Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ●.Eighth.Annual.● Scraps.to.Treasures.Challenge
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

●.Eighth.Annual.● Scraps.to.Treasures.Challenge Sign In/Join 
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
Did I qualify for Day 1 bonus? If I did, I'll take a FQ
(can I combine FQs to use 1/4 yard?)

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3535 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● OMG! you are all making my head spin. We have another Task Winner. Big Grin

quote:
Next one to tell me how much 'FUN' she is having
● ● ● Congratulations Aunt Jo ● ● ●
You get another pair of BONUS SQUARES Big Grin

Okay, that is it for awhile. I need to get some work done.

Task 4 is starting now.

Life without quilting is not an option! • • • • • MY Photos • • • • • • ENJOY!

Have you met my Circle of Friends? • • • • • • • PJ Party Tutorials

• • • Please! Support OUR Troops: Gratitude Campaign • • •

Posts: 9626 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Yes, you may use an equivalent measurement for the FQ and for the squares.

Posts: 9626 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
More squares is making me a happy quilter. OOPs, time to go take that material out and put it in dryer.

Libby

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." ~~~Dalai Lama

Posts: 3953 | Location: Lower Va. | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Oh my, I see that all of us stragglers got our quilt named Big Grin. Yea for us! I'm sure that Jean is a happy camper now.

Posts: 5027 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
Hooray!!

Wow!

Posts: 4300 | Location: N.Y., USA | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YIPPEE!!! I can use my fabric. So happy, doin' the happy dance....all from stash. I think this is going to be soooooo cool!

Posts: 523 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
I am so confused about this "task" thing. Are there clues or subtle comments that I am missing?

I've been sewing since 7:00 this morning.

Posts: 2675 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's just a get lucky thing on the task this time. Like we have no clue and if we are lucky enough, we will "do" the task. I wish doing dishes counted! Wink

Posts: 523 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
... I already won once and it was such a lark! Inever win anything .. but I don't even care. that I am PLAYING this is just fun ... I have a plan .. but that's all .. a plan ... 1 fab is washed and dried .. the other one is stilliffy inmy mind so I haven't 'selected' a winner yet ....

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 8995 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● That's the ticket. All you need to do is post. If your post matches the current task, then you win. Big Grin

I have finished tabulating the Trivia results. As I said before, it wasn't as cut and dry as I had thought. So this is what I did. First, you get one pair just for trying. Then you got a pair for each part you got right. Some of you did get all three parts correct, but you also had additional information which was wrong. I added one extra pair to the ones who answered exactly correct.

3 aka Teddylady
4 AngelaC
3 CQwannabe
5 DJBrown
4 Gonesewin
1 Ilovemy4kids
1 J Lu
1 Karen B.
4 LindaWI
5 Lisa - TX
3 Needlecrazy
5 Quiltaholic
1 Quiltedmagnolia
1 SC Lady
3 Terrimae

And for correctly naming who did get it right you will received one pair just for trying, one pair for naming Lisa - TX and one pair for naming each of the others.

2 aka Teddylady
2 Aunt Jo
1 CQwannabe
3 DJBrown
2 Gonesewin
2 J Lu
1 Needlecrazy
1 SC Lady

posted Hide Post
Jean, I don't know how you come up with these things and THEN I don't know how you keep it all straight! OMG! Woman! But I do love you and this challenge! My plan is forming more every day...need to go find my fabbies now...

Posts: 3407 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
My head would be falling off from spinning if I had to keep up with all of this trivia stuff.

I think I'll go finalize my fabric selection, cut off the 1 1/2 yard pieces, throw them in the wash and have them ready to iron tomorrow. Then I can cut sometime. Yikes — where do the weekends go?

Jean, I have a plan, and I'm ready to start designing. Now to figure out how to make it all work. Oooops, I think I figured that out too.

Linear cuts instead of fat quarters okay for the 1/4s we are allowed to use?

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6532 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
Agreed, Colleen, how does Jean keep this all straight. Planning my quilt if only I could estimate how much fabric I have for it.

Posts: 2675 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Needlecrazy, I think this means yes to your question about a linear 1/4 yd cut rather than a FQ. At least I hope so, 'cuz I've done that a few times in the past. Also, instead of 6" square, I've used other measurements, as long as the total area is the same...for instance 4"x9"- still 36 square inches!

quote:
Originally posted by jayardi:
● ● ● Yes, you may use an equivalent measurement for the FQ and for the squares.

Posts: 4576 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay ladies, how about a "check in" respond if you want to, don't if you don't! Smile

1. Do you have your fabrics picked?
2. Do you have them washed?
3. Ironed?
4. Cut?
5. Packaged and ready to go?

Okay, I admit it, I just want to know how quick you are all, it's called cyber spying!! hee hee!

