Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Sylvia Bridal Sampler Sew Along - Thread #12
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sylvia Bridal Sampler Sew Along - Thread #12 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Elainetoo
posted
It's been awhile since any postings and found that Thread #11 was closed.

How's everyone doing?

I finally picked mine up again.
- All blocks done! Big Grin
- Only two seams to do on the row sashings
- The two side borders to put on

Feels good. Didn't make the Dec 11 goal, but way further then I thought I would be at this point.

Posts: 8120 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Went back through the last thread and think I got everyone's count.

(List last updated by elainetoo on 2/27/2013)

HAND PIECED
(started with 4)

2. Char77--(20) 70 (3/1/13)
3. Kiberliiw --- 4 (3/31/10)

MACHINE PIECED
(started with 40)

Abxkris
Anael7621 (added 1/28/2011) 140 (2/26/13)
baseballmama / new - 9 (3/2)
bluesnail---(9) 47 (2/23/10)
Britgal--- (15) 20 (2/2)
Byabasket
divechim--- 10 (2/23)
Dixielady
fishing widow----5 (2/2)
Gonesewin--- (2) 55 (1/23/11)
gmvj (goldiesmom) ---- 1 (3/5/13)
greytgramma / new --- 10 (2/23)
Happy2bhome
Karol0405
LaniLuvs2Quilt--- (1)
McPatches --- 133 (5/20/11)
Memequilts---(57) 72 (5/24/11)
Northern Nana--- (1) 6 (2/2)
Owenjulesmommy--- (4)
PawstoEnjoy
Pegsami--- (13) 70+ (10/29/11)
pennyquilts---(42) 45 (2/27)
Quiltcat--- (6) 18 (2/23)
Quiltnchild
Quiltsewpieceful--- (4)
qwltnfool
royalboomer---3 (3/31)
Stillbuzz--- 40 (12/7/11)
Susarina
Suziq41 --- 65 (11/11)
Teasea

DONE:
Chlynn1129 / 48 (6/8/10) Wallhanging
Elainetoo 140 (1/26/2012) hand pieced
EVELYNB /24+ (1/19/11) added to another quilt
Quilting Jen / 9 (1/6/11) Wallhanging
Charming sister--42 (4/2/11)
Expatquilter (cuilteannia)--- 140 (4/3/11)
[3 rows hand pieced / moved to machine]

Moved to Cheerleaders:
Amiyoko99(2/25)
bails - 27 (5/24/10)
Sewer26 - (2/27)
anonymous (Jane Kiwi) – (4/13)
NICU nurse (4/13)
MountainLaurel (4/16
tryingtoquilthere (5/31)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

Posts: 8120 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
OMG! I see it's been 2 years since I did any work on these blocks. Looks like I'll have to drag it out and get cracking on it again. I do plan to finish it.......eventually!

I'm not sure what those numbers mean. I know I have more than 9 done, but don't think I have 47 finished. Guess I'll have to do a recount once I have it out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bluesnail,

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2252 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
I didn't know the other thread was closed. Thanks for starting a new one Elaine!

Congrats on finishing! I'm looking forward to pictures of your quilt! On my side there's not that much progress, I'm working on too many projects now. So it looks like I'm only doing the BOW for a while but that's ok with me.

Posts: 1105 | Location: Europe (The Netherlands) | Registered: Jan 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
Congrats to all that have finished. It seems like a good pile, but even at forty, only one third done! I tell myself it will be lovely though....And I found my lost Mariner's compass..whew!

Posts: 416 | Location: Shapleigh, Maine | Registered: Jul 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
This is what I've done in the past months. Not that much but I've done other quilts and blocks too Big Grin
I hope the picture is not too small!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Anael7621,

Posts: 1105 | Location: Europe (The Netherlands) | Registered: Jan 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
Lovely squares. I don't have time for all my UFO's......but know soon, I will pick it up again. I found more lovely fabric in my stash that wants to be used.

Posts: 416 | Location: Shapleigh, Maine | Registered: Jul 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
I made these blocks last week and Monday. Now I'm working on several BOM's LOL

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Looking good Anael...

I'm on the last sashing!

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Elaine, congrats ! ! ! ! I can't wait to see your finished Sylvia!

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
YAHOO!!! top is done!!! pressed and waiting for a friend to help me sandwich it. We're going to have a sandwiching day using large tables at the chu*ch in a week or so.

Will try to move furniture around soon to get a picture of it. My bed is too small to spread it out - so it will have to be the living room floor.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
here she is!!! Sometime int he next couple weeks I'll get it sandwiched and start the hand quilting - so won't be posting anything on the quilt probably for a year.

Will keep looking for progress on your quilts.

Picture of Quiltnanny
posted Hide Post
Elaine, your Sylvia is AWESOME!! Star great job. don't you just love it??

Posts: 4444 | Location: Fabricologist Resource Center, NH | Registered: Mar 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
Oh, Elaine, I bow to you....someday I will have one too!

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Elaine, I bow to your talent and patience too. Hand piecing, OMG What a big undertaking. It is BEATIFUL Glad you posted so I came over here to look. It must be amazing in person. Thanks again for posting. Pat

Posts: 8127 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marion2
posted Hide Post
TFS!! That is breath taking!! Awesome!! WOW!!

