Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ►►Red, White and Blue Strip Swap◄◄
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

►►Red, White and Blue Strip Swap◄◄ Sign In/Join 
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted
I think we have enough interest to have a good swap. Please post on this thread and send me a PM with your info (real name, address, email) to sign up.

General guidelines~

We are looking for red & white or blue fabrics. Things that would work in patriotic quilts. Tone on tones, prints (but not kiddie prints), stripes, etc. Flags or flag prints are ok. Gold, and tan can be part of the print too, as long as the fabric reads patriotic/rwb. No solids. No white on white fabrics.

1. Fabric must be good quality 100% cotton fabric. I will send back anything that doesn't meet this requirement.

2. Washing your fabric is optional. My best friend is the Color Catcher cloth that you throw in the wash. Smile

3. Cut your fabric into 6- 5 inch strips from selvage to selvage. Please make sure you don't have any 'elbows' in your strip! I will spot check for that too. Wink

4. 6 strips of one fabric makes a 'set'. You may send in up to 4 sets. Each set should be a different fabric. (I may change this if we get enough swappers)Ok, I maybe need to re-write that guideline a bit. 6 strips of one fabric makes a set and you can't use that fabric in any other set. BUT you can send 3 of one fabric and 3 of another fabric to make the set~ as long as those 2 fabrics are not used in any other set. Since there are so few of us, that would help with avoiding getting too many duplicates. But you don't need to do that, as it would mean buying more fabric and I don't want anyone to do that just for this swap. I will work my hardest to insure everyone gets the best possible variety back.

5. Put all your strips in a ziplock bag with a card that has your name & address on one side and mine on the other. (Sets do not need individual baggies).

6. Include enough postage to get your strips back to you. I love the flat rate padded envelopes that the PO offers for free on their website! I will send your strips back to you in one of these mailers~ I have plenty. Include your return address and six doll@rs for postage.

Please keep in mind that if everyone runs to JoAnn's to get their fabric, you won't get much variety back. Try to shop places that others might not have in their area. Wink

I will take sign-up's for one week. Then I will set up a group PM with my address for you.
Strips are due to me by July 19th.
and I will get them back to you the next week.

Let's have some fun ladies!
Who would like to join me?

Swappers~

1. crazy'boutquilts Wave ready Smile

2. Kay-lin Wave received Smile

3. Jacky Wave received Smile

4. mcpatches Wave received Smile

5. cksvett Wave received Smile

6. nlk Wave received Smile

7. Aliquilt Wave received Smile

8. wildcatmom Wave received Smile

9. Elainetoo Wave received Smile

10. Karibbean Quilter Wave received Smile

11. Susarina Wave received Smile

12. RN55 Wave received Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crazy'boutquilts,

Posts: 10497 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
Wave Me; add me!! Wave Big Grin

Posts: 4441 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
ME please!!!!

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8941 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Sanie, I'm in!

Posts: 5778 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
Thinking...& checking my stash. I'll get back to you.Smile

~karen Wave

Posts: 3205 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Guess I can get this done by the middle of July! Add me to the list please... Chris

Posts: 6075 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I will join in on this one. Add me to the list.

Nicki

Posts: 8164 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoohoo! Welcome ladies! C'mon Karen, we would love to swap with you. Smile

Posts: 10497 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bumpity bump Wave

Happy Friday!!

posted Hide Post
Any one else on the fence? Wink

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
I do have to laugh about you comment on Joanns as in the add that starts tomorrow, all their patriotic fabrics are on sale! Chris

Posts: 6075 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL Chris, I knew they'd have a sale~ and that is great for those who have no where else to shop. SmileWell, even if everyone who shopped there chose different prints it would be ok. I am trying to shop other places though to help avoid too many duplicates. Wink

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I found some on an on-line shop that I ordered. I like them & am hoping y'all do too.

Crazy, can we take a poll to see how many prefer washed fabrics? I would like to do whatever the majority wants.

Nicki

Posts: 8164 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure Nicki Smile

Swappers? Washed or unwashed? majority will decide it. Smile

Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
I vote for unwashed, but will happily wash if that's what people prefer.

I got some beauties at LQS yesterday. I'll keep my cutter closed until we hear from the other swappers. Smile

Posts: 4441 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I prefer unwashed.

Nicki

Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
Washed,but unwashed is ok!!

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8941 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since they'll be due after the first, count me in. If I don't find anything in my stash, I'll be able to shop the first and mail off the next day to get to you in time!

Posts: 837 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome Ali! Smile

I guess washed/unwashed it is up to you. Smile

Our sign up date has passed, but if anyone wants to join and can get their strips in by the 19th of July, we will happily welcome you! Wave

I'll send out a group PM with my address by the weekend.

Happy fabric hunting ladies!! Wave

Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
oops, I messed up...I thought we had until tomorrow to commit, ...I just watched the PBS "Quilts of Valor" special I'd recorded a couple weeks ago, and I really do need to do this.
crazy, since you said I could, I will be sending strips in....but number depends on what I find since my stash didn't yield much.

