Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ♫♪♫ HGTV 2013 BOM ♫♪♫ ~ May Block!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

♫♪♫ HGTV 2013 BOM ♫♪♫ ~ May Block! Sign In/Join 
posted Hide Post
Pat...haven't you been busy! Your blue block is very nice!

Posts: 3405 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pat- that is the perfect blue combination and will look great with all your other blue blocks. Sue

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sister sue,

Posts: 1484 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
I might have to redo this block. There doesn't seem like much contrast between the blues, The complicated design doesn't show up well.
Pat

Posts: 7826 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
Here is my block for the month. I have to admit that I cheated AND changed it!

Instead of doing the set in triangle, I split it up and sewed diagonal seam on a square at the end of the strip. when I sewed the two strips together, voila! I had my triangle! Only thing is, I sewed a couple backwards and had to re-sew! It probably would have been faster just to do the set in seam!

I didn't add the color strips to the outside corners. I didn't care for them. If you were making an entire quilt out of that block, you would get a secondary design. Since we're not doing that, I left them out!

Posts: 4786 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patty - those colors are close, but sometimes that works in your favor. It can give your eyes a place to rest. Are you happy with how the block works with your other blocks and the chain blocks?

posted Hide Post
Jill, you finished early, with no stress. Your changed block looks good with R/W/B colors. Sue

Posts: 1484 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Jill, the block looks good with the surprise blocks and the other blue/white blocks so maybe I'll leave it alone. At least it is done. Gotta spend my time getting ready to go to Vegas with Sue next week. LOL We are going on the quilt shop hop. So I need to get my lists together on what I'm going to need and look for. Smile
Ooops forgot to say that your block looks good with your design changes.

Posts: 7826 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WQFC, your block is lovely! Very comfy and homespun colors...

Interesting to see how different it looks from the other blocks with just a few changes!

Posts: 3405 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I have my blocks done for this month. I did the Y seams I did think of doing them like WQFC did hers. They were not that hard to do.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3433 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handie...lovely blocks! I have my fabbies picked but have been working on my STT piece. Need to get my May BOM finished!

posted Hide Post
Ann, your blocks look great. You are so good, doing two every month!

Patty - glad the blue block will play nice with the others. Yeah, don't worry about that...plan your shop hop shopping strategy for Vegas! Have an awesome time!

posted Hide Post
Handie- Both your blocks are looking good, but both are a different contrast to each other. You have more energy than me to do 2 blocks every month. Good job. Sue

Picture of BOMchicks
posted Hide Post
OOOhhh girls! Y'all are making some bee-you-ti-full blocks!! Keep it up!! Smile

May Finishers...
Sister Sue
STinMT
Patty j
Will Quilt For Choc
Handie Ann

Who is busy sewing?? Smile

Happy Mother's Day!!
Wave

HGTV BOM! I'm SEW 'EGG'-cited!!

Posts: 368 | Registered: Jan 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love all the blocks sewn! So pretty and it will help me with color placement when I get to mine.
You didn't even miss me, did you!!
We had a medical emergency in my family... I have been in TN since May 4, returning yesterday.
A busy week ahead catching up and maybe next week I will get to sew and decide on my block?? I hope so!
Everyone that has completed a block did wonderful!!

Posts: 2236 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
Malou, sorry to hear you had a medical emergency. Hope eveything is ok now.

My block is about 1/2 sewn together. Don't know if I'll have time this week to finish it. We're going camping this weekend, maybe I'll take it with me to finish. I'll post when I get it done.

In order to see the rainbow, first you must endure the rain.

Posts: 2823 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Malou, Of course we missed you, thought maybe you were busy with Toffee Central. Sorry for the emergency hope all is well now.
Sue and I are going to Vegas for fun for the next week so we won't be around. But that doesn't mean the rest of you shouldn't get working on your blocks. We expect pictures by the time we get home. lol

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Not many pictures yet.. but what has been shown are very nice.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I can't seem to find the time to sew this time of the year.

Posts: 7979 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
Beautiful blocks, congratulations to those who have finished by mid month. I have then instructions printed hope to sew this weekend.

Posts: 2672 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Miss May wanted to join the show...

