Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ●.Eighth.Annual.● Scraps.to.Treasures.Challenge
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

●.Eighth.Annual.● Scraps.to.Treasures.Challenge Sign In/Join 
Picture of terrimae
posted Hide Post
For my first-day bonus I'd prefer the FQ. Thanx.

Posts: 1824 | Location: East Coast | Registered: Dec 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
I'll take FQ's please. Congrats to you Karen. Welcome newbies I know you are going to enjoy this challenge. I was a newbie last year. Jean is a great leader. Jean can I get my extra's now for promoting you. Pleaseeeeeeeeeee!

J Lu

Posts: 934 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on picking the magic number, Karen Smile.

Now what does Miss Jean have up her sleeve next?

Posts: 5028 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
I'll take squares, please. Pulled and washed my fabric yesterday. I'm ready for a challenge.

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 708 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I said 29 challengers- darn- one off Smile

I will take the extra FQ for the first day challenge.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ●
quote:
Now what does Miss Jean have up her sleeve next?
A very cold arm. Big Grin The snow is really coming down today.

Day two has been very slow here. Sure hope we get a few more challengers.

Life without quilting is not an option! • • • • • MY Photos • • • • • • ENJOY!

Have you met my Circle of Friends? • • • • • • • PJ Party Tutorials

• • • Please! Support OUR Troops: Gratitude Campaign • • •

Posts: 9631 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't believe its that time of year again!!

Jane_kiwi

Posts: 1800 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● OMG! I almost went into shock. First, Nancyc20 sent me an e-mail and then I saw Jane's name on the thread.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I loved Nancy's quilt last year, but I got the impression the challenge was a bit overwhelming, so I wasn't expecting her to come back. I am so HAPPY she's going to play again.

And now Jane, she's on the retreat committee this year, so I knew she wouldn't be playing. So, I'm not surprised she hasn't committed {yet Wink}

Posts: 9631 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
Now I am supper bummed. I got the email today/Thur Feb 7th after working all day and being on an hour conference call after work. I thought you opened it today. I replied to email, sent my 1st 24 hour prediction and I named that quilt.
I'm game for another year, have my fabs and am set to cut that fabric.
This is so much fun.

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3543 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Motqltr, be happy I remembered to send you an e-mail. You're the only one I contacted because I know you don't get on the boards very often and I didn't want to miss you again like the last time. Eek

I was crunching some numbers last night and there is no way my idea is going to work with only 28 challengers. Sure hope we get at least another dozen, but MORE would be better.

Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
Sent my quilt name and 1st day bonus preference via email.

I have an idea need to do some math this weekend to see if it is even possible.

Posts: 2677 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ktz
posted Hide Post
I'm on the fence at this point... I have a 3-week-old, so I still don't know what my sewing time will look like!

Posts: 329 | Registered: Dec 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Jean just want to make sure you saw I named my quilt when I emailed you the first time.

J Lu

Posts: 934 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Yes Ma'am, I have it.

Totally understand KTZ. Sure hope you will be able to join us again.

posted Hide Post
I wandered Joanns but didn't find any that had to come home to use in this challenge (and the $ off wasn't that great- 25% + 20% coupon).

Question- I didn't see it in the regulations-- but are we allowed to send in a 3rd fabric? I will probably have to go shopping because most of my stash is 1/2 yards or less.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Jen the short answer is yes. I'll be back later with more details so we don't confuse the Newbies.

Last night I received a very inquisitive e-mail. She asked a lot of questions I think other Newbies may want to know also.

posted Hide Post
Sounds good, Jean. Will wait until the registration closes anywa1sty. Might have to go shopping on my birthday on the 1st Smile for the challenge. I'm just glad you are hosting again, since I enjoyed my Australia and castle quilts I have made the last 2 years!

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ●
quote:
Question- I didn't see it in the regulations-- but are we allowed to send in a 3rd fabric?

Yes, another way to increase our fabric squares is by sending in extras for everyone. Over the years, some of our participants have so much stash that they have shared by sending in additional squares for us to play with. This is not a requirement, but you can send in an extra square or two for each participant. For those who do send in extra squares, you are allowed to add an extra FQ to your mix and you will also be able to use the remnants, just like the original fabrics.

Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
We need more players! Who else is willing to jump in?

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6536 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
quote:
3. You can ADD 5 pairs of 6" squares from your stash. These can be anything you wish, but each must be a different fabric.
Is the two colors to a pair ( like pairs sent in) or any five different colors for total of 10 squares?
Just thinking on this....someone is trying to get to join...

Libby

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." ~~~Dalai Lama

Posts: 3953 | Location: Lower Va. | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come and join! Like Jayardi, my plan won't work either with only 28 challengers.

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Hi Libby, the squares you add from your stash can be anything. There are no restrictions whatsoever. So no, they are not like the pairs you send in. As long as each fabric you add is different. Say for instance you need more background fabric. All ten of those squares could be whites/creams/beiges, whatever, as long as you use ten different fabrics. Same for the FQ's you add. All the FQ's you add could be white on whites as long as the prints are different you are good to go.

Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
Jean, Thanks for info...I'll sleep on this before I decide.

Libby

Posts: 3953 | Location: Lower Va. | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
C'mon, Libby! This is so much fun. I know you can do a great job with this.

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6536 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Libby you will bee sooo happy you came on board. It is fun and frustrating at the same time.

J Lu

Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Have you slept yet, Libby Big Grin. Hope that you will join us for the fun!

Cookie

Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
Sending that e-mail today...Yes, Jan (J LU) you did good work on me.

Libby

Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Yea! Looking forward to our group growing some more.

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● I'm between jobs right now. Only have a few minutes before the next one starts. I have received three more registrations, two being newbies. Big Grin I will update the list when I get home from work tonight.

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Yay! Glad you made it Libby you won't be sorry.

J Lu

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Okay, I'm home. These next few weeks are going to be late night postings. Please be patient if you need a question answered. I'll get to it as soon as I can. If you post it here, someone may be able to answer it for you while I'm at work.

I updated the list on page one. We're up to 32 challengers, which includes 6 Newbies. YIPPEE!!!

posted Hide Post
As much as I enjoy this-I will be a cheerleader this year. GO TEAM!

Karen

Posts: 609 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: Feb 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that you won't be joining this year, Karen. Glad that you'll be a cheerleader though and you can definitely vote when the time comes Smile.

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Oh my, not a single peep since this morning. Frown

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by May Baby:
As much as I enjoy this-I will be a cheerleader this year. GO TEAM! Karen

I'm also in this category this year.

Posts: 7994 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
washing two of my stash today ..waiting to see how many blocks I need to see if these two has enough yardage.

Help, Please on tips/ hints on material/fabric to select to send.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SC Lady,

Libby

Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Help, Please on tips/ hints on material/fabric to select to send.

As a newbie last year (ok this year only a 2nd year newbie), I choose fabric based on what I thought I'd want to use in my quilt and considered the color value of my choice.

Posts: 2677 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
I definitely pick out fabrics that I think I will need for my design, then play with values. I do tend to pick tone-on-tones since they blend well with the sometimes wild and crazy selections by some of my *ahem* friends.

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Those of us who have done this for a few years have learned to choose fabrics that will help fill in our designs because you get to use the leftovers. I know you probably don't have a clue what you are going to do yet, but like Needlecrazy said, picking tones or blenders can really be helpful.

On the other hand, using stash isn't always going to be cooperative. And, if you don't have a plan yet, then it could be a difficult choice. Don't worry, I'm not trying to scare you. As long as you pick fabrics YOU like, then you'll be fine.

Sure hope we get a few more challengers. Looks like I might have to start bribing a few people. Wink

Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
Come join us !!

Posts: 4305 | Location: N.Y., USA | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● We're still stuck at 32 and I haven't had much time for anything this week. Mad
And now it looks like my weekend may be non-existent too. Frown

I will have a bit more time next week, so I'll try to think up some FUN SURPRISES.
If you have an idea, be sure to send me an e-mail.

Picture of Charmingsister
posted Hide Post
Don't be shy. Please come join the fun. We'd love to have you and the more fabric the better.

Posts: 2569 | Location: now in the sunshine | Registered: Oct 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
When you send a third block for each..Do you stack with other two or is it sent in separate pile?? If its floral does it take away your 2 bonus squares? See I ask lots of questions..

Libby

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● I've only got a minute, but wanted to answer your questions. When including a third fabric, please sandwich in between your two squares. If sending in two (an extra pair) please stack as a separate set of squares.

Regarding the NO FLORAL BONUS: in order to qualify for this, none of the fabrics can have a floral design. However, vines, leaves and foliage are not floral in my book. Wink

I hope this answers your questions. And don't worry how many questions you have, I want you and anyone else who maybe thinking about this to completely understand. So ask away...

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
What makes the sky blue? Where do babies come from? Why is Tweety Bird your avatar? Shall I go on?

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4915 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
hahahahaah!

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8436 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SC Lady
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, vines, leaves and foliage are not floral in my book.
Thanks for quick reply...OH! Yes this makes me very happy Big Grin

Libby

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● You are very welcome Libby. Glad I could help.

Gonesewin' the sky is blue because it absorbs all the blue light from the sun and reflects all the others. And, babies come from a very excited mommy and daddy. (play the wheels on the bus go round and round) I like Tweety and when I went searching for an Avatar long ago, that was the only one that I felt said "me". Please do go on, but it would be best if you kept the questions related to the current topic. OK? Big Grin

Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
I simply LOVE it!!! Ya'll make it sew much fun. Jean-Lori that was cute.

Come on people if you are on the fence PLEASE join in. Win or not it is so much fun to challenge yourself to sew and make a new and different kind of quilt.
Sheila

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 708 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● I'm actually going to get to sew today. Big Grin YIPPEE! but, not just yet. Need to catch up on some beauty sleep first. I know one person who is thinking about joining us. As soon as I get her e-mail, I'll update the list.

Be back later...