Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ►►HGTV CYOC Swap◄◄MAILED!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

►►HGTV CYOC Swap◄◄MAILED! Sign In/Join 
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted
CYOC= Choose Your Own Color

For this swap we are going to stick with fabric colors and not 'fabric choices'. That means you can tell me what size (finished size please) you would like your center strip to be, and what color/colors are on either side of the center~ but not the placement of those colors.

For example~ you can choose a center strip that finishes at one inch and is a red solid or tone on tone fabric; and the strips a mix of black on white and white on black prints. Or you could choose a center strip in 'x' color (you can specify solid or tone on tone) and ask for strings in 'spring' colors etc. Does this make sense? We will only consider batiks and CW prints as colors and cannot specifically ask for those fabrics.

For anyone new to string blocks, here is a primer by Bonnie Hunter~ String block Primer Just remember we are using washed muslin for our foundations, we will have a center strip (not the muslin showing through), so you don't need the pencil lines, and our strips will be straight, not wonky. Wink

Here are our guidelines~

To sign up please PM your phone number and email to me. In either the PM, or here on this thread tell me your finished center strip preference (size and color) and your string color choice(s). I will keep a running list on this thread.

●I'll take sign-ups for 1 week.

●Next weekend I will PM everyone with the master list and my address~ all blocks will be sent to me. When we know how many have signed up, we'll have a better idea of what to send in postage to get your blocks back to you.

●Due date will be November 15th, 2013.

●We will each make 6 blocks for each swapper. (if there are over 8 swappers, we will change this to 4) 4 blocks for each swapper

●Please, please, please don't wait until the last minute to sew your blocks and then ask me to extend the deadline. I won't. Sorry, but this has to be fair to everyone. I will sort your blocks and get them back to you as fast as I can. Wink

●Please use 100% cotton fabric for your foundation. Since inexpensive muslin is what most swappers use, please be sure it is washed so our blocks don’t shrink out of shape when we wash our finished quilts.

●The strips do not need to be washed as we each have our own views on washing/not washing our stash, and it would be a mess to wash a pile of strings. If you have a fabric that you know bleeds terribly, don’t use it in anyone’s blocks. Once your quilt is made I would advise washing it with a few ‘Color Catchers’. Wink

●Please be sure to center the middle strip. And keep all strips straight.

● Also please vary the width of your strings~ and try not to use too many strings that are wider than the center strip, although a wider one on the corner is good so you don't end up with a nub when you trim. Wink. The more strips/strings; the more interesting the blocks are. Wink

Please be aware of your thread choices. If someone has chosen a red or black center strip, please don’t sew with white thread. It will show. Also if their center is white~ don’t sew with black thread. Please no clear monofilament thread!

●Please check your thread tension and your quarter inch seams. Nothing is more disheartening than to get a block where the maker didn’t use quarter inch seams and the strips pull out.

●Please start with a 9.5 inch square of your foundation muslin and trim it down to 8.5 inches after you have added your strips.

●I will do 'spot' checks as your blocks come in to make sure the seams are sturdy, the fabrics are nice, and they measure the right size. If everyone does their very best, we should not have any problems. Smile

Ok, did I miss anything? Smile Who would like to play this time around?

2013 String Block Swappers~~

1. alexemmarose~ Black center strings-1 inch finished width with colored strings of all shades of turquoise, lime/yellow greens and whites. That is all values light-to-dark, any stripes, geometrics or prints that read turquoise or lime green or any combination of both colors. Solids and batiks welcome as well.

2. coreysmom~ 1 1/2 sand colored center, solid or tone-on-tone
Blues teals aquas purples greens ocean colors. I realize they may not be batik but they should still look fine intermingled with the batik ones from the last swap.

3. Auntie Reba~ 1 1/2 inch solid red centers, with strings of red, black, white, and gray prints.

4. Knot Me~ 1 1/2 inch center strip in black- (to finish at 1 1/2) Solid or tone on tone
One side red strings (solids or ToT) gray strings and shades in that range- no blacks on this side)
the other side black strings ( black with little bits of white, black with little bits of gray, even blacks with bits of reds or creams would be OK too

5. royalboomer~ center string: solid white...cut 2" to finish at 1 1/2"
For the strings~ "girl" colors., soft pinks, pale yellows, pale greens, etc. you get the drift. solids and/or prints - that part is not important...just the soft colors - almost like shabby chic.

