Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ●.Eighth.Annual.● Scraps.to.Treasures.Challenge
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

●.Eighth.Annual.● Scraps.to.Treasures.Challenge Sign In/Join 
Picture of jayardi
posted
● ● ● Welcome One and All to the

• • • • • Eighth Annual Scraps to Treasures Challenge • • • • •

This challenge is open to all members of this board. Please DO NOT think you are not good enough to give this a try. You will have SIX months to make your Quilt and with ten chances to win a prize, you may be in for a pleasant surprise. If you are not familiar with the challenge, please click on My Photos to view the Quilts created in the previous Challenges.

Remember this is not an ordinary contest. We are not looking for perfection, just a little fun and admiration from our peers. Also, the quilt does not have to be humongous, only 36x48". So Please reconsider if you think you aren't talented enough, because I know you can do this! It's a great way to stretch your creative juices. Just ask AngelaC. Big Grin

The quilt you create is yours. All I ask is for you to consider donating it to a local charity of your choosing. In the event that you fall in love with it and absolutely can not part with it, then please make a substitute quilt or monetary donation instead.

The Challenge will consist of 5 parts

..I Register & Swap
.II Create your quilt
III Enter your quilt
.IV Voting
..V Awards Show

Part I
════
You must Register to participate in this challenge. Registration will be open until February 19, 2013. All participants will contribute a pair of fabric squares for each contestant. Plus, $5.00 for the Prize Fund.

Each contestant will send in a pair of 6" squares per contestant plus one extra set (just in case). Wink Your squares must coordinate (go together/match) and must be two different values (i.e. light/dark, light/medium or medium/dark)

Choose two 100% good cotton fabrics that coordinate. Please no flannels, homespuns or holiday fabrics.
Wash & Iron fabrics before cutting.
Please REMOVE all selvages before cutting squares.
Pair your squares up WRONG sides together (this will help speed up sorting-Thank you)
……TIP: After cutting your strips, pair up the two fabrics wrong sides together then cut into squares.
Please offset each pair (a ¼" will do) when you stack them.
Place all squares into a Ziploc bag with an envelope which has my name and address on the front. Put your name, address and HGTV Name on a card and insert in envelope along with all monies due (a total of $10 = $5 for return postage and $5 for Prize Fund). Please indicate if you are using stash on the card.

Mail to me so they arrive by March 21, 2013. All packages will be returned via Flat Rate Priority. I will use Click 'n Ship, which has Delivery Confirmation included. You will not need to supply any packaging or labels.

Attention WI Challengers I am grateful for your assistance with the sorting. If you are willing, Saturday, March 23, will be sorting day. Then all packages will be back in the mail by April 1st, and everyone will have a full six months to play with their squares.

Now for you Stashbusters! - Actually this is for all, it was never my intention for you to go out and buy new fabric for this challenge. Anyone who uses stash for their initial squares will be allowed to add an extra FQ to the mix. Yes, it still has to be only two fabrics, but I will rescind the fact that they have to coordinate/match (please try) but they must be two different values. Maybe, you only have enough for one of the fabrics, then the other will have to coordinate/match. Please mark your card if your fabric(s) are from stash

Part II
════
You can start planning your quilt now. You may have to make a few changes, but if you think scrappy you will have a good head start. I'm still working on my design. Hope to have if finalized by the time the squares are all here.

When you receive your squares it's time to PLAY ! Create a quilt of your choosing, any way you want to do it. YES, you can use a pattern, but I would really love to see what you can come up with on your own. Big Grin

Rules to Create your Quilt
══════════════════
1. Each Square must be cut down from its original size.
2. You must use at least a 2" square (or equivalent) from each fabric.
...a - You may exchange one square - ONLY ONE
3. You can ADD 5 pairs of 6" squares from your stash. These can be anything you wish, but each must be a different fabric.
4. You can ADD 5 different Fat Quarters (or equivalent) from your stash.
5. You will need to supply your own backing and binding.
6. Quilt must measure a minimum of 36x48".
7. Please Name your Quilt.

BONUS SQUARES
Now remember, there are a number of ways to earn BONUS SQUARES to increase your fabric allotment.

First: The Quilt Maker Contest which 24 of you have already earned 120 pairs of BONUS SQUARES. I will send a complete list of those numbers with your package.

