Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  March UFO...Check out our lucky winner!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

March UFO...Check out our lucky winner!!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted
Welcome to our March UFO Challenge! We are already 1/3 of the way through this Challenge!!!

So, without too much more delay, here's your Challenge assignment for March. I hope you feel lucky!!!

Here's your list for March:

Will Quilt for Chocolate - HGTV BOM...sew blocks together, quilt and bind Smile

Headielamar…CQ Forest Wallhanging - add border, quilt and bind. Smile

Seeing Stars…Fish block swap - join blocks and so on Smile

Mcpatches…Joann Fabrics Desert Sky block of the month - assemble blocks, border, quilt, bind Smile

Gonesewin…2013 RRRR blocks to be sewn together, sandwiched and quilted - to be donated Smile

Nancyc20…Vintage Redwork top quilted and bound.

Quilter Jen…Bright butterfly quilt- add border, quilt and bind

Wiley…Table topper--quilt, trim and bind.Smile

RN55…Hgtv bom 2013; sew rows, borders, quilt, bind

Warm buns…T shirt quilt for my niece that I have had for 2 years now. Need to piece the blocks together and quilt and bind.

Cookie Quilts… Postage Stamp Quilt. Huge Project, I've only cut the strips! So complete

Irish62…RRRR hgtv rows...sew rows tog & quilt

Sew Happy… Alaska, quilt and bind Smile

Gardenpat - Stepping stones- back, quilt & bindSmile

Susan-TN - Fall Kaleidoscope- assemble blocks & sew them together.

PatriciaAnne - Snowball and Roses lap quilt-quilt & bind Smile

Needlecrazy - Shey's paper-pieced challenge: finish applique, quilt, bind.

Toryam - Malea's baby quilt: assemble blocks, quilt, bind (sea turtle)

3grandkids - Fruit and vegetable wall hanging - needs backed, quilted, and bound. Smile

Malou - Two sets, 4 ea Place Mats: finish quilting Smile

Ilovemy4kids - My Bday quilt (top done, needs put together)

Quiltedmagnolia - Charlotte COF round robin - sandwich, quilt, and bind

Rainbow - Pink TV quilt for niece. Finish top, quilt/bind Smile

Gemsq - Modern lap quilt: quilt as you go: complete sashings and binding; maybe add bordersSmile

MountainLaurel - Chicken BOM... needs sandwiched, quilted and binding Smile

GaAngel97 - Blue Jean Quilt (Green) - Cut squares from jeans and flannel, sew and snip

Quiltslots - BQ2-Border, Quilting and Binding

QW - Peanuts quilt, finish quilting, bind Smile

DJBrown - HGTV COF 2012 Row Robin Wallhanging - quilt & binding Smile

Sue Stitches - Nine patch table runner: back, quilt, bind

AngelaC - While the Cat's Away Mystery- (probably add a border), sandwich, quilt & bind Smile

Downsouth - Lacey's Quilt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Will Quilt for Chocolate,

Posts: 5012 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
Yeah!!!!! I was hoping it would be number two!!! I've been keeping my Handiquilter open these last few days in anticipation.

Let's get sewing and see lots of finished UFO's this month.

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/PattyannC/

Posts: 1759 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
which one was that???

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5111 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whew - that's a good one for me! Not too involved - I needed a break! My January and February finishes were quite involved. Maybe I won't be done on the last day this month!

Posts: 274 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh oh...the dreaded #2. I never should have put this one on my list.

I'll be very LUCKY if I get it done, so maybe it's a good one for this month after all.

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: Oct 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was hoping this was #2-- it is a little easier than the last 2, depending on what I decide to do for the border.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
I was sweating b_llets too, cause I have a tough one on my list. After the fiasco to number #5 I need an easy break also.

Hopefully I can get this one done and work some on the one that I should not have put on the list!!!!

Posts: 3629 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Love that one! Do you have one of those mats for every month?

Posts: 2883 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
Glad I took a stacation this month! I need a lot of time to get this one done. To be honest when I pulled it out I haven't sandwiched it yet so I also need to do that in addition to quilting and binding. Can't wait to get started.

Posts: 529 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just posted our February winner! Congrats again Jen!

I'm kinda glad that #2 came up. It's my BOM from last year and I really needed a push to work on it. I'm going to change it up from how I thought I would finish it! I hope to donate it when it's finished.

headie - I don't think I have a mat for every month, but I will come up with something! Cookie made that one for me!

Gonesewin - I'm pretty sure that your UFO is in the list that I posted. You might be in the same boat that I was when I didn't remember which quilt was on my list!

