Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ♫♪♫ HGTV 2013 BOM ♫♪♫ ~ May Block!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

♫♪♫ HGTV 2013 BOM ♫♪♫ ~ May Block! Sign In/Join 
Picture of BOMchicks
posted
WELCOME TO THE 2013 HGTV FORUM BLOCK OF THE MONTH!

Y'all asked for a 4-patch, and I found one!! Big Grin Big Grin

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

The theme this year is Secrets Shhh
SavedSinnr (chicky) and CBQ (the crazy one) Wink are 'egg'-cited and thrilled to be working with you on the BOM this year! Smile

A Bit of Background......

*ALL board members are welcome to join us! There is no commitment or sign-up. Just join in the fun by posting on this thread.

*You are not swapping, exchanging or anything else, just make the block we post on the first of each month; show us a photo of your work, and be entered into a drawing for a wonderful prize.

* Each month, we will be doing a block from Quilter's Cache.

* In the intro post, we explained the extra blocks needed to make a larger quilt. These blocks are totally optional and secret! We will remind you each month to make your secret block.

Credit: Marcia Hohn has graciously said we can use blocks from The Quilter's Cache again this year. Please read her Terms and Conditions at: http://www.quilterscache.com/. And follow the below guideline. "Should photographs of items made from Original designs be posted on your group website, they should also be clearly marked with the name of the pattern As I have it named, and that it is from The Quilter's Cache/Marcia Hohn." (Since you'll post your pictures in this thread, you will be covered by that statement.)

This year we will again challenge you to stretch your skills, ideas and creativity, while sewing and even trying new block patterns as well as methods. We are here to help! Use this thread to post your questions, problems anything related to the BOM~ and we will try to answer them for you.

SEW .... with no further scratching... here's the MAY BLOCK ~~

Creole Puzzle

Additional Notes~

DO NOT get psyched by this block! It isn't hard, just a little time consuming. I know you can all do it!

A few tips below. Wink

COME ALONG AND HAVE SOME FUN!!!
AND DON'T FORGET TO POST THOSE PICS WE LOVE PICS!
Cool

If you have trouble posting pictures, or have a challenge with resizing them to post, you can SEND THEM TO ONE OF US VIA EMAIL, and we will BE HAPPY to resize them and post for you !!!

May Finishers!

Sister Sue
STinMT
Patty j
Will Quilt For Choc
Handie Ann
alexemmarose
PatriciaAnne
Chlynn1129
quilthappy69
J Lu
Shirlwin
Meme Quilts
MountainLaurel
Quilter Jen
Malou
Northern Nana

Did I miss anyone????
We have 16 finishers so far....

Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BOMchicks,

HGTV BOM! I'm SEW 'EGG'-cited!!

Posts: 368 | Registered: Jan 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BOMchicks
posted Hide Post
MAY

**Additional tips***

On page two where she has you sew the large triangle to the 3-part triangle~ press toward the three part triangle. It will make assembly easier. Wink

When sewing the set-in seam segments be sure to mark your pieces so you remember to stop 1/4 inch from the end. I found it easier to sew with the light triangle on the bottom~

Picture of BOMchicks
posted Hide Post
More MAY

***Additional tips continued...***

Also the photo marked fold is deceiving... you will have a bump for your quarter inch seam~ photo below.

Last and best tip? Square all your segments to 4.5 inches before sewing the block together. Then it is sewn together just like a nine patch and everything fits together beautifully. Smile

Relax and enjoy!! You just mastered set-in seams!!! Smile

Picture of BOMchicks
posted Hide Post
And did y'all notice there is a 4-patch? And it is a 9-patch block Big Grin I think I did really well meeting all your requests this month. Wink But if you feel like you need to throw something at us~ make it FQ's! Big Grin

Happy sewing!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BOMchicks,

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Well, if this isn't a perfect example of "be careful what you wish for", I don't know what is! Wink

Posts: 4582 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Oh well, AngelaC, I think you're so right!
I mastered Y seams yesterday so I might be able to do that again Wink
But not today Big Grin
Thanks Chickies for another not too easy block!

Posts: 1101 | Location: Europe (The Netherlands) | Registered: Jan 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
Ya, that ain't no nine patch.....lol

Posts: 401 | Location: Shapleigh, Maine | Registered: Jul 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
I like the look of the block but will I still like it when I try to make it? Thank you BOMChicks for another challenge encouraging us to add to our skills.

Posts: 2679 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in shock!!!!!
You got us good, Chickies!!

Posts: 2248 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilthappy69
posted Hide Post
all printed and ready to go to bad I won't have a sewing room for 2 weeks due to company.
i don't like Y seams but I have done them before.

formily Becky from NY

Posts: 57 | Location: Clayton NC | Registered: Mar 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4808 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I printed the pattern, will read the directions and hope I only have to do this block once. LOL Thanks for the helpful hints, we ned all the help we can get. Sue

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sister sue,

Posts: 1500 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jill- glad to see you did not get lost. Love your block R/W/B, turned out great. I think you and Paty J might have had the same problem with the April block. Sue

Posts: 1500 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
Sue - I already have some ideas for this block! heh, heh, heh!

Posts: 4808 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
I've printed the instructions, but don't forget the templates. I was just reading through the instructions and noticed there is also two templates to be printed. Maybe tonight I can start picking out the fabrics.

In order to see the rainbow, first you must endure the rain.

Posts: 2826 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
Well I have my pattern printed out and my fabrics picked now all I need is the time to make it.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3453 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like the look of the block but will I still like it when I try to make it? Thank you BOMChicks for another challenge encouraging us to add to our skills.