~karen Wave

Posts: 3205 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I've got mine cut into the strips & ready to mail out when we get the p.m. from you. I'm happy with the fabric I'm sending.

Nicki

posted Hide Post
Sounds great Karen! I will include you in the PM. Smile

Anyone else want to hop in before the PM goes out? Wink

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Just checked my calendar.. I can make the due date, so please add me to the list. PM coming.

Going to one of the LQS's shortly, so timing is perfect.

Posts: 8074 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoohoo!! Welcome Elainetoo! Smile

posted Hide Post
PM sent to all. Happy shopping ladies! Wave

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
"I am going to mix my sets a bit so that if someone sends the same fabric, we will have less."

You just mean you're going to have 4 sets with each being a different fabric right - not different fabrics in one set..??

Just want to verify, so I do it right.
"4. 6 strips of one fabric makes a 'set'. You may send in up to 4 sets. Each set should be a different fabric. (I may change this if we get enough swappers)"

Thanks.

Posts: 8074 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I maybe need to re-write that guideline a bit. 6 strips of one fabric makes a set and you can't use that fabric in any other set. BUT you can send 3 of one fabric and 3 of another fabric to make the set~ as long as those 2 fabrics are not used in any other set. Since there are so few of us, that would help with avoiding getting too many duplicates. But you don't need to do that, as it would mean buying more fabric and I don't want anyone to do that just for this swap. I will work my hardest to insure everyone gets the best possible variety back.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crazy'boutquilts,

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Thank you for clarifying. This gives me options as I start going through stash.

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Mine will go out Wednesday. Would be tomorrow but have a lunch date so I can't go tomorrow. Sending 4 sets of 6 in a set the same. Guess I have been in too many of KC's swaps, so I just automatically to that... Chris

posted Hide Post
Welcome to Karibbean Quilter and Susarina! Smile

I did make the additions to the guidelines above. Have a happy day everyone!

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Mine went out today with a post office tracking #... 9505 5102 2271 3170 3731 45

Expected delivery is Friday (6/21)

Nicki

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Picked up 2 yards today at Burkholders on my round-about way to the COF. They were different then I had seen at home. Now to find 2 more on the road-trip Saturday.

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Mailed mine today so it was gone before I went to COF... Chris

posted Hide Post
Nicki~ your beautiful strips arrived today! Smile And thank you for the really sweet mug rug! DH is eying it, so I'd better go get my tea glass on it! LOL Wink

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Yea! I'm glad it came & hopefully they are acceptable. I know you will be checking each one & I tried hard to abide by the rules. Wink Maybe you should be a sweetie & let your DH use 1/2 of the mug rug. LOL

Nicki

posted Hide Post
Chris (cksvett) your strips are here! Love them~ and no duplicates to Nicki's or mine. LOL We are on a roll!! Smile

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Mine are cut, but didn't get to the post office to get an envelope. They will go out the first part of next week.

Posts: 5778 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
I knew something wasn't right when I just looked at my mailing costs - way high! and it dawned on me that I didn't send the $6.00 mailing costs.. so that's coming separately. Sorry.

Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
I must have missed this is it still open I see strips are due July 19th? If I can get I would.

Posts: 434 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We would love to have you RN! Smile

PM me when you are ready to send your strips and I'll give you my address. Smile

Elainetoo your lovelies arrived! And still no duplicates! You ladies rock!! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
bump Cool

Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
ok let me make sure I have this correct. I have 4 fabrics, I cut them in 6-5inch strips and that will be my 4 sets? correct?

Posts: 434 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cut your fabric into 5 inch strips, selvage to selvage.
6 strips of fabric makes one set.
You can send in up to 4 sets or 24 strips total; but no more than 6 strips of any one fabric.

Did I confuse you more? Wink

Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
Nope I got it still only 4 sets?

posted Hide Post
Yep, 4 sets. They fit really well into the flat rate padded envelope for the less expensive postage. Wink

posted Hide Post
McPatches~ your beauties are here! Smile Great group of fabrics~ and still no duplicates! Wave

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Oooo-weee, it's exciting to see that there are no duplicates yet. I wonder if everyone's fabric will be different. Wouldn't that be a first in a swap? Smile

Nicki

posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday America!! My swap went to post office Wednesday, the tracking # is sittijg at dd hoise .. I sejt 3 sets, 2 are same fabric and third has 3+3. I had 4 pieces selected to send but one disappeared..can't imagime what I did with it. Can't wait to see the beauties in return. Thanks.for the swap.

Posts: 837 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaribbeanQuilter
posted Hide Post
Happy 4th to all! Sorry, I'm not my usual speedy self with this swap. I ordered the flat rate squishies some weeks ago, but they haven't arrived. If they don't come in tomorrow, I'll give up and send the strips in different packaging. Susarina is sending some separately. Thank you so much for hosting -- this is going to be a 3-generation project!

Posts: 542 | Registered: Jul 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KariQ I had a problem getting my first order of envelopes, so re-ordered; then both orders showed up! I'm in envelopes for a while now! LOL Wink

Ali~ your strips arrived! Smile I love them~ and still no duplicates! Big Grin