Thank you, thank you to the BOM Chickies...templates for us to use instead of all measurements on this block!

Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
This is the forth time I am trying this on my laptop. I don't like doing it from here, but my desktop is busy doing something else.
This is my May block-this month Emerald.

Posts: 479 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PatriciaAnne, your Emerald block is lovely!

posted Hide Post
I love the Christmas block...such a clever way to use that stripe!

PatriciaAnne - I love to see what the gem of the month is! You did a wonderful job!

Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
Are you doing the jewels? that one is gorgeous!

Posts: 409 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
Beautiful blocks alex and PatriciaAnne! See? Those set in seams weren't so bad, were they? Wink

Posts: 10445 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Finally got the pattern and directions printed. I hope to get to it this weekend sometime. I like all of the blocks so far...what a variety.

Posts: 1994 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
RN55, I am doing the monthly Birthstones. It has been fun picking out my colors for each month and sometimes a challenge. Like next month is pearl. How to depict the luster of a pearl will be the challenge, but I do have an idea, just hope I have enough fabric.

Posts: 479 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
PatriciaAnne.. You could use fairy frost colors. They have the pearl sheen. I love them.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2297 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mountainlaurel...the fairy frosts but the other thing to remember pearls do come in differnet colors. but a white fairy frost with a black..would be gorgeous!

Posts: 409 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I thought about them. They would be perfect!

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
I did the block and only had trouble with my first Y seam Smile

I made my block like Will Quilt For Choc cause I did not care for the secondary pattern either.

Posts: 1994 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
I finished mine on Saturday while we were camping. I haven't had a chance to take a pic of it yet, but maybe I can do that tonight when I finish unpacking everything from the weekend.

Posts: 2823 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilthappy69
posted Hide Post
company is finally gone so I had a chance to make the May block.
I love all the blocks so far

formily Becky from NY

Posts: 57 | Location: Clayton NC | Registered: Mar 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Finally got a minute. I did not like this block. It was really kind of hard

J Lu

Posts: 933 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great blocks ladies! Look how the background recedes on J Lu's block...dark color...very interesting!

Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
My completed effort of this block

Posts: 306 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
Here is my May block

Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
Great blocks everybody. Quilthappy, I really like your colors! Looks like several people are leaning towards the greens this month.

Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
Great blocks ladies!! Smile

Remember when we said we would stretch your skills this year? Y'all are meeting the challenge admirably! Way to sew!! Smile

Posts: 10445 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Susan-TN
posted Hide Post
I loved seeing everyone's blocks- thanks to posting your pics! I don't know when I'll be able to sew either the April or May block, but I've got the links saved in my favorites file. I've been my mother's primary caregiver for the past 7 & 1/2 years, & she passed away last Wednesday- May 15th. It was very peaceful- she wasn't in any pain & all 3 of her children were there with her. Memorial service will be this coming Thursday.

Susan

Posts: 634 | Location: East TN | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
My condolences may your memories live forever

Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
(((Susan TN)))) on the passing of your Mother.

Posts: 306 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Susan...love and hugs to you and your family right now.

posted Hide Post
WOW!!! I was gone for a week in Vegas and look what I found when I got home. So many new May blocks done. All did a great job and you know the color of the season is GREEN. LOL Sue

Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
Susan TN, prayers and thoughts for you and your family.

posted Hide Post
Susan, so sorry to hear about your Mother. T's and P's coming your way. Sue

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Susan, So sorry to hear of your loss. May your memories give you some comfort in this time.

posted Hide Post
So sorry Susan on the loss of your Mom. I am sure she will be missed. Hang on to all of the good times. (((HUGS)))

Carolyn

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2297 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made my Bom early this month and I have already given it away. I am making them for my Secret sister at our guild every month. There s no way to get a pic of it now. RN 55 did see it. I made it I promise. Just forgot to take the pic. If I get a chance I will make another one. I enjoyed the challenge of the Y seams and they turned out great.

Carolyn

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
SusanTN, Sorry to hear about your sadness. Ts and Ps for you and your family. Pat and Sister Sue

Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
if it means anything I did see it she made when we did our Saturday Sew In. it was beautiful and she did not say anything negative about the y seams!