Second: and this is my FAVORITE! Razz You will be able to add an additional 2 pairs of BONUS SQUARES if your initial fabrics are NOT FLORAL.

Third: If your fabrics meet certain criteria, you will be able to add up to FIVE pairs of BONUS SQUARES. The criteria requirement is a secret and has different levels you can achieve. I will post a list as your squares arrive to let you know how many you have earned. Please note the requirements change each year.

Fourth: Remember the square you exchanged last year? If you send it back to me with your squares, you will be able to add an extra pair of BONUS SQUARES.

Fifth: Each Challenger who submitted an entry last year is allowed to add another five pairs of BONUS SQUARES.

And lastly, you will be able to use the remnants of your initial fabrics (total amount yet to be established). Once the quantities are determined, I will let you know how much extra will be allowed. That means you can not buy an extra three yards thinking you will be able to use all of that.

For example, one year we had 49 contestants, which meant you needed 1.5 yards of each fabric to cut the 6" squares. The last strip would have only needed one square cut from it, so I allowed you to use the remainder of that strip, plus all the ends of the other strips.

Recruiting Bonus
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

For anyone who recruits a 'Newbie' you will be able to add TWO pairs of
BONUS SQUARES for each Newbie.
The 'Newbie' must include your name in their Registration e-mail as
their recruiter in order to qualify.

Let me define 'Newbie' - any quilter who has not participated in this challenge
before. Both the Newbie and the Recruiter will receive the BONUS SQUARES.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

These are just a few of the ways to earn extra BONUS SQUARES. Throughout the registration process I will throw in a few SURPRISES for earning more BONUS SQUARES. And if you have any ideas, please share them with me and if the idea works, you will earn two more pairs of BONUS SQUARES.

Part III
═════
Quilt must be Finished!
E-mail me a FULL size photo of your Quilt by October 4, 2013. (file size should be a minimum 1MB)
You may not post a photo or give a description of your Quilt until the voting is complete.
The voting will be completely anonymous, so Please follow the above rule.
I will create a gallery of the photos for all to see and vote on. Photos of the past challenges are in My Photos.

Part IV
════
The voting will begin on October 6, 2013, and will be open to everyone on this message board.

The Polls will close on October 19, 2013, at 9:00am CST. The results will be tabulated by myself and Lisa - TX, just in case I have a chance of winning. Razz

Part V
════
The ceremonies will begin on Sunday, October 20, 2013. You will not want to miss this event! It is the highlight of the year (in my opinion). We will be rolling out the Red Carpet again with champagne and chocolate. Big Grin

Hope to see you all there! Big Grin

Life without quilting is not an option! • • • • • MY Photos • • • • • • ENJOY!

Have you met my Circle of Friends? • • • • • • • PJ Party Tutorials

• • • Please! Support OUR Troops: Gratitude Campaign • • •

Posts: 9611 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Registration is Now Open until February 19, 2013

In order to participate you must send me an e-mail: jayardi@wi.rr.com. NO PM's .
Please put Scrap Challenge in the subject line and include your HGTV Board name, real name and address.

When Registration is complete, I will e-mail the count along with my address.
Do not send your squares until you receive the final count.

Sure hope that covers everything. Don't think I forgot anything, but I may be wrong. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Let the FUN begin!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jayardi,

Posts: 9611 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● REPEAT SURPRISE

Name your Quilt NOW ! Big Grin

I know a lot of you hate this part of the Challenge, but it is a necessity. Roll Eyes I've decided, to try and make it a little easier. If you can name your quilt now, and send me the name of your quilt with your squares, you will be allowed to add an EXTRA FQ to your mix. Just in case you think you might forget, you can e-mail it to me before your squares arrive.

I've got my name picked out already. Razz

GREAT BONUS SURPRISE

In the past, I usually add incentives for BONUS SQUARES to increase participation. I know it's unfair to those who have already registered, so this year I'm adding a new twist. Big Grin

DAY 1 BONUS

Anyone who registers today will receive 5 pairs of BONUS SQUARES or 1 FAT QUARTER.
The choice is yours, but you must let me know which one.

I have pre-registered those of you who have indicated you will be participating this year so you do not miss this BONUS.

BONUS SURPRISE Number 2 First Recruit/Recruiter
The first Newbie Recruit and her Recruiter will receive 5 pairs of BONUS SQUARES in addition to the original 2 pairs for recruiting.