6. crazy'boutquilts~ 1 inch finished solid white center with shabby chic strings. Light, soft pastel-y shades in all colors~ no dark tones, browns or blacks.

7. KC1930~ What I would like is NO center string, but half the block made in LIGHTS and the other half of the blocks in DARKS. (See photos on boards for directions). No medium tones please and thank you—I’m looking a HIGH contrast between the two sides. I sew with grey thread so you won’t have to change thread color while sewing the blocks.

I prefer no solids if possible and would also like to ask if the block strings can be trimmed to the 9 1/2" foundation size and NOT cut down to the 8 1/2" size. I would like to be able to trim them down myself before use.

8. cksvett~ Finished 1 1/2" center of any bright color. (Each block can have a different color or they can all be the same color) At least another string of the same center fabric somewhere in the block. Strings: Black & white or white & black prints or a small solid string is okay too.

9. RN55~ 1 1/2" finished, Halloween ORANGE middle(does not have to be solid just has to read really orange) with all the 'colors of halloween' fabrics around it. Please have fun with all the Halloween fabrics and colors~ purples, lime green, orangy-orange etc. available right now have not seen any I do not like. (note by CBQ~ RN is going for the 'colors' of Halloween, not necessarily halloween prints, if you have them fine, if you don't the colors are fine too.)

10. bluesnail~ Center string - white, WOW to finish at 1 1/2 inches.
Strings - any shade of green and purples - from palest lilac to the deepest Royal purple - mix them up.
Please add one skinny white string (in addition to the center string) randomly placed in the green/purple strings. Skinny = 1/2" and less.
I have no objection to the occasional solid string.

11. KaribbeanQuilter~ No center strip please, and don't trim~ same as KC with~ On one side, the strings will read white: white solid, WOW, the occasional print where the white background is what you focus on. On the other side, the strings will be all the same cheerful color: solid, tonal, batik, prints that clearly read that cheerful color. For your color, please choose one that is in the rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, or purple. You don't have to make all your blocks, say white/red; in fact, we'd hope you could have a bit of variety, say maybe some white/red blocks, some white/orange blocks, some white/yellow blocks, etc., depending on what you have at home in your stash. Just stick to one color within each block.

12. mcpatches~ 1-1/2 finished black center strip and autumn colors (sage greens, gold, orangish, redish, brownish) strips of any fabrics. No large prints or florals that would stand out.

13. Mountain Laurel~ 1 1/2" solid white center with all shades of pretty pastels. Please no brights just soft pastels preferably not solids. Can be florals just not bright ones.

14. wiley~ no set center string, just use a 1-2 inch strip (finished size) of any of the string fabrics. Please try to vary the center string color/size from block to block. Please use blenders,tot's or marbles-in soft pastels like pinks,blues, yellows,lavenders,greens, creams etc. No white or brights. A skinny strip added to some blocks would be fun.

15. iquiltalot~ I'd like my blocks to be orange, gold, rust strings with any size center string in any orange, gold or rust.

16. SDgranny~ 1.5 inch finished white center, solid or tone-on-tone. Strings in bright colors, small prints, batiks, etc. No orange,brown or black.

17. Jane_Kiwi~ 1.5 inch blue center strip. Please make the centre blue the *darkest* blue that you will use for the block. It doesnt have to be very dark/navy or anything, as long as it reads the darkest for the block. I am ok with any fabrics - solids, florals, batik, etc The strings in blues and yellows only.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crazy'boutquilts,

Posts: 10684 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3577 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of knot me
posted Hide Post
OH, I wish I could play this time. I couldn't guarantee I'd get blocks finished on time even now. But, Have fun and I'll be watching for when my schedule lets up enough to play again.

"There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 2397 | Location: Somewhere in wicker wonderland | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome alex and coreysmom!! Smile

So sorry you can't join us knot me. Would it help if I pushed the due date back til the 15th of Nov?

Posts: 10684 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
I think I will play this time, but I need to ponder colors first and get back to you.

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

For donated quilts for the kids, check out the photos at
http://kc1930.blogspot.com/201...-pictures-below.html

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
count me in again...let me also think about color...the other choices are always so enticing!!

Posts: 841 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CBQ, will you please edit my color info to also include: Solids and batiks welcome as well. Thank you.