Sounds like some people have a lot of work ahead of them and others get a little break this month! I hope that where ever you find yourself, you end the month with a finished UFO!!!

Happy Sewing! Smile

Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Cookie, I'm with you. Of all the months for this one to show up. Yes, I have Spring Break. However, I will be in Paris and Istanbul so no way this is going to get any attention during that time.

Let me go find it and see what applique it needs. How could I have done this to myself?

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6648 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uh oh...the dreaded #2. I never should have put this one on my list.

Uh oh...I'm with you Cookie. Gulp...I'd better start today!

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8793 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Good pick for me! This is a 6.5" scrappy!

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9550 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm very glad to have company. I do hope you finish Nancy, I'm looking forward to seeing that vintage red work quilt, and how exciting needle crazy, to be going abroad for spring break! Take something to work on during the flight, then put it away till you're on your way home.

I also have 3 gift quilts to finish this month. Two for DGS's (1 top almost complete and 1 not started, but small) and my DSIL's. The top just needs a border added, then ready to quilt.

Yikes, I need a schedule.

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: Oct 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
What a nice one for me this month. I even know where it is---right on top of the pile of stuff that gets moved to the bed everytime I'm ready to quilt with George. I did work the last couple days on my personal #7, the wedding quilt for a nephew. I ended up ordering more fabric for it last night.

I have a three grandkids here at the moment. They saw the butterfly quilt and all three think they should have it, even the 9 year old grandson.

Madelyn

Posts: 6165 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Quilt for Chocolate:
Gonesewin - I'm pretty sure that your UFO is in the list that I posted. You might be in the same boat that I was when I didn't remember which quilt was on my list!
Happy Sewing! Smile

Yah, that's it. I think I found the one I named as #2. I also think I can get it finished this month. I could've had February's finished if Feb had more than 28 days in it....

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5111 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
OH NO!!!! March just got shortened by 9 days.

It is spring break month and I will have 5 of my 9 grandchildren in and out of my house all week since school is out. That means my house will look like Wreck it Ralph lives here and my sewing room will be overrun by spiders gone wild.

Posts: 3629 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
I actually have this one out and ready to work on!!! I'll just tidy up my workspace a bit from my recent projects and get busy "FUFO-ing" my Stepping stones quilt!!!

pat

Posts: 5137 | Location: central ohio | Registered: Apr 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GardenPat - I'm glad you know where your project is! LOL! As we do this, I find myself wondering who won't be able to find theirs this month! Just makes me laugh a little bit...I'm not alone!

WarmBuns - I do understand what Spring Break can do to a person! I'm at that point in my life where this is our last spring break...and mine doesn't want to do anything with us! Enjoy your time with the kids and just do what you can on the UFO!!!

Lori - glad you figured out what your #2 is and that you can get it done! Even though Feb is a short month, I feel like it dragged on!

QW - glad the butterfly is popular at your house! Isn't it nice when what you want is on the TOP of the pile?!!

Cookie - you are going to be busy this month! Follow that schedule!!!

Needlecrazy - your trip sounds so exciting! I'd do the 'walk of shame' this month and just enjoy that trip!!!

Nancy - do you want to work on a schedule with Cookie?!! Hope everyone in your household is healing up and feeling better soon!

Rainbow - glad your project is a good one this month! If you got your bad weather, maybe you'll have some extra time to work on it!

I have been wondering about that...will our completion numbers drop down once spring comes?!! Did the bad, cold, nasty, ornery winter help us stay in and finish things?!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Will Quilt for Chocolate,

posted Hide Post
Have to unbury the hope chest to get to mine. Maybe later today, but haven't left the couch today. My head hurts so not really productive today.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Low key day today, so I finished the binding on January's UFO. Off to go cut scrap to treasure, and find March's UFO, if this headache will stop.

All batiks were from stash (my original batik stash, probably circa 2007- my college graduation virtually everyone gave fabric along with money!)

posted Hide Post
Backing came from a free lottery at my LQS.

posted Hide Post
Jen - I love that quilt! I've made it 3 times already I like it so much!!! I've never made it in batiks before though! Now you've given me an idea...

Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
Jill, I don't see my name on the list, but #2 for me would be Lacey's quilt.

Devonne

Posts: 14986 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gosh Devonne! I'm sorry! I'm on my iPad right now, but I'll figure it out in the morning when I can look at my laptop!

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Oh, Jen, l like that quilt!