Remember, the recruit must include the Recruiter's name in her registration e-mail.

posted Hide Post
WooHoo! The new challenge is up! Thanks Jean, for all the work you have done and are about to do!!!

As you indicted by pre-registering me, yes'm, I am officially throwing my hat in the ring.

Now...what in the world will I make???

Posts: 3405 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
Just sent my email, jumping in again this year!!!

Posts: 2671 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Whooo Hoooo is RIGHT Axel! I just got my first e-mail.

Welcome back CQWannabe.

I've got an errand to run, so I'll be back later to update the list.

Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Glad to see my name already on the list! I WILL finish my quilt by the deadline this year.

Hope we get a record number of participants!

Posts: 5023 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Off to send you an e-mail. It will be from my work address instead of my Hotmail because I am on lunch break @ work and can't get into Hotmail.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sent an e-mail Smile

Posts: 1632 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I am SO looking forward to this challenge!

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4904 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Count me in! I'm about caught up with over due projects, have some time on my hands, and a new committment, to myself, to challenge myself. Will send you email shortly.

Posts: 828 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be an observer this year. Too many commitments that don't include sewing time this summer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

Posts: 7979 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Email already sent, and I sure do need that extra bonus! So, I'm in. Glad to see I'm already there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: needlecrazy,

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6522 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Ok Jean I just sent you a PM. Count me in.

J Lu

Posts: 932 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Some days I'm racking my brain to come up with new ideas and then there are times, they just keep a comin'. Big Grin

Good News for You!

Any predictions on how many will register to get the Day 1 BONUS? Send me an email with your prediction/guess to earn a pair of BONUS SQUARES. The person who is the closest within 5 will get another pair.

One thing you need to take into consideration is the Day 1 BONUS is for a full twenty-four hours. The twenty-four hours ends at 2:51pm tomorrow.

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Got it J Lu, but please send me an e-mail!

EVERYONE MUST REGISTER BY E-MAIL NO PM'S!

Just click my address above.

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Oops ok I sent you an email also. My bad!

J Lu

Posts: 932 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Sent you a wild prediction!

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6522 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2671 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charmingsister
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2564 | Location: now in the sunshine | Registered: Oct 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duh! No brainer! Email sent!

Thank you!

Rondi

Posts: 1534 | Location: winchester,ky | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ekbuckeye
posted Hide Post
I don't know why this challenge has always seemed so complicated to me, but if I want to play as one of your newbie recruits, I have questions...

Do I send the same 2 squares for everyone or can they be different?

If, say, 30 people play, that's 60 6" squares. Is that all the fabric I can use or are bonus squares the only fabric that can be added?
(Never mind, I just went back and re-read the guidelines about adding 5 FQs.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ekbuckeye,

Ellen

"Wishing you sunshine and blessings"

Posts: 2281 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: May 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Good questions Ellen.

Yes, each person gets the same two squares. Hopefully, we will have more than 30 sign up, but those numbers would be correct.

You can also add 5 pairs of Squares right off the bat. Plus the 5 FQ's. If you register today, you'll get 5 more pairs of BONUS SQUARES or another FQ. C'mon, you'll be our first Newbie. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Email sent

Posts: 117 | Registered: Sep 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
Hi I'm in!

Sent you an email. Smile

~Jo~

Posts: 4296 | Location: N.Y., USA | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
So how long do we have before the day 1 prediction has to be submitted?Smile?

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● You may send your predictions in by two pm tomorrow. I will not be posting any more updates until tomorrow afternoon.

I can tell you we have eight Quilt Names already. Smile

Remember the Day 1 BONUS goes through 2:51pm tomorrow.
I'll be back then to post the results and update the list.

Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, when to guess. I'll have to think on that one Wink.

Anyone want to be a recruit of mine? I have tried to get Bingo Bonnie in the past. Who should I hit up this year?Cool? Pretty sure that I tried to recruit Lindsay in the past too.

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● I've decided I want to play too. At least I'll get one more pair of BONUS SQUARES. Mine's only a guess too, but I'm hopeful it will get this high. I'm posting my prediction here so there is no discrepancies. My prediction is 32. At this time, no one has predicted this number, and there is no guarantee it is correct, but you are welcome to send in the same number. There are 14 hours left, so it could get that high. That's the last hint I'll give, letting you know we are not there yet. Wink

You still have to e-mail your prediction to me.

