Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ●.Eighth.Annual.● Scraps.to.Treasures.Challenge
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

●.Eighth.Annual.● Scraps.to.Treasures.Challenge Sign In/Join 
Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
I'll take the fat quarter.

Come join in the fun!

Posts: 4304 | Location: N.Y., USA | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● I'm back, but my brain is not cooperating. Haven't been able to come up with a new idea yet. Frown I see there are only three more days left to join us. For some reason I thought there were more. Roll Eyes Boy, this last week is just one BIG blur. And now I am getting desperate for more challengers. So...

Here's the deal:

If you register before Monday, you will get 3 pairs of BONUS SQUARES.
If you register on Monday, then you will only get 2 pairs of BONUS SQUARES.
And, if you wait until Tuesday then you are only going to get 1 pair of BONUS SQUARES.

And, because we are always looking for new blood, ALL NEWBIES will get DOUBLE! Big Grin

Life without quilting is not an option! • • • • • MY Photos • • • • • • ENJOY!

Have you met my Circle of Friends? • • • • • • • PJ Party Tutorials

• • • Please! Support OUR Troops: Gratitude Campaign • • •

Posts: 9631 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Oh my, there really are only a few days left Eek.

Are we going to reach 50 challengers Big Grin?Big Grin

Posts: 5027 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...... oh good grief, what is the matter with me? I have allowed Jayardi to RECRUIT me and even after reading all this stuff i still dont know what I'm doing! Just pointing out that maybe I'm nt the only one who thinks they don't get it ... but anyway - I'm willing to give it a try ..so JEAN - SIGN ME IN... City

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 8995 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
I keep coming back to check up on what's going on. Miss being a part of this fun, but know that it just isn't feasible for me this year.. darn.

Posts: 7989 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to give it a try. I've been thinking about it and Gonesewin's post has given me the push that I need. Now I just need some time to sit down and read all the rules. It sounds like fun.

Posts: 182 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Y'all, the rules are not that difficult. And, Jean is wonderful about sending everything when she sends your squares, so you always have it handy to refer to (as long as you remember where you put it). And, even better, she does a whole spreadsheet where she tells you exactly how many fat quarters and bonus squares you've earned, so you have everything you need in one neat little package.

So, just sign up, find some good fabrics — I love tone-on-tones and batiks, hint, hint — and then you'll be on your way.

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6534 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Welcome aka Teddylady, which of Gonesewin's post pushed you off the fence?

I would also like to welcome IrishQuiltLass back to our fold. Big Grin

That's two more and as soon as I get a certain someone's e-mail, we'll be at 35. I don't think we'll get to 50 this year, but I could be wrong. Let's hope my inbox is flooded when I get home from work today.

Posts: 9631 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ●
quote:
...... oh good grief, what is the matter with me? I have allowed Jayardi to RECRUIT me and even after reading all this stuff i still dont know what I'm doing! Just pointing out that maybe I'm nt the only one who thinks they don't get it ... but anyway - I'm willing to give it a try ..so JEAN - SIGN ME IN... City
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Don't worry, I will help you along the way. If there is anything you don't understand, just let me know. Now please, send me your e-mail. Wink

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
.... OK ... I sent the email. I must have know in thenight that I was going to do this, have redesigned my entry abut 6 or 7 times already and that was before I woke up!

Wounded Warrior Project

Posts: 8995 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ktz
posted Hide Post
I'm probably crazy, but I sent my email! Let the fun begin!

Posts: 329 | Registered: Dec 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LADIES! None of you are crazy! Believe me this challenge is one of the best things you can do on this board, in my opinion. I love it every year. And Jayardi couldn't be better at helping you along the way. You all will do fine and be glad at the end you jumped in.
Thanks again Jean!

Rondi

Posts: 1542 | Location: winchester,ky | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
ok... If you will have me I will join up again. And to my credit I have used some of the blocks I made from the squares from previous years I did not finish and added them to a charity quilt. Smile

Sending the email

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25668 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Woohoo! Look at these people joining us! I'm so excited to see some returning faces and some new friends as well. Yay for everyone! Let's keep it going so we can all get some really neat squares.