Yes, Jill, we got our bad weather!!! Our ground is covered in sleet. Yes, covered in sleet and now it's snowing! No school tomorrow and the high is only suppose to be in the 20's so it won't be melting. l'm guessing no school on Tuesday either! Yikes! And for the first time ever l will be going to school on Sat! Yes, this Sat is a make up day and l'm already scheduled to Sub that day. l'm ready for Spring! l'm even ready for summer and l don't like hot weather!

But, l get to sew tomorrow! Smile

======================

Posts: 9550 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Home from our weekend in Western NY... yes, there was snow! Lots of it in the Buffalo area.

I like the #2 draw! I'm going to try getting them done early in the month. (I hope!)

Jen, I love your January finish! Love those colors!

Rainbow, Saturday makeup? I wonder if they will start doing that here. The kids have had 12 snow days so far.

Sounds like some of you have already started working on #2. I won't get to it today... too much catch up after being gone for a long weekend but tomorrow I begin!

Posts: 2311 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Well, I got out my 6 1/2" blocks and found out they shrunk to 4 1/2" while I wasn't looking!!! I thought I had a few extra blocks, but now I find I'm a few blocks short. Happy sewing!

Malou, I think today is our 12th snow day, too. Our most ever. We have 5days built into the school year so that's 7to make up. We've made up a couple that were suppose to be teacher inservice. Taking 2days of Spring Break. Now, this will be another Sat make up, I believe. Yucky weather!!!

======================

posted Hide Post
Back from having my Mammogram. I got a magazine yesterday that show's a quilt that looks like a tortilla! It was deja vu!

Downsouth - I've got all my files updated now! So sorry about that! Now you can't get off the hook! Wink

Picture of quiltslots
posted Hide Post
You all must think I fell of the edge of the earth.. I haven't been on for quite a while. I DIDN't work on my FEB DUO, except to take it out and look at it. I just couldn't't decide what kind of border to put on it.
My March info needs a trip to my favorite fabric store to see if I can find more of the border fabric as I don't have enough. I will get there and I will work to get this one done. It is a gift for dear friends and I want to get it done.
Good job all you finishers, you are an inspiration.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quiltslots
posted Hide Post
I hate incorrect, we all know it is UFO, why don't they?

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
quiltslots, l agree! Autocorrect just doesn't do a very good job!!!

l have #2 top finished and sandwiched! Now, to get it pinned and quilted. Maybe tomorrow since we're out of school for another Snow Day!!! Smile

======================

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
My main machine broke down again (needle broke and I can't find all the pieces) so I'm back to sewing on the little backup. Its OK for piecing maybe up to a crib size quilt, but #2 is going to be a bed quilt. Wonder if it will be OK on a little machine?

Posts: 5782 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I didn't really get to sew today. I did put my blocks on the design wall. I hope to stay home tomorrow so maybe I'll get a start!

mcp - gosh, that's bad luck with your machine! Maybe you go slow and sure, the little machine will be up for the task?!! Good luck with it!

Rainbow - you are moving right along! With your weather, you might even get that done tomorrow!!

Quiltslots!!! so glad you're here!!! I'm right there with you on the autocorrect! Sometimes it saves me, sometimes it's my downfall! A trip to your favorite quilt store doesn't sound too bad! Happy sewing on this one!

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Well. I know where it is. All parts are in different rooms! ha! I know what I want for backing...just hope there is enough...going to look tonight....maybe it's even washed?????

Still haven't finished Feb's...I have a tricky idea for the binding and I'm intimidated...good thing it's not big!!!

Done with my mammo,eye dr,regular dr.,hubds may not have had diverticulitis...since his dad and brother threw up too, mine wasn't the flu...food allergy, cats seem to be done barfing too. SO!!!! I think we're all cleaned out and ready to go !!! And it's raining!!! We need it so much. I'm so glad it's March!!!! AND I just tried on a smaller size of jeans that fit now...zippered and buttoned and don't have to be hemmed!!!! Is there anything better? Smile

Posts: 8793 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
My blocks are on the design wall too. All 19 of them. Hmmmm. I guess I'll make one more block. This is going to be a very bright quilt!

Posts: 3610 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
My SIL has gone back to work and he has been a stay at home Dad for almost a year. I have started keeping my 18 month old grandson so I have lost 4 days a week of my sewing time.

I have found some cross stitching projects that are UFO's also so I work on those in the house while he is napping. That is one bad thing about my sewing studio being in a separate building behind the house. I can not leave him in the house alone.

I have not even located my March UFO yet but tomorrow is a sew day and I will get it going. I have to take a couple of hours off in the afternoon for my yearly Mammogram.

I hope all you ladies keep up to date with your yearly test!!!!!

