Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Sylvia Bridal Sampler Sew Along - Thread #12
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sylvia Bridal Sampler Sew Along - Thread #12 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Here's D5 Squares and Stars

Posts: 1104 | Location: Europe (The Netherlands) | Registered: Jan 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shey..
posted Hide Post
i have a couple of quick questions.. a couple of friends and myself are thinking of doing this quilt.. as a very long term project...

am i corrected that the blocks are all 6" (finished)... 6.5" (unfinished)??.. and is it necessary to have a common background for them??.. i was *thinking*.. i'd like to do all very light (sand colour) batik backgrounds for mine.. (i want to use my batik scraps for this quilt.. as i have a ton of them from my batik ocean quilt).. would that work??..

and someone mentioned an Excel file.. what is that for and how do you use it??.. (puter dummy here.. lol)

tia..

shey..

my blog.. http://sheysstitchinmagic.blogspot.com/

"come hell .. come high water... you push on me.. i'm gonna push back harder... i got a whole lot more than a little bit left...

Posts: 3475 | Location: FL | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
In the book (on which this quilt is based) , all Sylvia's friends make squares for her quilt, thus, none have the same backgrounds. So, I see no reason you would have to have the same background, people just choose that. This is a great quilt, but lots of work. I am in awe of those who have finished (Elainetoo) and impressed by those whom are working on her second!

Go for it Shey!

Someday, I will start mine again, I have forty or so done.....

Posts: 407 | Location: Shapleigh, Maine | Registered: Jul 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Shey, like Stillsuzzz said, you can use your batiks.
I use Excel for keeping track of my blocks. I import the pictures into the excel file.

Stillsuzzz, why don't you make some more blocks? Smile You only have to make about 100 more Big Grin

Here's my next one: Dutchman's Puzzle.

Posts: 1104 | Location: Europe (The Netherlands) | Registered: Jan 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
You are a funny girl, Anael! My mother and I were just discussing making some more Sylvia blocks. We do love them.

I am involved in a scraps challenge right now, but might be able to squeak one or two out.

But yours are perfection, maybe I am intimidated?

Posts: 407 | Location: Shapleigh, Maine | Registered: Jul 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
No no no, don't be, mine aren't perfect, far from!!!
So make those blocks Smile I would love to see them!

Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
Shey, I started my quilt several years ago. I still have only a little more than half done. Since Sylvia's quilt was from different individuals I wanted mine to be truly scrappy too. None of my blocks have the same background and I've tried to not repeat fabrics. I do have a couple of repeat fabrics though. I hope to someday soon get back to making a few more blocks. I have most of my finished ones put together with sashing and hanging in my quilt studio so I can look at them anytime I want and to try to keep colors in mind when I do get a chance to work on a new block.

In order to see the rainbow, first you must endure the rain.

Posts: 2829 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shey- I hope you and your friends join us. I have just started about 3 weeks ago and have about 6 done. I still need to post my last 3 and will continue to work my way through the book. Please join and post pics. My blocks are not perfect but do give you a real challenge. Just have fun with it. Sue

Posts: 1559 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are some of my blocks
Barrister's Block K 9 done on 7/29/2013 Sue

Posts: 1559 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is Children's Delight B 4 done 8/05/2013 Sue

posted Hide Post
This is Card Trick N 2 done 8/05/2013 Sue

posted Hide Post
Anael- I am loving your latest blocks. Very pretty. Sue

Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
Here's one done with two colors of sashing, very cool........and not matching background!

http://www.quiltersclubofameri...39_3B00_s_2D00_3.JPG

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Yes, more eye candy Smile Beautiful blocks! That barrister one is not an easy block, you did very well! I love your colour choices!

The quilt with two colours sashing is gorgeous, good idea to do it that way. I still have to decide on sashing for my frist Sylvia with no matching background either Big Grin

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Now that Sister Sue is doing these blocks, I'll be checking in more often. She needs me to cheerlead. Glad she found something nice to use up her gold/black stash. She has more than a person could use in a lifetime. LOL
Anael, nice looking blocks. They are so colorful
Sue, I'm happy to see you made the card trick block, good job. Now when can I see them??