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6534 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Yay Becky, Irish, Sandie, ktz, Rondi & Q!!!
We are going to have SEW much fun Big Grin

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4914 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to see new faces playing! I have to say, the first year I watched along and was totally confused about what to do and how to do it...glad I was just watching. The second year I joined in and played and once I got into it, it wasn't confusing at all...just challenging! Last year (my third year of involvement) I could hardly wait, had my plan in mind and tied with Jayardi for Best in Show! I am just saying, hang in there...it isn't as difficult as it first appears, Jean is wonderful to help out and you will expand yourself and your creativity along the way!

I do have a question for you, Miss Jean...what kind of fabric manipulation is allowed? Folding? Pleating? Layering? Painting? Embellishments in general? I am sure you want the original fabrics to be seen and obvious but was just wondering what other enhancing might be allowed. Thanks bunches.

Posts: 3408 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome, welcome , welcome! The more the merrier! Jean will be so tickled when she peaks in here later. If we did make 50 I wonder what she would sweeten the pot with?

Rondi

Posts: 1542 | Location: winchester,ky | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Yea, we are really coming along! Hope the numbers keep going up.

posted Hide Post
Do you typically have a plan before you start? How do you name your quilt before you even see the fabric? Do you just think of a name and try to make your quilt fit it? This aspect really has me stumped. I think I can get some extra squares or something if I name mine now, but I'm not sure how to do it. I'm probably making it more difficult than it is, but I'd appreciate any suggestions on how you do it. Thanks.

Posts: 182 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Good questions Smile
Last year I named my quilt using a combo of the s2t challenge and the name of the pattern I was planning to use - a "Treasure Whirl" This year I named it xxx because I am naming all my quilts this year this way.

I have lots of plans before I start - and I might even use one of them! It will depend on what we get for fabric, if we get lots of one color then I might go one way and if we get lots of lights and not so many darks I may go a different way.

Don't stress. It'll work itself out.

Even if your quilt name is "My First S2T Challenge" that will get you bonus, right Jean???

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

Posts: 4914 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Well, my inbox wasn't exactly flooded, but I see a few more names on the list. Big Grin We have 38 Challengers. I don't think we'll get to 50, but it would be nice. Wink

So here's a little trivia for you and a chance to earn some BONUS SQUARES. Big Grin

Can you tell me if we ever did reach 50? And, if so, what year(s)?

Send me an e-mail with your answer before Wednesday.

I would also like to congratulate Gonesewin for her ingenuity on trying to push everyone off the fence. Big Grin She just earned herself another two pairs of BONUS SQUARES.

And thanks all for helping out with the Newbie questions.

I usually have a plan before I even start registration. This year I had two ideas, but can't for the life of me remember one of them. So, I guess I'm stuck with the other one. Wink

Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do have a question for you, Miss Jean...what kind of fabric manipulation is allowed? Folding? Pleating? Layering? Painting? Embellishments in general? I am sure you want the original fabrics to be seen and obvious but was just wondering what other enhancing might be allowed. Thanks bunches.
from Alexemmarose

Looking to see how this ?? is answered.
Also Did you ever have 50 to challenge? lol! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SC Lady,

Libby

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." ~~~Dalai Lama

Posts: 3953 | Location: Lower Va. | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
my guesses are sent Smile

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Oops, I did forget to answer that question. Sorry.

The answer is YES all of the above. You can even turn it over and use the back side if you want. You can add beads, lace, trim, but no fabric other than what you are allowed, which also includes prepackaged bias tape, unless it's for your binding. You can make your own bias tape with your fabric allotment if you want to make vines.

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Nice try Libby. Razz

Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
jayardi, I'm send you an email. I'm in.

SUE B

The smallest Cross in the corner is the one you put in the room.

I hope all our daily ups and downs are with needle and thread.

COF 2007 http://www2.snapfish.com/snapf...BRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Posts: 1461 | Location: North of the Gulf of Mexico | Registered: Apr 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
Sent off a guess regarding 50 entries?

Posts: 979 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...YoooHooo Jayardi .... I was reading back over the rules and all the info (I am never gong to remember all this) and saw that I was supposed to put in my email - NOT JUST ON HERE MAYBE? - that YOU WERE MY RECRUITER ...,anyway I re-sent my email to include that info ... anyway if you need it - it's there .. Smile again, thanks for pulling my chain a gentle bit and encouraging me to play Smile
I have seen a lot of the challenges go by Smile

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
sent my trivia guess...

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25668 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Ok I sent you my guess but, I can't remember yesterday much less years before. It's **** getting old.

