Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Get Your Ms Claus on ~~~~pic on Debbie's blog
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Get Your Ms Claus on ~~~~pic on Debbie's blog Sign In/Join 
Picture of nlk
posted
Howdy to all you Ms Claus's out there who are working on the 2013 doll quilts. This is just a friendly reminder that the year is already zooming by fast & September will be upon us before we know it. Thanks for everyone's participation in this & just because we have all the states accounted for doesn't mean that Debbie won't take more. THANK YOU....THANK YOU TO ALL WHO ARE HELPING!!!

------------------------------------------------
This is the originl information on the project:

I know it's early for 2013 but I had quite a lot of interest in the "Get Your Mrs Claus On" project already. Here's the link that lets you know how this project started & what it's all about (it's all about the children!)

http://stitchintherapy.blogspo...laus-on-project.html

A wonderful group of woodworkers in South Carolina have been making wooden toys, doll beds, strollers, etc. for needy children at Christmas time & they approached Debbie & said the doll beds needed little "blankets"...thus began the "Get Your Mrs Claus On Project". In 2012 our board was represented by gifting the children with over 126 doll quilts (representing each state in the USA). For 2013 I'm not limiting a state to only one person so if you want a state that has already been spoken for I will add you to that state. Also I'm bringing in any countries all over the world that you might want to represent. The little quilts will be mailed directly to Debbie in 2013 & I can supply you with her address. All I ask is that you let her know that you are from the HGTV Quilting Board so she will know where they are coming from and that you get them to her NO LATER than September 1, 2013. This will allow her to make plans to get any additional quilts made that she will need before the Christmas deadline. At this time I do not know how many the woodworkers will need for 2013.

She needs 2 sizes --- 12" x 18" for the cradles & 14" x 18" for the doll beds. You can pick which ever size you want to make...you can make more than one quilt if you are so inclined. The little quilts can be a whole piece of fabric, a pieced quilt, machine made, hand made, free motion quilted, stitch in ditch quilted, tied....any way you want to make them.