Posts: 8036 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patty, thanks for the compliment. I just finished 3 more. First is Chimneys and Cornerstones. G 4 Sue

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sister sue,

posted Hide Post
Here is my second one- Chinese Coin A9 Sue

posted Hide Post
This is Churn Dash- K 3- Sue

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Wow, Sue they sure look pretty. Can't wait to see them in person on Wed. Pat

Posts: 8036 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Wow Sue! You're moving right along...I like that gold & black color scheme Smile

Posts: 4647 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Great blocks Sue! The black and gold scheme is beautiful.

Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
Ok, made a Dutchman's puzzle this morning after my mother brought me some pretty fabric with fuchsias on it. I will try and do one more today! And then back to the scrap challenge....

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Oh that block is beautiful and the fabrics are gorgeous!

Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
They are lovely fabrics. My mother buys nothing but the best!

Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
And an easy one. Again, thanks Mom, for the lovelies!

Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
And there is no way I could ever get 13 done in one day! I am WAY too OCD. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
stillsuzzz- love your color combination. Your blocks are looking great. Thanks everyone for the compliments. I am going to continue with the black and gold theme for now. Sue

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
stillsuzzz, do you think your Mom would adopt me?
The new block is beautiful too!

Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
Anael and Sister Sue, you guys have inspired me to work on my Sylvia again, along with my mother and lovely fabric.

Don't think my mom needs any more kids, she has seven, but.....she is generous!

I love seeing all the different Sylvia quilts. I am jealous of people who have one finished!

posted Hide Post
Stillsuzzz, I agree with you. Maybe someday we will also have ours done. Here is Clays Choice. N 3. Sue

posted Hide Post
TTT- I need to get back to making more 6 inch blocks. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to get some done. LOL Sue

Picture of SusanJ93
posted Hide Post
Love everyone's blocks. I'm still slowly working on my Sylvia.....am on block #45 now.

Posts: 45 | Location: South Central Ohio | Registered: Aug 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
Sue you doing very well with your blocks.
I need to get back to mine again.

Posts: 519 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
And another great block Sue!

I made two replacements. Yesterday I purchased the Loyal Union Sampler Quilt book and I'm going to use some of those blocks for my Sylvia.
Here's New Hampshire

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
and the second one is Granny's Favorite

posted Hide Post
Anael- love your 2 new blocks. Should look good with all your green and blue blocks. Thanks for sharing. Sue

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
The last one for today: Beacon Lights, also a Loyal Union block. Looking at all the blocks I just might add some pink to the quilt. What do you think?

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Or yellow? The first Sylvia has quite some pink too so they won't be very different I'm afraid!

posted Hide Post
Nice block. Anael, I would add yellow as a beautiful compliment to the blues and greens. Sue

posted Hide Post
I have 3 more to add to my collection. This is Contrary Husband- C 1 Sue

posted Hide Post
This is Contrary Wife- L 10 Sue

posted Hide Post
This one I found difficult but gave it my best shot- Called Corn and Beans- E 2 Sue

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Great job Sue! Sometimes blocks are quite hard to make, specially with all those tiny triangles. You did well!

posted Hide Post
Thanks Anael. I think I will do some more today. Sue

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Sue and Anael, your blocks are really looking good. Sue, I see progress, yay. Glad I'm not doing them. Too small for me.

posted Hide Post
Here are two more. Cut Glass Dish- N 4 Sue

posted Hide Post
This is Diamond Friendship- N 10 Sue

Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
Sue, Your blocks are so striking in that color combination. Looking good!
Anael, I checked out the Loyal Union Sampler on Amazon and could not resist buying it. Your blocks are beautiful.

Posts: 519 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Sue, a hard and an easy one! Can you make a group shot please? I would love to see how your blocks work together!

PatriciaAnne, thanks!
When I saw the book I just HAD to buy it. I bought the E-book, didn't want to wait weeks and weeks before it got here. One day I will buy the actual book too.

posted Hide Post
Anael- here is a group pic of the 16 blocks that I have finished. Sue