J Lu

Posts: 934 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
sent my guess and it was truely a "guess" but hey who knows I might be right always worth a try for "bonus" squares.

Posts: 2677 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a newbie question. If I have a two-yard piece of fabric in my stash, should I should cut it up into 38 (or whatever the number turns out to be) 6 inch squares and then do it again with another two yard piece in a different value? Or should I can cut maybe six from one fabric, 12 from another, two from another, etc. and pair them up?

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Well I have an idea drawn out. I can't wait to get started. I'm still a newbie if you ask me. So can I get a bonus for knowing that.

J Lu

Posts: 934 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Teddy...stick to 2 different fabrics, coordinating or different values. But keep it to 2 fabrics. Not just random pairs. This way everyone signed up will have all the same fabrics to work with. Hope this helps.

I have ideas bouncing around my head!

Rondi

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Just had to stop by and see if I really did enroll or if it was a nightmare! Had a day where life got in the way of everything I wanted to do and I just couldn't believe I got myself into a deadline! Rondi, HELP! But did send a name for my quilt, however it turns out!

Posts: 5674 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Teddy, I'll jump onto Rondi's answer. When sign-ups are finished, Jean will tell us how much fabric we can use. She will specify 1 1/2 yards, or 1 3/4 or whatever. Then you will cut your squares from your two fabrics that each measure that much. Then your leftovers can be used as well as all of your other bonuses.

That's why I like to have my idea floating around before I pick my fabrics so that I can pick something that I might actually need a lot of for my design. Then there are years when I just wing it.

posted Hide Post
Yep! Girlfriend you really did sign up! You will be fine. It really is alot of fun. Jean is great to work with and will have everything lined out for you. Nothing to stress about.

Any questions, ask away. Jean or someone will jump into to help.

We're all in this together.

Rondi

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...I think I have a name for my entry - I am I supposed to tell you?

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Yea, glad that you signed up, Big Sis Big Grin.

We are going to have a great challenge this year!

Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Email your quilt name to Jean. I did that a few minutes ago along with my wild a** guess on the trivia.

Picture of tanya f.
posted Hide Post
Hi Jayardi-

I decided to come on the board for the first time in probably over a year and saw that the last date for the challenge is tomorrow. I'm taking this as fate and am sending an email now.

Thanks,
Tanya

Posts: 2019 | Registered: Sep 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ktz
posted Hide Post
I only say I'm crazy because I have a newborn, and our lives has been... Unsettled of late. I enjoy the thrill of this challenge; I just need to it!

Posts: 329 | Registered: Dec 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Moving right along! So many have signed up at last minute. Welcome back Tanya, one of my favorites has been that pink quilt you made in the first challenge. I loved that quilt.

Rondi

Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Welcome back, Tanya! We have missed you and your creativity. So glad you are here with us and participating again.

KTZ, congratulations on the new addition to the family!

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Good to see more players...can never have too many! Big Grin

Tanya, it sure does sound like a sign to me. Welcome back!

Sent my answer to the 50 challenger question, as well as the name of my quilt. Need to go through my fabrics to see if I have a 3rd to send (and get me a little extra to play with Wink)

Posts: 4578 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Ladies, I really do appreciate your help with answering the questions for everyone. Unfortunately, my schedule is beyond reasonable right now. It's been a very long day, so I'm not going to be able to respond to everything tonight. I still have a number of e-mails to reply to, please be patient.

I do want to welcome Tanya back and Congratulate her on finishing that degree. WAY TO GO! She may need a little refresher on some of the new things that have been added to the program since she last participated.

I also wanted to comment on the BONUS Trivia. WOW! We've got some smart ladies or some good guessers. Sure glad I did not specify the payout, because it's not as cut and dry as I thought. Wink

I did figure out another Trivia question on my drive home tonight, but I'm going to wait to post that one. Still have to figure out how to phrase it just right so I don't end up with the same situation.

City/Sandie - Yes, but ONLY me.

Well, I think that covers it for now. I'm off to work on those e-mails.

posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for answering my question. It makes things a lot clearer for me.

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● I've got a quick minute between jobs.

Sue B, I have not received an e-mail from you yet.

Ilovemy4kids, please check your PM's. Thank you.

I'll be back after work tonight.

posted Hide Post
I'm in. Sent you an email! Smile Clueless....but in!

Posts: 523 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
yay!