Posts: 3577 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I have a question. When starting out, let's say you want a center strip of 1" finished. Do you draw a diagonal line and center a 1 and 1/2" strip there (basted or something) and then flip and sew the rest?

Posts: 9627 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
OK I am in, are you surprised crazy? I am thinking on colors.

Posts: 442 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will do alex! Smile

Auntie Reba, instead of drawing the line, I use the lines on my cutting mat; lining up the diagonal of the block on the solid line on the cutting mat and pinning the center strip so it is centered with the top and bottom of that line. Then I press them so they kinda stick together before I add strips. Wink

Welcome KC, Ali and RN! Wave

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I'm in but not sure what colors to go with this time around ;( I'll ponder that for a couple of days Smile

Posts: 6691 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
OK...sent you the PM. It is helpful to see what others picked. I saw a whole different color scheme I liked but I'll save that for another time.

Posts: 9627 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
Thinking, thinking-----

I really want to but just don't know if I'll have the time. I'll have to think for a few days and get back to you.

Pam

Posts: 5905 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Crazy, what is the official deadline for signing up?

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of knot me
posted Hide Post
If it gets pushed back to the 15th I might have time to finish. OK, I am in. going on vaca in a few days so wouldn't be able to confirm anything after tomorrow anyway. I'll PM with choices aand such in a bit.

"There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 2397 | Location: Somewhere in wicker wonderland | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KC~ 24th. Wink

Welcome knot me! Smile

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Just thought I'd pass this along...I got an email from piecework fabrics - they are having a 20 FQ for $20 sales through July 28. I haven't looked at what is available yet but intend to once I know what all the choices are (yes, I know that I don't even know mine yet Smile )

www.pieceworkfabrics.com

Hopefully the link works.

Posts: 6691 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
OK - I have my choice:

My plan is to use these to make a couple of baby sized quilts for those "surprise" times when it would have been nice if I had one waiting in the wings Smile So...

center string: solid white...cut 2" to finish at 1 1/2"

This time around we'll go with "girl" colors., soft pinks, pale yellows, pale greens, etc. you get the drift. solids and/or prints - that part is not important...just the soft colors - almost like shabby chic...make sense?

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the note about the sale royal! Wink

I have been debating my choices and am almost ready to commit to shabby chic again.. almost! I have autumns on my mind too. LOL

Love your choices! Smile

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Well I checked out their sale - nothing I wanted Frown How often does that happen Smile Today the shop hop here kicked off - runs for 10 days. Maybe DH will be up for a ride tomorrow and I can pick up a few things....

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
DH said he'd drive so we are off on the shop hop in an hour or so...thought I would check in and see if there were any other decisions made. So far I have "some" of everything that has been chosen so I'll just round out the selections some. It's always good for me to have a focus when I go to one of these things or I buy WAY too much Smile I get a free FQ at each shop we stop at so I'll check that basket first....what doesn't get used for this swap can go to DGD for her collection.

posted Hide Post
Have fun!! Wave

posted Hide Post
Welcome KC1930! Wave

If anyone makes a sample block or has a photo of what they are looking for, feel free to post them on this thread! Smile

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Royalboomer, have fun! I guess I will do this again. Most difficult part is picking what I want. After 3 exchanges getting the same thing, I think I have enough of them... Chris

Posts: 6306 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I was torn between my choice and having a neutrals quilt. So for this time, here is an example of the colors I am looking for: Enjoy!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/11...k-and-shades-of-gray

posted Hide Post
Thanks Auntie~ a photo is worth a thousand words to me. Wink

Welcome cksvett!! Wave

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the pic Reba!! Chris - your choice sounds wonderful, will be so much fun Smile I have plenty in stock for yours Smile Went to two shops this afternoon and got some pretties for Alex and CBQ blocks. Tomorrow the plan is to hit 3 more shops - they are closer than today's - it is so much better having something in mind when I do this shop hop. The timing couldn't be better Smile

Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Since I am not having a center strip and would like the block split into two colorways, our hostess suggested photos to describe how to do it.

I took the 9 1/2" foundation and pressed it in half and for photo purposes, I marked it with blue ink pen.

P.S. My ironing board cover is clean, just well used, lol! ;0

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KC1930,

Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
I place the LIGHT strip on the line face up and place the dark strip on top of it face down.

Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Sew, press and here it is with the seam on the center. Don't worry if it isn't exactly on the line--I will trim up the block later to fine tune them!

Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
And here is what the blocks should look like-

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
KC - could you take a picture from the wrong side as well. I was thinking you wanted 1/2 on either side of the center which would put the seam on the line you drew but your pictures seems to tell me I'm off base here. Pictures truly are a wonderful thing!!

Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Here is what design I am thinking of using for the block setting.

Remember, this photo is for placement ONLY, not for COLORS Smile

Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by royalboomer:
KC - could you take a picture from the wrong side as well. I was thinking you wanted 1/2 on either side of the center which would put the seam on the line you drew but your pictures seems to tell me I'm off base here. Pictures truly are a wonderful thing!!

Here you go!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KC1930,

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Thanks KC - that is what I thought you were wanting - I have no depth perception and pictures sometimes are skewed - must have been what I was "seeing" with the front pics. As long as I know the seam (stitching) is the center line I'm good. Smile You are very good to humor me.

Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Smile

Picture of KaribbeanQuilter
posted Hide Post
Ok, they say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery (and I guess Harry and Sally say, "I'll have what she's having"). So....
Please read and follow KC1930's directions (no center strip, don't trim, half and half blocks) but instead of light/dark, we are going for...
On one side, the strings will read white: white solid, WOW, the occasional print where the white background is what you focus on. On the other side, the strings will be all the same cheerful color: solid, tonal, batik, prints that clearly read that cheerful color. For your color, please choose one that is in the rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, or purple. You don't have to make all your blocks, say white/red; in fact, we'd hope you could have a bit of variety, say maybe some white/red blocks, some white/orange blocks, some white/yellow blocks, etc., depending on what you have at home in your stash. Just stick to one color within each block. Will make up a sample soon and post the pic.
Thank you! This is going to be such fun!

Posts: 602 | Registered: Jul 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
I Pm'd you.

Posts: 442 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
KQ - your blocks sound like so much fun Smile I'm excited for this swap - picked up the last few items I think I may need plus a few extras Smile today. Now to start sorting and getting some more muslin washed and ready to iron and cut into squares.

Alex - thanks for the visual.... Smile

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
certainly some interesting sounding blocks this time!

Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
OK. I'm in on this swap!

Center string - white, WOW to finish at 1 1/2 inches.

Strings - any shade of green and purples - from palest lilac to the deepest Royal purple - mix them up.

Please add one skinny white string (in addition to the center string) randomly placed in the green/purple strings. Skinny = 1/2" and less.

I have no objection to the occasional solid string.

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2276 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Bluesnail, just to clarify for my old brain--is the "skinny" white strip finishing at 1/2" or less?

KQ, I've always wanted to do a "half & half" string quilt, so no time like the present! Glad to have another gal coming along for the ride, lol!

posted Hide Post
Wow! I took the afternoon off and come back to see new swappers! Welcome everyone!! Wave

I will bump it back to 4 blocks/swapper now. Wink

I do have a PM in to RN55 about Halloween, if the 'colors of Halloween' are ok for those who don't have any Halloween prints, I'll come back and clarify when she answers me. Wink

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Thanks sent you a PM in case the colors of,,,,, are not okay.

Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
Yes, please. I'd like that "skinny" string to be just a hint of white mixed in with the colors. Oops. Just figured that that string might be a tad too small. I have my muslin all washed and dried... I'll try to make a sample block to see if 1/2" is too small or not. Will get back to you ASAP.

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2276 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am thinking I like the idea of not having my blocks trimmed down to be squared up at 8 1/2 but left for me to do, not that everyone hasn't done a fine job up until now but why not just do our own and not everyone else's?

I will admit to having trouble squaring up a particular block last time, TWICE, and having to remake it twice. Would be better if I mess up on my own blocks!

Just my own humble opinion on this...will happily do what our leader wants us to do.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: alexemmarose,

posted Hide Post
I originally said I'd play again and was thinking about what colors to use. I'm bowing out, looks like you have a great turn out and after reading some of the descriptions, I'd have to fabric shop and I just shouldn't do this right now. I'll cheer everyone on from the sidelines..and continue tackling my UFOS!!

Posts: 841 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to see you leave us Ali, but I certainly understand UFO's and fabric shopping. Wink

If everyone wants their blocks untrimmed~ that is fine with me, just let me know ok?