Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Stolen Quilt Recovered-Updated 1-28
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stolen Quilt Recovered-Updated 1-28 Sign In/Join 
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted
DSs storage unit was recently burglarized. I found the lock gone probably within 2-3 days of the items being taken. A report was made with the police. Among the items taken was a Rubbermaid-type foot locker filled with many of my 1st DHs personal items, memory book from his funeral, knives, memorabilia... DSs motorcycle riding gear. Oil paintings from my 1970s-80s hobby. First quilt I made for DSs bunk bed.

Our final call that night while DS and I were rehashing the list for the police report he said, I feel as if someone has stolen half my childhood.

During the week, as he remembered items, I refreshed the list and faxed it with our photos of the items or photos of "looks like this" that we found on the internet.

PD has been checking pawn shops and resale shops in the area. DS and I were trolling resale groups on Facebook. I was keeping a check on Craig's List and eBay.

The evening of Monday, Jan. 13, DS called and said, I think that's one of Daddy's hunting knives on Man Cave Resale East TX on Facebook. There were two of those knives tied together with a cord through the belt loop on the leather sheaths. The photo showed one knife and the sheath beside it...with the cord still run through the loop! I scrolled down and said...There's your belt buckle. I immediately contacted a sheriff's deputy that I know who was working the break-in of two units out of town. He was in his patrol car, whipped around and drove back to the sheriff's dept. I then called dispatch and asked them to have a PD officer call me. When I told him what we'd found, he too headed to the Sheriff's office to work with the deputy.

They called me back and put me on the speaker phone. I told them to click on the guy's name. His Facebook account is wide open. He was bragging to his friends about valuable the stuff people throw away. We found three more of DS possessions and mention of another.

The warrant was served yesterday before noon. He confessed. Well...it was in his best interest to confess as he had a room stacked full of boxes of stolen goods. He had been hitting storage units on his 2 hour drive between work and home.

Chief called me after I'd gotten home from work and apologized. He said it took them all afternoon to sort and catalog the goods. Some items are missing...oil paintings for instance because my name was on them I'm sure. He hopes to have them in his possession Friday, get them sorted (as he will have the contents stolen from 3 units in city limits and out in the county), and DS should be able to get his property next week. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16464 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL That was my "long story short" version. You should hear the whole long story. Wink

Suggestions to each of you who have things in storage:
1. Use distinctive boxes. Know the brand/color of plastic storage bins and the number you have. If you are using "repurposed" cardboard boxes, know what was originally in them and is marked on the sides. Most of DSs cardboard boxes were found via Freecycle in the county he moved from. They still have the name and shipping address of the Scentsy dealer on them.

2. Inventory and better yet take photos of the items in each box. If using cardboard boxes, number them and use that number on your inventory list.

3. Pick a storage facility with surveillance cameras! The facility DS used had none. But the facility hit out in the county did...they had the make/color of the car and basic description of the "perps" from the bill of their cap down. When I told the deputy that the guy's Facebook photo showed a slight built man with facial hair, he got real happy.

4. Use a good lock. Whatever you can do to make it take them longer to get into your unit (home for that matter) the least likely they are to take the time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16464 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now the warning:
On Facebook or any other social media - Make DANG certain that your profile is set to private. If you leave it public I can find out:
The town where you live
Where you work
Who your significant other is
Your "lifestyle"
Photos of your Halloween party
Photos of your little nieces and nephews!
Your birthdate - at least the month and day you celebrate
When you wrecked your pickup
That you bought a new double-wide at the end of the summer (exact date it was moved in thanks to your photo documentation
You gave yourself a new Chevrolet pickup from a specific dealership in the town where you work
I know that you collect ET (from the movie) items...but you just lost the one you stole from my son...

If you do not know how to set your privacy settings - and I recommend for Friends Only...not Friends of Friends - grab a 12-year old kid to help you. I had the discussion with DH. His DD was concerned about the photos of our DGD on DDs Facebook. I told her that I kept his privacy settings maintained. So when DH had the deer in the headlights look last night while we were discussing this, I told him that I kept the settings maintained and showed him how to do it himself...but I will continue to keep them checked. After all...the Grands are mine too!

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!!!! GOOD WORK, Detective Stitches!! I wouldn't even know where to start to look for stolen items. Hope I never have to find out! Scary! Eek

Glad you cracked this case! Wow. Great story!

Posts: 5416 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
WOW, just WOW. People are really something. Never surprised at human behavior any more.

Posts: 15197 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
It's good to hear that you recovered DS's quilt and some other items. Too bad y'all had to go through this ordeal. If you hadn't checked the storage unit in a timely manner, this would all have been long gone. WHew!