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Thanks for pre-registering me. Sent my pm with my guess. Big Grin

Posts: 4570 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Anyone on the fence?
This really is fun, but nervewracking too...lives up to it's billing as a "challenge". It's one thing to make a scrappy quilt with your own scraps- you have control of what you use. But this one you are at the mercy of 30-40 other quilters! BUT, you can do it!! I've done it 6 times already & managed to end up in the winners circle a couple of times Big Grin

I've both donated & kept my entries. But you feel really good knowing you've helped someone else when you do donate it. (Last year I was really happy to hear that my quilt helped raise over $1000 for a needy family)

If you've never done this before & decide to jump in, feel free to tell Jayardi that AngelaC sent you! Wink Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AngelaC,

Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
I'm in!!! Sending you an email or 2.
Thanks Jean,

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 704 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to a big group this year!

Cookie

Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Sending an email...

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

For donated quilts for the kids, check out the photos at
http://kc1930.blogspot.com/201...-pictures-below.html

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
sent my e-mail last night to join and my prediction.

Posts: 479 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I pulled my fabrics...

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

Posts: 4904 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
Jayardi, I am awaiting a scheduled doctors appointment with a neurosurgeon. I have been down in my back since Thanksgiving and had a MRI a couple of weeks ago. I have a couple of bad disk in my lower back.

I am going to sit this one out because I am not sure what my summer is going to look like.

Posts: 3603 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quiltedmagnolia
posted Hide Post
Good luck, WarmBuns!

SOMEONE RECRUIT ME, PLEASE!

Posts: 429 | Location: Paradise | Registered: Apr 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
quiltedmagnolia, I'll recruit you!!! Please join the challenge it is really fun. Last year was my first STC, scary but so worth it.

warm buns, get well.

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● I am pleased to announce we had a record 28 registrations in the first 24 hours. Thank You Ladies!

Out of 17 predictions, we had one person hit it exactly. Congratulations Karen B. You just earned another TWO pairs of BONUS SQUARES for a total of three pairs. Everyone who submitted a prediction earned one pair. Big Grin

I am also pleased to announce we have four NEWBIES joining us already. And, we have a tie for the First Recruit/Recruiter. Big Grin

Newbie Ekbuckeye was Recruited by ME and Newbie PatriciaAnne was Recruited by AngelaC. All four of us will receive an EXTRA FIVE pairs of BONUS SQUARES.

The other two Newbies are SavedSinnr and Quiltedmagnolia. Welcome Ladies! You and your recruiters each can add another two pairs.

Now, please don't worry about keeping track of how many BONUS SQUARES you have earned. I will send a complete spread sheet to let you know exactly how many each participant has earned.

The DAY 1 BONUS is now over, but there are still a number of you who have not indicated if you would prefer the FQ or Five BONUS SQUARES. Please let me know as soon as you can.

For those of you still on the fence or just finding us, there are still more ways to earn those BONUS SQUARES. Believe me, they'll come in handy when you start your quilt.

Who is going to be the next participant?

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I'll take the bonus squares Smile

Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
I'll take the fq.

Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
FQ please Smile

Posts: 977 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Ouch Linda, sorry to hear you are suffering. Hope everything goes well for you. And, we'll see you back next year. Smile

Picture of Charmingsister
posted Hide Post
FQ bonus please.

WarmBuns, I'll keep you in my prayers and send positive thoughts that things go well for you.

Posts: 2564 | Location: now in the sunshine | Registered: Oct 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
I'll take bonus squares. Thanks so Much!
Wow Angela and I really were one of the first recruit/recruiter team? Oh boy Extras! Had to e-mail you from work, which I never take advantage of. Angela was so excited that I just had to do it!

Posts: 479 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want the squares.

Posts: 117 | Registered: Sep 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LindaWI
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to my sister Karen B for her guess of 28! Right on the button! Way to go girl!

Posts: 254 | Location: Southern WI | Registered: Aug 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Decisions, decisions . . . I would like the FQ please.

Thank you!

Big Grin

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Woo-hoo! Another 5 pair of squares Big Grin It's true, I called Pat as soon as I saw the sign up & the possibility for more BONUS SQUARES & told her she had to e-mail you right away.

I think I'll go with the FQ for the 1st day bonus. Did you want us to e-mail our choice too?