Picture of quiltedmagnolia
posted Hide Post
I chose my fabric today. I drove to Myrtle Beach for a quilt show (disappointing) and then went to Quilter's Cottage and bought the fabric. I rarely buy large amounts of fabric, so couldn't use stash. It is sitting in the washing machine, waiting for me to come home and put it in the dryer.

Posts: 429 | Location: Paradise | Registered: Apr 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
Got 5 pieces washed...just need to make final plan in place so will know which to choose. So guess I only have the fabric washed.

Libby

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." ~~~Dalai Lama

Posts: 3953 | Location: Lower Va. | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
Ilovemy4kids; To your five questions...
1) no
2) no
3) no
4) no and
5) no LOL Smile

Heck, I have no idea what I'm doing, no plan and not sure why I signed up this year. I have my first grandchild due right before the cutting deadline, and lately I spend any spare time I have either working on stuff for the baby or driving 8 hours to see my daughter.

But I do love scrappy, and I am determined to come up with something. Jean I WILL finish this year!!

Posts: 979 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Fabrics are in the washer as we speak. Plan is in the works. Sorta!

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6532 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. yes
5. no

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4913 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a nice $50 check from my grandparents today for my birthday. Probably wont get to the store until next weekend to get my fabric. Busy week at work and I have to drive to Oakland on Tuesday for work. But I did take Friday off for my actual birthday so hoping to buy the

Posts: 1648 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Well, Jean, I should have played the game, huh? I didn't send anything in on that since I knew that I was correct on the answers Cool.

Here are my answers to ilovemy4kids questions:

1. maybe--I have thought about a few possibilities
2. maybe--some of my fabrics are washed already and others are not, depends upon what happens with #1
3. no
4. no
5. definitely not

I'll be doing some more thinking about my fabrics in the coming week and will probably have my final picks by next weekend.

Smile

Posts: 5027 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Keeping track of it is the easy part. Coming up with the ideas is getting harder and harder. Right now I am drawing a blank on any more Trivia questions and it took me a while to create the task list. Although, the point of the task list is working. Wink

With that said we have another winner.
quote:
First person to mention their 'design'
● ● ● Congratulations Needlecrazy!● ● ●
You get another pair of BONUS SQUARES

Well, I'll be... all day I have been trying to come up with the next Trivia question with no luck. Until now while I was writing this post. Sometimes it's better if I just let it happen.

So the next Trivia Question is: This year we have two pairs of sisters participating. In the past we had another pair of sisters. Can you name the sisters not participating this year?

E-mail your answers to me before Tuesday Morning. Two pairs of BONUS SQUARES if you can name both sisters.

Task 6 begins now.

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...i sent a pm ...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: City/Sandie,

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 8995 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
1,2,3,4, yes
5 no

Posts: 4300 | Location: N.Y., USA | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the chatter on this challenge. I have a design charted out, now to see what I get to play with and how much to see if it will work, have to be modified or have to be scrapped...
I was at quilt shop yesterday. Bought several nice pieces of yardage on mark down shelf. Have them washed and drying now. Will try and make up my mind what I want to send. Maybe a combo of stash and new .
Looking like this will be a great year for this challenge.

Rondi

Also:
1/ no
2/ no
3/ no
4/ no
5/ no

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rondiquilts,

Posts: 1540 | Location: winchester,ky | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
Sent a wild guess!

Posts: 484 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ekbuckeye
posted Hide Post
I can see I'm going to have to schedule time to read posts and email everyday! I do have a plan on the drawing board.

Jean, sent you a reply email so you'll know I received yours.

And for questions 1,2,3,4,5 ... No!

Ellen

"Wishing you sunshine and blessings"

Posts: 2283 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: May 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had my design drawn out for 2 months but never posted that I did... was going to go to Joann's when they opened @ 10 but decided to be a good girl and do my lesson planning Smile

Posts: 1648 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love seeing all those "no's" to the questions I posted! Don't feel so behind now. I have a plan, but all plans are subject to change.... noticed many of you are shopping for fabric. I'm using stash. Ugly, but coordinated stash. So when you all get your squares, the REALLY ugly one is from me! Hee Hee!

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Just e-mailed my trivia answer.

and yes, I've picked out my fabrics & washed them...but no to everything else!
I've got a design idea & if I change my mind I'm not sure my name for it will make a whole lot of sense. But then again, not everyone will "get it" anyway...Roll Eyes

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
trying to check this thread on a regular basis; as you tell I haven't won any challenges or tasks. However, I have selected fabs; will look for a third just to de-stash.
Have I washed? NO, had really bad experience washing fabric.
Have I dried -- yes the fabric was dry when I purchased it
Are they cut and packages to mail: No, but I do have the labels made and ** in an envelope
Have I designed? Sorta of. Don't ask me why but I have a "thing" abt divorcing the pairs. Altho I admire those who will take the baggie full, sort by light/dark; sort by colors, etc. I've tried and I just can't split the pairs. I will say that my finished quilt will be very scrappy.
Do I win anything for talking so much and saying nothing?