****ADDED INFO HERE***** Debbie sent me an e-mail about how truly excited she was that our board is making these quilts again for 2013. She has added a request or two for us:
~~~quote~~~
When they send the doll quilts, have them include a note with name, screen name and email---so I can let them know of arrival and send thank yous. Signing on the back of the quilts with the state or country too was a surprise that worked out great. The lady at Pendleton House was awestruck when she saw states like California, and Michigan on the back of them."~~~

The quilt does not have to have an official label but just a little note on the back like "Made from ______ with love". This can be done with pigma pens that don't wash out. Thanks!

SINCE I WON'T BE COLLECTING THE QUILTS FIRST, PLEASE TAKE A PICTURE OF YOUR LITTLE QUILT & POST IT SO WE CAN SEE & ENJOY IT. EVERYONE LOVES SEEING WHAT WE ARE DOING.

Alabama......Blue Skies7
Alaska......nancyc20 & Paus4Quilts & KaylaQuilts
Arizona.....wiley & KaylaQuilts
Arkansas.....NICUnurse
California.....Coco Cathy & Sue Stitches
Colorado.......nancyc20
Connecticut.....KC1930
Delaware...PatriciaAnn
District of Columbia...nlk
Florida.....cksvett
Georgia...... Downsouth
Hawaii ... jacky
Idaho........Kay-lin
Illinois.....Quilter Chris
Indiana......mcpatches
Iowa.........Pwife
Kansas......wildcatmom
Kentucky....Fayejean & Downsouth
Louisiana...nlk
Maine.........KC1930 & quiltbea
Maryland......AngelaC & PatriciaAnne
Massachusetts.....Ely & Catwmn27
Michigan..........TcMay & sewlove2quilt
Minnesota.......chanlady22
Mississippi.....warmbuns
Missouri.....SavedSinnr & Precious & KaylaQuilts
Montana.......STinMT
Nebraska...nlk
Nevada......wiley
New Hampshire.....quiltbea & Heartmania
New Jersey......gonesewin
New Mexico......Happy Erme
New York.........longjohn
New Zealand......Jane_Kiwi
North Carolina.....Heartmania
North Dakota.....Seeing Stars
Ohio.............aliquilts & shequilts -
Oklahoma......Marion
Oregon.........Quilter Chris
Pennsylvania.....applebetty
Puerto Rico......City/Sandie
Rhode Island.....Catwmn27
South Carolina.....dd quilts
South Dakota....longjohn
Tennessee......shequilts -
Texas....Will Quilt for Chocolte & Lisa-Tx(& daughters) & nlk
Utah...Paus4Quilts
US Virgin Islands.....Karibbean Quilter - Vermont.....Catwmn27
Virginia.....Malou
Washington...wannaquilt2
West Virginia.....sprmom
Wisconsin......Jayardi & Sister Sue & Patty J...
Wyoming.....Chlynn1129

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nlk,

Nicki

Posts: 7943 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
It is on my list...

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4915 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
Have 2 of my 3 completed waiting to send when all are complete but thanks for the reminder

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 705 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5709 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlueSkies7
posted Hide Post
Haven't forgotten, next on my list. Sent you a PM for addy. Thank you!

Posts: 258 | Location: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jul 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Sara, I replied to your p.m. with the address. Thanks so much for your help with this project.

Nicki

Posts: 7943 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
Finishing up the first one this morning. Thx

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1925 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sprmom
posted Hide Post
going to get started on mine today!

Posts: 5529 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: Sep 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Mine has been done and is already sent Smile

Posts: 1994 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine went in the mail today.

Posts: 530 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: Apr 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
I,m done except binding tacked down and label,will mail this week.Do you really want me to put Hawaii when I'm from Iowa Smile

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8884 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jacky, mine said "made with love in Virginia" and as you know I'm not from there. A few had signed up for Ohio so I took one that didn't have anyone.
Hope this helps!

Posts: 2244 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Jacky, some people last year just put the name of the state on the back. You don't have to say that it came from there.

Nicki

Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
I guess that's a part of this I don't understand. Putting the name of a state with our quilts. I've had it explained to me but it still doesn't make any sense to me.

It's not like all the quilts are going to be lined up and the receiving children can see where all the quilts came from. One child is going to receive the quilt. Whether the child gets it from Idaho or Wisconsin, the child can learn about that state. My saying it's from Utah, doesn't mean anything one way or the other.

For me, I'd really rather say, "made with love for you in Idaho". I'll go along but it really doesn't make much sense to me.

Just my feelings.

Posts: 5920 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chanlady22
posted Hide Post
My fabric is on "the pile" but my machine is at the shop! Soon...

Happy Stitching...Lois

Posts: 2185 | Location: Chanhassen, MN | Registered: Aug 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Have finished 1 more using the incorrectly cut fabric panels I posted earlier. Also started another. Have 6 panels, used most of 3, so will have several more quilts that I will get out of them. Neat figuring out different configurations and the quilting somehing I can handle... Chris

Posts: 5874 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Made for Idaho in Michigan with love,might work. Smile

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9926 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of amiko
posted Hide Post
Cannot log on to the site - tells me it is no longer available????? Where would I send the little quits - is that address on the site?

thanks,
amiko

Posts: 368 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
That's a thought. The child could learn about two states then but wouldn't it be confusing trying to explain that?

Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
I have made my top. Now I have to quilt and bind it. Hope to be done by the end of the week.

Erma

Smile Craft Happens! Smile

Posts: 3122 | Location: TX | Registered: Mar 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
amiko, I'm sorry about the link that did not work. I think I have it fixed now. I'll send you a p.m. with Debbie's name & address where to send a quilt. Thanks for the interest in this project.

Nicki

posted Hide Post
Nicki...correct me if I'm wrong, I think initially(the 1st round) the goal was to have a quilt from every State and a few other country and provinces. I think that followed through on this go 'round. So I think it best to look for direction from our Leader...Oh Nicki ...can you advice a few wondering minds on the Label.