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post

I'm trying real hard to not let this cold catch me!!!
So, all I've done in the last two days is pin the quilt. But, at least, I'm getting closer! Smile

======================

posted Hide Post
I have gotten a couple seams sewn on mine. Not much, really!

Rainbow - I also hope you can keep that cold at bay! We have a long time left in this month...you'll get there!

Warm Buns - wow! That is a big schedule change for you! That is a nice opportunity to spend time with your grandson. Hope the mammo went well, got my results...I'm 'good to go' for another year!

Seeing Stars - 19 blocks! Yeah, 20 might make for an easier layout!!

Nancy - Your project sounds interesting...in several rooms! I hope you do try that tricky idea for your Feb binding. Those can be the most fun sometimes! And, now you have really peaked my interest in that! Sorry you were sick, but fitting into smaller jeans is a good feeling!

I don't think I'll get much done on mine today. I have a dentist appointment and I also a much needed trip to the grocery store. Tonight, a modern quilt guild meeting!

Is anyone else starting their project yet? Has everyone FOUND this month's project! LOL!

posted Hide Post
I haven't started back on my UFO yet, but should today I hope. This month will be shorter than Feb. for me when I'm gone for a week to meetings and a couple daughters' homes.

Nancy, what is your tricky idea for binding on your Feb. UFO? It would be interesting to hear what you are thinking and if someone else has done it to show you the easiest way.

Madelyn

Posts: 6165 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I haven't started yet but should have time after this weekend. This one shouldn't take very long to complete which makes it kinda sad that it has been a ufo for so long.

Posts: 2883 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
Mine is on the Handiquilter, I think I'm about half done with it.

I've been thinking about where the binding is.

Now days I make the binding, label it and put it in a container as soon as the quilt top is finished. This one is so old I'm not sure I did that. I'll have to start digging pretty soon. HHMMMMM the border is a batik so I think I could find something to go with it if I can't locate the correct one.

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/PattyannC/

Posts: 1759 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Got mine dug out today...as well as the remains of the various fabrics I used in it. I dod have to go to Joanns to get some more of the background fabric. Now to decide what kinds of borders to add.

The top is currently 50"x50"...I'm not really a huge fan of square quilts...any suggestions/ideas? I have about 3/4yd of the print in the center of the stars. I feel like I need to bring in more of that. This was a mystery quilt & I might have chosen differently if I knew how little of that would appear in the quilt!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AngelaC,

Posts: 4675 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a nice quilt, Angela. I would just add a finishing border.

I have all the quilting done on mine, now to cut and add the binding!

Madelyn

posted Hide Post
Angela...could you carry the browns up into a point? Maybe it continues up. That would give you some more length without adding any width.

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Oh I like WQFC's idea...that would finish off the points on both ends of top and bottom and make it rectangular. You could then do a thin inner boarder of the 4 center squares fabric to bring that farther out into the quilt. Cute!

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Oh, I like every picture that's posted. Stepping stones quilt is on a to do list - for sure have enough scraps, just don't like the idea of a tiny four patch!

My top is completed but won't fit on my frame. I will have to have the checkbook quilt this one! Its for my son and so far he says he loves it. Now to contact a long armer and get this puppy done!

Posts: 5782 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I still can't find my sewing mojo. Frown

I decided to start a new project hoping maybe that will rev me up again. I am using this month's ufo as a leader/ender.

At least I'm getting a little something done on this!

Mcp - Wow, ready for the quilters! Awesome! I googled stepping stones quilt. I got pictures of every quilt imaginable! Can't wait to see yours!

Angela - I hope you can figure out what I was talking about last night with my idea for your quilt. It was pretty late when I typed it! Looking at it, you may have to improvise something for the blocks in between. Maybe that's too much work?

QW - I can't believe you are already to your binding. You are serious about having a short month!

Sew Happy - I'd be sew happy too if I was as far as you are! Hope you found your binding!

Headie - I know what you mean about your feelings about your project. I wonder that about mine too. I keep telling myself that I'll finish more stuff. So, what do I do? I start a whole new project instead! My goal for this one is to see if I can work on this until it is done! I hope it never becomes a UFO!

I don't feel like such a good motivator this month! I think the progress you guys are already showing is helping me along so far!

posted Hide Post
Jill, not that serious. I really didn't have much quilting left to do on this one, just needed to block the time for it. Although, March will be a shortened home with time at home. The other week I would have much time usually is the one I am gone.

Of course, having to take care of taxes sure makes me want to quilt more than sort papers!

Madelyn

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post

Let's go, Jill, let's go!
Let's go, Jill, let's go!!
Goooooo Jill!!!
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

======================