Posts: 5716 | Location: OK | Registered: Jun 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
Eek It took my breath away, too. It is awesome. lots of work here. good job! Star Star Star Star

Erma

Smile Craft Happens! Smile

Posts: 3163 | Location: TX | Registered: Mar 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of char77
posted Hide Post
Unbelieveable!!! It's just jaw-dropping gorgeous! Congratulations Big Grin

Char

Posts: 3653 | Location: michigan | Registered: Sep 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Elaine, I'm speechless. Your quilt is awesome! I bow to your talent and patience too! Thank you so much for sharing your gorgeous Sylvia with us.

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Anael, your blocks are lovely.

Elaine!!! It is gorgeous!

I did a wall hanging; perhaps I will go back and try for the entire quilt. Smile I really did enjoy making all the different blocks.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Elaine, your quilt is GORGEOUS!!! And I'm so impressed that you're going to hand quilt it. Brave woman, in my book.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6698 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
Drop down dead beautiful!!! Someday I'll get back to working on mine and maybe in 10 years I'll have all the blocks done.

In order to see the rainbow, first you must endure the rain.

Posts: 2829 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Okay, Elaine, I forgot to ask the important question. How long did it take you to make this quilt top? I've never in my life even tried to hand sew a block, much less one with -- what? -- a 140 blocks or so? I bow to your genius!!!!!!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6698 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the great comments.

quote:
Originally posted by Florida Farm Girl:
Okay, Elaine, I forgot to ask the important question. How long did it take you to make this quilt top? .....

I did a few blocks in Dec 2009, the rest were done of the last 2 years. Worked on it off and on over the winter months, took some camping to work on, a lot of blocks and the sashing were done last year while sitting at the doctors office or in the hospital with my DH. So it has special meaning for me.

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Elaine, would you please post pics of your quilting in progress? Please??? I would love to see what you're doing and how you're doing it!

I just counted my blocks, I have 93 now ! ! ! I didn't realize I had this many!

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Congrats on 93 done! More than half way there.

We'll see on the quilting. I'm not a hand quilter and haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do other then the sid around all sashing - um each block ? - sid or echo. ? um..

Edited - think I'll probably pick one piece of each block and do echo inside that part of the design with coordinating color. Although some blocks the pieces are so small, don't know if that will work. Going to be a long process.

Picture of SusanJ93
posted Hide Post
WOW Elaine, that quilt is beautiful!! I am planning on starting a Sylvia's this year.

Posts: 45 | Location: South Central Ohio | Registered: Aug 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shogun
posted Hide Post
Elaine - wow!!!

Posts: 3724 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
Elaine, I am at a loss for the right adjective for your quilt, so I'll just say ditto to all the other remarks.

Devonne

Posts: 14988 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cr8tve1
posted Hide Post
woowee! what an accomplishment! Great job.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA USA | Registered: Apr 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
Elaine your quilt is outstanding. Congratulations!!

Posts: 4330 | Location: N.Y., USA | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
wow! gorgeous!

Posts: 4058 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: Aug 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
I only made 1 block, Silver and Gold. I still have to beat the center into submission but I will wait with that till the top is finished.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
That is beautiful - great fabrics. Glad you're continuing to work on this project.

With the help of some friends yesterday got mine sandwiched and pinned.

Picture of SusanJ93
posted Hide Post
Okay, I did it. I actually started on my Sylvia quilt today. I'm going to be hand piecing and hand quilting it.

Posts: 45 | Location: South Central Ohio | Registered: Aug 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Wow Susan, congrats on starting! Can´t wait to see your first blocks!

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SusanJ93:
Okay, I did it. I actually started on my Sylvia quilt today. I'm going to be hand piecing and hand quilting it.

GREAT! Don't forget we love to see your progress.

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
These are the ones I did this week. Now back to all the BOM's and Dear Jane!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Anael7621,

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
I'll never understand how it works with the pics! This one is small and stays small Frown Oh well, now my blocks look perfect Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
They do look perfect! You will have a lovely quilt soon..or....many lovely quilts?

Do you still need horse fabrics? I have tomorrow off from work and methinks it is going to rain!

Sue

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Can't wait to see your finished project.

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
great top, elainetoo Smile
Love the colors Anael7621
Hand Pieced Susanj93??? That'll be quite the undertaking, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

I WILL get back to mine. I WILL. soon, I hope.

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5118 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Thanks ladies Big Grin

@stillsuzzz: thanks for asking but no, I don't need any more. I have some and I don't want to make the quilt with a lot of horses!

Many quilts? I hope so but only one Sylvia! Dear Jane will take a while, I made about 60 blocks so far.

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS # 100 done today Big Grin Big Grin
Now only 40 to go!

Picture of SusanJ93
posted Hide Post
My first 4 Sylvia blocks are done.......only 136 to go!

Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
Pretty start Susan.

In order to see the rainbow, first you must endure the rain.

Posts: 2829 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Congrats Susan! Lovely blocks and as you said, only 136 to go Big Grin

Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
Welcome and congrats Susan......your blocks are lovely.....dang, I need to have more time to quilt.....and not forget my sewing machine at my client's house on snow days!

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Susan, nice blocks. Always glad to see someone jumping in and tackling this quilt.

Picture of SusanJ93
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for your words of encouragement.