Posts: 3524 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I'm so impressed with your sleuthing and Texas DETERMINATION!!!

Hero button! Smile

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8386 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of native Texan
posted Hide Post
I:M so glad you are getting some of your things back. I keep on my son and DIl for making their birthyear part of their email addys!! and made them take the school's out and ages and such from my grandkids facebook page!! don't they think? I sure do.

CC

Posts: 4588 | Location: 1,000 miles from home | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are definitely a multi talented lady!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Smoky Mountains TN | Registered: Oct 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Better print this out and add it to your family history book. one to pass down to future generations!

piney

Posts: 3103 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome recovery girl.I'm impressed with your persistence and attitude. Such an ordeal for anyone to go through.I am very glad you are getting some of your possessions back. Thank you much for letting us know.
I do use Facebook for work and quilting but it is getting harder and harder to keep it private,seems they keep taking our choices away.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9880 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TcMay:
...it is getting harder and harder to keep it private,seems they keep taking our choices away.

I know...I check my settings fairly often because FB changes things so often.

Police department got busy today so were unable to go get perp...see how quick the lingo takes hold Smile. He may have bailed out. I checked his FB page late this afternoon...it is gone. Not just privacy settings changed...GONE. Either he bailed out and closed his account. Or he notified a relative/friend to close it. Or someone...possibly the man cave resale page administrator...notified that the guy was a thief and was selling stolen items on Facebook and they shut him down.

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Wow! The only good thing about criminals is that many are stupid!

"Inside every Girl Gone Wild is a quilt loving grandma waiting to come out" - Gabriel Rutledge

Posts: 498 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Good work, Miss Sherry! I hope all of it is eventually returned, but at least some of it will help your DS feel as though he has recovered some of his childhood. Hugs to all of you for getting this "perp" tracked down.

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6522 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
Good job. I'm glad it turned out so well.
Another moral to this story is that it's okay to help the authorities with whatever resources you have.
They're busy, doing their best, but don't always have time to persevere like that.

Posts: 6621 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
I think you missed your calling....you should have been a detective!

Glad things turned out so well.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quiltzilla:
Another moral to this story is that it's okay to help the authorities with whatever resources you have.
They're busy, doing their best, but don't always have time to persevere like that.

Definitely! Even if they have someone dedicated to digging through webpage after webpage looking for you, YOU know exactly what that "thing" looks like. It's not "just a..." So something like that, you are not putting yourself in harms way or getting in the detective/investigator's way.

As long as you let them do their job and don't load up your truck with your BFFs and tasers and go after him yourself.
Wink

posted Hide Post
New addition:
Police chief called me this morning. The boyfriend called and is begging us (son really) to drop charges. They are trying to locate all the property to return to DS. He wanted the Chief to give me his phone number. I did not want the guy's number! I also told Chief I didn't see that happening but as this was DSs property, I would talk to him after he got up later today (works nights-sleeps days). Then I'll call Chief tomorrow.

From the way Chief talked, I rather felt as if he wants things to stay as they are. This is not just one unit the guy ripped off.

Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
Good news on that, Sherry. Stick with it until they can get all the things possible back to DS. Use it for leverage and let them think you are thinking about it!

Madelyn

Posts: 6034 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DS said, Nope.
The more of his property that was located and returned would look good for the judge. Let him impress the judge.

This man showed the type person he is by stealing someone else's property. And what are the chances that this was his first crime spree! Hoping and praying he will learn something and this will be his last.

posted Hide Post
Our county jail has a new resident. He never bonded out of the other county's jail.

Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Let him sit there. Good for your son for not falling for the "pity me" line. I hate that.

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6522 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
Good news and great call. Now, I hope the wheels of justice keep working smoothing in your DS favor.

Madelyn

Posts: 6034 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msbananas
posted Hide Post
WOW!! Good SLeuthing ,Sherry , and glad you stuck with it....and not let the guy off.....

too many deals made with creeps that deserve to spend a bunch of time out

Posts: 2201 | Location: Creating something Fabulous | Registered: Jul 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DS and I went to the police department and he claimed his belongings that were stolen...probably less than half of what was taken as many things - his DDs memory book from the funeral - were too dam-ning for the thief to keep. However, many of 1st DHs personal belongings were there. We were surprised at the little things that had not been trashed. Seeing the ivory-stemmed pipe was a relief, but when I picked up THE pipe that was 1st DHs favorite - well, I almost got a little emotional.

DS needs to inventory his belongings that we moved back to the container on my property so that he has a more accurate list of what is gone and probably trashed so that the judge who hears the case will know the value of what's missing. Main $ thing is his toolbox with wrenches, sockets, etc.