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3535 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
Motqltr, I'd give you bonus squares just for not divorcing the pairs. What do you think? Big Grin

Deb

Posts: 979 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post

Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
Sent an email.
And 1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. yes
5. yes
and I'm working on my design 95% finished.

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 707 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1) Yes
2) No
3) No
4) No
5) No
Have fabrics ready to wash but have been out of the state for the past few days. Hope to get them washed the next few days. Have a design in my head but it may change once I see the fabrics.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Mar 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
1 and 2= yes
3,4,5=no

Have an idea what I will do, but totally depends on what I get in way of colors!

Posts: 484 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ktz
posted Hide Post
1, 2, 3 yes
4, 5 no
Making progress!

Posts: 329 | Registered: Dec 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
5. Yes.

All are from stash, and I picked 4 fabrics. The best part was that two of them are so old that the actual width of fabric after cutting off the selvedges was 44", so I was able to get 7 squares out of each strip instead of 6. And since they are going to figure prominently in my design, I'm a really happy camper.

So, all are cut and in their baggies. They will get to play all the way to WI with LisaTX's squares, so perhaps they will make really good friends along the way.

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● W O W ! I love all the activity going on here. Keep it up Ladies.

I need to make a correction to the latest Trivia Questions. Seems I overlooked another pair of sisters who have been with us quite a while. I totally forgot they are sisters. I hope they will forgive me. This does not change the answer I am looking for, just wanted to apologize to them for getting my facts wrong. Red Face

Now, on to some BONUS SQUARES. Big Grin I agree with DJ Brown. I would love to, at least once, make a quilt using the pairs as they come in. Motqltr, I don't know how you do it every year, but I am going to reward you with TWO pairs of BONUS SQUARES
for never divorcing your squares. Star

And AngelaC earned herself another TWO pairs also, for showing me the error of my ways. Wink

Plus, while I was still compiling the task list, SavedSinnr used a term that had me laughing out loud. No one caught onto it, so I am taking it off the list and will try to find a substitute for it. Now to go shopping (hopefully in my stash) Big Grin "STASH Shopping". TWO pairs of BONUS SQUARES for you too!.

As for me, I have most of my design figured out, but haven't even begun to choose fabrics. Guess I better go STASH Shopping. Razz

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
Oh, Oh! I know 2 pairs of sisters on the list - now anxious to find out the 3rd set of sisters.

When my girls moved out, they used to come "grocery shopping" at my pantry and freezer. It's a good thing neither one is a quilter, or they'd be stash shopping in my sewing room! LOL

And my answer to all those questions is a resounding NO!

Like a few others have mentioned, I need to check this thread more often. As a newbie, I'll need all the bonus squares I can squeeze out of Jean that I can get. Does anyone know if Jean is susceptible to bribes?????

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2189 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
In answering to ilovemy4kids yes to all sitting in my car waiting to go to the post office. Lois I think in the past we've all tried that approach she doesn't budge although I think she does love chocolate.

J Lu

Posts: 934 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charmingsister
posted Hide Post
Making progress here too. Last night I pulled some fabrics from stash. Just need to make final decisions and get it ironed. (yuck)

And major progress on choosing a design. Hooray.

Posts: 2569 | Location: now in the sunshine | Registered: Oct 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1/ yes
2/ yes
3/ yes
4/ yes
5/ yes!

I am headed to post office. I am so proud of myself. I don't know what has lit this fire under me, guess its the enthusiasm on this thread. I hope I haven't forgotten anything I need to put in the enveleope.

Rondi

Posts: 1540 | Location: winchester,ky | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember that she likes peanut m&m's, homemade guacamole (? could be wrong on that one) & Malou's tofee!

Good luck Lois Wink

Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
Bribing Jean...I'm thinking maybe she could be bribed by giving her more "Bonus Squares".

Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
OH NO, I can't find my picture. I'm using for my quilt.
I wonder where I put it? Well, back to square one. I'm starting my design over. Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 707 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had my fabric chosen, washed and ironed, but now I'm having second thoughts on my design so I might end up choosing some different fabric in which case I might have to wash and iron again. I'm going to make a final decision soon. I think. Anyway it's fun thinking about all of the possibilities. I'm enjoying this thread. Thanks ilovemy4kids for asking your questions.

Posts: 182 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post