You are very welcome CQ! Smile That's the spirit!! Big Grin

Posts: 10450 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hmmm...can't get the link to work to Quilter's Cache...will try again later...thanks so much for getting this all ready for us again this month!! You guys are great!

Posts: 3409 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Talk about pushing us to the limit! I'm scared! I'm surprised this isn't PP.

J Lu

Posts: 936 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
OK...the ones who asked for a four patch or nine patch...go to the back of the class...and be quiet Razz LOL

I'm slacking, I haven't even got my April block done, and this one makes me wanna crawl under the blankies Razz

Hoping to catch up soon

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7023 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my fabric picked out and cut into pieces. Just printed the templates. Will work on the block this weekend. Sue

posted Hide Post
instructions printed and fabbies picked out...just thinking about it at this point...

Posts: 3409 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Oh boy.....I have never done a y-seam Smile
Makes me a little nervous as I really do not like to rip and re-sew! LOL!

Hope to get to it this week end

Posts: 1998 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somebody's been a BAD CHICKY Eek

Upon going thru my little "tub" of paperwork, I found the envelopes that I forgot to mail for March winners ... all addressed and ready to go Roll Eyes All I can tell you is I'M SORRY Roll Eyes And I WILL get them mailed, with a little something extra tucked inside ... Again, so sorry :/

NOW ... for this month's finisher, there were a LOT of beautiful blocks y'all posted... this month's winner is ~

Chlynn 1129

CONGRATULATIONS! Big Grin Please send me your address

And since I'm such a flake, let's add ANOTHER WINNER to the bunch ....

CONGRATULATIONS PATTY J Big Grin

OK ... these WILL get in the mail next week ... I'm just trying to get out of my house today ... weather seems to not know it's May Big Grin

And... I'll get my block done shortly Big Grin Thank all y'all for your patience with me <3

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 7980 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrat's to Patty J and Chlynn for being the winners for the Month of April. Sue

posted Hide Post
Saved Sinner, you nice little chickie! Don't you worry yourself...you and CBQ are super sweet chickies to even send us goodie bags!

Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
Kay Woods has a nice video on you tube about how to do y seams. Or you can mark with a fabric pen where your 1/4 seam starts and ends and that helps to make them fit together easier without any gaps.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2301 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
Saved Sinnr, no worries, April was over before I knew it started.

On with the fun of this May block!

Posts: 2679 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good tip Carolyn! I always make pencil dots. Wink

StarCongrat's to the April winners!! Star

Posts: 10450 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my block done. Will continue to use Stonehenge fabric. Loved the block and no trouble with the y-seams. I had lots of practice yesterday while I was working on my Crimson Roses quilt, which will be king size. Sue

Picture of Northern Nana
posted Hide Post
That came out very nice

Posts: 122 | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
Very nice Sue.

Posts: 489 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice block, Sue! Because of your gorgeous Stonehenge blocks I am now the proud owner of two pieces of Stonehenge fabric...loved how it looked in your blocks so much I decided to treat myself a little...

posted Hide Post
Alex- you will not be sorry with your investment. I just love working with this fabric line. Thanks for all the compliment. Sue

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sister sue,

posted Hide Post
Whoohoo Sue!! I have been checking to see who would be the first block finisher this month. Smile Way to go! That ought to inspire everyone else to go for it! Big Grin

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Wow Sue, that's a beautiful block!

Posts: 1101 | Location: Europe (The Netherlands) | Registered: Jan 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Chlynn and Patty, congrats Smile

Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
Very pretty Sue.

Congratulations to Chlynn & Patty.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2301 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to the 2 winners!

Plan to redraft the block to 9.5" this weekend but probably won't have time to sew it.

Posts: 1659 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Thanks for drawing my name. It will be fun getting something besides bills in the mail.
Haven't picked out my fabrics for this BOM, but I'd better get going,
Pat

Posts: 7864 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Thank you!!!!

Sue, I ;love that blue fabric! You did very nice job on your block.

Posts: 1998 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I need to wait a few days to work on my block...want to see a few more color value ideas that you all come up with...hope the month doesn't get away from me!

Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
I have finished my block, but haven't taken a picture yet. I'm waiting for the right lighting.

Posts: 489 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that I am working on my May block, I have one of my blocks (either Jan or Feb) that is not jewel tone enough. I tried searching but couldn't find the Jan or Feb threads-- could someone post the names of those 2 blocks? The one I want to redo has a pinwheel the middle with triangle points radiating out.

Thanks in advance,
Jen

Posts: 1659 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My May block is finished, I did change the center section. Y seams were no problem.

Posts: 530 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: Apr 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Northern Nana
posted Hide Post
Jen the names are Noon and Light, and Morning stars

Posts: 122 | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nana! Morning Star is the one I want to redo so it looks more jewel tone- it doesn't play well with my chain blocks or the rest of the monthly blocks.

posted Hide Post
STinMT, your block is gorgeous!

posted Hide Post
STinMT- Nice touch for the middle section. All of it is beautiful. Sue

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Sue beat me to the finish, but my block is done. The Y-seams posed only a few anxious moments what got me was the mirror image of the template. I had to cut 2 morewith the angle reversed. No biggie I had lots of that fabric. LOL That is probably because I didn't read the direction that said cut like it is shown on the diagram. Teach me to read really carefully from now on. Smile
StinMt, like your block with the emb. on it.
Sister Sue. Like your block too, but I thought you were going to go with green this time. Thanks for the encouragement and the tips you gave me. Pat

Posts: 7864 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post