and they look mighty fine to me. Keep up the good work. Sue

Posts: 1610 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Thank you Sue, you're very encouraging! I'm near the end now and it seems hard to finish.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
SusanJ93 - are you continuing to work on your Sylvia's Quilt?

Anael - frustrating isn't it when those points and size just don't want to cooperate. If the extra 1/4" is in the HST corner - that should be easily trimmed down. If you decide not to redo, in the overall huge quilt only you will know the points don't match - and besides - it makes your quilt unique. Like the block

NICUNurse - thank you. I kept saying it was going to come out and the quilting was going to start this winter. Don't know where the time is going. Maybe if I put it next to my chair instead of the closet it will keep saying "start me".

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
NICNurse, thank you! We do need our cheerleaders! Without them I wouldn't post my blocks here!

Elaine, you're right. Nobody will know but me. I tried to trimm dowm the block but I had to cut off fabric where I can't so I will keep it as it is.
I admire you, doing the quilting by hand! Even without having started Big Grin

Picture of char77
posted Hide Post
Back at it again LOVE hockey season so I can sit and stitch. Finished F6 Album this week

Char

Posts: 3653 | Location: michigan | Registered: Sep 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Char, that's a gorgeous block! Great you're back at it again!

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Nice block Char. Good to see someone else still working their quilt.

posted Hide Post
Great blocks everyone! What a lot of continued work you are all doing! Will be beautiful quilts!

Posts: 3575 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of char77
posted Hide Post
one more block done this week - geez it's only been what - 3/4 years that i've been working on this the quilt that keeps on giving

Char

Posts: 3653 | Location: michigan | Registered: Sep 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Lovely block Char!

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Char, glad to see another block done. Yes, this definitely is a quilt that keeps on giving.. Smile

posted Hide Post
Nice blocks everyone. How many more need to be done to complete a quilt? Keep them coming. Sue

Posts: 1610 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of char77
posted Hide Post
sister sue - i'm not even at the 1/2 way point yet, but I'm darn close! 70+ more to go Smile

Char

posted Hide Post
WOW!! That is a lot of blocks to do. Do they all go in one quilt??. Keep quilting. Sue

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Yes Sue, there are 140 blocks in this quilt.

posted Hide Post
Anael- I will keep looking for finished blocks. 140 are a ton of blocks to do, but keep up the good work. All the blocks look great. Sue

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Yes Sue, it's a ton of blocks but it is great to do them. I only have 8 left and I can't seem to get back to it due to the family problems. My head is not into a bridal sampler Frown

Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
Anael, give it a little time and you will get back into it. Just think, you have 132 done and only 8 more to go. I'm still stuck at the half way point. I really would like to get some more done on this, but with 70 or so to go I would have to do 6 blocks a month to finish in a year. I keep most of my blocks hanging in my quilt studio hoping I find the inspiration and time to make a few more blocks. You'll make it.

In order to see the rainbow, first you must endure the rain.

Posts: 2836 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of char77
posted Hide Post
one more down!
F10 Aunt Sukey's Choice

Char

Picture of char77
posted Hide Post
and F8 Ladies' Aid Album (not pressed yet)

Char

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Char, your blocks are beautiful! I love the colours. Well done!

posted Hide Post
Char, you just keep turning out blocks. They are all looking so good. I know you have a lot to do, but keep posting , because i keep looking for them. Great job. Sue

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
I did make a few too.

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
and this one

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
and the last one

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Char and Anael.. Great Blocks!! Anael really like your last two.. beautiful.

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Here's the one I made today. It's not perfectly straight but it's ok with me!

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Wow, another pretty block. This is going to be one beautiful quilt.

posted Hide Post
Anael- each block looks better than the previous block. Hard to choose which one I like best. I am enjoy watching the blocks being posted. Keep up the good work. Sue

Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
Rah-rah ree, you girls are the bees knees!!

Hey am I the only cheerleader here??

I love all the blocks! Char you keep going-you're doing a great job!!

I think we are all our own worse critic! If you can't see it from a galloping horse-YOU'RE GOOD!!

PamSmile

Posts: 5901 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of char77
posted Hide Post
Anael~ I cannot WAIT to see your quilt! I love the colors and fabrics you're using.

I had to take my machine to the shop this week, so I'm working on more blocks and knitting. Smile Don't know why - i'm just into doing things by hand lately. (shhh don't tell DH - his quilt is not getting done while i'm doing these blocks and knitting )

Char

Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
Love seeing all the beautiful blocks! You have convinced me to start one. My stratagy is to do all the hard ones (ie:applique) first and get them out of the way. Hopefully that doesn't end up dicouraging me but I'm thinking then I can look forward and enjoy doing the easier ones.
Thanks for sharing and convincing me to go for it! Don't know when I will get started though????

Posts: 544 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by char77:
...... Don't know why - i'm just into doing things by hand lately. (shhh don't tell DH - his quilt is not getting done while i'm doing these blocks and knitting )

Smile

There aren't enough hours in the day. I really need to start doing some practice pieces of hand quilting so I can pick up this project that keeps being unearthed in the pile.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PatriciaAnne:
.....You have convinced me to start one. ....

That's great. When you do get started, don't forget to show us your blocks.

posted Hide Post
I love seeing all the blocks which have been done and look forward to seeing more. Keep up the good work. Sue

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Anael, that appliqued heart block is very pretty.
Sister Sue has been watching you ladies and makes sure that I know when some more blocks are done. What an amazing quilt you ladies are going to have when it is done!!! 140 blocks seems intimidating to me. How do you go about starting? Choosing colors? Style of fabrics? I can see that this one woud take a while to finish. Pattern in a book??? Just keep putting one stitch in front of another and you'll all get it done. Pat

Posts: 8219 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of char77
posted Hide Post
pattyj~ I fell in love with the quilt once I read the book by Jennifer Chaverini (sp). She had a website and had posted all the patterns and pics of the original quilt. She now has a book published with all of the patterns and several photos of quilts made by people all over the world. Here is the link to the website : http://elmcreek.net/books/sylv...rom-elm-creek-quilts

I personally went with scrappy backgrounds and the country/colonial colors because that's what fits with my house. I figured that if a bunch of women were to make blocks to send in, that they would be scrappy quilts.

If I had to do it over again, I would use the same background throughout, but i'm pretty happy with how it's coming so far.

Thanks for all the cheerleading!

Char

Picture of char77
posted Hide Post
finished 2 more blocks this week

Char

Picture of char77
posted Hide Post
and

Char

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Again, beautiful blocks Char!

Picture of cuilteanna
posted Hide Post
I am really looking forward to seeing both of your quilts laid out! The blocks are beautiful.

Posts: 999 | Location: Baile Átha Cliath | Registered: May 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cuilteanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patty j:
How do you go about starting? Choosing colors? Style of fabrics? I can see that this one woud take a while to finish. Pattern in a book??

Some of us didn't think or plan ENOUGH about it when we started (pointing at myself here). Luckily with that many blocks it just looks decent anyway.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cuilteanna,

Posts: 999 | Location: Baile Átha Cliath | Registered: May 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Char.. more neat blocks. You're moving right along.

cuilteanna...so are you doing a quilt? Would love to see your blocks.