"Made with Love from Michigan" is on mine,but I'm in Michigan(HGTV Quilting Board is in a note I send with the quilts,not attached.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9926 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Initially I chose the states because I thought it was an easy way of getting at least 50 little doll quilts to Debbie in 2012. I'm not sure how the label actually came about or if it was my idea or Debbie's. Now the labels seem to be sort of an issue so I would say if you feel uncomfortable about putting a label on a quilt from a state that you are not actually from you could just write the state name on the back that you are representing. This is up to you. I certainly don't want anyone to stress over whether the quilts have labels or not. After all, these are for the children & they will love the quilts whether they are labeled or not. Keep calm ladies & have fun with this. Wink

Nicki

posted Hide Post
Thanks Nicki...you are so cool to do this. I found 2 more fabrics tonight in stash that will make cute little quilts so think I'll make a couple more. I have not mailed my other two yet either.I love little quilts.

May
"In Michigan"

Picture of KaribbeanQuilter
posted Hide Post
This is such a great project! Debbie acknowledged the two that I sent her for 2013, back in early November 2012.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jul 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Nicki. I'm not stressed; I just didn't understand the reasoning behind the state thing.

I think it is good to put a label on the quilts. I'm thinking of a thread I put up about what happens to donated quilts, and I'm picturing, romantic that I am, some young lady or even an older one, years down the road fondling her doll quilt and thinking that someone from Kentucky, who didn't know her, made that quilt for her. A good thought.

And....last night I got my rabbit ready to put on my quilt. It's gonna be cute, I think.

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Paus, I bet we all think your little quilt with a rabbit will be just precious.

Y'all don't forget to post pics of your little quilts before you send them off for us all to see.

Nicki

Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Thank you, nlk. I am really very timid about doing stuff like this.

Picture of ELY/SYSSY
posted Hide Post
HI LADIES
MY IS WAITING FOR QUILTING AND WILL BE ON THE MAIL BY NEXT WEEK.
HUGS ELY

Posts: 1776 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: Dec 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sprmom
posted Hide Post
NLK, I need an address to send mine to. I will make sure and get a pix first!!

Posts: 5529 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: Sep 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
We have started, but still have a way to go on ours. I need to work with the girls some weekend, so that we can finish up some of our projects Smile.

Thank you for the reminder!

Posts: 5027 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Check out Debbie's blog & see StinMT's cute, cute doll quilts (from Montana). Those are so cute & thank you for making them for the project.

http://stitchintherapy.blogspot.com/

I love seeing the quilts posted on her blog.

Nicki

Picture of Kim - Strut526
posted Hide Post
My friend,Patty, who made some last year, has been working on them for this years donation. I will make a couple also.

Posts: 11810 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Oh Kim, that is awesome. What great help we are having this year for the children.

THANKS TO EVERYONE!!! Wave

Nicki

Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
I have my pattern and my fabric picked out and packed up. I am going to a retreat week after next and I plan on spending one day making my little quilt.

Posts: 3610 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
My 3 are complete and will be mailed by Friday. I have also included a photo of the lable I put on the back since there has been discussion about how to indicate the state you are representing. This may not be the best way but this is how I did it Smile

Kayla

-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 705 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Oh Kayla, those quilts & the label are perfect. Thank you so much for all the time you put into these for the little girls. I'll send you a p.m. with Debbie's address.

Nicki

posted Hide Post
WOWSER...Kayla those are so inspiring,you put a ton of heart into them.What a gal

May
"In Michigan"

posted Hide Post
I haven't forgotten and am working on them along with other projects. Nothing as intricate as Kayla's...those are awesome!! The label is great and I will do something like that on mine.

Posts: 828 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
The quilts are all boxed up and scheduled for pickup Friday. Here's the tracking number just in case it is needed.

Kayla

-Edgar Allan Poe-

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Here is the latest one out of the doll quilt panels I posted earlier.

Won't mail these till Fall as I hope to keep adding a few more before I send the box... Chris

Posts: 5874 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I have 4 ready to send off to Debbie. These are the 4 that I signed up for but will be sending more as the year progresses. I'm sending 3 just like the one on the left & one with the birds. This is all stash that was given to me. The one on the left is double sided pre-quilted fabric so was very easy to make. All I had to do was put binding on it. The one on the right is a panel piece & all I did to it was back bind & quilt. So easy!

Nicki

Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
Very cute

Kayla

-Edgar Allan Poe-

posted Hide Post
I like your quilts Nicki! I never thought about using a double sided, pre-quilted fabric. Good idea! I love the bird panel!

Posts: 2244 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of amiko
posted Hide Post
Package sent today to Debbie.
amiko

Posts: 368 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of amiko
posted Hide Post
This is a second quilt sent to Debbie.
amiko

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
LOVE the variety of the quilts... Chris

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
amiko, your quilts are lovely. You sure put a lot of time into them & the children will love them. They will look terrific on a hand made doll bed or stroller made by the Woodworker's Guild. Thanks!!!

Nicki

posted Hide Post
Have mine planned, just haven't done them yet. Have a sewing retreat day in a few weeks and looking forward to sewing them up.

Posts: 414 | Registered: Jan 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
This is the one I made. I mailed it today but did not get a cf#.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Happy Erme,

Erma

Smile Craft Happens! Smile

Posts: 3122 | Location: TX | Registered: Mar 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post