Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  blocks made but need advice before I start sewing them together
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

blocks made but need advice before I start sewing them together Sign In/Join 
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted
Fabric has been stashed away for 3 years & this week I finally cut into it. This was supposed to be for my 14 year old GS who is now 17. I decided on a pattern, sort of, & started making blocks. This is the block I have made & it measures 12.5

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Miss Lensews2,

Posts: 5323 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
I was going to make 20, have 4 across & 5 down & a border all around. I have a dozen blocks made & started to play with them. I laid them out on top of a single bed & now I am thinking maybe this might be enough blocks & use a wider border all around. None of these blocks are sewn they are just laid out alongside each other.

Posts: 5323 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
Lens, they look good like they are laid out. Maybe do a multiple border in the measurements of some of the block sizes as well as a narrower one or two. Since this is for a young man, I would figure to make it wide enough that when he lays on his side, the quilt will still cover with those wide shoulders he will develop.

Nice work. I wouldn't use sashing, I think it will break up the nice look you have here.

Madelyn

Posts: 6190 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
When I laid them out I realized there was going to be a fair amount of matching involved once I started to sew these blocks together. I would have to match seams. Sad to say but I'm not very good about matching seams, plus when I looked at the quilt the red & black just didn't have much wow appeal. I started thinking maybe I could use some sashing. I had some yellow/gold batik so I roughly laid some strips out to see what it might look like.

Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
Then I got all befuddled & didn't know what I should do next. I need some advice & opinions please. I don't want this put aside again, I need to get it done so I can move onto my next project.

Picture of Shauna's crafty quilter
posted Hide Post
I like the gold. The first picture looked like a checker board to me. I think it needs to be broken up a little! I think you'll be a lot happier with the sashing. You did a great job friend!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars!!"

Posts: 3437 | Location: hopefully at my sewing machine | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
I like the gold in there too. Really helps o give it some pop! Perfect with the gold in the dragons! With the addition of the yellow and some borders, you will have a good sized lap quilt for him!

Way to go! Show us your progress!!!

Posts: 5029 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewnso
posted Hide Post
I agree. This last pic looks great pops the dragons!

If life hands you scraps make quilts

Posts: 3065 | Location: Southern BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
Yes, I was thinking checkerboard too. Wish I had purchased a black print & a red print instead of solids. What was I thinking? Never again. I think solid colors are best used by more experienced sewers. A print hides a multitude of sins.

Now that I am looking at that sashing picture I am thinking about little black corner stones to help with the flow of the black line of squares.

The more I think the more confused I become. Thanks for your comments. What do you think?

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
The gold is a good idea, but I think that one is too bright. Need one more like the color of the dragons. Do the sashing and a border the same width as the sashing, then add a wider sashing of either the red or the black. Audition both with the gold sashing/border to see which looks best.
He's gonna love that quilt. You done good!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6732 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
I like it best with the sashing but as Florida Farm Girl said, a paler gold, more in tone with the dragons would be better. I also like FFG idea of a gold sashing border with red or black ... the quilt looks soooo manlySmile I am looking forward to seeing how you complete itSmile

Posts: 412 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
I definitely like it best with the sashings but your idea of adding black cornerstones would make it even better.

Posts: 6613 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of the cornerstones as well and FFG's suggestion of a gold that is closer to the color in the dragons.

Once you start sewing all of this together it is going to get smaller than you realize with all of those seams.. Since it is for a young man already 17 years of age, I might add those extra blocks as well.. and then add the borders.

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25862 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
I actually prefer your original layout, but I tend to favor more simple designs without borders. For me, quilts sometimes look too busy or overdone so less is more. Really like the uniqueness of your quilt!

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1940 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
I agree. A darker gold sashing with black corner stones.... or just go for the checkerboard look with no sashing. There really aren't that many seams to match, and if a few didn't hit the mark exactly, remember that when it's quilted and in use no one is every going to see those little mis-matches. I love those dragons! Your GS is going to love it no matter which way you finish it.

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2261 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
Don't beat yourself up over the fabric purchases! I had a fabric in my stash that I thought would be perfect for a quilt that I had in mind to do. Gathered up fabric from my stash and bought others and got started. That first fabric is the one that didn't 'work' in the quilt! I had to take it out and get something different. I thought the entire thing would be perfect!

I know you are a bit of a distance from the fabric store...but your quilt will work out great!

Posts: 5029 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
Thanks for comments & suggestions. I really appreciate the encouragement. We have company today so I won't get to do much with this till after the weekend. I did make 2 more blocks this morning to replace 2 already shown. One block had a different shade of red in it & the other had the dragons tail too far into the seam allowance. I got those 2 blocks done in just minutes. I might get a chance tomorrow to visit a fabric store but I really was hoping to get this one done with what I already had on hand. I will check through what I have here first chance I get.

Picture of BetsyLu65
posted Hide Post
Yes, the sashing looks great!
That would be a fun one to quilt, fire flames...

BetsyLu65 Wink

Posts: 97 | Location: Fort Wayne, In | Registered: Aug 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would be a fun one to quilt, fire flames...

BetsyLu65

Wow, what a great idea. Never thought about that but I think that would be something fun to do & no worries about messing it up. Hmmmm. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Miss Lensews2,

posted Hide Post
Miss Lens..I just did that block in a different layout on point,no sashing. It's Celtic Cross,from Barbara Douglas's book Singular Sensations,which uses that same block. If I was home I would take a picture..I tried to find a picture online but no luck.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 10150 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
Well it sounds like you've got a plan now and you're ready to sew. We'll look forward to seeing it finished. GS will be thrilled with it, I'm sure. Smile

Posts: 3641 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ekbuckeye
posted Hide Post
I like that block. I'd make the additional blocks and use a narrower gold sashing. The suggestion of quilting with flames is perfect, and can't wait to see a pic of the completed quilt.

Ellen

"Wishing you sunshine and blessings"

Posts: 2293 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: May 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
Love it Len!!! And I do hope you make it as big as you can so he can use it forever.I like it with the yellow,gold to match dragon and use it in a border would be great too and yes like the corner stone idea.He's going to love it!!!

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8972 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Love it Lens! l loved the first pic just fine until l saw the second one and realized l loved it better!

When you told me you were inspired by a block l use a lot l couldn't think what it was until l saw this pic then l knew! l do love this block. lt's simple, yet really frames your focus fabric well. Good luck getting it finished!

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9581 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
That's gonna be one cool quilt! Very masculine! He will love it!!

PamSmile

Posts: 5869 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post